Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-23-2019 12:55 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      I can't remember Toyota ever offering America a souped up entry level vehicle. Before the Yaris, the Starlet just stayed econo without going for high performance.
      FX-16 is the only one that comes to mind.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...olla-fx16-gts/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-23-2019 12:57 PM #27
      Here's a good article from Australia...

The Toyota Yaris GR is unlike anything Toyota has done in a long time

:

It’s been too long since Toyota did anything like the GR Yaris, and Naohiko Saito knows it. The car’s chief engineer is emotional as he describes his project as the first truly Toyota sports car in decades.

The Japanese giant has two sports cars in its current line-up, but both these rear-drive coupes are joint creations. Toyota teamed with Subaru to develop the 86 and BMW to create the new GR Supra (GR stands for Gazoo Racing). For the all-wheel-drive GR Yaris, Toyota turned instead to its company library

There engineer Saito found the records for the Celica GT-Four, the company’s last completely home-made sports coupe. He studied the old technical papers carefully before beginning work on the GR Yaris three years ago.

With a turbocharged 2.0-litre engine and all-wheel-drive, the Celica GT-Four was the basis for a string of World Rally Championship titles through the middle 1990s, driven by stars like Sainz, Kankkunen and Auriol. Despite the success, Toyota killed the GT-Four in 1999.

:

The GR Yaris, due to reach Australia late in 2020, will strive to emulate its forebear. As well as providing a basis for both WRC and Australian Rally Championship racers, it will add some sporty spice to Toyota showrooms.

It will be a very different car from the new-generation Yaris that arrives in the middle of next year. The GR Yaris is a three-door hatch, not five-door like the normal version. Toyota’s all-new 1.6-litre turbo three-cylinder engine will be seen for the first time in the GR Yaris. Maximum power will be around 185kW, similar to the final version of the Celica GT-Four, and torque will peak above 350Nm. These are impressively high numbers for an engine this size.

Further details were revealed by Saito at a recent long-range preview in Portugal. The car will have a six-speed manual transmission, and its full-time all-wheel-drive system is based on one used in the RAV4. The system varies the power split between front and rear axles according to the mode chosen by the driver; Normal is 60:40, Sport 30:70 and Track 50:50.

Multilink rear suspension replaces the simple bendy beam of the normal Yaris. Bigger, more powerful brake discs and calipers fill the 18-inch wheels of the GR Yaris, and a new rack makes its steering more direct.

:

Toyota promises the GR Yaris will be a lightweight. Its carbon fibre roof and aluminium doors and bonnet ensure it will come in under 1300kg. Lack of flab plus ample power adds up to a sub-6.0 second 0-100km/h time, according to Toyota.

Big power in a small car practically guarantees big-smile fun behind the wheel, but the GR Yaris is laugh-out-loud good. Toyota hired the Estoril Grand Prix circuit near Lisbon for a first taste of the car, then let us loose on winding Portuguese roads sometimes used as rally stages.

The throbby three-cylinder engine is a ripper, combining oodles of low-down oomph with great willingness to rev all the way to its 7000rpm redline. Slick shifting gears, strong brakes, quick-acting steering and firmly disciplined suspension complete an impressive dynamic picture.

After hitting 200km/h-plus down Estoril’s long straight and carving neat lines through its corners, the GR Yaris handled public roads with equal skill. The engine’s mid-range muscle makes it a quiet top-gear cruiser that’s ever-ready to overtake. While sporty, the suspension rounds the rougher edges off road bumps.

:

At $35,000, a little above front-drive rivals like the VW Polo GTI and Renault Clio RS200, the Made-in-Japan GR Yaris would be a bargain.

“We understand that the car’s got to be attainable,” says Sean Hanley. But the Toyota Australia sales and marketing chief won’t say what price he has in mind for the GR Yaris.

There are indications it could be costly. Hanley says the Performance Pack version of the GR Yaris, with limited-slip differentials front and rear, premium Michelin rubber and altered shock absorbers, will not come to Australia. This could be a cost-containment measure.

The car’s Japanese creators are focused on making the GR Yaris affordable. “We must find more ways to reduce cost,” admits Takashi Doi, assistant chief engineer, discussing preparations for production.

But for the moment, Toyota deserves some kudos for rekindling its long-dormant sporting spirit. It’s about time …

Toyota is shy about taking on a long-established legend with the GR Yaris. The Subaru WRX is larger, with a bigger engine, but not invincible. “Even if it has a 2.2-litre turbo engine, we have to compete with it,” says Naohiko Saito, chief engineer of the 1.6-litre turbo GR Yaris.

:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...d9e15331534eaa

:

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      12-23-2019 01:01 PM #28
      I can't remember Toyota ever offering America a souped up entry level vehicle. Before the Yaris, the Starlet just stayed econo without going for high performance.
      The Corolla was the basic entry level Toyota for decades and there was usually a "souped up" version of it for many years. Like the FX16 above, there was the GT-S version of the RWD Corolla in the mid '80s which became a FWD GT-S in the late '80s.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Cars
      2018 F150
      12-23-2019 01:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      FX-16 is the only one that comes to mind.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...olla-fx16-gts/
      That's a Corolla, not a Tercel.
      "Entry level".
      And even if Toyota sold that gen Yaris in he US, we would not get this version of the car.
      No way.
      Toyota hasn't given the US market a rally based version of a car since the All-Trac Turbo Celica.

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      12-23-2019 01:39 PM #30
      They did have lots of catalog parts back in the day, though! I had one while I worked at the Toyota dealership and went through it. There were fiberglass wide fenders and other body parts, lexan windows, suspension/brake upgrades, engine upgrades (though I don't remember what those were now), and even motor mounts to stuff a 20R (pickup engine) in there! There is a class of racing Starlets in Japan and I'm sure they were all using those parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

7. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      12-23-2019 02:59 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They did have lots of catalog parts back in the day, though! I had one while I worked at the Toyota dealership and went through it. There were fiberglass wide fenders and other body parts, lexan windows, suspension/brake upgrades, engine upgrades (though I don't remember what those were now), and even motor mounts to stuff a 20R (pickup engine) in there! There is a class of racing Starlets in Japan and I'm sure they were all using those parts.
      I believe it, I believe high performance Starlets were available in Japan that Toyota just thought wasn't worth shipping here at the time.

Cars
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      12-23-2019 03:13 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post

At $35,000, a little above front-drive rivals like the VW Polo GTI and Renault Clio RS200, the Made-in-Japan GR Yaris would be a bargain.

:
      Wait, wait, wait. 35,000 AUD is under 25,000 USD. Holy ****.
      I'm actually pretty sure if they sold this in the US for $25k, they'd flying off the shelves (with stupid ADM the first year). ****, I have a goal of not buying a new car because **** car payments, but I'd have a car payment (assuming I fit).
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-23-2019 03:52 PM #33
      I mean... that's about right if you take the price of a Fiesta ST ($22,500), then add $1500 for AWD (it's a $1400 option on the RAV4)
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      12-23-2019 03:54 PM #34
      Although I'm still skeptical about Triples, 35K in Australian funny money is a steal. That's several thousand less than a (2wd) Civic Type R.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      "Entry level".
      And even if Toyota sold that gen Yaris in he US, we would not get this version of the car.
      No way.
      Toyota hasn't given the US market a rally based version of a car since the All-Trac Turbo Celica.
      "entry level" doesn't have to strictly mean a subcompact or the absolute bottom of the rung. Calling the Corolla that isn't inappropriate just because the Tercel/echo/ Yaris exists.
      Last edited by 88c900t; 12-23-2019 at 03:57 PM.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      12-23-2019 04:08 PM #35
      I love it so so so so so much.
      My Flickr // IG - @mwoodski
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

12-23-2019 04:16 PM #36
      I too have my doubts about the price. The Toyota 86 starts at $36,136 AUD according to toyota.com.au with Melbourne set as the location and $41,555 for the GTS model. I just can't picture them selling a significantly more powerful AWD sports coupe for less money than the base price of the 2WD, less powerful, non-turbocharged Toyota 86.

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      12-23-2019 04:25 PM #37
      This is surely a great car, and a very unique proposition in the hot hatch segment. But all that engineering is going to cost a lot of $$$$ and if this came here it would be >$35k which is absurd for such a car, and it would sell in the dozens...

Cars
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      12-23-2019 04:28 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I too have my doubts about the price. The Toyota 86 starts at $36,136 AUD according to toyota.com.au with Melbourne set as the location and $41,555 for the GTS model. I just can't picture them selling a significantly more powerful AWD sports coupe for less money than the base price of the 2WD, less powerful, non-turbocharged Toyota 86.
      Yeah cars in AU are expensive. I'd expect a 35k AUD car to sell in the US for more like 20USD.
      It would be ****ing amazing though. I'd buy 2.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

15. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      12-23-2019 04:36 PM #39
      This thing looks really fun. I did my part and bought a Fiesta ST brand new, and would definitely consider this thing if it were available in the states.

Cars
      12-23-2019 05:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      "Entry level".
      You are being pedantic, a Corolla is very much an “entry level” Toyota.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-23-2019 05:47 PM #41
      Yeah, and the Yaris hasn't really existed after about 2013 or so. Dealers would have two or three on the lot, not in a desirable spec, and with no incentives-- and about 80 Corollas that they were dealin' on.

When I bought mine, it was the only 5-speed one in the entire DFW area.

Cars
      12-23-2019 06:05 PM #42
      I was behind a Scion IM at the car wash today (this gen, I think) and it made me think of this thread.

This was a good looking little hatch.

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      12-23-2019 06:53 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I was behind a Scion IM at the car wash today (this gen, I think) and it made me think of this thread.

This was a good looking little hatch.
      It's too bad it came before the Corolla's new 160 hp engine.

The iM is really Toyota's modern Matrix/Vibe, and it's funny when you stop and think about it, but those were really ahead of their time and forward thinking, esp. for offering awd.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Yeah, and the Yaris hasn't really existed after about 2013 or so. Dealers would have two or three on the lot, not in a desirable spec, and with no incentives-- and about 80 Corollas that they were dealin' on.

When I bought mine, it was the only 5-speed one in the entire DFW area.
      Wasn't the Yaris still in production until 2017 or so? Or was it replaced with the Scion iA (ie the Mazda2 sedan)

I thought it was odd at the time the two of them created a redundancy...
      Last edited by 88c900t; 12-23-2019 at 06:55 PM.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-23-2019 07:09 PM #44
      I meant "effectively" - it existed but was really hard to find. It was refreshed twice after my 2012. The OG round ones are all over the place here but mine is uncommon and the refreshed ones (projector headlights) exponentially moreso, with by two year for the final incarnation.

Cars
      Several.
      12-23-2019 07:44 PM #45
      C'mon Toyota. Make it so.

I'd gladly come back to you for a neat little pocket rocket like this.

Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      12-23-2019 11:15 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      It's too bad it came before the Corolla's new 160 hp engine.
      Yes to that. However, the iM is really nice on paper, but I found it a real letdown when test driving a lightly used one about a year and a half ago. Clutch take-up, shifter and engine response were all really disappointing...

The iM is really Toyota's modern Matrix/Vibe, and it's funny when you stop and think about it, but those were really ahead of their time and forward thinking, esp. for offering awd.
      Absolutely, I wish there was a similar offering now... From base models, up to AWD option (IIRC Auto only) and the rev happy (but poorly geared) XRS trim.

Wasn't the Yaris still in production until 2017 or so? Or was it replaced with the Scion iA (ie the Mazda2 sedan)

I thought it was odd at the time the two of them created a redundancy...
      I was in the market in early 2018 and absolutely could not find any manual trans Yaris (Yari?) in the NY Tri-state area to try out...

23. 01-10-2020 06:46 AM #47
      272hp, 370nm 1.6 Turbo 3 cylinder (G16E-GTS). 1280kg 3 door body with Aluminum doors, hood, hatch & CF roof. "GR4" Sports awd system with selectable 60/40, 30/70 or 50/50 split paired to a 6 speed manual transmission. 356mm/4 piston front 297mm/2 piston rear brakes. 0-100km/h in under 5.5s

Assembly at Toyota'a Motomachi Plant

24. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-10-2020 06:49 AM #48
      I double-dog-dare Toyota to sell this in North America.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

25. 01-10-2020 08:40 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom21 View Post
      I actually saw what might have been this exact car being driven through the streets of Tarragona, Spain last month. This is the first new car that actually excites me. It ticks many of the boxes in my mind:

• Small, relatively light and rather practical
      • Reliable (assumption based on Toyota's proven record) and economical (can't be too bad on fuel nor maintenance can it?)
      • Manual
      • Relatively simple
      • Rally inspired
      • Homage to cars of the homologation performance specials of the 90s
      • Potentially usable as a daily
      • Affordable

Sign me up! The want is bad, now if only they did a 4-door version.

Cars
      F30 335, '15 Tahoe
      01-10-2020 08:54 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I double-dog-dare Toyota to sell this in North America.
      I Triple-dog-dare them. Now they have to.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast