Fourtitude.com - What's the most bungled repair work you've had done or have seen?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2012 Kia Forte EX
      12-01-2019 04:04 PM #1
      Kinda inspired from elite.mafia's exhaust work thread, which then reminded me about the various disasters that have gone viral over the years....it got me thinking about my own experiences.

I honestly can't say I've had super bad work done but two incidents come to mind:

A vandal knocked off mirrors from several cars when I was in college with my Saturn. My dad insisted on having it fixed by a guy he knew that basically ripped us off - I had power mirrors and he put on a manual one. There was some other dodgy work done to but the thing that stands out is the mirror.

I had a wheel bearing replaced on my Taurus SHO and it worked, but they didn't diagnose the ABS light that was on when I picked it up- I forgot how to panic brake w/out ABS so I skidded into a light pole to avoid a car that decided to just start reversing toward me in my lane of travel. Granted I should have asked about the light when I picked it up (cause there was none when I dropped it off) but I had to run to work.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      12-01-2019 04:16 PM #2
      A car owner brought us his 69 Firebird to finish. I honestly don't know the shop it was at beforehand but some of the highlights:

It had been swapped to a Chevy 350 and 700R4, when mated the two they just jammed the transmission onto the engine without properly seating the converter and destroyed the transmission oil pump.

They used about three times the necessary amount of adhesive installing the headliner and it soaked through so it had to be ripped free of the roof and replaced.

They had put an aftermarket TBI system on but couldn't get it to run properly and started fiddling around with the throttle body instead of using the handheld computer to adjust the parameters.

It had one Firebird front fender and one Camaro front fender.

The front bumper and associated pieces were assembled incorrectly so we had to take it all off the car and back apart to even be able to close and latch the hood.

The left front brake pads were installed backwards in the caliper.

*if it has to be about a single parts failure I've also got a great story about 6 cylinder Mustang carburetors

Cars
      2017 STI
      12-01-2019 04:21 PM #3
      I brought a car into a National Tire and Battery store once for a flat tire. Got a call an hour later, "uhh we need to hacksaw your wheel off, the lug nuts are all seized, we tried drilling and that didn't go well."

Long story short, they ended up sawing my wheel apart to get it off the car, they replaced the entire drum brake and wheel bearing assembly on their dime, and we went halfsies on a reconditioned wheel. Most ****ed up expensive tire repair I've ever had. Should have just plugged it.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

5. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      12-01-2019 05:07 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      I brought a car into a National Tire and Battery store once for a flat tire. Got a call an hour later, "uhh we need to hacksaw your wheel off, the lug nuts are all seized, we tried drilling and that didn't go well."

Long story short, they ended up sawing my wheel apart to get it off the car, they replaced the entire drum brake and wheel bearing assembly on their dime, and we went halfsies on a reconditioned wheel. Most ****ed up expensive tire repair I've ever had. Should have just plugged it.
      And then when you finally went in to replace the worn out tire what would go differently?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

6. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-01-2019 05:11 PM #5
      Worst ever done to a car of mine:

Dealer replaced a CV joint on my car and secured the boot to the hub flange with a zip tie instead of a metal band. Yes, a zip tie to hold against the forces of rotation and jounce/rebound motion. Stayed on for about a block.

Really wish I had a pic of this but this was before the prevalence of potatography.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      12-01-2019 08:29 PM #6
      I had a nightmare that I greased my brake discs to stop a squeal, does that count?
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

8. 12-01-2019 08:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      *if it has to be about a single parts failure I've also got a great story about 6 cylinder Mustang carburetors
      Don't be a tease, do tell

Previous owner welded the catalytic converters to the headers in one of my old Subarus, presumably to fix a leak. Was all fine and good until I cracked the catalytic converter off roading, and needed to replace it

Cars
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT, 2013 Ford Escape SE
      12-01-2019 08:41 PM #8
      My wife and I bought a 2013 Escape in mid-September. Two days later, while my wife was sitting in stopped traffic (thankfully), the driver's side ball joint gave out. The left wheel was perpendicular to the right wheel and the axle was torn out of its boot. My wife texted pictures to her dad, a part designer for Ford and someone who's spent his fair share of time underneath project cars over the years, and he said that the nut holding the spindle to the control arm was either missing or un-tightened. That means at some point, either the dealer we bought the car from or some other garage (whose mistake the dealer missed) was under the car doing related work and neglected to secure the nut. The dealer we bought it from took care of the tow and the repairs. I'm just glad it happened while she was stopped in traffic and not, say, entering a highway.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Cars
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      12-01-2019 08:46 PM #10
      I bought a Jetta from a guy who sold it to me on a street corner instead of by his house. Found out later why.

One of the back windows didn't work and he said "I think it just needs the switch cleaned." When I opened the door panel I found the motor and regulator missing and a tree branch jammed in to hold the glass up.

11. 12-01-2019 11:55 PM #11
      I had a garage that torched off a stuck wheel bolt, without removing the plastic centre cap of the wheel, melting it in the process and ruining the finish on the wheel.

Cars
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-02-2019 12:24 AM #12
      Sears dropped an old Saab of mine 8 feet off of a lift while “doing an alignment”.

13. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 12:51 AM #13
      Most of the bungling I've done has been related to getting rusted parts off--sometimes it gets to a point where, for example, I'd rather buy a junkyard spindle than spend more time pulling bearings, and that's when the sawzall comes out.

As far as elite.mafia's thread goes though, I'd never be OK with a car going back out like that, either by my own hand or a shop's. I'm pretty particular about stuff, even using equivalently rated bolts that just don't have an OEM part number bothers me.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      12-02-2019 08:50 AM #14
      Rear axle was brazed to the studs on one side of my old Cabby. How I missed that when I bought it....

Other one was really funny - a Mk2 that a friend had paid like $250 for because it "barely ran". He drove it over and I looked at it and turned it into a $2K Mk2 by putting the spark plug wires on the right plugs.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Cars
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      12-02-2019 09:29 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      Don't be a tease, do tell
      Haha, I've been a professional mechanic for 15 years now so I've got a million of these.

The Mustang was an old one, 66 I think, 6 cylinder automatic with a single barrel carb. It came in running poorly and the woman just asked us to go through it and make it run well again and quit leaking. The carburetor had an external leak to we got a rebuild kit and it set to disassembling it and quickly noticed that at some point someone had jammed something down into the carb throat and gouged up the air horn section on the top of the carb. So we order a rebuilt carb and send the rebuild kit back. Put that carb on the car and it runs even worse than it did before, there was gas leaking from the float bowl down into the throat of the carb with the engine running as if the top plate was warped.

So the second carb comes back off and we order another one. Third carburetor shows up and I install it and I can't get it to run properly either. With the idle mixture screw turned all the way in the carb was still running rich enough it was stumbling at idle when it was warmed up. Was getting REAL frustrated at this point, at this point I had already sent a pair of egg shaped rear brake drums and a power steering directional valve with some sort of internal blockage back as well. The retailer says they've only got one carburetor left to send us, so thinking they can't get worse we tell them to send it over.

Fourth carburetor in a week comes out of the box and part of the accelerator pump mechanism is just missing. So swapping carbs and trying to get the new one to run properly is costing me about an hour and a half every time, and it's obviously money we can't charge to the customer, so this damn Mustang is just bleeding us dry. We call the retailer back up, tell them we're tired of this bull**** and what's going to happen is they're going to send us the rebuild kit back, I'm going to go through the various junk carbs we've had and assemble a good running one from the parts, and they're going to pay me for fixing their ****.

Once that happened it fired up and settled into a nice steady idle right away.

Cars
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      12-02-2019 10:01 AM #16
      I was looking for a squeak on my cts-v and discovered the previous owner did some exhaust work... Cut out the mufflers and straight piped it from about where the rear subframe starts. All fine and dandy until I realized they welded the mounts* directly to the ****ing rear subframe.

*By mounts, I mean took some rod and just cobble welded it to the nearest metal thing.

I'll see if I can get some pictures.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      12-02-2019 10:57 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 0dd_j0b View Post
      I was looking for a squeak on my cts-v and discovered the previous owner did some exhaust work... Cut out the mufflers and straight piped it from about where the rear subframe starts. All fine and dandy until I realized they welded the mounts* directly to the ****ing rear subframe.

*By mounts, I mean took some rod and just cobble welded it to the nearest metal thing.

I'll see if I can get some pictures.
      So the muffler is directly connected to the subframe rather than having a rubber mount? I would think that would be loud?

Cars
      2014 CSG GTI
      12-02-2019 02:15 PM #18
      When my MK6 GTI was new (it only had about 9k miles) it suffered the bad water pump syndrome so many GTI's had. But the damn dealer couldn't fix it right. First, they said the leak was due to a bad hose, and replaced that. Still had the leak. Then, they acknowledged it was the water pump and replaced it. It still had a leak; the dealer fixed that again and it still leaked. At this point I wrote a letter to the dealer's owner, blasting the lack of service and efficiency in making repairs, told them to fix it and I didn't want to see the car again until it was right. I had their loaner so I didn't care how long they had it.

They finally got that right, and the pump didn't leak, and they delivered the car to my house instead of me having to go get it. But.........when I looked the car over the next morning........they had forgotten to replace the belly pan on the car. It was missing. I called them up, they made a search and did find it. They told me to bring the car in and they would install it, I said no thanks. I sent a friend of mine to go pick up the part and bring it to me and I installed it my damn self.

Needless to say, I never went back to the stealership. Incompetent morons.
      2014 CSG GTI

19. Member
      Cars
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      12-02-2019 02:51 PM #19
      New Subaru needed 1st gear syncro replaced.

Screwed up the first repair, felt like wet concrete in the shifter linkage.
      Second repair, they wired the backup camera incorrectly, so the camera came on as I drove forward and not in reverse.
      Last repair, it was 'working' a month later the shifter linkage failed, leaving it stuck in third.

Cars
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      12-02-2019 05:06 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      So the muffler is directly connected to the subframe rather than having a rubber mount? I would think that would be loud?
      Muffler is gone, it's just pipe now. and yes. I'll post a picture to better explain it. I suck at words.

Hilariously, the original squeak I was looking for wasn't coming from the randomly attaching exhaust pipes.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      12-02-2019 08:20 PM #21
      Sub'd

I had a wicked knock somewhere in the front of my Mazda3 that I was trying to hunt down as best I could for months. I tried a couple of things to no avail and then asked my mechanic whether it could be the CV joint. He looks at it quickly and automatically comes out and says "Oh yeah, it's ****ed". So I said cool stop my suffering with this knock and fix it. Brand new CV in and nothing changes.

Turns out it was just a <$100 transmission mount, which was completely obvious to them when I asked them to check it, but not before apparently.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 12-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      12-02-2019 09:26 PM #22
      I put a Honda Civic Oil Filter on my Old 98 Jeep XJ. I didn't understand why my oil was leaking from the filter.

Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      12-02-2019 11:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      It had been swapped to a Chevy 350 and 700R4, when mated the two they just jammed the transmission onto the engine without properly seating the converter and destroyed the transmission oil pump.
      I'm guilty of this, same transmission (well, 4L60E)

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      12-03-2019 10:31 AM #24
      I needed a wiring harness for my coil packs, ordered up a new one. It came as just the coil pack harness with no connectors into anything else. We spliced and wired each wire where we could appropriately and everything went well until we got down to the wiring harness under the battery (maybe it was wheel well area). Had to unpin the connector and push in the new wires. With no real tool we ended up mutilating the OEM plastic connector. A new connector was something like 75+ per side of the connection, plus tool to do it. About 20 bucks later and a trip to the home depot we spliced and hardwired each wire together ignoring the original connector. Only the wires for the coil packs, the rest were left normal.

Lasted 80+k until I got rid of the car.

25. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 11:00 AM #25
      When I was 16 I installed brake pads backwards in my SC2. The noise was spectacular.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast