Fourtitude.com - The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Results 326 to 350 of 1227
    1. 01-21-2020 11:22 AM #326
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I dont get peoples hate for Alonso... I mean sure he burned some bridges by being outspoken about having a ****ty power unit and rightfully so. The car was pure **** when he was in it, anyone would have been massively frustrated about it and I actually commend him for not being a PR bot and actually speaking his mind. Maybe that embarrassment is what Honda needed?

      Now on the other hand, I think once you retire, stick with the damn decision. I hate this trend of retiring and coming back. 90% it bites them in the ass and they look worse. As much as I dislike how Rosberg left, at least he was smart enough to just leave at the top.
      No, Honda didn't need Alonso to embarrass them at their home track, lol. That was a "D" move and verifies what's bad about Alonso. Even good teams struggle and having a Prima Donna downing you in public isn't a good thing. Note that McLaren is doing better without him and Honda is doing better without them both.

      I give Vettel a ton of credit for his professionalism at Ferrari. Few have as much right to beeyotch than Vettel yet he sticks up for his guys in the garage and at times is even encouraging in his words.

      If Alonso was at Ferrari he would be a negative drag, demand a better car and pieces than Leclerc, demand priority in the race and pit strategy and blame everyone but himself when he tanked.

      I don't hate Alonso, he's good entertainment for what spills out of his mouth more so than what he does on a track. Remember his feud with Horner and Marko about who wanted who and what year that actually was? Dude is sad ego maniac with no filter. Awesome for a sound bite, terrible in a team.

      With Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes, look who Alonso got passed over by: Leclerc, Ghastly/Albon and Bottas. Think on that a minute.

      Binotto of Ferrari didn't say "it pleases us" to know Alonso is available, because it doesn't.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-21-2020 11:29 AM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

      If Alonso was at Ferrari he would be a negative drag, demand a better car and pieces than Leclerc, demand priority in the race and pit strategy and blame everyone but himself when he tanked.
      Have you heard of the stories on what Schumacher would do and to his teammates? Nico recalled a time where Schumi was purposely hanging out in the bathroom to not let Nico go right before a qualifying session to the point he almost would not have got to the car on time. Schumi played all sorts of mind games and was known to demand the best and no share things with teammates.

    4. Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Location
      World's #5 Economy
      Posts
      3,516
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      01-21-2020 12:39 PM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

      I don't hate Alonso
      Forgive us for thinking so, because you never miss a chance to crowbar in how much you think he sucks, or what a bad guy he is, what a bad teammate, how he's washed up, etc.

    5. 01-21-2020 01:15 PM #329
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Forgive us for thinking so, because you never miss a chance to crowbar in how much you think he sucks, or what a bad guy he is, what a bad teammate, how he's washed up, etc.
      Because he hasn't changed, so it remains s. His antics bring him up again in the news from time to time and we rehash all that is Alonso.

    6. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      7,559
      Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-21-2020 01:19 PM #330
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Have you heard of the stories on what Schumacher would do and to his teammates? Nico recalled a time where Schumi was purposely hanging out in the bathroom to not let Nico go right before a qualifying session to the point he almost would not have got to the car on time. Schumi played all sorts of mind games and was known to demand the best and no share things with teammates.
      Formula 1 really is a weird sport with regard to "teams." It's the only "team" sport I know of where a win by one teammate can be bad for the other. When their interests aren't aligned with their teammate or often even their team, it's not surprising that F1 teammates wouldn't necessarily get along.

    7. 01-21-2020 01:21 PM #331
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Have you heard of the stories on what Schumacher would do and to his teammates? Nico recalled a time where Schumi was purposely hanging out in the bathroom to not let Nico go right before a qualifying session to the point he almost would not have got to the car on time. Schumi played all sorts of mind games and was known to demand the best and no share things with teammates.
      Absolutely, I read that too.

      You've also read stories about how Schumacher was a unifying force for the Ferrari team. He wasn't the bomb in the garage Alonso is.

    8. 01-21-2020 02:15 PM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Absolutely, I read that too.

      You've also read stories about how Schumacher was a unifying force for the Ferrari team. He wasn't the bomb in the garage Alonso is.
      So much so he had it written into his contract

    9. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,043
      Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      01-21-2020 02:33 PM #333
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Have you heard of the stories on what Schumacher would do and to his teammates? Nico recalled a time where Schumi was purposely hanging out in the bathroom to not let Nico go right before a qualifying session to the point he almost would not have got to the car on time. Schumi played all sorts of mind games and was known to demand the best and no share things with teammates.
      Nico kept pounding on the door...

      "Ocupado!"


    10. 01-21-2020 02:35 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      So much so he had it written into his contract
      He speaks truth!

      Schumacher was a positive force that drew people to him too, people wanted to work with and for him. Alonso is the polar opposite.

      The fact that the top three teams all passed on him says it all.

    11. 01-21-2020 02:44 PM #335
      I cant say im certain with the history but if he was the reason Brawn and Todt joined i can agree if not then...

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,593
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-21-2020 03:15 PM #336
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I don't know of any professional athlete who retired and came back at their best.
      There is one well know F1 driver that pulled it off. Niki was a 2X WDC at Ferrari in the 70s, then retired for a full 2 years, then came back and raced 4 more seasons w/ McLaren and won the WDC again at age 35.

      RIP.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,593
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-21-2020 03:18 PM #337
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      I cant say im certain with the history but if he was the reason Brawn and Todt joined i can agree if not then...
      Todt was already at Ferrari 3 yrs before Schumi and helped convince him to join the red team. Schumi joining prompted both Brawn and Byrne to join up as well. The rest is history.
      So Schumi joining influenced 2 of those 3 guys to get on board.

    14. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,748
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-21-2020 03:23 PM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I don't know of any professional athlete who retired and came back at their best.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2014
      Location
      Kansas City area
      Posts
      335
      01-21-2020 03:25 PM #339
      Alonso is old news and that's coming from an Alonso fan. The longer he is out of an F1 car the harder any return would be. At this point I'm not convinced he'd do all that well. He should stick to what he's doing now. Being able to pick and choose what races you want to do and managing to find a top ride each time you commit is a pretty bad ass job.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 9th, 2011
      Location
      Greece
      Posts
      768
      Cars
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      01-21-2020 03:44 PM #340
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Thats what I was thinking!

      Anyway, I beloeve each driver needs the right team to perform at his best. Alonso with Briatore was a pair as good as Schumacher with Todt. And that's why Alonso got 2xWDC.
      See Vettel. Compare his performance in Red Bull vs Ferrari. He clearly felt at home back at the time. Same as Hamilton right now.
      Of course "divas" will have something in their contract benefiting them. A WDC is not the same as a rookie in the same way a 1xWDC is not the same as a 2xWDC etc. Each driver will do whatever it takes to get the #1 status and we can't blame them.

      Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

    17. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,748
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-21-2020 04:18 PM #341
      Quote Originally Posted by georgeboole View Post
      Thats what I was thinking!

      Anyway, I beloeve each driver needs the right team to perform at his best. Alonso with Briatore was a pair as good as Schumacher with Todt. And that's why Alonso got 2xWDC.
      See Vettel. Compare his performance in Red Bull vs Ferrari. He clearly felt at home back at the time. Same as Hamilton right now.
      Of course "divas" will have something in their contract benefiting them. A WDC is not the same as a rookie in the same way a 1xWDC is not the same as a 2xWDC etc. Each driver will do whatever it takes to get the #1 status and we can't blame them.

      Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
      Definitely. For many drivers, if not all of them, having someone at the highest level of the team be fully in support of you is key to winning a championship. That's something Ferrari has been lacking since Schumacher's departure. Granted they won in 2007, but arguably because McLaren made that same mistake themselves.

      As for Alonso returning, while I would love to see him at the top in a competitive car, from a team standpoint, I see them going with any diver they feel is capable of winning the championship. For instance, Ferrari feels between Vettel and Lecerlc, they have drivers capable of winning the wdc with the proper car. Same for Mercedes with Hamilton, and RBR with Verstappen. Renault feels the same about Riccicardo, and Mclaren, if they are to make that leap in performance, they feel they have that in Sainz and also with Norris in due time.

      As such, I don't see where any team with top performing car feeling like they need Alonso.

    18. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      32,505
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-21-2020 04:54 PM #342
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      As such, I don't see where any team with top performing car feeling like they need Alonso.
      As of 4hrs ago, McLaren and he are no longer linked. Alonso is going to be driving a Honda @ Indy this year.

      https://racer.com/2020/01/21/alonso-...mes-to-an-end/
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    19. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,748
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-21-2020 05:12 PM #343
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      As of 4hrs ago, McLaren and he are no longer linked. Alonso is going to be driving a Honda @ Indy this year.

      https://racer.com/2020/01/21/alonso-...mes-to-an-end/
      Yeah I saw that and think it's great. I can see Andretti wanting him with a third car and I sincerely hope he wins it this year.

      My point is regarding Alonso in F1. I just don't see any of the top 3 needing him at the moment.

      But any other series, especially something more spec based like IndyCar, I can see a team wanting him as he'd instantly make them a contender for the championship.

    20. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      32,505
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-21-2020 05:14 PM #344
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      My point is regarding Alonso in F1. I just don't see any of the top 3 needing him at the moment.
      Haas would be the only team I can see wanting him in the very near future as a final swing for the fentses.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-21-2020 05:14 PM #345
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post

      My point is regarding Alonso in F1. I just don't see any of the top 3 needing him at the moment.
      Exactly, the top teams have what they need. I could only see him going to a lower team for "development" but that wouldn't be great to his career imo and it be best he stay retired. Going back to a team like Williams or Haas would just be pointless.

    22. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,748
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-21-2020 06:43 PM #346
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Haas would be the only team I can see wanting him in the very near future as a final swing for the fentses.
      GP2 CNCs?


    23. 01-21-2020 07:02 PM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Exactly, the top teams have what they need. I could only see him going to a lower team for "development" but that wouldn't be great to his career imo and it be best he stay retired. Going back to a team like Williams or Haas would just be pointless.
      As stated above, the top three teams passed on Alonso when there was indeed an opening though, by signing Bottas, Leclerc and Ghastly/Albon.

      Sitting in on short term race deals is the sweet spot for Alonso. If he did a full season of Indy, his 'tide and mouth would becon full display, alienating a whole new audience

    24. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,748
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-21-2020 07:51 PM #348
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      As stated above, the top three teams passed on Alonso when there was indeed an opening though, by signing Bottas, Leclerc and Ghastly/Albon.

      Sitting in on short term race deals is the sweet spot for Alonso. If he did a full season of Indy, his 'tide and mouth would becon full display, alienating a whole new audience
      I think that's being mis-represented. They passed because they didn't want two number 1 drivers on their teams, and they all had a driver which they believed to be capable of winning the WDC. That's the point that being made. Ferrari had Vettel, Merc had Hamilton, and RBR had Verstappen when Leclerc, Bottas, and Gasly/Albon were selected. None of those teams felt the need to bring in another, as they felt they had the drivers needed to win a WDC.

    25. 01-21-2020 08:34 PM #349
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I think that's being mis-represented. They passed because they didn't want two number 1 drivers on their teams, and they all had a driver which they believed to be capable of winning the WDC. That's the point that being made. Ferrari had Vettel, Merc had Hamilton, and RBR had Verstappen when Leclerc, Bottas, and Gasly/Albon were selected. None of those teams felt the need to bring in another, as they felt they had the drivers needed to win a WDC.
      Confidence in Vettel was waning long ago, since Sergio Marchionne's days and Verstappen hadn't had his breakout 2019 season yet, still Ferrari and Red Bull passed on Alonso. Mercedes doesn't need the drama.

      They had opportunities to sign Alonso and they didn't. They will have an opportunity again soon, let's see if they all pass on Alonso. Again.

    26. Geriatric Member @McMike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2002
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      36,144
      Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      01-31-2020 05:56 AM #350
      Thank god. No more "Sport Pesa Racing Point"

      https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...troll/4678704/

      Racing Point to be rebranded as Aston Martin after Stroll deal

      Racing Point is to become the Aston Martin Formula 1 team from the start of 2021 as part of a new investment deal between the British car manufacturer and Lawrence Stroll.

      Following a board meeting of Aston Martin on Thursday night, it was confirmed this morning that a consortium led by Stroll has bought a 16.7 percent stake in the company for £182 million.

      In filings that were lodged with the London Stock Exchange on Friday morning that detailed the investment, it was made clear that an ‘enhanced’ F1 involvement for Aston Martin was viewed as essential.

      The documents said that as part of this: “Aston Martin Lagonda has entered into a legally binding termsheet under which the Racing Point F1 team will become the Aston Martin F1works team with effect from the 2021 season. This agreement is for a 10-year initial term and Aston Martin Lagonda will receive an economic interest in the team.”

      The agreement will include Aston Martin sponsorship from 2021 and for a period of four years, which can then be extended subject to certain conditions.
      Question is, will Lance be driving for them in 2021?

    Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •