VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2010 A4 2.0T not starting - posible timing issue

756 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  valker0128 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2010 A4 Quattro 2.0T with 82k miles and everything has been great for the last 2 weeks until last night. I was on my way to AutoZone to buy oil and a filter so I could do an oil change. Literally half a mile from the store my CEL came on so while I was there i had them scan it and I got code P0341 for a camshaft position sensor. I bought a sensor since they were inexpensive and went home. I did the oil change and replaced the sensor and used my bluetooth scanner to clear the code. I went out for a drive and everything felt fine for like 10 minutes and then the car the CEL came back on. I pulled over and turned the car off for a minute. I started it back up and immediately got an message on the dash that said no not exceed 4000 rpm. I turned the car off again and waited a few minutes while looking up stuff about it on my phone. I started the car again and the CEL was still there but there was no message this time. I slowly drove home and I noticed that now whenever i went over a bump in the rode the EPC light would flicker but not stay on. I got home okay and the car seemed normal, but the EPC light was solid now. I scanned the CEL again with my bluetooth scanner and I got error code P0341 (camshaft pos. Sensor again), P0011 (Related to camshaft A position), and P000A (A camshaft position slow response).

I then started the car again so I could move it into the garage and I herd a loud rattling noise from the engine bay and I turned it off immediately. That is when i think the timing jumped but I am not sure. I tried starting it one more time and it took as second to turn over but it did and then it idled for like 3-5 seconds and then turned off. I haven't tried to start it again, because I don't want to damage anything if the timing did jump.

Based on what I found online, I think that this might be the timing chain tensioner failure that the class action lawsuit was about last year, but based on what I've read online it seems like issues i had leading up to it not starting are different than what other people had.

If any of you guys have any ideas to what this might be please let me know because I am lost and I am really hoping I wont have to replace the engine on a car i just bought and got locked into a 5 year loan for.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.