Fourtitude.com - The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Results 201 to 225 of 1239
    1. Member Elite_Deforce's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2012
      Location
      Ottawa-Gatineau
      Posts
      8,565
      Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      01-08-2020 09:11 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Max will most likely never match Hamilton's dominance simply cause under the new management the new F1 in any near future will not be held by the balls by a single team in political chess game. Current rules were setup by Mercedes blackmailing F1 and they pretty much killed the sport 7 years later. Amount of FIA approved decisions that lack common sense was staggering but one that takes the cake is engine development freeze. What else is there to say.
      You know it's Ferrari that has all the pull with the FIA right? No one wants to watch F1 without Ferrari, for better or for worse.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2001
      Location
      Cypress, TX
      Posts
      2,000
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      01-08-2020 09:36 AM #202
      Williams loses another sponsor, this time it is Rexona. They were the second biggest sponsor having invested 15M£ in the team. They are the forth sponsor to leave in the last few months...


    4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 10:06 AM #203
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Wait, what?


      You must be a Ferrari fan.
      As a Ferrari fan even that sounds crazy

    5. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 10:10 AM #204
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      As you say, Red Bull will if they have a reason too. And they did this time, reason being that if Red Bull didn't pay Verstappen, Mercedes would. So Verstappen got his pay day, third highest paid driver on the grid, $16 million a year:

      Mercedes were considering making a move for the 22-year-old if Lewis Hamilton opted to join Ferrari next year.

      But the Silver Arrows will have to look elsewhere if their star replaces Sebastian Vettel at the Prancing Horse.

      I spent the holidays fixing the contract,” Marko told Auto Bild. “I was very worried about losing Max to Mercedes in 2021.

      The new contract was not cheap. But I didn't feel like playing poker."
      So with 16M he's the 3rd highest paid? I know Hamilton was like 50 something and Vettel 40, then it goes all the way down to 16? Danny was making like 26 million, so not sure how Verstappen being paid 16 is the 3rd highest?

      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post


      #driversmatter, there's a reason why these top guys are sought after and paid well. The car doesn't mean squat if it spins, crashes, can't pass, can't qualify, can't defend or be offensive.
      I agree, it's definitely a combination. A good driver is still needed, but a Car makes even a medicore driver good.

    6. 01-08-2020 11:24 AM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      So with 16M he's the 3rd highest paid? I know Hamilton was like 50 something and Vettel 40, then it goes all the way down to 16? Danny was making like 26 million, so not sure how Verstappen being paid 16 is the 3rd highest?



      I agree, it's definitely a combination. A good driver is still needed, but a Car makes even a medicore driver good.
      I'm not sure how they parse it out but this site puts Verstappen third highest paid:

      Mercedes made Red Bull splash the cash and make Max Verstappen third highest paid F1 star.

      Red Bull chief Helmut Marko says he did not want to play poker with Max Verstappen’s future. The Dutchman penned a lucrative £12million-a-year contract extension yesterday.

      Only Hamilton and Vettel will earn more than Verstappen in 2021 but Marko did not want to take any risks.


      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ntract-F1-news

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 11:36 AM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      A good driver is still needed, but a Car makes even a medicore driver good.
      Agreed. And a mediocre car makes a great, world driver's champion mediocre. The list of drivers who already had a WDC, were considered to be best in class and then didn't win because they weren't in a top car anymore is long. Luck, timing and $$ means more in this sport than most. Imagine for a moment if Hamilton signed that McLaren deal instead of listening to Niki and jumping ship, and resigning with McLaren was his first choice according to him. Nico would be a multiple times WDC.

      The car always comes first, as there's been many up and coming drivers over the last dozen years that have been (unfairly) christened to be future F1 champions, yet it didn't materialize because there were only 2 cars that could deliver a champion over the last 10 years. Just 5 years ago this guy was the next star of F1:

      https://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...12-141unz.html

      He's got immense talent, yet without the car he'll never be a champion. Along with Danny, there are F1 press articles of "here's a future WDC" for Hulkenberg, Bottas, Bianchi (RIP), Grosjean (yep - even him), Kvyat, Magnussen, Verstappen and LeClerc. All they need is a seat at the top. And right now there's only 6 of those.

    8. Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Location
      World's #5 Economy
      Posts
      3,519
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      01-08-2020 11:59 AM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      All they need is a seat at the top. And right now there's only 6 of those.
      Which is why I fast-forward through most F1 races these days but watch Indycar contests through and through.

    9. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      32,505
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-08-2020 12:01 PM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Which is why I fast-forward through most F1 races these days but watch Indycar contests through and through.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 12:07 PM #209
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Which is why I fast-forward through most F1 races these days but watch Indycar contests through and through.
      I just take my afternoon naps while watching them. Buzzing of those v6's is like white noise

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 12:35 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Which is why I fast-forward through most F1 races these days but watch Indycar contests through and through.
      To be fair, there's 4 other seats that you could actually sit in on a race weekend if you had some talent and your dad had a billions dollars to throw around....
      Last edited by tbvvw; 01-08-2020 at 01:02 PM.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 12:42 PM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I just take my afternoon naps while watching them. Buzzing of those v6's is like white noise
      Speaking of noise, here's a little something for you guys to remember the V8 noise back in 2012. The sound at 8-9 seconds in, from that far away is great! Enjoy!



      And of course there was other drama at the start as well...
      Last edited by tbvvw; 01-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.

    13. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,770
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-08-2020 01:24 PM #212
      On a recent Motorpsorts.com podcast with Andy Cowell (head of Mercedec-AMG High Performance Powertrains, aka "Brixworth"), he kept saying how the sound of the new engines enable kids to go to races, etc. I can understand the argument that those who have to work with the engines day in and day out are likely glad to have quieter engines, but I thought he was a bit disingenuous with the way he came across being glad the old engine noise is now gone.

      I've grown to accept the new powertrains, but if they were to bring back the high revving NA noise, I'd be as excited as ever for F1, as it was such a great part of watching it, either at the race or on TV.

    14. Member 91gti20v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2001
      Location
      Orlando, Fl
      Posts
      4,739
      Cars
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera, '15 Touareg TDI & '05 LGT Wagon
      01-08-2020 01:41 PM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Speaking of noise, here's a little something for you guys to remember the V8 noise back in 2012. The sound at 8-9 seconds in, from that far away is great! Enjoy!

      And of course there was other drama at the start as well...
      Lucky enough to experience the V10's in 2002 at Indy, V8's at inaugural Austin race and then the current formula at Montreal a couple years back.

      Walking up the track at Indy during a practice was spine tingling... FROM OUTSIDE THE VENUE!

      Similar for the V8's. I barely felt like I needed earplugs at the Montreal race. The support races were louder.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 02:31 PM #214
      Quote Originally Posted by 91gti20v View Post
      Lucky enough to experience the V10's in 2002 at Indy, V8's at inaugural Austin race and then the current formula at Montreal a couple years back.

      Walking up the track at Indy during a practice was spine tingling... FROM OUTSIDE THE VENUE!

      Similar for the V8's. I barely felt like I needed earplugs at the Montreal race. The support races were louder.
      I've heard the V10s and V8s in person several times but haven't been to a race since the hybrid era started. So I can't compare live, and TV doesn't really project the differences (in any racing series) like live does.

      I'm fine with the performance of the new "powerunits" but see the writing on the wall...cough, cough....Formula E.

    16. Member Dravenport's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2010
      Location
      Ottawa, Ontario
      Posts
      3,899
      Cars
      2017 A5
      01-08-2020 02:50 PM #215
      signing in for all the hamilbro haters whinging when he ties schumacher this year
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

    17. 01-08-2020 02:59 PM #216
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      signing in for all the hamilbro haters whinging when he ties schumacher this year
      Read above how they hate it yet can't help but come here to beeyotch about it tell them to take a nap and watch Indy, no feks given

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2010
      Location
      NoVa
      Posts
      1,611
      01-08-2020 03:14 PM #217
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Williams loses another sponsor, this time it is Rexona. They were the second biggest sponsor having invested 15M£ in the team. They are the forth sponsor to leave in the last few months...

      But then there's this: https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/ne...p-with-lavazza

      With Latifi I'm sure they will have some cash. Hopefully it's enough for them to at least play with the mid-pack on occasion. I'd like to see what Russel is all about.

    19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 03:25 PM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      On a recent Motorpsorts.com podcast with Andy Cowell (head of Mercedec-AMG High Performance Powertrains, aka "Brixworth"), he kept saying how the sound of the new engines enable kids to go to races, etc. I can understand the argument that those who have to work with the engines day in and day out are likely glad to have quieter engines, but I thought he was a bit disingenuous with the way he came across being glad the old engine noise is now gone.

      I've grown to accept the new powertrains, but if they were to bring back the high revving NA noise, I'd be as excited as ever for F1, as it was such a great part of watching it, either at the race or on TV.

    20. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      32,505
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-08-2020 03:27 PM #219
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Read above how they hate it yet can't help but come here to beeyotch about it tell them to take a nap and watch Indy, no feks given
      OR watch both?
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    21. 01-08-2020 03:36 PM #220
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      OR watch both?
      I do, I caught a few Indy races last year and I'm looking forward to what Penske is going to do with it. The guy has so much history, he knows motorsport, my hopes are high

    22. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,102
      01-08-2020 03:40 PM #221
      Did someone say engine noise?


      Starts @1:00


    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 03:48 PM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Read above how they hate it yet can't help but come here to beeyotch about it:
      The day before the season started in the 2019 thread, I predicted he'd win the WDC and M-B will win the WCC.

      I will be predicting the same this season.

      Until you understand why we need reg and team budget cap changes, because you really don't, and those changes take effect, he and M-B will be my winner prediction until he retires.

      Feel better?
      Last edited by tbvvw; 01-08-2020 at 03:52 PM.

    24. 01-08-2020 04:03 PM #223
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      The day before the season started in the 2019 thread, I predicted he'd win the WDC and M-B will win the WCC.

      I will be predicting the same this season.

      Until you understand why we need reg and team budget cap changes, because you really don't, and those changes take effect, he and M-B will be my winner prediction until he retires.

      Feel better?
      Come back and post often, the negative perspective isn't offered enough

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,643
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-08-2020 04:08 PM #224
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Come back and post often, the negative perspective isn't offered enough
      I'm not negative toward Lewis, he's the best driver on the grid in the best car. I'm just a realist.

      And so is every single London oddsmaker, his WDC futures are tracking better than in any prior M-B season.

      https://www.oddschecker.com/us/motorsport/formula-one

      https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/ra...pionship-odds/

    26. 01-08-2020 04:10 PM #225
      I always thought Vettel going back to Red Bull was a long shot, well it just got longer. If he tanks again in 2020 it's hard to see hin back at Ferrari and Mercedes has an ace. If Hamilton stays put, where does Vettel go?

      Ricciardo is the only wold card left, he always wanted to wear red, this may be his shot at it. He just has to beat Ocon, which should be easy.

    Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •