VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

big end bearings losing their tension

5K views 36 replies 3 participants last post by  garryt 
#1 ·
so done an engine swap over the weekend, and upon stripping the old one down I find the rod shells are loose:sly: what would be causing this??? no low oil pressure or strange noises prior to strip down. excessive oil temps or just high mileage maybe???

#32 ·
To rebuild an engine is not cheap what so ever. The machining bill alone will total the car. It's understandable that people just throw in new wear parts and hope they can get the engine to run better. I've certainly done that but I do not call it rebuilt.

To sum it up, it's a total waste of money to rebuild anything with little value. That would apply to all 8V VW engines.

#33 ·
well I could have the original engine "matching numbers" rebuilt as new with an 82mm bore for £500. so with the price of decent mk2s steadily on the up, I would say that would be a wise investment:) all lot of people are struggling to find factory standard cars now, so they are very sought after by enthusiasts.

#34 ·
I had a MINI cylinder head rebuilt from my machinist, $1000. It's not cheap around here.

I suspect that to properly rebuild an engine would be $1,500-$2,000 in parts and $1,000 in machine shop fees. Then you got labor to put it together. IF you want anything with performance, then the parts go up even more, a lot more.

Financially, it's a stupid move to invest that much money in an old car. I advise my clients daily that we need to watch what we spend on the car as the car gets older.

Fortunately I still like playing with cars and I get paid to do it too. I have no problems in dropping several weeks and $ on my POS Caddy.

#36 ·
if the owner of an older car just wants to keep it running a bit longer before it heads for the scrapper then I agree, don't waste money on it. but I think it depends on the car. older "classic" cars should really be keep in tip top condition. mk2 golfs are cheap for parts and easy to work on, so there's no excuse to let them deteriorate and lose value. very satisfying having a flawless motor too, and knowing you can jump in whenever and drive wherever without incident:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.