Fourtitude.com - CNBC: Why Station Wagons Are More Popular In Europe Than America [VIDEO]
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

12-05-2019 12:23 PM #1
      Here's my take on this:

I don't know about Europe, but the American infrastructure is crumbling. Roads, bridges, water pipes, power grids, etc. Sedans, wagons, and other smaller cars now are struggling to meet the needs of everyday Americans that drive to work and other life events. Wagons are no different than sedans and do not offer the same driving comfort as a crossover. Let's face it also, wagons have evolved. Crossovers are nothing but lifted wagons with bigger tires and ground clearance and most of them come with AWD standard. Like they mention in the video, the Subaru Outback is more of a wagon, but in reality it is a crossover. I love my wife's crossover, and mind you, I used to be a staunch anti-crossover guy myself. But now, I could never see myself going back to a sedan/wagon/hatch for DD. But whole point being, crossovers have a lot to offer in every single way as a transportation device. Very decent MPGs, more room, bigger tires, more comfort, AWD... crossovers are excellent choices.

2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-05-2019 12:29 PM #2
      R

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      12-05-2019 04:47 PM #3
      Id drive a wagon at 120mph all day long but wouldn't do it in a SUV on the Autobahn off course.

In reality, Europe is turning into a crossover place too.

5. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-05-2019 04:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      Id drive a wagon at 120mph all day long but wouldn't do it in a SUV on the Autobahn off course.

12-05-2019 04:55 PM #5

Be real tho, you doing 120mph is like extremely rare. 99.99% of normal commuter drivers will not hit those speeds.
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Cars
      Perpetual QX60 loaner, theoretical lifted G37 wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      12-05-2019 05:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      But whole point being, crossovers have a lot to offer in every single way as a transportation device. Very decent MPGs, more room, bigger tires, more comfort, AWD... crossovers are excellent choices.
      That they do. I recently bought what I guess can be called a mini-crossover or a slightly lifted wagon, and I have to say, even with the slight increase in ride height, it is less annoying in traffic. The ride is also much better than my old car. Overall, it's just easier. That said, it's not as practical as a decent-sized sedan (outlier here, for sure). I have a big CUV loaner at the moment (and will for at least a couple more weeks... ), and I totally get the appeal of going that route. It's comfy, has more than enough room for whatever I'll ever need to put in it, and my head is not at F150 bumper height. It's a great tool for driving around. Fun? Not really. But that's not the point.

All of that said, if there were even one appealing wagon out there (that I can afford... I'm looking at you, E63), I'd have been interested.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      12-05-2019 05:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      Be real tho, you doing 120mph is like extremely rare. 99.99% of normal commuter drivers will not hit those speeds.
      It depends where on the autobahn I suppose. I was doing around 120mph outside of Munich last year and actually had to yield to faster traffic several times.

9. Member
      12-05-2019 06:03 PM #8

Why would you not do it in an SUV if it was designed for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      It depends where on the autobahn I suppose. I was doing around 120mph outside of Munich last year and actually had to yield to faster traffic several times.
      There will always be someone faster, but at least you can try to keep up with them after they pass you.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

10. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      12-05-2019 06:21 PM #9

Funny you say that. The one time I rented a car in Germany, I ordered a 3er Touring or similar, and when I showed up to Sixt they gave a F15 X5. Pretty great at 130 mph on the highway, peaking at the HUD to see when the unrestricted zone was ending. Not as fun in small towns. You can see why a car like an X5 is/was considered full size.

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      12-05-2019 07:35 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      Why would you not do it in an SUV if it was designed for it?
      The SUV that I want is a plain X5d which I'm not sure will do 120mph. I guess I forgot about the performance SUV's which I would never buy. I have driven my Frontier at like 110mph and it was shaking like crazy! So yeah, you could take a X5 to high speeds but I would feel less safe than in a wagon. In city driving, you are safer in a SUV.

12. 12-06-2019 04:35 PM #11
      For all intents and purposes the SUV is a wagon. Yes its higher, has AWD, blah, blah but its a wagon make no mistake.

13. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      12-06-2019 04:38 PM #12
      The SUV that I want is a plain X5d which I'm not sure will do 120mph. I guess I forgot about the performance SUV's which I would never buy. I have driven my Frontier at like 110mph and it was shaking like crazy! So yeah, you could take a X5 to high speeds but I would feel less safe than in a wagon. In city driving, you are safer in a SUV.
      The rental I had was an X5 30d and it was smooth as silk at 120 mph. It takes a hell of a lot of concentration to drive long periods at that clip though. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to drive 5-10 mins at 130 mph vs 110 mph

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      12-06-2019 05:55 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      R
      O