Fixed
      I do love securities.
      Instagram - efrie004

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-02-2019 10:20 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I went with winter tires. Try it.
      I have done it in the past and they work. Thats for dam sure.

Winter and AWD is not the primary driver for me looking.

4. Member
      Cars
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      12-02-2019 10:28 PM #28
      2020 MINI Clubman JCW ALL4 (AWD). 302 HP & 4.7 sec to 60 MPH.

Cars
      2018 Golf R, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 13 FR-S, 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta 1.8T
      12-03-2019 04:48 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      I have done it in the past and they work. Thats for dam sure.

Winter and AWD is not the primary driver for me looking.
      I was looking at used 911's (997.2) but with 2 kids I couldn't make the practicality work. I like the S4 but it's a bit big. S3/Golf R - I liked the dash on the S3 best but for 10K less I got a hatch with no Audi badge. No regrets, it's a boatload of fun in the winter, even more than the STI and Focus RS I drove back to back. The R power oversteers in snow effortlessly (for fun) - even with the TC/ESP just in sport mode which I didn't think was possible (max 50% rear). Oh, and JB4.

6. 12-03-2019 11:14 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      I was looking at used 911's (997.2) but with 2 kids I couldn't make the practicality work. I like the S4 but it's a bit big. S3/Golf R - I liked the dash on the S3 best but for 10K less I got a hatch with no Audi badge. No regrets, it's a boatload of fun in the winter, even more than the STI and Focus RS I drove back to back. The R power oversteers in snow effortlessly (for fun) - even with the TC/ESP just in sport mode which I didn't think was possible (max 50% rear). Oh, and JB4.
      I have come close to buy a Porsche (911 and Boxster) multiple times. What has always held me back is the lack of practicality. I don't have kids but am always carrying something be it stuff or people.

Unfortunately for me I am extremely practical about big $ purchases. I can't just say - do it, you only live once. I was poor growing up and have done well for myself but it has made me too conscious I guess. I will spend but only after much justification, LOL.

I was impressed with the R when I drove it. I liked it better than the Audi for the simple fact is that it has a hatch. Yes the Audi is put together better but no hatch is a deal breaker for me.

What is JB4?

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      12-03-2019 11:29 PM #31

Cars
      2018 Golf R, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 13 FR-S, 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta 1.8T
      12-04-2019 12:43 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      I have come close to buy a Porsche (911 and Boxster) multiple times. What has always held me back is the lack of practicality. I don't have kids but am always carrying something be it stuff or people.

Unfortunately for me I am extremely practical about big $ purchases. I can't just say - do it, you only live once. I was poor growing up and have done well for myself but it has made me too conscious I guess. I will spend but only after much justification, LOL.

I was impressed with the R when I drove it. I liked it better than the Audi for the simple fact is that it has a hatch. Yes the Audi is put together better but no hatch is a deal breaker for me.

What is JB4?
      https://burgertuning.com/products/jb...up-1-vag-tuner

Completely removable piggy back, good for 30-40 hp/tq on 91.

Spare tire kit for ~300 also required for most people. It's factory just doesn't come included. So dumb, but whatever. That was another problem with the 911 - even with the boxter spare you couldn't physically put the rear wheel in the back unless you had a targa.

9. 12-04-2019 01:10 AM #33
      https://burgertuning.com/products/jb...up-1-vag-tuner

Completely removable piggy back, good for 30-40 hp/tq on 91.

Spare tire kit for ~300 also required for most people. It's factory just doesn't come included. So dumb, but whatever. That was another problem with the 911 - even with the boxter spare you couldn't physically put the rear wheel in the back unless you had a targa.
      Thats interesting about the piggy back.

I did see the lack of spare tire on the R - what the heck were they thinking? Porsches (accept for the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera) have not had them for a long time now. Ironically I saw a few weeks ago that Kias are not coming with a spare now either.

The nonsense they are shoveling is that its to save weight. Really?

10. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Cars
      Five Germans and a Japanese Misfit
      12-04-2019 01:16 AM #34
      Voted Golf R. As stated if the S5's liftback is adequate and you want to pony up the extra cash than choose that
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia GLI Aluminum trim for Sale Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      12-04-2019 09:56 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by acsean792 View Post
      No love for the performance car of the year? Hyundai Veloster N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I second that opinion.

Hyundai basically exposed the GTI for it's lack of power and meh handling. Sure, I don't disagree it's not a driver's car, but VW has purposefully kept it neutered for years. Then along comes the Veloster N and makes the GTI look weak and pathetic for a $30K+ "hot hatch." The only thing the the GTI has going for it is its interior. It certainly is now outgunned coupled with a long history of engine and emissions issues and horrendous dealership support. It's resting on it's laurels (I owned a Jetta Wolfsburg. I have first hand knowledge of the 2.0T's failings and never ending CELs. Maybe it's better these days but when you buy a CPO VW and you get a CEL before you even make it to your driveway...with only 29K miles on the car...makes you want to reach for the Pepto Bismol). Didn't we just have a forum member buy a new GTI with a ripped seat??? How does that happen? The pleather seats in my Jetta were indestructible.

Flame on. I don't care. I was a VW owner so you're not going to convince me otherwise. The Veloster N is the new VW GTI, minus the interior. But who cares? They put the money into things that an enthusiast really cares about.

To each his own.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

12. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-04-2019 10:14 AM #36
      A5/S5 SB is the first truly beautiful Audi in a long time. Voted for it just for that alone.

What exactly do you need a hatchback for? Earlier this year we did a road trip with a toddler in my TLX. It was fine

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      12-04-2019 12:18 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      I second that opinion.

Hyundai basically exposed the GTI for it's lack of power and meh handling. Sure, I don't disagree it's not a driver's car, but VW has purposefully kept it neutered for years. Then along comes the Veloster N and makes the GTI look weak and pathetic for a $30K+ "hot hatch." The only thing the the GTI has going for it is its interior. It certainly is now outgunned coupled with a long history of engine and emissions issues and horrendous dealership support. It's resting on it's laurels (I owned a Jetta Wolfsburg. I have first hand knowledge of the 2.0T's failings and never ending CELs. Maybe it's better these days but when you buy a CPO VW and you get a CEL before you even make it to your driveway...with only 29K miles on the car...makes you want to reach for the Pepto Bismol). Didn't we just have a forum member buy a new GTI with a ripped seat??? How does that happen? The pleather seats in my Jetta were indestructible.

Flame on. I don't care. I was a VW owner so you're not going to convince me otherwise. The Veloster N is the new VW GTI, minus the interior. But who cares? They put the money into things that an enthusiast really cares about.

To each his own.
      Look at the list, do you think a VN is going to have the creature comforts that the rest of these cars come equipped with? I own one and it is a step down in interior materials compared to the rest of this list, the fit is very good but the materials are cheap. (i.e. hard plastic everywhere)

I voted Golf R, seems to meet your requirements the best. I do, however, suggest driving the VN. It's a seriously fun car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      12-04-2019 03:10 PM #38
      Depends on snow - if you're in snowbelt/Canada, get the R with dsg
      Interesting. Based on personal preference I would always prefer manual vs. DSG in the snow

One thing to recommend the R...the leg room is very good given the size of the car (coming from a long-legged 6'5" guy)

Maybe not the best choice if some of your activity priorities are hauling many people that are larger-than-average size

Also speaking from the AARP Lounge.....
      - Much lower access vs. CUVs. My artificial knees don't always love this. Also, if you have kids in car seats, CUVs easier to access
      - As you age, your eyes get worse.....in the ongoing "make new cars with ever-brighter headlights" wars, driving a lower elevation hatch (vs. CUV) at night can make you feel like your retinas are getting seared out by the now-majority CUVs/SUVs whose beams are hitting you at eye level
      Last edited by Lujess; 12-04-2019 at 03:13 PM.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

15. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-04-2019 03:20 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron
      Depends on snow - if you're in snowbelt/Canada, get the R with dsg
      Quote Originally Posted by Lujess View Post
      Interesting. Based on personal preference I would always prefer manual vs. DSG in the snow
      Not trying to argue (you even said personal preference!); but I honestly don't understand the reason for a transmission preference either way when it comes to snow? I've never found either to have an observable advantage over the other, unlike tires, driven wheels, weight distribution, clearance, etc, which are very apparent to me and I have strong preferences on.

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      12-04-2019 03:38 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Not trying to argue (you even said personal preference!); but I honestly don't understand the reason for a transmission preference either way when it comes to snow? I've never found either to have an observable advantage over the other, unlike tires, driven wheels, weight distribution, clearance, etc, which are very apparent to me and I have strong preferences on.
      I guess in my case it is what I am used to...and I feel manual gives me a slightly better feel of traction/lack there-of and overall control of the car. That said, if I had 7 years of experience driving a MKVII DSG in the snow, I am sure I'd be more in tune with that set-up . We have a hill-climb dirt driveway. I feel more confident in my R with my new Nokian Hakkepelita R3s than my wife's 4Runner (as long as the snow isn't deep)...but again, based on both familarity and more micro-control vs. burly, plow ahead, truck-like SUV.
      Last edited by Lujess; 12-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Cars
      2017 GTI
      12-04-2019 03:44 PM #41
      GTI and truck. For <70K you can have both new.

fwiw I have GTI and a 4x4 Taco. Same Taco today is prob 35K or so.

unless you want a single $75K vehicle. two dedicated tools often work better than one expensive multi-tool.

Mud
      Last edited by Strange Mud; 12-04-2019 at 03:47 PM.
      My glass is half-full of empty

18. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-04-2019 04:05 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Lujess View Post
      I guess in my case it is what I am used to...and I feel manual gives me a slightly better feel of traction/lack there-of and overall control of the car. That said, if I had 7 years of experience driving a MKVII DSG in the snow, I am sure I'd be more in tune with that set-up . We have a hill-climb dirt driveway. I feel more confident in my R with my new Nokian Hakkepelita R3s than my wife's 4Runner (as long as the snow isn't deep)...but again, based on both familarity and more micro-control vs. burly, plow ahead, truck-like SUV.
      Makes sense, maybe I've switched around vehicles too often to develop a strong preference there. Thinking about it more, I do think it's easier to rock back and forth if stuck with manual (particularly on hills!), and then crawling at low speeds with no throttle you know the manual is going to keep a constant torque output, whereas a torque converter may change and a DSG may open the clutch. Conversely I think it's easier to brake-torque open diffs with an automatic, which is more important with 2WDs.

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      Yesterday 08:54 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      Look at the list, do you think a VN is going to have the creature comforts that the rest of these cars come equipped with? I own one and it is a step down in interior materials compared to the rest of this list, the fit is very good but the materials are cheap. (i.e. hard plastic everywhere)

I voted Golf R, seems to meet your requirements the best. I do, however, suggest driving the VN. It's a seriously fun car.
      I get it doesn't have the creature comforts. Never said it did. In fact I said the GTI has the better interior. Didn't I?

But you suggest a Golf R? After the horrendous QC and dealership horror stories? I'll never buy another VW again. Ripped seats the dealer missed in a brand new GTI from one forum member and another member just posted this July about his brand new Arteon being damaged and fixed but was never revealed to the buyer. Had to wait months for them to buy it back and get a new one.

I'll take a less than stellar interior over a VW any day. While the Veloster N runs circles around an outdated GTI.

To each his own. Have a nice day.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12