Fourtitude.com - BMW reverses stance on CarPlay Fees
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      12-05-2019 11:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      What? All Toyota models have it for 2020. Even the oldies like the 4runner, Sequoia and 86. Check the website if you don't believe me. And that includes Android auto and carplay.
      The very first one I clicked on is the Prius, since it's a high tech model. Apple Carplay, but no Android Auto. I'm not going to check the rest of them when the most high tech car they sell doesn't support AA.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-05-2019 11:47 AM #27
      Yeah Google seriously steals sensitive data in the process and Porsche and BMW really don't want to offer it. Toyota and Lexus held out for a while for this exact reason, but in the end they caved because their competition was pushing how they had it when Toyota didn't. Pretty sad that middle Americans are too naive to notice their data being stolen like this. They wouldn't give their ssn to a stranger and hope for the best, but they would plug their phone into their car and transmit private data every day.
      Most people have no idea how much info Google harvests via Android. Just an example if you have an Android phone go to your Google account online - you will see that its been tracking every place you have been along with how long were there. It shows it on a map. You can be dam sure that others can see it as well. Thats just the tip of the iceberg, everything you look at on the web, every person you contact, every EVERYTHING they collect. And you want to tie your car into it? No thanks. I just know on pretty much any Android phone there is a ton of crap running that has very little to do with what you are doing. And thats what kills the battery life.

Apple is supposedly a bit better about privacy but who the heck really knows. Nobody really knows.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-05-2019 11:57 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/2...al-fee-vehicle :

"BMW has backtracked on its controversial decision to charge an annual fee for the use of Apple’s CarPlay in its vehicles, according to 9to5Mac. Since 2016, the German automaker has required owners to pay extra to use CarPlay — first as a one-time $300 option and then later as an $80-a-year fee. Now it appears that BMW has seen the error of its ways.

It was a questionable decision from the start, considering no other automaker makes its customers pay for the use of CarPlay. A BMW spokesperson noted that the change will apply to both US-based and UK-based customers. Anyone who owns 2019 or 2020 model year vehicles and current BMW-Apple CarPlay subscribers will shortly no longer have to pay for a monthly or annual subscription, the spokesperson said. However, this process may take several weeks to complete for existing accounts."

Way to go BMW.
      Was MINI doing the same $80/yr fee? If they were, will they also reverse course and make it free like every other auto manufacturer? It would make the Mini Cooper EV slightly more interesting.

5. 12-05-2019 12:06 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The very first one I clicked on is the Prius, since it's a high tech model. Apple Carplay, but no Android Auto. I'm not going to check the rest of them when the most high tech car they sell doesn't support AA.
      It has been trickling into the lineup seemingly without any notice- They really did not want to offer it due to security concerns. Having said that, your argument is bogus as they will all have it soon enough.

6. 12-05-2019 12:08 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      Most people have no idea how much info Google harvests via Android. Just an example if you have an Android phone go to your Google account online - you will see that its been tracking every place you have been along with how long were there. It shows it on a map. You can be dam sure that others can see it as well. Thats just the tip of the iceberg, everything you look at on the web, every person you contact, every EVERYTHING they collect. And you want to tie your car into it? No thanks. I just know on pretty much any Android phone there is a ton of crap running that has very little to do with what you are doing. And thats what kills the battery life.

Apple is supposedly a bit better about privacy but who the heck really knows. Nobody really knows.
      Yeah the other thing is, when you plug it into your car, it takes a ton of data from the vehicle as well including avg speed, mpg, gps data etc. It then uses that mined data to sell to places like insurance companies which is super shady.

Apple has always touted that they are the security conscious phone maker- but I am sure it is a bunch of BS and probably just like dieselgate in that it is all for show until they get caught.

7. 12-05-2019 12:11 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Was MINI doing the same $80/yr fee? If they were, will they also reverse course and make it free like every other auto manufacturer? It would make the Mini Cooper EV slightly more interesting.
      I just can't get an answer on this one- As I understand, Mini includes carplay through their connected service which is similar to BMW connected in that it uses apps to access carplay. However, it just lists it as a feature when you upgrade to the connected nav, and doesn't tell you whether it is subscription based, or just free. I am going to imagine it is very similar to BMW.

And on that front, what about Rolls? I know for a fact they list the connected carplay on the models such as the cullinan. Am I really to believe they were charging people a monthly fee to use it on a $350k car? Maybe..

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      12-05-2019 12:12 PM #32
      There are also people who don't even bother to use the AA/CP technology that comes with their car. I know my sister is one of them. She would rather hold her phone in her hand while navigating with it than figure out how to use AA connected to our Ford Escape when I loan it to her.
      I don't use them either. The stock Audi interface is fine, and I can wait a few minutes to read the rare text I get when half the people I know are commuting the same time I am.

9. Senior Member
      12-05-2019 12:24 PM #33
      There are also people who don't even bother to use the AA/CP technology that comes with their car. I know my sister is one of them. She would rather hold her phone in her hand while navigating with it than figure out how to use AA connected to our Ford Escape when I loan it to her.
      GF has a rental fusion with AA/CP right now. Had never used CP (I'm on android and she will be in a few days) so before she left for a 200 mile trip in it I made sure to figure it out and show her how to use it on her trip.

Hated it, blamed it for some weird traffic rerouting despite me explaining it was all coming from her phone like normal and had some other nonsensical complaints....

Only thing she liked was it reading her texts, which once I confirmed worked I kept sending texts that said nothing but "titties" because she was amused with how it said it.

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-05-2019 12:27 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I don't use them either. The stock Audi interface is fine, and I can wait a few minutes to read the rare text I get when half the people I know are commuting the same time I am.
      Same here, I dont need GPS telling me how to get to work and home everyday. Heck 99.9% of my driving does not require my phone to be plugged in. I can stream via BT, so I don't need my phone plugged in. Unless I'm doing a road trip for hours, where I want to retain battery life, I never plug my phone in even though I have CP/AA .

11. 12-05-2019 12:47 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Same here, I dont need GPS telling me how to get to work and home everyday. Heck 99.9% of my driving does not require my phone to be plugged in. I can stream via BT, so I don't need my phone plugged in. Unless I'm doing a road trip for hours, where I want to retain battery life, I never plug my phone in even though I have CP/AA .
      My biggest gripe with AA was that the update to the new version always defaulted to google maps when plugged in. So I ended up disabling google maps on my phone so that it would not even show up on AA anymore. I do like it for spotify because it allows full control of the interface and shows album artwork- two things that BT audio doesn't afford me in the Arteon.

12. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-05-2019 01:03 PM #36
      Apple has always touted that they are the security conscious phone maker- but I am sure it is a bunch of BS and probably just like dieselgate in that it is all for show until they get caught.
      Follow the money--Google profits from data, Apple profits from hardware. That's not to say Apple isn't mining data...I remember once time pulling over to the side of an empty country road to fix something rattling in the glovebox. I had Apple Maps navigating, and wouldn't you know it, after about 30 seconds it showed yellow "traffic" right at my location.

That said, I don't mind using Carplay and I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Android or use AA if I wasn't so ingrained in the Apple sphere. It might be creepy, but big data is everywhere now and it is what it is in many ways.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-05-2019 01:06 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Follow the money--Google profits from data, Apple profits from hardware. That's not to say Apple isn't mining data...I remember once time pulling over to the side of an empty country road to fix something rattling in the glovebox. I had Apple Maps navigating, and wouldn't you know it, after about 30 seconds it showed yellow "traffic" right at my location.

That said, I don't mind using Carplay and I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Android or use AA if I wasn't so ingrained in the Apple sphere. It might be creepy, but big data is everywhere now and it is what it is in many ways.

Just think of all the data Tesla owners are giving up! All those sensors and cameras. Way more than just what an android phone provides to google.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 01:43 PM #38
      I don't need GPS to work, but I have multiple roads to get to work, I like that I can, at a glance, see which is most congested so I can pick my route, plus it gives me an ETA which is nice.

And the integration with various music apps is great, plus I use the voice to text alllllll the time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

15. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-05-2019 02:10 PM #39
      Why do I need CarPlay when I can just hold my phone in my hand?
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

12-05-2019 02:16 PM #40
      It has been trickling into the lineup seemingly without any notice- They really did not want to offer it due to security concerns. Having said that, your argument is bogus as they will all have it soon enough.
      How if my argument bogus if I walk into a Toyota dealer today, buy a brand new Toyota and now for the next 10 years, I have to drive a car that won't talk to my smartphone? Toyota adding it "soon enough" doesn't affect me when I buy a car that doesn't have it. At least BMWs have it.

Cars
      2018 Golf R, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 13 FR-S, 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta 1.8T, 85 Supra
      12-05-2019 02:38 PM #41
      Different strokes I guess. I have a DDock (3d printed cubby dock) so it's actually the most convenient place to put my phone, and it's always charging as a bonus, so it's on for every single drive even 5 blocks away. I can imagine the armrests with the wireless charge pads will be the same once they get wireless AA/CP working well. My point wasn't that everyone will use it, just that by limiting it you're alienating the people that do for no real good business reason.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      12-05-2019 02:40 PM #42
      Check here for compatibility:

https://www.android.com/auto/

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      12-05-2019 02:42 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post

I realize this was the idea of a "brilliant" MBA, but I doubt this will be the last of the battles on what automakers should include v. charge a subscription. Ford was all set to charge for telematics/remote start/etc. when they realized there are far more opportunities for developers if the connection is free and included with every car.
      I believe the issue was that every time Apple makes a change, it could affect how AA works thus requiring BMW to make sure it was compatible with their cars. BMW wanted to be compensated for having to update their system regularly.

20. Senior Member
      12-05-2019 02:45 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      I believe the issue was that every time Apple makes a change, it could affect how AA works thus requiring BMW to make sure it was compatible with their cars. BMW wanted to be compensated for having to update their system regularly.
      I really hope Apple isn't breaking Android Auto with updates

21. 12-05-2019 03:21 PM #45
      How if my argument bogus if I walk into a Toyota dealer today, buy a brand new Toyota and now for the next 10 years, I have to drive a car that won't talk to my smartphone? Toyota adding it "soon enough" doesn't affect me when I buy a car that doesn't have it. At least BMWs have it.
      Because your original argument was that Toyota didn't have carplay or AA- They all have CP for 2020 except for the Land Cruiser, and 10 out of 16 models have AA for 2020, with the promise that they will all have AA soon. SO there are plenty of Toyotas with the ability to talk to both kinds of smartphones right now.

Yes BMW has CP, but no AA whatsoever, so a strange counterpoint..
      Last edited by ice4life; 12-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.

22. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-05-2019 03:29 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Check here for compatibility:

https://www.android.com/auto/
      Android Auto is compatible with the following vehicles.
      4Runner 2020-
      Aygo 2018-
      Sequoia 2020-
      Tacoma 2020-
      Tundra 2020-
      Yaris (Europe Only) 2019-
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

12-05-2019 03:34 PM #47
      Ferrari charges $4,219 for CarPlay.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-05-2019 03:45 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Why do I need CarPlay when I can just hold my phone in my hand?

25. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-05-2019 03:45 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by LaFerrari View Post
      Ferrari charges $4,219 for CarPlay.
      I wonder if that's a cash grab, or rather, if it's there way of saying "fine, if you must have it, here."

AFAIK no Porsche comes standard with keyless entry, and it's usually a >$1k option. I've heard from a few different people it's because the company doesn't really care for their cars to have it, but comply because of demand.

26. 12-05-2019 03:54 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Android Auto is compatible with the following vehicles.
      4Runner 2020-
      Aygo 2018-
      Sequoia 2020-
      Tacoma 2020-
      Tundra 2020-
      Yaris (Europe Only) 2019-
      That list is obviously old; If you go on Toyota's website the following vehicles have AA for 2020 (in addition to CP):
      4Runner
      Sequoia
      Tacoma
      Tundra
      Yaris (US version Mazda 2)
      Highlander
      CH-R
      Rav-4
      Camry

So 10 out of 16 models is not bad at all.. And the other 6 models all offer CarPlay with the exception of the Land Cruiser which is on the way out. Also don't forget the Supra is a BMW hence the lack of AA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast