Fourtitude.com - URO Serpentine Belt Tensioner Cracked?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 12-04-2019 01:29 PM #1
      Hi all. I recently purchased an accessory belt tensioner from URO Parts because it was reasonably priced. However, after receiving it I noticed that parts of the metal base appear to have minor cracking, almost like a hairline fracture. The crack doesn't seem to be very deep and it also isn't spanning the entire circumference of the base.

I'm trying to decide if this is a definite no-go and needs to be returned...or if it's still solid and safe to use. As it just applies tension to the accessory belt, it doesn't seem like the load placed on the part is excessive. Obviously a new part with no crack would be preferable, but that would take at least another week, during which time my car would be out of commission.

I'll add some pics as soon as I figure out how, but just looking for opinions on whether anyone would risk it or if I just need to be patient and wait for a new part. 🙂

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      12-05-2019 01:56 AM #2
      The tensioner's job is not apply tension and also to keep the belt from bouncing around too much. Long-term, bouncing belts won't be good for any of the bearings along its path (e.g. alternator, a/c compressor, etc.)

If you keep the URO, it'll probably work for a while but you'll need to replace it much sooner than if you went with an OEM-quality part. URO products are cheap, but they don't have the best reputation. Given how painful it is to work on VW/Audi cars, I try to just buy quality parts and replace something once and don't worry about it for another 5 years or so.

If I were you and have other transportation options, I'd just wait and get a quality part.

4. 12-05-2019 08:44 AM #3
      Why do people buy cheap? It rarely ever works. Step up and buy a good product. URO and Meyle make junk.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 12-11-2019 06:10 PM #4
      When someone questions why you want to save money they either work for one of the high-priced competitors or simply have more dollars than sense. Which is the case here? 😉

All kidding aside... you buy cheap to save money...duh! It doesn't always work out but works enough to be worth a try. We're talking about a tensioner on an accessory belt, not an ECU or intake manifold. Thanks for taking the time to waste mine though....lol.