Fourtitude.com - The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    1. 12-23-2019 07:25 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      The episode he does with David Letterman covers this perfect.
      I would love to see that clip, can you point to it? I searched with no lock.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      12-23-2019 08:21 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaspherion View Post
      I would love to see that clip, can you point to it? I searched with no lock.
      It's The Netflix show Letterman does:

4. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      12-23-2019 10:22 AM #153
      Leclerc signs contract with Ferrari through 2024. That is a lot of faith that they will give him a car that will be able to win him a title. Charles currently has the longest contract in place out of all the current drivers on the grid...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lecler...ct-until-2024/

5. 12-23-2019 11:00 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post

Thanks for sharing that, I don't have Netflix but wish I could see the whole segment. I really like Dave, pretty good interviewer

6. 12-23-2019 11:05 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Leclerc signs contract with Ferrari through 2024. That is a lot of faith that they will give him a car that will be able to win him a title. Charles currently has the longest contract in place out of all the current drivers on the grid...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lecler...ct-until-2024/
      That's huge, Ferrari is desperate though and know that if they keep tanking it will be hard to get good drivers. Might as well lovk in a young one, if he's not a #1 he's definitely a #2 going forward.

Tell me this:
      Take away Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Bottas and Ricciardo out of the picture. With who's left on the grid, who would you put next to Leclerc to really challenge him?

7. Member
      Cars
      12-23-2019 11:17 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

Tell me this:
      Take away Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Bottas and Ricciardo out of the picture. With who's left on the grid, who would you put next to Leclerc to really challenge him?
      Easy, Norris. I think he has the potential to be a long term success in this sport, especially with a top-tier team. He seems easy going and doesn't have a personality that will clash. I know he has only done one season but he has really impressed me.

8. 12-23-2019 11:57 AM #157
      Easy, Norris. I think he has the potential to be a long term success in this sport, especially with a top-tier team. He seems easy going and doesn't have a personality that will clash. I know he has only done one season but he has really impressed me.
      I would like to see that too. What a great time in F1 to have such good young talent on the grid

George Russell's stock is rising with me mainly because if what he's been saying, his pre F1 career is just as impressive as Leclerc's. We've got to get Russell out of the Williams camp.

This may be of note to you. I don't follow the lower ranks much and wasn't in the know about Mick Schumacher, it seems he's struggling:

Be that as it may, Schumacher still needs to prove that he can hold his own in the world of F1 in the near future, however, his first season at F2 level was underwhelming when compared to those who came before.

It was actually George Russell who raised the point recently that he and Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc had the same junior success prior to F1, and that he sees their careers as still being on the “exact same path”.

Leclerc entered the GP3 series in 2016 and won the title at his first attempt, before graduating to F2 the following season and crowning himself champion again with his first shot.

Russell also has this achievement to his name, completing it a year after Leclerc – and as we now know Leclerc is being branded as a future World Champion at Ferrari, while Russell, part of the Mercedes programme, has just demolished Robert Kubica at Williams

So this is clearly the route that Schumacher wants to follow, after all he’s walking in Leclerc’s footsteps right now, but his first F2 campaign left a lot to be desired.

But that rookie campaign would see Schumacher finish a lowly P12. He did win the sprint race in Hungary, though that was his only podium of 2019.

Sure he did show some flashes of real ability, especially in wheel-to-wheel combat, but in their title-winning years both Russell and Leclerc were the clear standouts in their field, while Schumacher wasn’t in that conversation.

Only two drivers so far have won the GP2/F2 Championship before going on to become World Champion in F1, that being Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton. Both of whom won the title in their rookie GP2 seasons.

But winning the F2 crown is merely the step up to much tougher waters in F1 – just ask Stoffel Vandoorne who won the 2015 GP2 title by a record 160-point margin, yet after just two full seasons with McLaren he was gone.

This isn’t an attempt to bury Schumacher with stats, but it’s just a case of pointing out that if he does turn things around and goes on to be one hell of a driver, then he will very much be an exception to the trend.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi..._don8217t_lie/

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-23-2019 12:17 PM #158
      The new crop of racers I think are pretty good. We just need some of the old guard to finally leave and make room for these new drivers to teams that can allow their skills to shine.

10. Member
      Cars
      12-23-2019 12:34 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post

Here is a copy of the full episode. Please let me know if this works. Sorry about the quality, there weren't very many copies available for download. FWIW, this is the whole episode and it's really good. Even my wife who isn't much of an F1 fan enjoyed it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1re...a3veh4JHSNfVzV
      Last edited by roman16v; 12-23-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      12-23-2019 01:32 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      We just need some of the old guard to finally leave and make room for these new drivers to teams that can allow their skills to shine.
      That and somehow create more parity between the Big 3 and the midfield teams so the new generation doesn't end up being a bunch of Nico Hulkenbergs scrapping around for 7th place.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-23-2019 03:38 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      The new crop of racers I think are pretty good. We just need some of the old guard to finally leave and make room for these new drivers to teams that can allow their skills to shine.
      Agreed. This current crop of younger drivers are pretty impressive, and I can't wait to see the rivalries for championships between them.

13. 12-23-2019 06:11 PM #162
      Here is a copy of the full episode. Please let me know if this works. Sorry about the quality, there weren't very many copies available for download. FWIW, this is the whole episode and it's really good. Even my wife who isn't much of an F1 fan enjoyed it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1re...a3veh4JHSNfVzV
      It worked! Oh man, that was a thousand times better than I imagined. The time Dave spent with the kids was just great, Dave at his best. The talk with Hamilton's Dad, enjoyed that. The flash backs, he was so intense as a kid. And Dave and Hamilton in the wagon, I laughed so hard at that.

An F1 Christmas gift, than you so much for linking me here, I really enjoyed it. Happy Holidays to ya

14. Member
      Cars
      12-23-2019 09:59 PM #163
      It worked! Oh man, that was a thousand times better than I imagined. The time Dave spent with the kids was just great, Dave at his best. The talk with Hamilton's Dad, enjoyed that. The flash backs, he was so intense as a kid. And Dave and Hamilton in the wagon, I laughed so hard at that.

An F1 Christmas gift, than you so much for linking me here, I really enjoyed it. Happy Holidays to ya
      Glad it worked, sorry about the quality.

15. Member
      Cars
      12-23-2019 11:36 PM #164

16. Member
      Cars
      12-25-2019 01:58 PM #165
      Seriously, I just want Kubica to go away. Like Alonso, he just keeps lingering when in fact, he should just vanish.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/al...elopment-role/

17. Member
      Cars
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      12-25-2019 04:49 PM #166
      Seriously, I just want Kubica to go away. Like Alonso, he just keeps lingering when in fact, he should just vanish.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/al...elopment-role/
      There is no chance will ever get a driver's seat anymore. It was great seeing him back but we all knew he wouldn't be the one we were used to.
      I mean, I have seen him rallying back when he was good and was amazed by how fast he was compared to top rally drivers. But the injuries he had made his real comeback impossible.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

18. Member
      Cars
      12-27-2019 03:47 PM #167
      Daniel Ricciardo has said that his focus for 2020 is to try and build a better team chemistry at Renault.

The Aussie arrived at Renault for the 2019 season, making the switch from Red Bull, but it was a disappointing campaign as they ended up P5 in the Constructors’ Championship, while Ricciardo was forced to settle for P9 in the Drivers’ standings.

And he feels that Renault would benefit from some morale building exercises, saying that sometimes all he gets is a “hi” from team principal Cyril Abiteboul on race weekends.

“For next year I’ve got some ideas of things I can do more or better. I feel like I integrated myself into the team well this year, but I look back and am like I can do more,” Ricciardo is quoted by Crash.net.

“I want to have a bit more presence before the season starts, before testing, but also have some ideas of things we can do together as a team to get us into the season – not just technically, but as a team unit I want to get to Barcelona feeling like we got some momentum before the season even starts.

“Even some team morale stuff, call it team building and some activities. More importantly to spend time with the team, even away from the track.

“At the track even like with Cyril [Abiteboul] sometimes it is ‘hi’ and that is all you get over the weekend because we are busy. So you don’t always get good quality time at the circuit.

“I feel that to take this relationship to the next level, getting time away from the track is good. Just having that feeling, even for the guys, if they know each other a bit more, they will want to work a little bit harder for each other and make some good stuff happen.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/riccia...rom-abiteboul/

Honestly, Toto seems like the most well-rounded leader in the F1 paddock. Brown and Steiner aren't too bad for vocal clips during the race. Binotto seems pretty shielded, Claire knows better, Szafnauer... who? Sauber doesn't even have one (jk), Horner does a good job and is well spoken, and Tost... meh. Really kind of interesting how it covers all ends of the spectrum and I think it shows how well Mercedes is put together. Every single piece is polished perfection.

Thoughts?

19. 12-27-2019 06:57 PM #168
      This goes back to the parity and money equation. I don't care how much money you give Williams they would still suck because they are leaderless and haven't assembled a talented group outside if George Russell. They shouldn't even be in F1, selling off parts and signing for dollars, they are a shell with a legendary name.

Haas, I pull for the home team but again, poorly ran, they don't have all of the pieces, certainly not the key pieces to an F1 team.

Renault should be on F1 but only as an engine supplier. They cannot build a car or organize a team. If they just focused on the PU as a supplier they would di well. Ricciardo has spoken how they don't have a winning attitude, they don't expect to win and they don't. They are a bunch of pieces that don't fit and don't progress. When other teams consistently do better with your power unit than you, you suck. Again, even with more money Renault would struggle.

Red Bull still had key people and have proven that even with the huge impact of changing engines they still perform. With s capable PU they would be championship contenders, no doubt. Ricciardo spoke of them too, they expect to won even when they shouldn't and sometimes they do. Props to Marko and Horner for keeping the talent without the big results. They are the team that Ferrari and Mercedes fear.

Ferrari is a cluster fek, an embarrassment with huge potential. After Binotto ran off Arrivabene, they tripped over small stuff and gave away wins and poles through personal ineptitude. The loss of races when you're leading, poor reliability when leading, drivers spinning and three wheeling during the US GP in front of Mathew McConaughey. If Marko, Horner and Verstappen had that PU they probably would have won the championship with it. Ferrari was lucky to finish where they did.

Mercedes isn't infallible, team and drivers make mistakes but they win the races they are supposed to and some they shouldn't have. They push each other and strive for perfection. I've lost count of how many times they had serious debriefings where they laid it all out where they went wrong at races that had just won. They never take it for granted that opponents will screw up, it just so happens that their opponents did, and then they capitalized on it.

20. Member
      Cars
      01-01-2020 11:53 AM #169
      Robert Kubica has signed a deal to become Alfa Romeo’s reserve driver for 2020, bringing his backer PKN Orlen with him.

Kubica’s new role comes following the agreement of a “a multi-year partnership” between the Swiss team and Polish oil company PKN Orlen which will see them compete as ‘Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN’ next year.

Kubica made his return to F1 in 2019 with Williams, completing a miracle comeback after the severe injuries he suffered to his right arm in a rally crash in 2011.

But it was a poor season for the team as they languished at the back with Kubica scoring their only point of 2019 with P10 in Germany.

Before his move to Alfa Kubica had been linked with a simulator role at Haas and Racing Point.

The Polish driver has experience with the Alfa Romeo team, driving for them under their previous incarnation as BMW Sauber from 2007 to 2009, claiming the sole win of his career at the 2008 Canadian GP.

Speaking about the deal, Kubica said, as quoted by Motorsport.com: “I am really happy to be starting this new chapter in my career as I join Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN.

“This team holds a special place in my heart and I am pleased to see some faces still here from my years in Hinwil.

“Time and circumstances are obviously different, but I am convinced that I will find the same determination and hunger to succeed. I am looking forward to helping Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN make the next step forward.”

Alfa Romeo team principal Frederic Vasseur said: “We are also delighted to welcome Robert back home and we cannot wait to start working with him.

“He is a driver that needs no introduction: one of the most brilliant in his generation and one who displayed the true meaning of human determination in his fight to return to racing after his rallying accident.

“His feedback will be invaluable as we continue to push our team towards the front of the grid.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alfa-r...-kubica-signs/

21. 01-01-2020 12:07 PM #170
      It's Formula 1's 70th Anniversary. To celebrate it they will display new logos this year:

https://formulaspy.com/f1/formula-1-...for-2020-66884

Cars
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      01-02-2020 01:07 PM #171
      So is everyone just ripping each other off or is there only one designer out there?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-governments-war-room-possibly-runs-afoul-over-second-logo

It's Formula 1's 70th Anniversary. To celebrate it they will display new logos this year:

https://formulaspy.com/f1/formula-1-...for-2020-66884

23. 01-02-2020 09:02 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Vrucizzy View Post
      So is everyone just ripping each other off or is there only one designer out there?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-governments-war-room-possibly-runs-afoul-over-second-logo
      Those are white stipes with red borders, F1's logos are red stripes with white borders

24. 01-02-2020 09:03 PM #173
      Zandvoort at sunrise:

Cars
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      01-03-2020 01:03 PM #174
      Those are white stipes with red borders, F1's logos are red stripes with white borders
      Please forgive my shameful faux pas

26. 01-03-2020 01:14 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Vrucizzy View Post
      Please forgive my shameful faux pas
      I was just ribbing ya! They are very similar indeed

Looking forward to the new season. What do you think of the Zandvoort track in the video above? That banked turn looks wild!

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast