Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    1. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-03-2020 02:42 PM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
      I'd love to see Alonso back in Indy. If it's in a Chevy so be it. It'd be epic to see him win it.
      Look to SPAM or Ed Carpenter. Both are contenders with an actual shot to win.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-03-2020 02:44 PM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I disagree. Blaspherion stated it as eloquently as anyone could or has yet.

Another piece of this puzzle is that HPD (America) agreed to let Alonso drive for Andretti Autosport. It was HGH (Japan) that said no. You can only talk **** about your benefactor so long before they clam-up and cut ties. Like I said in the IndyCar thread; The Japanese take pride and respect to their graves.
      so you officially gave up on the money argument then. k.

i dont need to understand or agree with honda. you keep repeating the same things like it changes something.

alonso in an andretti car with a honda engine in the back of it is a legitimate threat to win the indy 500. when alonso wins the damn thing in a penske with a chevy motor in the back (seems hypothetical now, but hes got plenty of time) they are going look even more like the *******s. if he won with a honda engine, its a redemption story for the ages.

look no one is saying honda should be forced to supply anyone. but the entire point of racing is marketing. and at this point they are losing the marketing battle.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

4. Member
      02-03-2020 02:45 PM #378
      Look to SPAM or Ed Carpenter. Both are contenders with an actual shot to win.
      Yup. Given that McLaren cut ties with him I'm not thinking it'll be there. Unless he brings sponsorship I get the feeling Ed would want some money from him and Alonso doesn't seem like the type to want to pay for his ride. Guess we'll see.

5. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-03-2020 02:52 PM #379
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      you keep repeating the same things like it changes something.
      My signature applies here. I do not speak for Honda as a whole. I relay information to "you people" as I see Fit.

look no one is saying honda should be forced to supply anyone.
      With this sentence, we agree. All of Honda is not the same, but when Uncle Honda in Japan says something, then the rest of the companies will agree.

6. 02-03-2020 04:05 PM #380
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      For all the Alonso haters look like Kimoa i mean Karma bit him in the butt... No more Indy unless he finds another team with a chevy powered car.

https://f1i.com/news/366817-alonso-i...-by-honda.html
      I don't hate Alonso, he made a mess of his career with his mouth, karma indeed.

Honda doesn't need him nor does Indy, the show will gi on without his antics.

It is funny reading his "I'm not an azzhole, really, I'm not" articles on my face F1 click bait sites.

7. 02-03-2020 04:10 PM #381
      but the entire point of racing is marketing. and at this point they are losing the marketing battle.
      I am asking this respectfully but how are they "losing the marketing battle" by NOT employing someone who very publicly trashed their product/efforts for three years? If anything Alonso's public criticism was contributing to Honda losing the marketing battle.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      02-03-2020 04:39 PM #382
      If Alonso really wants to win the Indy 500, he really just ought to commit to a season of IndyCar. It would not only get him more opportunities, in that teams would be willing to sign him, it would also give him more oval experience. Yes, he was competitive the one year he ran. Very competitive. But more experience can be the difference between winning and coming in second. But this attitude of "I'm just here to win the Indy 500" isn't going to get a lot of teams excited to sign him. Now that he's won the Le Mans 24 hrs, and has participated in the Dakar, just commit to a full IndyCar season.

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-03-2020 04:44 PM #383
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      If Alonso really wants to win the Indy 500, he really just ought to commit to a season of IndyCar. It would not only get him more opportunities, in that teams would be willing to sign him, it would also give him more oval experience. Yes, he was competitive the one year he ran. Very competitive. But more experience can be the difference between winning and coming in second. But this attitude of "I'm just here to win the Indy 500" isn't going to get a lot of teams excited to sign him. Now that he's won the Le Mans 24 hrs, and has participated in the Dakar, just commit to a full IndyCar season.
      he's just after the triple crown, and indy is the last thing left.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-03-2020 04:49 PM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaspherion View Post
      I am asking this respectfully but how are they "losing the marketing battle" by NOT employing someone who very publicly trashed their product/efforts for three years? If anything Alonso's public criticism was contributing to Honda losing the marketing battle.
      presumably you read the rest of my post, and you can't figure out where honda is losing the marketing battle here?

maybe try reading it again. there is a whole paragraph on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Cars
      02-03-2020 04:58 PM #385
      he's just after the triple crown, and indy is the last thing left.
      I'm well aware of that. What I'm saying is that to win the Indy 500, he'd have a better chance with getting with a winning capable team if he signs up for the year. The way he's going about it, I don't see why a big team (other than Andretti) would take him. Not only that, but it would give him more experience in that car, on ovals, which is not a bad thing when you're trying to win Indy.

12. Member
      02-03-2020 05:20 PM #386
      I'm well aware of that. What I'm saying is that to win the Indy 500, he'd have a better chance with getting with a winning capable team if he signs up for the year. The way he's going about it, I don't see why a big team (other than Andretti) would take him. Not only that, but it would give him more experience in that car, on ovals, which is not a bad thing when you're trying to win Indy.
      There are some teams that will likely entertain one-offs but it'll involve Alonso paying or bringing money with him. Some smaller teams would love the media exposure a big name like that will get even if it's just for one race. It could land them something bigger which keeps them afloat.

Cars
      02-03-2020 05:29 PM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
      There are some teams that will likely entertain one-offs but it'll involve Alonso paying or bringing money with him. Some smaller teams would love the media exposure a big name like that will get even if it's just for one race. It could land them something bigger which keeps them afloat.
      None of that indicates those teams would be in a position to win it, which is the point I'm trying to make. What you're describing is a bit like saying with enough money, one can get into a Williams F1 car for Monaco in 2020. Yes, technically they can win it, but it's unlikely. Alonso has the talent, so just sign up with a team for one year, and do the entire series in order to give yourself the best chance at winning Indy. It's the last one he needs, so just make that sacrifice.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      02-03-2020 05:49 PM #388
      None of that indicates those teams would be in a position to win it, which is the point I'm trying to make. What you're describing is a bit like saying with enough money, one can get into a Williams F1 car for Monaco in 2020. Yes, technically they can win it, but it's unlikely. Alonso has the talent, so just sign up with a team for one year, and do the entire series in order to give yourself the best chance at winning Indy. It's the last one he needs, so just make that sacrifice.
      I think he's still hoping for a F1 seat in '21. If he goes for a full season in Indy, that door will be 100% shut.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Cars
      02-03-2020 06:03 PM #389
      Quote Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
      I think he's still hoping for a F1 seat in '21. If he goes for a full season in Indy, that door will be 100% shut.
      Sure. So he needs to choose one or the other. The one common thing is the guy just not making good decisions on which team to pick. Maybe it's just luck, but as per my previous statements, I sense it's also due to trying to keep too many options open. Put F1 aside, go kill it in Indy Car, and take your chances in F1 in 2022 if that's still his dream. I imagine he'll be a lot like Mansell was in '93.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-03-2020 06:12 PM #390
      No comment.
      Yeah, you're gonna have to shut your piehole on that one.

presumably you read the rest of my post, and you can't figure out where honda is losing the marketing battle here?

You're starting a typical argument, what "marketing battle"? You used that term without explaining who is battling whom, over what, and what, specifically, the outcome means to the victor. This isn't Ford vs. Chevy vs. Ram trucks. Don't cop out with a typical, "read the post," because you haven't explained yourself at all.

Alonso trashed and seemed to show contempt and disrespect for Honda for a number of years. Honda seems like they're done with him, regardless of any chance he might have of winning Indy. Why do you think Honda should treat him like a prodigal son? For a few extra blips on the twitter-gram in May? Honda has likely looked at the pros and cons of the situation, and given their resources and knowledge, decided to pass on him. It's their right.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

17. 02-03-2020 07:22 PM #391

I read it. Are you referring to the redemption story angle? I am not trying to be obtuse or anything. I just don't see how they are losing a marketing battle.

18. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      02-04-2020 01:05 PM #392
      The March 21st Formula E race in China has been cancelled because of the coronavirus, and now F1 is looking at whether to cancel the April 19th F1 race there as well.

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-04-2020 01:22 PM #393
      F1: We turn a blind eye to human rights violations, but a viral outbreak is crossing the line

Cars
      02-04-2020 01:23 PM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      The March 21st Formula E race in China has been cancelled because of the coronavirus, and now F1 is looking at whether to cancel the April 19th F1 race there as well.
      They should. No way will any team members feel fine going to China by then even if things are completely cleared. I have a Chinese vendor who's telling me that the government has stated that no workers may return to the factories until at least Feb 10th, and they're thinking it'll get pushed further out still. Between that and just 6 weeks later having a GP there makes no sense, and I can't see any team or organization forcing its members to put themselves at such risk, especially since these same people are going to be basically traveling the world throughout the year.

I suspect they haven't formally cancelled it yet so as to not create hostilities with the Chinese government.

21. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      02-04-2020 02:08 PM #395
      They should. No way will any team members feel fine going to China by then even if things are completely cleared.
      I agree. And esp so since the entire F1 machine (the team containers, support personnel, hospitality, media, merch, PR, etc) lands in Vietnam on March 31st for the April 5th race there, then over to China for the race on the 19th.

And on a side note, years ago I got to see a presentation on the logistics side of F1 and how they move the whole circus around the world as they do. For them to alter the 2020 China plans, meaning not send anything there and save those transport costs, they need to make the "cancel" decision like...yesterday. The scope/scale of F1 logistics is massive.

Cars
      02-04-2020 02:17 PM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      I agree. And esp so since the entire F1 machine (the team containers, support personnel, hospitality, media, merch, PR, etc) lands in Vietnam on March 31st for the April 5th race there, then over to China for the race on the 19th.

And on a side note, years ago I got to see a presentation on the logistics side of F1 and how they move the whole circus around the world as they do. For them to alter the 2020 China plans, meaning not send anything there and save those transport costs, they need to make the "cancel" decision like...yesterday. The scope/scale of F1 logistics is massive.
      I suspect they have, but to avoid upsetting the government, they're not saying anything publicly yet. They probably will also allow the government to make the announcement themselves, that out of cautious, they're cancelling the race. That ensure there are no burned bridges for F1 and the Mfrs, for whom China is a huge market.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      02-04-2020 02:38 PM #397
      Is he? Genuinely asking, because I haven't come across anything in the F1 press to make him seem pompous. I assume he gets more coverage in Canada obviously.
      No more than any other big cheese. He was always regarded as the dude who just buys his way into everything in the Quebec racing circles. I remember he used to compete in some racing series that took place on his track in Mont-Tremblant and was consistently last place, which I always found kind of funny.

He was right to put more effort into Lance's career. I am actually starting to develop more and more respect for Lance, despite the fact that he is only in F1 cause of daddy. It will be very fun to have TWO Montrealers on the track now (Latifi). Pretty sure that is completely unprecedented.

F1: We turn a blind eye to human rights violations, but a viral outbreak is crossing the line
      F1 wouldn't have anywhere to race if they didn't turn a blind eye to human rights violations.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 02-04-2020 at 02:43 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

24. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-04-2020 02:53 PM #398
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      It will be very fun to have TWO Montrealers on the track now
      Imagine if they were sponsored by Orange Julep or craft poutine.

02-04-2020 02:53 PM #399
      Ricciard was on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah last night.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/ay75l7/th...on-25-ep-25057

"The clownprince of racing"

Cars
      02-04-2020 02:55 PM #400
      Imagine if they were sponsored by Orange Julep or craft poutine.
      RP to be renamed to Smoked Meat Racing.

Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast