Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      12-02-2019 08:38 AM #26
      Congrats on the purchase! Great to see one in a bright color.

Love this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      12-02-2019 08:51 AM #27
      Nice car, but for this use case, isn't an electric car a perfect fit? I've been eyeing down e-Golfs since I have a short commute and a fairly compact driving pattern too.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      a real dipstick!
      So, kinda offtopic, but has anyone noticed that with the super lightweight synthetics, its really hard to see the oil level on a dipstick? Unless I'm in perfect light, I can't see the oil level at all on my wife's Rogue. It has me wishing for an electronic dipstick as a backup to my questionable dipstick reading skills.
      Last edited by mrothwell; 12-02-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Cars
      2018 GTI
      12-02-2019 09:10 AM #28
      Congrats on the car! For what they are, GTIs really are the best bang for the buck (IMO). Also good job on picking the correct color

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      12-02-2019 09:55 AM #29
      Congrats on the car and great pictures. On a somewhat related topic, has VW fixed the Golf R clutch issues where they wear prematurely? I remember this being the only issues with manual R that people complained about.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

12-02-2019 10:07 AM #30
      Congrats on the car, great color!

I am going to let you in on a little secret, as a 7.5 R owner:

The R is certainly FASTER. It is not more FUN.

Someone who hasn't driven both a GTI and an R won't understand the distinction, but I will put it this way: If my R got totalled tomorrow, I would have one hell of a time choosing between a leftover R and a new GTI. It should be a foregone conclusion...and it's not.

So this is a long way of saying I think you made the right choice.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

7. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      12-02-2019 10:48 AM #31
      I've test driven both MKVII GTI's and R's, and I agree that the GTI has more of a fun vibe to it. I laughed out loud driving the GTI, especially when the backend stepped out in a quick 90 degree corner. No laughs were had driving the R, but I was amazed at how it handled like it was on rails and was able to put the power down with zero drama. The GTI I drove was spinning it's tires up to 60kph when accelerating hard, the R just went. If I lived in the southern USA where you could drive a GTI on HP summer tires all year round then I'd go GTI, for any place with winter, either snow or months of cold dark wet roads, I'd go R.

Cars
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo, Rennsemmel, Alfa mit Identitätskrise und BusBus.
      12-02-2019 10:52 AM #32

I don't have any major plans for this car but as always, I'll keep this thread updated with any mods, maintenance, & repairs, though I'm hoping the last one won't be necessary.
      Congrats on the purchase! I love that color ;-) (Tornado Red GTD owner here). I am, as always, jealous of the beautiful scenery that you have there! Cool you chose an MT too; I like the gearbox feel in those.

A question about the car:

Do I spot a traditional handbrake lever here? Is it a GTI thing or an USA thing? Our pre-facelift mk7 has an electronic park prake.

BTW: I think the GTD could also use shorter gears, at least second gear - would make it also easier to crawl in traffic.
      Fiat 126 bis build thread here. Error 404: 0-60 not found.
      Fiat 128, the stroppy cow.

9. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      12-02-2019 11:04 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Lupo TDI View Post
      Do I spot a traditional handbrake lever here? Is it a GTI thing or an USA thing? Our pre-facelift mk7 has an electronic park prake.

BTW: I think the GTD could also use shorter gears, at least second gear - would make it also easier to crawl in traffic.
      May just be a US-spec GTI and Golf thing. The US-spec Golf R and E-Golf also have the electronic park brake.

After having the electric park brake in my Rental, it's nice to have the regular handle back.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

12-02-2019 12:01 PM #34
      Great score! I'm so glad you bought it in red too. Looks like the perfect daily driver. Also, I really appreciate your pics. They're gorgeous!

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 01 Forester | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

11. 12-02-2019 12:18 PM #35
      Congrats.

Best mods will be tires and a rear sway bar. They make a world of difference.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cars
      2017 GTI
      12-02-2019 01:02 PM #36
      I wanted red as my 1st choice...settled for my least fav color of black because great deal including price on my trade in. An amazing all around car and yeah there are cars that are better in most category's the GTI is an amazing all around car.

2 yrs 22K miles and if it continues to be reliable it'll be the best car I've owned.

Mud
      My glass is half-full of empty

Cars
      '18 GTI
      12-02-2019 01:32 PM #37
      Nice Pickup. I've had my '18 since February and it has nearly 28,000 miles on it. Still makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      12-02-2019 02:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Excellent photos and story, as always.

Congrats on the purchase. Wait until you get some summer tires on it, then it'll really come alive. I drove my brother's MK7 GTI and it was transformed after the switch.
      Yeah these 500 treadwear tires aren't doing me any favors but I'll likely stick with them for now. I'm definitely not gonna wear them out, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Congrats! That's one heck of a stable.
      Well actually, this 3-car stable is only temporary...

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      The only thing that's bothered me about the gearing after living with it a month is creeping in traffic or coasting to a stoplight where you have the awkward 'slow down to 10 mph and then go' situation. I'm 5 years removed from my Mk5, but I remember being able to keep it in 2nd gear and go without any issue. The engine is bogged down way too much in the Mk7 for that same situation. (It also doesn't help that I was coming from an LS3, where I could probably keep it in 3rd gear and just mash the fun pedal)

However, it's a small trade off to have the much healthier mid-range power in the new car. It definitely feels much quicker out on the open road than my old one.
      I haven't driven it in my normal daily traffic routine yet (still at home battling the flu) but I know what you mean. I could keep the M5 is second for a lot longer. Everything's a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Nice car, but for this use case, isn't an electric car a perfect fit? I've been eyeing down e-Golfs since I have a short commute and a fairly compact driving pattern too.
      An electric car is 100% the perfect fit for this use case. I'm just not interested in them enough to get one.

So, kinda offtopic, but has anyone noticed that with the super lightweight synthetics, its really hard to see the oil level on a dipstick? Unless I'm in perfect light, I can't see the oil level at all on my wife's Rogue. It has me wishing for an electronic dipstick as a backup to my questionable dipstick reading skills.
      I agree, it's not easy to tell, especially since the dipstick doesn't have a grid pattern for the oil to stick to.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Congrats on the car and great pictures. On a somewhat related topic, has VW fixed the Golf R clutch issues where they wear prematurely? I remember this being the only issues with manual R that people complained about.
      Everything I've read is the standard clutch is too weak once you add a tune, but fine for stock power levels.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      12-02-2019 02:38 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post

The R is certainly FASTER. It is not more FUN.

Someone who hasn't driven both a GTI and an R won't understand the distinction, but I will put it this way: If my R got totalled tomorrow, I would have one hell of a time choosing between a leftover R and a new GTI. It should be a foregone conclusion...and it's not.

So this is a long way of saying I think you made the right choice.
      Having driven both, I have to agree. GTI is the more playable car.

16. 12-02-2019 02:43 PM #40
      Congrats! I'm always so jealous when I see a GTI with LP lights.

12-02-2019 03:17 PM #41
      You are giving me bad thoughts. I'm itching to get something manual again now that my commute consist of driving thru Malibu Canyon everyday.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      12-02-2019 03:21 PM #42
      Congrats on the GTI!

I made a very similar trip 4yrs ago to pick up my GTI from Boardwalk in Redwood City and back down to SD.

You can browse through my build thread to see where I've spent my money on upgrades. I know you won't leave it stock for long
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Cars
      MK4 R32, 987.1 Cayman S, Outback wagon
      12-02-2019 03:31 PM #43
      It all started when I decided I didn't want to drive the Cayman on a daily basis no more. With the way it's dialed in right now, and given the current state of my work & life activities, it's really better suited for weekend & canyon duties.
      Congrats on the awesome pick up! I felt the same way about my Cayman so I also bought another daily last week but your GTI is probably 1000x more fun than the 2000 Outback wagon I grabbed off CL
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-02-2019 03:58 PM #44
      Nice buy Kiz, and fantastic pictures as always. Thanks for sharing!
      Instagram - efrie004

21. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 04:04 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Lupo TDI View Post
      It's a "Hecho en Mexico" thing; my understanding is that it's just how they set up their tooling as opposed to a market-specific thing. We probably prefer a manual handbrake in the US, but I don't think it's significant enough to effect a change like that. The Golf R's which cross the Atlantic have an electronic parking brake.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      12-02-2019 04:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      You are giving me bad thoughts. I'm itching to get something manual again now that my commute consist of driving thru Malibu Canyon everyday.
      Wait...what happened to the F80?

Quote Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
      Congrats on the GTI!

I made a very similar trip 4yrs ago to pick up my GTI from Boardwalk in Redwood City and back down to SD.

You can browse through my build thread to see where I've spent my money on upgrades. I know you won't leave it stock for long
      Flying to buy cars and driving them home is a lot of fun...great way to get acquainted with it.

I've never kept a car stock before but I think this one will be for a while. At least for all of 2019.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Nice buy Kiz, and fantastic pictures as always. Thanks for sharing!

Disappointed it wasn't an Alfa?

23. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-02-2019 04:33 PM #47

Disappointed it wasn't an Alfa?
      I don't see a dinner table anywhere in the Giulia, so I think you made the right choice. Gotta have turkey on Thanksgiving.
      Instagram - efrie004

12-02-2019 04:49 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I don't see a dinner table anywhere in the Giulia, so I think you made the right choice. Gotta have turkey on Thanksgiving.
      ...but it coulda been a Four Cheese pizza.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      12-02-2019 04:52 PM #49
      Thanks for the story and all the great pics!

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      12-02-2019 04:57 PM #50
      The MINI's was really difficult to read. I bought an aftermarket dipstick that made it much easier to read. But where there is an aftermarket for MINI, I doubt there is one for the Rogue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast