Fourtitude.com - How are MK6 Golfs holding up?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      12-03-2019 12:39 AM #1
      I found a cheap, stick 2 door Golf for sale locally and it got me thinking this could be a really nice, sorta short term, city run around/daily driver that costs me nothing, type car. Anyone have a long history with one? I know the 5 pot is quite robust, and always loved the way it drove with a 5 speed. The seats are more than likely heated and super supportive. The turning ratius is great. Its more than peppy. Just seems like a perfect package.

What am I missing? Anything in particular to look out for? Anyone just get one that is starting to fall apart?

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 12:42 AM #2
      No manual crank windows no care. And where are the back doors? This is going to make a terrible taxi.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      12-03-2019 12:53 AM #3
      For basic transportation, I don't think you can go wrong with a manual 2.5 Golf.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

5. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-03-2019 03:14 AM #4
      AFAIK there's no major problems with those, drivetrain is pretty simple and straight forward. Parts should be readily available and scheduled maintenance should be inexpensive. It won't be a costs-you-nothing car though; expect to get nickel and dimed by little things, like ABS sensors and oil leaks and the like. Depending on the model year, the headliner might be about to drop as well.

Oh, and the head on that motor is more or less 1 outta 2 on your R8; which is why those 07K motors can be built to crazy horsepower. Could come in handy, you know, in case you need a valve spring in an emergency or something.

Cars
      2015 Golf S TDI
      12-03-2019 03:31 AM #5
      I owned a 2011 Golf 2.5 (identical to the one you're looking at) from about 10 miles up to about 90,000 miles and only did oil changes, filters and tire rotations. I believe that CR even scored these better than the same year Civic if I recall correctly.

Over time, I ditched the plastic steering wheel for the leather one (without multi-function buttons, looks like this one has that already), added both the front and rear fog lights, color matched the ugly amber front reflectors, added aspherical mirrors and upgraded the wheels to the 17" Porto wheels.

The only option that this car had from the factory was the cold weather package giving me heated cloth seats, and heated mirrors and washer nozzles. I really miss this car and wish I held onto it longer.

Off the showroom floor.

When I sold her.

And just a couple pics I have with the Golf on Passat CC wheels.

7. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      12-03-2019 03:56 AM #6
      I bought one for myself back in 2015.. kept it for a year. Good car. I bought another one for my wife, we had it also for almost a year.. though it didn't get driven much at all. Sold it since we were moving out of the country. I'd buy another for my wife if she wanted one.

Cars
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      12-03-2019 04:29 AM #7
      Check the bottom seam of the hatch for rust. On mine the rear window washer hose leaked inside the hatch, and the hatch rusted badly.

Also, the leading edges of the front doors might get rubbed out of paint and rust, if the car has those foam pieces in the door jambs to keep ice from building up in there. The door rubs against the foam. But I believe this is an importer-installed thing that only cold climate markets have.

Cars
      2010 Subaru Forester, 2013 VW Golf
      12-03-2019 08:32 AM #8
      At the risk of causing catastrophic failure because i mentioned it...

my 2013 Golf has been really good.

I have a 4 door - auto 2.5

Mileage is average at best mid 20's to 30's on highway but mechanically has been good.
      Get up and go is adequate for merging into traffic and the 5 cylinder makes nice noises for what it is.
      Still VW seat heaters. Still really like the cloth seats that came in the Golf VI.

Everytime I get in it though, I still like it. Although it's a very pedestrian econo car, the MKVI still feels fancy me.

Maintenance so far -

• Oil changes
      • Did the brakes at 32k
      • Replaced the stock tires at 35k

Just about to hit 41k.

Broken things:

1.) Sunroof stopped working this past summer. Since It ceased to function in the closed position so I haven't any research to try and fix.

Based on my experience I'd say I've been pretty happy with the vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Check the bottom seam of the hatch for rust. On mine the rear window washer hose leaked inside the hatch, and the hatch rusted badly.

Also, the leading edges of the front doors might get rubbed out of paint and rust, if the car has those foam pieces in the door jambs to keep ice from building up in there. The door rubs against the foam. But I believe this is an importer-installed thing that only cold climate markets have.
      Will check for these but I don't think my rear washer has ever leaked - I do remember hearing about that issue though a few years back.
      Thanks for the tip.
      Last edited by mouseOfMars; 12-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.

10. 12-03-2019 09:56 AM #9
      Headliner will fall like any VW, and the center console where I rub my knee/leg is getting sticky.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 10:44 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      the center console where I rub is getting sticky.
      Woah there buddy.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      12-03-2019 10:51 AM #11
      Anyone know if these have the driver door lock module failures that were fairly common with the Mk5?

Something in the module fails and the driver door doesn't lock with the remote unless you use the key in the door.

The 2.5L sounds interesting with exhaust and intake mods though.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      12-03-2019 11:04 AM #12
      Given the size of your garage what's one more car
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

14. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      12-03-2019 11:13 AM #13
      Headliner will fall like any VW, and the center console where I rub my knee/leg is getting sticky.
      Based on my MK6 GTI that was never parked in the garage, headliner started to sag just a bit near the A pillars. I don't know what you are talking about regarding the console. 2013 GTI with 115k miles.

15. Member
      Cars
      1995 M3
      12-03-2019 12:30 PM #14
      Man I miss my Mk6 2.5. Such a great, zero-bullsh!t commuter car. Great seats, handling, and the 2.5 is an underappreciated gem. I've recently been feeling tempted to pick up a cheap 2.5 Sportwagen (I need the extra doors) and install the Integrated Engineering power kit: https://performancebyie.com/products...w-mk5-25l-5cyl

16. 12-03-2019 12:36 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Based on my MK6 GTI that was never parked in the garage, headliner started to sag just a bit near the A pillars. I don't know what you are talking about regarding the console. 2013 GTI with 115k miles.
      Mine started sagging near the sunglass holder area at around 3 years old, always garaged, ceramic tint and a front windshield sunshade whenever it was outside.

The center console part, seems to be affected by sweat and the Florida humidity. A few other local owners near me say their Mk6's is doing on the same thing along with peeling door cards. Basically VW's dont hold up in Florida lol

17. Member
      Cars
      2010 Audi S4
      12-03-2019 05:45 PM #16
      I had a mk6 R for a little while and kept in touch with the seller up until a few months ago. But the car has basically been solid, just oil changes and tires. He said it was supposed to be getting the BT treatment this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      2015 Golf S TDI
      12-04-2019 12:57 AM #17
      Mine started sagging near the sunglass holder area at around 3 years old, always garaged, ceramic tint and a front windshield sunshade whenever it was outside.

The center console part, seems to be affected by sweat and the Florida humidity. A few other local owners near me say their Mk6's is doing on the same thing along with peeling door cards. Basically VW's dont hold up in Florida lol
      Right when I traded mine in, the headliner was developing a tiny bubble by the sun glasses holder. Also, on MK 6 Golfs, the B-pillars were wrapped in fabric and mine started coming undone on the passenger side. I would always try to keep it tucked into the seem whenever I was in the backseat cleaning. I went to the dealer and they would'nt even meet me halfway to cover replacement on just a three year old car...

Note that the car spent the first half of it's life in St. Louis mostly outside, and then in Phoenix, half garaged/half parked outside when at work.

It'll be interesting to see how long my MK 7's headliner lasts as it is now always outside.
      Last edited by StL2.5; 12-04-2019 at 01:00 AM.