Fourtitude.com - VW drops by 9 ranks for 2020 Consumer Reports! OUCH!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 129
    1. 12-05-2019 04:33 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      You know why there's such a vocal anti-VW sentiment in TCL? Because so many of us are former VW owners, and we were burned. You can always stick to the Emkay forums if you want your bias validated.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,627
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-05-2019 05:07 PM #102
      I've owned 4 VW's (3 GTI's and 1 Rabbit) and never had any major problems with them.

      Caveat is the longest one I owned was for 3.5yrs and put only 55k miles on it.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2015
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      1,314
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      12-05-2019 05:23 PM #103
      Isn't Acura's fall more notable here, since lots of people expect VW to be unreliable, and think Toyota and Honda are foolproof?

      Imagine having not much reason for existing at all in this market in the first place, and having poor reliability? Might as well be Fiat

    5. Member BLK9GEN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2001
      Location
      Reno, NV
      Posts
      13,555
      12-05-2019 08:16 PM #104
      it is quite notable.

      Honda/Acura has been seemingly replaced by Hyundai/Genesis/Kia in terms of reliability. Funny the difference 5-6 years can make.

      Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

      Love one another




    6. 12-05-2019 09:01 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Ha, I post two sales figures refuting your claim of poor market performance over the last 20 years, and you keep writing dissertations. That sir, is being behind.
      It's pretty clear who is being a behind here.

      You should go to the nearest VW dealership service waiting room and tell those good people that they are trolls for complaining about their VWs. Set those people straight, how dare they talk bad about your company.

    7. 12-05-2019 09:07 PM #106
      So I have a couple things to say. First, Americans and any others with strong car culture do take cars personal. It is just how some people are; some look at cars as if they are their children. I am not saying this is right or wrong but it is just how it is. Many people spend much of their life in their car, so it is like a traveling home for some people.

      Now, my second point. This applies to VW and many other car companies. When people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on their cars they expect reliability to some extent. This is not irrational at all to expect quality from a car company that has been around for years. If the company does not care for reliability and just cares about profit and sweeping problems under the rug they will lose in the long run. This is just how the market is. Never think that any car company is safe from bankruptcy. Anything can happen and most people that spend thousands on cars want Japanese style reliability, especially, if they have a family to haul around. VW needs to improve their quality however, they need to admit there is a problem with it if they ever want to improve.

      I am quite disappointed about their status in 2019, they need to try harder.

    8. 12-05-2019 09:12 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      it is quite notable.

      Honda/Acura has been seemingly replaced by Hyundai/Genesis/Kia in terms of reliability. Funny the difference 5-6 years can make.

      Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      I'm pro consumer and the more brands the better. The rise of the Korean brands has made the fight for our business a tough one for some manufacturers.

      I've seen your thread on the Hyundai Kona EV. Visually, it looks decent, they didn't make it look like a spaceship. And the Hyundai Veloster N is interesting too. We have way too many choices today to suffer crap product, I'm glad they're doing well.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      5,735
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-06-2019 07:01 AM #108
      I'm not quite sold on the Koreans displacing Honda. Maybe they've turned things around- I'll wait and see. But a bunch of little **** on my Optima went wrong that I've never seen on Hondas. Both headlight projectors are burnt out. The wastegate actuator went out of alignment and cut all boost. Rear view camera stopped working etc. I wasn't a victim of this but they also have that huge nasty engine recall. And the driving dynamics are terrible. I still don't know why I bought that damn thing

      I know Honda has the 1.5T problems and I've seen some issues with Honda Sensing... but IDK, I still trust Honda over the long term.

    10. Member VeeRsixx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 5th, 2004
      Location
      Harrisburg PA
      Posts
      3,094
      Cars
      '04 R32 Black Magic '17 Black Golf R
      12-06-2019 08:08 AM #109
      I just skimmed this thread. Wow, so much typing.

      Drove dubs all my life, as stated in [dumb] sig.

      **

      It's as simple as this-- I want a 2 door car. VW no longer makes one available in USA. My 4 door golf r looks stupid.

      What do you (anybody) think happens to a company that no longer makes a product that you wish to purchase ?
      past dubs: (all black) - 1984 GTI - 1992 GTI 16v - 2001 GTI VR6

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      1,099
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      12-09-2019 11:23 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      That last part is hitting it on the head. They look through old glasses. The reality of VW is long and terrible, the Routan, problem plagued Touareg, the tiny and expensive Tiguan, the decontented Passat and Jetta, the emissions scandal, the Passat left to die and get stale, the new Jetta that got even uglier and consumers complaining about the same problems they had ten years ago.

      I get that many people dig their Beetles, Rabbits, old Golfs, but some bad stuff happened after that
      GM, Ford, BMW and more all can echo this, many manufacturers just don't handle the complexity of cars very well, and most of them are not run by car people. Heck the Ford dual-clutch fiasco in far worse than the emissions cheating by VW IMO.

      I am not a VW fanboi, but i think the GTI/GLI/Golf are nice cars. I had a 2013 GTI that was fine for 40k - one bad water pump that i knew was a known issue so when it happened, it happened. I picked up a 2019 GLI and so far its been fine - but there are rattles that i need to hunt down but i also decided to get a first year (ugh) to get the extra warranty. My family has had several Audis, all of them have been decent and none particularly bad.

      That said, if you like you car with a dash of performance, the options are really drying up with the demise of the FiST, FoST, Fiat 500, and the death of GM/FCA small cars that might have provided options. What's left at the 30k mark? The Civic Si, WRX, the GTI/GLI, and the Hyundai N series - assuming they keep it and expand that lineup to more than a quirky 3 door hatch. Beyond that, the GTI/GLI are the only handsome and non-boy racers cars in the segment, alongside the R if you want to move up. I very much appreciate the overall packages and lament that there are no adult friendly options.

      For the average enthusiast the VW case is strengthened in 2020 with the demise of so many sporty cars. I wish more folks bought the Sportwagen as that was a lovely car that will be missed as well. I know the future is crossovers, but as long as VW makes the GTI/GLI, it will be competitive for me. Wish the Polo GTi would come here since the FiST is gone so they could grab the compact sporty segment as well.

      I moved from a 2018 WRX to a 2019 GLI and the difference in dynamics and execution is noticeable. If people think VW is phoning it in, holy crap Subaru has been in a coma.

    12. 12-09-2019 02:18 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      GM, Ford, BMW and more all can echo this, many manufacturers just don't handle the complexity of cars very well, and most of them are not run by car people. Heck the Ford dual-clutch fiasco in far worse than the emissions cheating by VW IMO.

      I am not a VW fanboi, but i think the GTI/GLI/Golf are nice cars. I had a 2013 GTI that was fine for 40k - one bad water pump that i knew was a known issue so when it happened, it happened. I picked up a 2019 GLI and so far its been fine - but there are rattles that i need to hunt down but i also decided to get a first year (ugh) to get the extra warranty. My family has had several Audis, all of them have been decent and none particularly bad.

      That said, if you like you car with a dash of performance, the options are really drying up with the demise of the FiST, FoST, Fiat 500, and the death of GM/FCA small cars that might have provided options. What's left at the 30k mark? The Civic Si, WRX, the GTI/GLI, and the Hyundai N series - assuming they keep it and expand that lineup to more than a quirky 3 door hatch. Beyond that, the GTI/GLI are the only handsome and non-boy racers cars in the segment, alongside the R if you want to move up. I very much appreciate the overall packages and lament that there are no adult friendly options.

      For the average enthusiast the VW case is strengthened in 2020 with the demise of so many sporty cars. I wish more folks bought the Sportwagen as that was a lovely car that will be missed as well. I know the future is crossovers, but as long as VW makes the GTI/GLI, it will be competitive for me. Wish the Polo GTi would come here since the FiST is gone so they could grab the compact sporty segment as well.

      I moved from a 2018 WRX to a 2019 GLI and the difference in dynamics and execution is noticeable. If people think VW is phoning it in, holy crap Subaru has been in a coma.
      I hear you, but people aren't into brands to the point that they tolerate known problems like your water pump after 40,000 miles. There's way too many other options our there now.

      I totally agree that it's awesome that VW still panders people who care about performance. Even there though, the competition there will give consumers something to think about over the long haul of ownership.

    13. Member homerdash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2008
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      180
      Cars
      2014 GLI
      12-09-2019 06:29 PM #112
      grunching thread but FWIW, i've received 3 class action settlements in the mail over the past couple weeks re: VWs i owned at one point. 2 copies of the water pump settlement for EA888 nonsense and another for tire rotation/replacement nonsense on a '14 CC. i have 0 VWs currently and spent $0 on the above issues so eh.

      OTOH, common VW issues over the years are still preferred to something like the Focus/Fiesta transmission nonsense...

    14. 12-09-2019 06:39 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
      grunching thread but FWIW, i've received 3 class action settlements in the mail over the past couple weeks re: VWs i owned at one point. 2 copies of the water pump settlement for EA888 nonsense and another for tire rotation/replacement nonsense on a '14 CC. i have 0 VWs currently and spent $0 on the above issues so eh.

      OTOH, common VW issues over the years are still preferred to something like the Focus/Fiesta transmission nonsense...
      But I think you hit the nail on the head, US consumers of cars by and large have told Ford an VW to suck it by shopping elsewhere. The Asian and Korean brands are taking customers who aren't as accepting of bad transmissions, water pumps and lawyer class action suit mailings

    15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      80,074
      Cars
      2018 F150
      12-09-2019 06:42 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      But I think you hit the nail on the head, US consumers of cars by and large have told Ford an VW to suck it by shopping elsewhere. The Asian and Korean brands are taking customers who aren't as accepting of bad transmissions, water pumps and lawyer class action suit mailings
      And yet Hyundai paid out 22 million for a class action lawsuit against their dual clutch transmissions.

    16. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Posts
      11,583
      Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      12-09-2019 06:51 PM #115
      How are Audi and VW so far apart when they use 40-80% of the same parts and part numbers.

      Also, where was CR with VW a decade or two ago?

    17. 12-09-2019 06:51 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      And yet Hyundai paid out 22 million for a class action lawsuit against their dual clutch transmissions.
      No automaker is immune, for sure. All have recalls and suits. Honda and Toyota have had their issues and will so in the future.

      It's the continuity of a bad, long history that have hurt brands like Chevy, Ford, VW and others, they have earned their unreliable image by making big blunders on the regular.

    18. Member smoothsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2001
      Location
      San Francisco Peninsula
      Posts
      4,542
      Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      12-10-2019 07:40 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeRsixx View Post
      It's as simple as this-- I want a 2 door car. VW no longer makes one available in USA. My 4 door golf r looks stupid.

      What do you (anybody) think happens to a company that no longer makes a product that you wish to purchase ?
      This is my favorite dubber complaint.

      The 4 door golf looks exactly the goddamned same as the 2 door golf. I can't fathom why on this planet anybody would prefer a box with camaro-length doors instead of a car with 4 usable doors to access the space you have in the space-efficient box you bought.

      It's one thing arguing an LC500 needs to be a coupe for the swooping roofline, but a box on wheels is a box on wheels.

      The market segment for a 2 door golf is tiny, which is why they're ditching it, and why almost nobody cares, and it'll do next-to-nothing to sales.

      Don't see a lot of 2 door SUVs either, do ya?

      (I owned an Mk7 Golf R, it was great).
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      5,735
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-10-2019 09:26 PM #118
      It's very simple. You start with a conclusion- don't want to (or can't) buy a new VW; work your way backwards to a reason, no matter how ridiculous it may be. "VW should have compromised and made a Veloster fighter!!!" Makes sense

    20. Member 03gli401k's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2006
      Location
      Rhode Island
      Posts
      5,240
      Cars
      2003 Bagged 24V VR6 TURBO GLI, 83' BMW E21 320i
      12-10-2019 09:35 PM #119
      I personal think VW's quality really fell off after the MKIV

    21. 12-10-2019 09:39 PM #120
      VW has left the Passat to stank but if you're not going to compete in this market with it then it's actualll wise to not dump resources in it, so give them a pass for that. The looks of the new Jetta and Golf are subjective and thier base are/will be OK with them so that's a win there. VW had the wrong product mix and fixed that by updating one and introduced another, the Tiguan and Atlas. It's just too bad that issues with those two have perpetuated the image they're trying to shake.

    22. 12-12-2019 10:52 AM #121
      I like that styling on the 2020 Passat more that I like the previous Americanized styling and that design language looks better than it does on the Jetta.

      Not bad for phoning it in actually.

      Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

    23. n00b
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2019
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      2
      Cars
      UrsulamayofKH
      12-16-2019 04:08 AM #122
      Kaufen Sie Medikamente online


      prednisolon sonnenallergie

    24. n00b
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2019
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      2
      Cars
      UrsulamayofKH
      12-16-2019 04:28 AM #123
      Besuchen Sie unsere vertrauenswurdige Online-Apotheke


      sto?therapie prednisolon

    25. 12-16-2019 04:58 PM #124
      This had been in our neighborhood for two days stranded. They almost made it out.

      I had one of that vintage, dark slate in color. It always made it to the dealership though before taking a squat

      [IMG][/IMG]

    26. 12-17-2019 09:38 AM #125
      A Toyota broke down on the road near my neighborhood.

      Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •