Fourtitude.com - The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      01-03-2020 02:08 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I was just ribbing ya!
      Oh yeah, I was just playing along.

Looking forward to the new season. What do you think of the Zandvoort track in the video above? That banked turn looks wild!
      Should be a good season. With most things staying pretty stable it'll be interesting to see who can make a serious sustained challenge.

I'm not sure why they're using a banked turn but I'm hoping to get a chance to watch it this year as I missed almost the whole 2019 season being a responsible husband/parent/homeowner.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-03-2020 02:23 PM #177
      Martin Brundle is featured on Chris Harris' Collecting Cars Podcast. A good listen, although some are the same stories from previous podcasts. But he does provide his opinion on the current forms of Hamilton, Vettel, Lecerc, and Verstappen. A good listen nonetheless, but then again most interviews with Brundle are.

https://collectingcars.com/podcasts/

4. 01-03-2020 06:43 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Martin Brundle is featured on Chris Harris' Collecting Cars Podcast. A good listen, although some are the same stories from previous podcasts. But he does provide his opinion on the current forms of Hamilton, Vettel, Lecerc, and Verstappen. A good listen nonetheless, but then again most interviews with Brundle are.

https://collectingcars.com/podcasts/
      Wow, thanks so much for linking that. I listened to it as helped prepare dinner. Says as much as I've been saying about looking back at F1 with rose colored glasses.

Brundle's description of US football was hilarious and his love of cars, new cars, was refreshing.

So much history and well spoken, I enjoyed that

5. 01-06-2020 11:18 AM #179
      Marko makes a bold statement that Ferrari isn't in the game for the championship in 2020. Last season was a cluster fek for Ferrari, team and drivers alike. But still, it count them out early is saying something:

"However, Marko is seemingly disregarding Ferrari from the equation at this very early stage based on performances toward the end of the 2019 campaign.

Our opponent will be Mercedes, especially Lewis Hamilton,” Marko told Auto Bild.

I have to admit that he drives almost perfectly and is currently the best Formula 1 driver with regards to the overall package. But then Max Verstappen comes next.

“We were ahead of them [Ferrari] in the last third of the season. They don’t seem to have the advantage, especially with their engine, as they did before.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/marko-...20-title-race/

6. 01-07-2020 06:08 AM #180
      Wow, Verstappen has signed a contract extension with Red Bull that will lock him in until 2023!

"Max said; “I am really happy to have extended my partnership with the Team. Red Bull believed in me and gave me the opportunity to start in Formula 1 which I have always been very grateful for. Over the years I have grown closer and closer with the Team and besides the passion from everyone and the on-track performance it is also really enjoyable to work with such a great group of people. Honda coming onboard and the progress we have made over the last 12 months gives me even more motivation and the belief that we can win together. I respect the way Red Bull and Honda work together and from all sides everyone is doing what they can to succeed. I want to win with Red Bull and our goal is of course to fight for a World Championship together.”

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...ax-attack-2023

I wonder what the payout is. Marko and Horner publicly always say they don't believe in the big payouts.

7. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      01-07-2020 10:29 AM #181
      Wow, Verstappen has signed a contract extension with Red Bull that will lock him in until 2023!

"Max said; “I am really happy to have extended my partnership with the Team. Red Bull believed in me and gave me the opportunity to start in Formula 1 which I have always been very grateful for. Over the years I have grown closer and closer with the Team and besides the passion from everyone and the on-track performance it is also really enjoyable to work with such a great group of people. Honda coming onboard and the progress we have made over the last 12 months gives me even more motivation and the belief that we can win together. I respect the way Red Bull and Honda work together and from all sides everyone is doing what they can to succeed. I want to win with Red Bull and our goal is of course to fight for a World Championship together.”

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...ax-attack-2023

I wonder what the payout is. Marko and Horner publicly always say they don't believe in the big payouts.
      Came to post this, leaving satisfied. I was really surprised that he was willing to gamble like this. Kid has talent and he wants to be WDC now & later. I wonder if RB is going to be the team to get him there? Even if he jumps ship at 2023 for whoever is the best at that time, he is still young enough to be a multi WDC but if he wants to try and break any of Hamilton's records, some may be out of reach at this point. Suppose his contract has any performance clauses like his last one did?

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-07-2020 10:34 AM #182
      Well, did he have any other choices? Ferrari was not happening with his recent remarks so he burned that bridge, and Mercedes prob wasn't going to take him either?

But let's hope RBR gets more competitive and put a fight for often If they can give him a competitive enough car, he definitely has a chance to win a championship now doubt

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      01-07-2020 10:40 AM #183

Vettel back in 2014 was earning 31.7 Million at RBR

Verstappens 2019 salary at RBR is 13.5

10. Member
      Cars
      01-07-2020 10:48 AM #184
      You think it's a coincidence that they announced Max's contract extension on Hamilton's birthday?

11. 01-07-2020 11:10 AM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Came to post this, leaving satisfied. I was really surprised that he was willing to gamble like this. Kid has talent and he wants to be WDC now & later. I wonder if RB is going to be the team to get him there? Even if he jumps ship at 2023 for whoever is the best at that time, he is still young enough to be a multi WDC but if he wants to try and break any of Hamilton's records, some may be out of reach at this point. Suppose his contract has any performance clauses like his last one did?
      I think you're right, Verstappen is young plus it's his team, full support, #1, he wouldn't have that at Mercedes and Ferrari.

I would bet straight money there's performance clause, Honda was waffling too about the future, so I bet he's smart enough to have an out.

12. 01-07-2020 11:13 AM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Well, did he have any other choices? Ferrari was not happening with his recent remarks so he burned that bridge, and Mercedes prob wasn't going to take him either?

But let's hope RBR gets more competitive and put a fight for often If they can give him a competitive enough car, he definitely has a chance to win a championship now doubt
      Yes, Verstappen did an Alonso and unnecessarily burned his relationship with Ferrari.

Mercedes though may have been a possibility. But Verstappen will get 100% support at Red Bull. If anybody gets a dollar figure on Verstappen's new contract, post it up. I'm curious as to how much they let go to keep him.

13. Member
      Cars
      01-07-2020 12:24 PM #187
      Yes, Verstappen did an Alonso and unnecessarily burned his relationship with Ferrari.

Mercedes though may have been a possibility. But Verstappen will get 100% support at Red Bull. If anybody gets a dollar figure on Verstappen's new contract, post it up. I'm curious as to how much they let go to keep him.
      Mercedes probably want Russell. The perfect pairing would probably be Russell and Norris. Both are young and hungry, yet surprisingly mature for their age. I think both of them together at Mercedes would be a good thing.

Look at what Verstappen has accomplished in 5 seasons (7 1st place finishes, and a best of 3rd in the WDC) compared to what Lewis did in his first two seasons (9 1st place finishes, WDC in 2008). Lewis struggled from 2009 through 2013 during which he only recorded 13 first place finishes and finished 4th four times in the WDC. That was a rough five year period but when 2014 ushered in the hybrid era, he CRUSHED it. 11 1st place finishes and WDC. The following years speak for themselves.

I love how many records Lewis has reached and that he is still writing F1 history. Honestly, Max is good but I don't think he is going to be the one to beat Hamilton in the overall scheme of things. Same thing with Leclerc, he is good and will do amazing things, but I just don't see it. I remember Australia 2007 and was blown away when Lewis finished 3rd in his first race. Watching him the rest of the season you could tell that he was something special. He was hungrier than any of the other drivers and was given a golden opportunity at McLaren.

Long story short, the next few years should be really interesting as Hamilton's career begins to wind down, while the younger drivers start to ramp up as they gain experience. Still, the ultimate question for me is "Where will Hamilton finish his career?"

14. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      01-07-2020 12:41 PM #188

Look at what Verstappen has accomplished in 5 seasons (7 1st place finishes, and a best of 3rd in the WDC) compared to what Lewis did in his first two seasons (9 1st place finishes, WDC in 2008). Lewis struggled from 2009 through 2013 during which he only recorded 13 first place finishes and finished 4th four times in the WDC. That was a rough five year period but when 2014 ushered in the hybrid era, Mercedes CRUSHED it. 11 1st place finishes and WDC. The following years speak for themselves.
      ftfy

Cars
      01-07-2020 12:52 PM #189
      Mercedes probably want Russell. The perfect pairing would probably be Russell and Norris. Both are young and hungry, yet surprisingly mature for their age. I think both of them together at Mercedes would be a good thing.

Look at what Verstappen has accomplished in 5 seasons (7 1st place finishes, and a best of 3rd in the WDC) compared to what Lewis did in his first two seasons (9 1st place finishes, WDC in 2008). Lewis struggled from 2009 through 2013 during which he only recorded 13 first place finishes and finished 4th four times in the WDC. That was a rough five year period but when 2014 ushered in the hybrid era, he CRUSHED it. 11 1st place finishes and WDC. The following years speak for themselves.

I love how many records Lewis has reached and that he is still writing F1 history. Honestly, Max is good but I don't think he is going to be the one to beat Hamilton in the overall scheme of things. Same thing with Leclerc, he is good and will do amazing things, but I just don't see it. I remember Australia 2007 and was blown away when Lewis finished 3rd in his first race. Watching him the rest of the season you could tell that he was something special. He was hungrier than any of the other drivers and was given a golden opportunity at McLaren.

Long story short, the next few years should be really interesting as Hamilton's career begins to wind down, while the younger drivers start to ramp up as they gain experience. Still, the ultimate question for me is "Where will Hamilton finish his career?"
      Not to take Anything away from Hamilton, as he is that good. However, when he came into the sport, testing was allowed, and he tested quite a bit coming into 2007. I think he did over 1,000 laps. And coming in with a top team, he had a car that fully exploited his talent. Compare that to Max, who barely got to test the TR, and it was nothing near the caliber of that 2007 McLaren. Also, he was about 5 years younger than Hamilton in his rookie year, compared to Hamilton in 2007.

For comparison, Max is today the same age Hamilton was during his 2007 debut season.

So, factoring in age, which one cannot discount when it comes to solid decision making on and off the track, couple with testing, I don't think it's a fair comparison and to assume that max cannot be on the same level as Lewis. If anything, given that he's had 5 years of F1 experience, and is just not 22, to me implies that he has a strong chance of better Hamilton's records, with the caveat being if he's as daring and lucky a Hamilton in selecting which team he drives for. I say daring and lucky, because it took guts for Lewis to take the risk and jump ship to Mercedes, but he was also lucky that it panned out. So without his gutsy decision and ability to be a team player, and without the luck, he'd likely not be the 6 time WDC that he is.

So, if Max's bet with RBR works, and if he can remain professional and not criticize the team and engine supplier (he's been good about that thus far), then there's high hope for him.

16. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-07-2020 01:13 PM #190
      ftfy
      This.

It's amusing to me reading about drivers crushing it when it was the car & team that did the crushing. Lewis is by far the best driver since the Schumi dynasty era but as good as he is, Vettel was handing it to him and the whole field 4 seasons in a row because....the car. Lewis wasn't struggling 2009-2013, the McLaren wasn't as fast as the RB. And in 2009 Jenson had no business at the top if it wasn't for Ross B working some one year magic. In 2010 Lewis only finished a few points off the top 3, just one less DNF and he would be near the top. And it wasn't like Webber didn't beat Lewis too, so that RB did the heavy lifting. Same as today, the driver who would be WDC if not for Lewis gets zero press in this thread, his teammate. And look what Nico did, he finished 1/2/2 in 3 seasons. Russell got into the M-B W10 for just the 2nd time ever a month ago at Abu Dhabi and set the fastest times in 2020 tire testing. The car is that good!

Just imagine if Ross and Niki didn't / couldn't convince Lewis take a huge risk to join an unproven M-B team who's never won anything. (Ross B wanted him but the M-B board didn't want to pay his $25M salary so Niki flew to Stuttgart to influence them to pay the $$) Credit to Lewis for taking the risk, credit M-B for supplying him the car to win. The fact that they had another WDC and many WDC 2nd place finishes speaks to the team/car domination.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-without-lauda
      Last edited by tbvvw; 01-07-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Cars
      01-07-2020 02:44 PM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      This.

It's amusing to me reading about drivers crushing it when it was the car & team that did the crushing. Lewis is by far the best driver since the Schumi dynasty era but as good as he is, Vettel was handing it to him and the whole field 4 seasons in a row because....the car. Lewis wasn't struggling 2009-2013, the McLaren wasn't as fast as the RB. And in 2009 Jenson had no business at the top if it wasn't for Ross B working some one year magic. In 2010 Lewis only finished a few points off the top 3, just one less DNF and he would be near the top. And it wasn't like Webber didn't beat Lewis too, so that RB did the heavy lifting. Same as today, the driver who would be WDC if not for Lewis gets zero press in this thread, his teammate. And look what Nico did, he finished 1/2/2 in 3 seasons. Russell got into the M-B W10 for just the 2nd time ever a month ago at Abu Dhabi and set the fastest times in 2020 tire testing. The car is that good!

Just imagine if Ross and Niki didn't / couldn't convince Lewis take a huge risk to join an unproven M-B team who's never won anything. (Ross B wanted him but the M-B board didn't want to pay his $25M salary so Niki flew to Stuttgart to influence them to pay the $$) Credit to Lewis for taking the risk, credit M-B for supplying him the car to win. The fact that they had another WDC and many WDC 2nd place finishes speaks to the team/car domination.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-without-lauda

All this says is that it's pretty much always a top driver plus a top car in order to win the championship. Weber never won it, but came close. Rosberg one it once out of 3 tries in the same car, and Bottas hasn't won it in 3 tries (or is it 2? I forget). So take 1 of the 2 out of that equation, and you basically will not win a championship. The most recent exception to the rule was 2007 where Alonso and Hamilton stepped all over each other and gave Kimi the WDC, although to his credit, Kimi hung in there and did his part too win too.

Another examples of 1 missing out of the 2 requirements would be Schumacher at Ferrari from '96-'98, with '99 being an exception due to his broken leg.

18. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      01-07-2020 03:02 PM #192
      All this says is that it's pretty much always a top driver plus a top car in order to win the championship. Weber never won it, but came close. Rosberg one it once out of 3 tries in the same car, and Bottas hasn't won it in 3 tries (or is it 2? I forget). So take 1 of the 2 out of that equation, and you basically will not win a championship. The most recent exception to the rule was 2007 where Alonso and Hamilton stepped all over each other and gave Kimi the WDC, although to his credit, Kimi hung in there and did his part too win too.

Another examples of 1 missing out of the 2 requirements would be Schumacher at Ferrari from '96-'98, with '99 being an exception due to his broken leg.
      And don't forget Jenson. Brawn took a huge gamble on the aero design and hung on to win after the regs were changed.

And while I agree it takes both, there's a ton of examples of high-quality WDC winners never sniffing a podium if the car wasn't good enough. Just look at Senna and Prost, they jumped ship when they thought the competition had a faster car. Many in here think Alonso's ability is top 3 in F1 over the last dozen+ years. How'd that work out with a subpar car? Point is, we tend to blame the drivers for not overcoming and winning when the car beneath them, even when driven at 10/10ths by a former WDC isn't good enough. That's why I disagree with somebody saying Lewis struggled 2009-2013. He didn't - the car did. Listen to his post race interviews, he was wringing 100% out of the car, driving it as well as he can drive, and the RB was faster with even Mark W behind the wheel. So my point is, he might have been doing his very best work ever but the car wasn't up to the task...so no trophy for him that season.

Max is a great driver, but when people write he (or Charles, or anyone) has a great future in store for them with many possible WDCs ahead, they don't understand Max has no control of that if the RB is the 2nd or 3rd best car on the grid the next 3 seasons.

19. Member
      Cars
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      01-07-2020 03:56 PM #193
      Vettel back in 2014 was earning 31.7 Million at RBR

Verstappens 2019 salary at RBR is 13.5
      Vettel has already won 4 WDC by that time so it's much different.

I don't think he burned any bridges. It's not like he went public and complained about an already existing relationship like Alonso and Honda.
      But signing that contract that early and for so many years tells me that there was pressure from other teams to get him and Red Bull got in a hurry to sign him. I coukd be wrong.

You missed Irvine during that broken leg time. Schumacher came back to support him ger the championship but he never got it.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

20. 01-07-2020 04:17 PM #194

Hamilton's talent from the beginning was high and he built on it over the years. Today, he's at the top of his game. From Helmut Marko of Red Bull:

"When asked whether he would choose his own driver as the best, he said: "No. Hitting the road [Max] may be quicker, but if you look at the complete package, Hamilton is still better,"

"He is incredibly fast and has a lot of experience. We've seen that over and over again."

"He isn't at the top in the first, second or third free practice, but in qualifying he is there and drives his best lap.”

"His racing is impressive. Take Monaco for example: he drove slowly in places where you can't overtake anyway and thus saved his tyres.

"Or look at his fastest lap in Abu Dhabi. Compared to Max, he is very experienced. That's a huge advantage
      .".

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/52602...l-better-.html

What Hamilton had achieved had been through constant learning. He had the speed early, he added to his race craft and gained consistency.

That's what Verstappen has to do now. 2019 was his best in F1, though the green side and loss of focus reared it's head. It would be a big ask for Verstappen ti achieve what Hamilton has. His youth is his greatest aid. He will need it and had better use it to get better than he is today.

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      01-07-2020 04:17 PM #195
      Quote Originally Posted by georgeboole View Post
      Vettel has already won 4 WDC by that time so it's much different.

The point I was trying to make and didnt do a good enough job explaining was that RBR will pay big bucks, but there has to be a reason. It was in response to Burnette saying Marko doesnt like big pay outs

22. 01-07-2020 04:35 PM #196

I agree.The cream rises to the top and champions end up on championship teams. Gross Jeans would just crash faster in the Mercedes Silver Arrow!

Here's the record of champions compared to Verstappen:

Almost as striking as how far back Verstappen sits from the bunch is actually how closely matched Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher and Alonso were through a century of outings in their careers.

Verstappen (Australia 2015 - USA 2019)

Titles: 0
      Wins: 7
      Poles: 1
      Fastest laps: 7
      Podiums: 29
      Races led: 18

Hamilton (Australia 2007 - Germany 2012)

Titles: 1
      Wins: 18
      Poles: 21
      Fastest laps: 11
      Podiums: 46
      Races led: 42

Races led: 42

Vettel (USA 2007 - USA 2012)

Titles: 2 (3rd title secured in 101st race)
      Wins: 26
      Poles: 36
      Fastest laps: 15
      Races led: 47

Alonso (Australia 2001 - Italy 2007)

Titles: 2
      Wins: 19
      Poles: 17
      Fastest laps: 11
      Races led: 47

Schumacher (Belgium 1991 - Japan 1997)

Titles: 2
      Wins: 27
      Poles: 17
      Fastest laps: 28
      Podiums: 54
      Races led: 46

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4...0-grands-prix/

23. 01-07-2020 07:46 PM #197
      Max will most likely never match Hamilton's dominance simply cause under the new management the new F1 in any near future will not be held by the balls by a single team in political chess game. Current rules were setup by Mercedes blackmailing F1 and they pretty much killed the sport 7 years later. Amount of FIA approved decisions that lack common sense was staggering but one that takes the cake is engine development freeze. What else is there to say.

24. 01-07-2020 07:54 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Max will most likely never match Hamilton's dominance simply cause under the new management the new F1 in any near future will not be held by the balls by a single team in political chess game. Current rules were setup by Mercedes blackmailing F1 and they pretty much killed the sport 7 years later. Amount of FIA approved decisions that lack common sense was staggering but one that takes the cake is engine development freeze. What else is there to say.
      You used all of the tin foil in the house to make that hat.

25. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-07-2020 08:05 PM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Wait, what?

You must be a Ferrari fan.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

26. 01-08-2020 05:43 AM #200
      The point I was trying to make and didnt do a good enough job explaining was that RBR will pay big bucks, but there has to be a reason. It was in response to Burnette saying Marko doesnt like big pay outs
      Horner, especially during pre and post race spots in '17 and '18 would say there's no way Red Bull would pay out what Mercedes and Ferrari did for their top drivers.

As you say, Red Bull will if they have a reason too. And they did this time, reason being that if Red Bull didn't pay Verstappen, Mercedes would. So Verstappen got his pay day, third highest paid driver on the grid, $16 million a year:

Mercedes were considering making a move for the 22-year-old if Lewis Hamilton opted to join Ferrari next year.

But the Silver Arrows will have to look elsewhere if their star replaces Sebastian Vettel at the Prancing Horse.

I spent the holidays fixing the contract,” Marko told Auto Bild. “I was very worried about losing Max to Mercedes in 2021.

The new contract was not cheap. But I didn't feel like playing poker."

Verstappen has been very happy at Red Bull and he finished third in the Drivers’ Championship last season - beating both Ferrari’s.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ntract-F1-news

#driversmatter, there's a reason why these top guys are sought after and paid well. The car doesn't mean squat if it spins, crashes, can't pass, can't qualify, can't defend or be offensive.
      Last edited by Burnette; 01-08-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast