Fourtitude.com - My first PRIUS 2008 GEN 2 had dangerous Oversteer, anyone else notice this?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1. 12-03-2019 12:06 AM #1
      My first PRIUS 2008 GEN 2 had dangerous oversteer from battery weight in the rear. It could be pretty hard to control once it started to fishtail. In the rain one had to drive with extreme caution. My wife was terrified of driving it in the rain especially if the trunk was filled up with heavy stuff. I noticed I had to adjust to it after driving my other car because it had serious oversteer, now I understand why the Corvair had issues,lol.

Anyone else notice this? The new Prius I have the 2012 Gen 3 does not seem to have this problem. It has larger tires and it a bit heavier in the front.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      14 Tiguan R-Line
      12-03-2019 02:53 AM #2
      Did you have new, grippy front tires, and worn rear tires? Did you see if your rear drums are properly adjusted? The Prius wasn't designed to be oversteer-y in any aspect at all. Doesn't have a rear sway bar (rear torsion suspension set up), and the front sway bar is just large enough to intentionally inhibit understeer. That's the design for just about any front wheel drive economy car. The handling is tailored for driver control and safety, which means it's catered for understeer, which is far more controllable than oversteer (especially snap oversteer). Either it's a mechanical attribute or unintentional driver control of the vehicle that could've caused the oversteering condition. Not to mention, did, at any point, traction control and stability control step in? If it "dangerously oversteered", you might've been driving too fast for the traction of the tires and road conditions.

4. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      12-03-2019 04:37 AM #3
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      12-03-2019 07:12 AM #4
      I searched this post for about 5 minutes looking for a hidden embedded link.

However, if this is true, it explains Prius driving behaviors and why it's so difficult to dislodge them from the left lane. They simply cannot change lanes without experiencing 11/tents everysteer.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - Injured Garage Queen - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k - Kidney Rattling Daily Driver
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      12-03-2019 07:52 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      I searched this post for about 5 minutes looking for a hidden embedded link.
      Naw, dude was trolling one of the EV threads over here and then made a new post about the Prius and its horrible "oversteer".

Cars
      Mine:2014 VR6 Passat SEL Hers: 2019 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-03-2019 08:12 AM #6
      My 4 year old's 6v Macan does the same thing. He did learn to live with it but I did have to teach him how to compensate for the weight distribution.

If you are near South Jersey/Philly area swing on by I can give you the same tutorial I gave him. Juice box optional.

Cars
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      12-03-2019 08:28 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by WalterGuida View Post
      My 4 year old's 6v Macan does the same thing. He did learn to live with it but I did have to teach him how to compensate for the weight distribution.

If you are near South Jersey/Philly area swing on by I can give you the same tutorial I gave him. Juice box optional.
      Where's the guy with the Paul Walker gif?

However, if this is true, it explains Prius driving behaviors and why it's so difficult to dislodge them from the left lane. They simply cannot change lanes without experiencing 11/tents everysteer.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

9. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-03-2019 08:29 AM #8
      OP, you are totally onto something here.

Here's another example of a car with a battery in the trunk...and it oversteers! I guess automotive engineers will never learn.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      12-03-2019 09:03 AM #9
      Oh damn, must relocate batteries in MR2s immediately!! That will totally resolve the oversteer in them! For sure!

Thanks, OP!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

12-03-2019 09:44 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      Naw, dude was trolling one of the EV threads over here and then made a new post about the Prius and its horrible "oversteer".
      Yup. The Prius is a very nose-heavy FWD car and that "big battery" is only about 100 pounds. Lighter than having a single adult in the back seat or a small amount of baggage in the trunk. They all understeer, same as any FWD car. Post is garbage.

12. 12-03-2019 09:59 AM #11
      When will the Prius make it's Initial D debut?

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 10:31 AM #12
      If you're not everysteering are you truly living?
      Instagram - efrie004

14. 12-03-2019 11:17 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      I assume you never drove a GEN 2 Prius. I am a road tripper, I have been to every state east of the Mississippi(except Louisiana and Mississippi). Also, been to Canada. This was all done with a Prius first with a GEN 2 now I have a GEN 3, as I hate flying. This is why a full electric would never work for me.

As for the GEN 2 , it most certainly had oversteer issues. It is very rear heavy with the extra hundreds of pound for the battery(behind the rear wheels). When road tripping with a trunk filled to the prim along with 15 inch tires and a very short front end you get oversteer. It is only really bad in the rain but it was a problem no doubt.

Has anyone actually driven a gen 2 Prius?

15. 12-03-2019 11:20 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      OP, you are totally onto something here.

Here's another example of a car with a battery in the trunk...and it oversteers! I guess automotive engineers will never learn.

I think people are surprised but the gen 2 prius had a pretty bad oversteer problem. I wife was terrified of driving it in the rain, she drove it like a snail. Remember it had 15 inch tires and if you inflated them too much it would be even worse. I remember filling the tire to get good gas mileage and it made the oversteer even worse.

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      12-03-2019 11:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by r286ps2 View Post
      Remember it had 15 inch tires and if you inflated them too much it would be even worse. I remember filling the tire to get good gas mileage and it made the oversteer even worse.
      Not to be painfully obvious, but complaining about overinflated LRR tires in the rain is an indictment of something.... but certainly not the vehicle itself.

Do you have mirrors in your house?
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - Injured Garage Queen - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k - Kidney Rattling Daily Driver
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

17. 12-03-2019 11:28 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Yup. The Prius is a very nose-heavy FWD car and that "big battery" is only about 100 pounds. Lighter than having a single adult in the back seat or a small amount of baggage in the trunk. They all understeer, same as any FWD car. Post is garbage.
      The GEN 2 is not very nose heavy. The new ones do not have the problem but it is heavy in the back where the battery and spare tire and jack are located.

Have you driven a Gen 2 Prius?

Here is a quote from a gen 2 driver from Prius Chat:
      https://priuschat.com/threads/possib...ersteer.79022/

Both my Gen 2 Prius's oversteer. Due to battery weight in back. Once those battries/back end start to rotate, tough to control. Add some ski gear or other heavy luggage and the issue gets worse. Always run 2-4lbs more in fronts to increase understeer. 99% of all cars sold to public understeer. this is because a twitchy oversteering car is a bitxh to control.

18. 12-03-2019 11:30 AM #17
      Not to be painfully obvious, but complaining about overinflated LRR tires in the rain is an indictment of something.... but certainly not the vehicle itself.

Do you have mirrors in your house?
      I think you misunderstand me, LOL. I am not complaining as I still have a Prius. I actually did not mind the oversteer it was easy to turn once it was controlled.

19. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-03-2019 11:35 AM #18
      You got a hybrid 911 for a fraction of the price

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

20. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-03-2019 11:41 AM #19
      I think you misunderstand me, LOL. I am not complaining as I still have a Prius. I actually did not mind the oversteer it was easy to turn once it was controlled.
      You're not complaining that your first PRIUS 2008 GEN 2 has danger Oversteer?

21. 12-03-2019 11:43 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      You're not complaining that your first PRIUS 2008 GEN 2 has danger Oversteer?

Cars
      '06 WRX, '07 Triumph Bonneville, '80 Yamaha IT425
      12-03-2019 11:45 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Camviet View Post
      Did you have new, grippy front tires, and worn rear tires? Did you see if your rear drums are properly adjusted? The Prius wasn't designed to be oversteer-y in any aspect at all. Doesn't have a rear sway bar (rear torsion suspension set up), and the front sway bar is just large enough to intentionally inhibit understeer. That's the design for just about any front wheel drive economy car. The handling is tailored for driver control and safety, which means it's catered for understeer, which is far more controllable than oversteer (especially snap oversteer). Either it's a mechanical attribute or unintentional driver control of the vehicle that could've caused the oversteering condition. Not to mention, did, at any point, traction control and stability control step in? If it "dangerously oversteered", you might've been driving too fast for the traction of the tires and road conditions.
      I would wager a bet that regen braking played a roll in this too.

23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      12-03-2019 11:48 AM #22
      Oh the oversteer conversation in TCL. Still going strong.

Yes I’ve driven numerous Gen2 Priuses. No, they are not prone to oversteer. For years, until EV’s were more popular, they were the commuters choice where I live. No, they didn’t all spin out and crash when it rained. Most of those cars lived long, dull, drama free lives as intended.

Let’s not confuse “in just about every car the possibility of oversteer exists in some scenarios” and conclude that those cars oversteer as a basic handling trait.

My LEAF understeered like a typical FWD econobox. Yet, like just about every car, I could get the tail to come around when driven the right way, because thats how cars work, not just LEAFs and Priuses.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

24. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 11:49 AM #23
      What is happening?
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      12-03-2019 11:49 AM #24
      My first PRIUS 2008 GEN 2 had dangerous oversteer from battery weight in the rear. It could be pretty hard to control once it started to fishtail. In the rain one had to drive with extreme caution. My wife was terrified of driving it in the rain especially if the trunk was filled up with heavy stuff. I noticed I had to adjust to it after driving my other car because it had serious oversteer, now I understand why the Corvair had issues,lol.

Anyone else notice this? The new Prius I have the 2012 Gen 3 does not seem to have this problem. It has larger tires and it a bit heavier in the front.
      59%/41% is about as front-heavy as modern cars get...

https://priuschat.com/threads/gen-2-...e-test.127598/
      I've seen lots of threads here on PC asking about the weight distribution of the gen2. Well, here it is.
      58.62% front, 41.37% rear
      I have no idea what you're describing unless it's lift-throttle tuck-in mid corner. I'd kind of be surprised if it's set up for that the way a Mazda3 or MINI are, but at least that would make sense.

Never noticed "oversteer" in my Mom's '06 that she's had since new, and she's never complained about its behavior in rain or snow.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-03-2019 11:52 AM #25
      I can reliably induce lift-off oversteer in my Yaris by flicking the wheel. It's a little harder with the summer tires I have on it now but was super easy with the rock-hard low rolling resistance tires it came with.

I will never have tires like that again on any car -- I will trade 2-3 MPG to be able to stop and turn in the rain.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast