Fourtitude.com - What is the most unique vehicle you have sat in, driven? For me ... 1953 GM Futurliner
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-06-2019 03:29 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by PJA View Post
      I've worked for the museum in a couple of minor roles (like being a basement tour guide) and have volunteered for a number of years. Occasionally I'm asked to help with shuttling cars to and from events and so forth. I've also co-driven in the museum's chase cars and back-ups for their semi-annual Rally for the Lane, where members can "rent" a car from the collection for a planned day drive. Lastly, a couple of times a year there are volunteer appreciation events where volunteers who accrue an certain number of hours worked get to drive a number of select cars from the collection.

It is a wonderful place with great people and is a true treasure, not just to Nashville (it's hands down my favorite place in town), but to the automotive community writ large. I am a lucky son-of-a-bitch who is extremely grateful to the staff and management of the Lane to allow me access to their wonderful collection.
      That's badass, I will luck into that. The rally is definitely on my to-do list now. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-06-2019 03:44 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      That's badass, I will luck into that. The rally is definitely on my to-do list now. Thanks!
      You're very welcome! Let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

4. Member
      Cars
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      12-06-2019 06:01 PM #53
      I did have a tour of a VW Bugster, it's a kit car based on the classic beetle but they guy had just finished working on it so I didn't get the chance to drive it.
      https://www.ziovasbugster.com/

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      12-07-2019 12:28 AM #54
      Nothing compared to some other TCL'ers but I sat in one of these. Armored F-Series built from a local shop.

Really a fan of this thread, keep them coming!!

6. Member
      Cars
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      12-07-2019 03:25 AM #55
      Why have just one front axle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgkAq_J9_w0

These were actually very nice for cross country trips.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

Cars
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      12-07-2019 08:09 PM #56
      Most unique is any number of the vehicles we've built at work, most notably the custom chassis 47 Cadillac, the suicide doored quad headlamp 60s Ford Econoline pickup, or the rat truck amalgamation of parts had a GoodGuys Nashville this past spring. Really though, it's the 70 Cuda we're still building as most of that car is custom built at this point.

Last edited by NashGTI; 12-07-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Twin TurboCharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      12-07-2019 09:10 PM #57

When I first started at FJ, there was an owner of a C8 in the area and we did all of the service on it. It was soooo sexy. Havnet seen one on the street since.

It was an early car and had the non airbag steering wheel
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

9. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-07-2019 10:22 PM #58
      Awesome to see a thread on the Futurliner. A few years back I passed a caravan of 3 Futurliners on the Ohio Turnpike...did not know what I saw at the time.

10. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-07-2019 10:32 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Pulaski53 View Post
      Does a late 90s Porsche bicycle count?
      Awesome! Does a 70's John Deere bike count? My parents had matching Deere bikes - his was green with white, and hers was white with green:

Continuing on the Deere riff, the coolest thing I ever drove was a prototype Deere skid steer loader, like this one. Fun to do nose wheelies in:

11. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf Alltrack S 6MT, 1985 Cabriolet
      12-08-2019 12:51 PM #60
      For me, it was riding in a truly unique automobile...a 1911 Stafford thought to be the last Stafford automobile in existence. A friend of my parents took care of it and drove it to car shows for the quite elderly owner of the car (whose name I believe was Stafford, if I remember correctly...). Quite the experience, sitting quite far up *on* the car (you don't really feel like you are sitting *in* such a car...), of course no seat belts, but also no doors, no enclosing bodywork!

In the years since, we've lost track of the car...I did notice an article about a 1911 Stafford at the Harry Truman Library (he owned one long before becoming President) which was supposed to be the only one known to exist, but it had a raceabout-style body on it...did this one get rebodied? Or are there two?

http://www.brassauto.com/brass-pages...Stafford-1.jpg

http://www.brassauto.com/brass-pages...Stafford-2.jpg

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      12-08-2019 09:14 PM #61
      Mrs. DonL worked for a few years at the Motorsports Hall of Fame when it was in Novi, MI. It was a great opportunity to see a bunch of classics and sit in them. Early Garlits Top Fuel car, a Bernstein funny car, Rick Mears and Al Unser Indy cars, a Darrel Waltrip NASCAR, an Archer race Comanche. The most unique, though, was the Cyclops.

One of Hank's old 999 cars was pretty unique, too, for the sheer historical aspect.

Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      06 4runner
      12-09-2019 12:23 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Awesome! Does a 70's John Deere bike count? My parents had matching Deere bikes - his was green with white, and hers was white with green:

Continuing on the Deere riff, the coolest thing I ever drove was a prototype Deere skid steer loader, like this one. Fun to do nose wheelies in:

I worked at a job in my early 20’s where I got to operate Bobcat skid steer loader and a couple of JCB front end loaders and an old Kumatsu. The Bobcat was by far the most fun. I did almost die when loading a 800lb boulder on a truck.

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      12-09-2019 09:25 AM #63
      It doesn't come close to any of these examples....but experiencing Ludicrous+ mode in my boss's Tesla Model S P100D was pretty amazing

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Cars
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-09-2019 12:30 PM #64
      I had completely blanked about this until my wife reminded me this weekend (the cars, not the event), but we got married (and had our reception) at the Marathon Motor Works here in Nashville. Marathon was a fledgling automaker based in Nashville from 1907 to 1914. They have a small museum that has four cars of only eight or nine Marathons know left in existence, and they graciously allowed us and our photographer to use the space before our ceremony upstairs. We said our vows in the front seat of this white 1911 Marathon Winner

16. Senior Member
      12-09-2019 12:53 PM #65
      My wife has a 1966 Austin Mini Moke.

It's threads like this that remind me that I never should have sold my 1966 Austin Mini Cooper S with some racing history and the rare 970-cc "S" engine only available by special order through Cooper garages. Only 500 970-cc S engines were done to provide for homologation and allow racing for 5 years. It's in a personal museum now.

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      12-09-2019 01:01 PM #66
      1951 Daimler DB 18 Drop Head Coupe Special Sports

My dad had one for a while back in the 90s. Unique would describe it. Low production numbers (~600). Had a Pre-Select transmission, where you choose the gear you want then press the selector pedal on the floor to shift. Suicide doors. Three-seater (two in the front, one sideways in the back that was reversible, could point to the left or the right)

I have pictures somewhere, so I had to resort to similar pictures from the internet. His was dark blue on silver.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      12-09-2019 01:12 PM #67
      I had completely blanked about this until my wife reminded me this weekend (the cars, not the event), but we got married (and had our reception) at the Marathon Motor Works here in Nashville. Marathon was a fledgling automaker based in Nashville from 1907 to 1914. They have a small museum that has four cars of only eight or nine Marathons know left in existence, and they graciously allowed us and our photographer to use the space before our ceremony upstairs. We said our vows in the front seat of this white 1911 Marathon Winner

I'm glad you mentioned weddings, I'd completely forgotten.

And I forgot this bugger, too. This was a good friend of mine's. Total riot to drive, felt like we could have dedded any time.

Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      12-09-2019 02:42 PM #68

[IMG]https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/58656f6c6a4963597fec5e1a/1501619563718-LOA18G56GC66R34UPE9H/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kKkQuhBK5E489y_ACSsSeRsUqsxRUq qbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIII bLZhVYxCRW4BPu10St3TBAUQYVKc30lWULOswG5qpiNH0TirtT phNaliB3CQ-pPwrJpZkr-sz0HXJGv8grZVoAcpZ3Y-/Screen+Shot+2017-07-31+at+6.59.42+PM.png?format=750w[IMG]
      Marathon should be much more celebrated as an early car company than the basically forgotten than it is now. Being the first company to produce an entire car at any sort of volume was and still would be an achievement if they were recognized.

Cars
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-14-2019 08:52 PM #69
      Thought about this thread today... Back when Weymouth Honda was a car dealership and not a stealership, the owner had a few awesome cars in the showroom... one of them was a Qvale Mangusta... That's gotta be the rarest car I've ever sat in.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

01-13-2020 11:44 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post
      Barry can’t play in this thread. That’s just cheating.
      Awww, c'mon!

I would say that sitting behind the wheel of the GM LeSabre was the best experience. I tried to get into the German U-boat in Chicago and one of the Futurliners, but my shoulders were too wide for the passageway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123