Fourtitude.com - Who Likes/Dislikes The Exterior of the Porsche Macan?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 111
    1. 12-02-2019 04:34 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
      They're hideously overpriced, and I'd rather have an S5 SB, but with the right wheels, I think they look absolutely ace.
      I think they are pretty sleek, probably one of the sleekest on the market.


    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2015
      Location
      Cleveland, OH
      Posts
      1,130
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      12-02-2019 04:41 PM #77
      I have criticisms of other aspects of the Macan (and the looks of the Cayenne) - but I think the Macan looks good.

      For those who care (I spent 2 days recently test driving 2 separate base Macans as service loaners):
      - Steering number than 718, but that's expected
      - Brake pedal has a very annoying dead spot at the top. (My thought is it was probably engineered like this for clueless drivers who ride the brake too much )
      - 18 way thigh bolsters dug into my thighs (and I'm not even "large") - yes I had them all the way "out"
      - Seating position for taller people puts your head next to the B-pillar creating a huge blind spot, and really awkward ingress/egress.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

    4. 12-02-2019 09:25 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      I have criticisms of other aspects of the Macan (and the looks of the Cayenne) - but I think the Macan looks good.

      For those who care (I spent 2 days recently test driving 2 separate base Macans as service loaners):
      - Steering number than 718, but that's expected
      - Brake pedal has a very annoying dead spot at the top. (My thought is it was probably engineered like this for clueless drivers who ride the brake too much )
      - 18 way thigh bolsters dug into my thighs (and I'm not even "large") - yes I had them all the way "out"
      - Seating position for taller people puts your head next to the B-pillar creating a huge blind spot, and really awkward ingress/egress.
      The ones I have been in my shoulder is up against the B-pillar, I am 6 foot.

    5. 12-02-2019 09:28 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Oh man, this thread is so relevant to my interests, I've been itching to answer it all morning.

      First, answer to your main question... the exterior design.

      Overall I love it, I think it's gorgeous. Probably the best looking current Porsche after the 911. But... the refresh on the rear lights is clearly a compromise. Because they couldn't change the sheet metal they still have the bulges going up at the corners where all new Porsche clean-sheet designs are just one straight line across. At night when it's lit up it's fine. But during the day it gives it this weird 'kayak paddle' look which is not ideal. By contrast, the new rear lights on the new clean-sheet Cayenne are perfect. But this is a mid-life facelift so you get the lights going up at the edges still.



      Now on to everything else being discussed in this thread...

      I've been toying with buying one of these ever since 2017 when I instead opted for the Golf R. I've test driven it no less than FOUR TIMES! Including when the dealership let me take it for an entire weekend. And I'm always left feeling, "Ahhhhhhh, I want to love it, but not quite. It just doesn't do it for me."

      I think it mostly comes down to I'm just not an SUV guy, even the smallest, most awesomest SUV (I had the Macan GTS for the weekend test drive.) But what also really disappointed me, as mentioned by others is the packaging. It is SMALLER inside than my Golf R! I took my rear-facing child seats straight out of the R and could not fit them into the Macan. They simply would not fit. Unless I pulled the front seats so far forward it was impossible to drive. My wife was like, "Are you ****ing kidding me?"

      I still really want to get back into a Porsche and not because I'm a badge-whore as some will say, but because I love how Porsches feel and drive more than anything else. I don't get the same feeling from a BMW, MB, Volvo, Land Rover or Audi.

      But the Macan just doesn't quite do it.
      I am unsure about the exterior look of it.

      Your comments about the interior volume are interesting because I thought I was crazy when I thought it didnt have any more room in it than my Audi. I guess it has to do with the curvy body panels that tilt in.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,690
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 10:28 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      Your comments about the interior volume are interesting because I thought I was crazy when I thought it didnt have any more room in it than my Audi. I guess it has to do with the curvy body panels that tilt in.
      Design, but also equipment. There's lots of optional toys like adaptive air suspension that need space, not to mention those positively massive 295/40/20 rears on the Turbo.

      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy
      I was also one of those people who was pretty critical of the 982. To some degree I still am because I haven't driven one. I will say though, I have heard a few at cars and coffee and was impressed. I like what they did with the exhaust (at least at parking lot speeds), it doesn't really sound like a typical 2.XL turbo. And certainly better than a stock f8x M car, which just sounds terrible regardless of stock or aftermarket exhaust. I'd like to take a 982 S out for a spin at some point.
      Yeah, if you get a chance I'd recommend it, they're fun cars.

    7. Member ZPayne's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2014
      Location
      Frederick, MD
      Posts
      4,606
      Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      12-02-2019 10:44 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      It's a lifted GTI+.

      My car has about the same utility at half or less the price.

      But affluent mommies will still buy them.
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2014
      Location
      Corning, NY
      Posts
      2,749
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      12-02-2019 10:49 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      People are dumb.

    9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,435
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-02-2019 11:21 PM #83
      Looks like a nice Audi.
      Instagram - efrie004

    10. 12-02-2019 11:48 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      Its a Porsche?

    11. Member Lifelong Obsession's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2011
      Location
      PA and southern New England
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      12-02-2019 11:52 PM #85
      I don't love it, but I don't mind it.

      Looks like the Macan's sales numbers are holding steady and are as good as ever. Remember when these had a waiting list?

    12. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,333
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-03-2019 12:21 AM #86
      The Macan (along with the SQ5) strikes me as a fantastic single-car solution if you can only have one car. I think it looks pretty good, if not great, certainly one of the better-looking SUV/CUVs out there. If we were to do what we always threaten to do and move out of our house into the burbs into a city condo (after the kids leave) then a Macan would make a whole lot of sense merging our 3 vehicles down into just one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    13. 12-03-2019 12:34 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      You got my curious so I went out on the web and found these graphics as Porsche doesnt seem to publish the Macan's interior dimensions.

      Ironically the Golf, Stelvio and S5 Sportback have more room. Go figure...






    14. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,435
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-03-2019 01:02 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      Because omg not a car!

      There’s no making sense of it.
      Instagram - efrie004

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2000
      Posts
      7,141
      12-03-2019 08:59 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      it's a Porsche with 4 seats that you can get for under $80k.

    16. Member dubjager's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      3,867
      Cars
      '91 911, '14 SQ5
      12-03-2019 10:42 AM #90
      I'll start this off that I'm not an SUV guy. Not in the least. I had an allroad that I loved until very recently.
      The Macan's design is great to me, I think they hit a home run with it, the refresh isn't my cup of tea yet -- I don't think the rear light bar works -- but it is a great car.
      My main gripe is that the hatch window angle kills any space in the trunk and thus killing the usefulness for me with a dog and now a baby.

      We added an SQ5 over a year ago, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much the same exact car, BUT it has a lot more space. I am an avant/wagon guy all the way, always grew up with them in Europe, but the SQ5 fit more than the allroad, maybe just due to the height of the interior (from floor to roof?) but we've carried all sorts of things and I've been really impressed. We can tow with it and that's a big plus. The car is APR stage 2+ and is a hoot to drive, I will be lowering it to euro ride height soon and apparently it will make the car feel more planted.

      To the guy saying a Macan is a GTI+, get real. Drive one and you'll see how much the GTI is lacking. Yes, it does have little space, but I can see why this thing sells like hot cakes. My neighbor has a GTS and it is A LOT of fun to drive.

    17. 12-03-2019 10:43 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      it's a Porsche with 4 seats that you can get for under $80k.
      That is if you behave with the options .

    18. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,870
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      12-03-2019 10:54 AM #92
      I really like them, friends just picked up a Mexico blue one that is stunning for their winter car
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    19. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      11,793
      12-03-2019 11:08 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

      How do these things sell?!?
      People want to sit higher and its a Porsche with 4 seats. Pretty simple.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    20. 12-03-2019 12:04 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      I'll start this off that I'm not an SUV guy. Not in the least. I had an allroad that I loved until very recently.
      The Macan's design is great to me, I think they hit a home run with it, the refresh isn't my cup of tea yet -- I don't think the rear light bar works -- but it is a great car.
      My main gripe is that the hatch window angle kills any space in the trunk and thus killing the usefulness for me with a dog and now a baby.

      We added an SQ5 over a year ago, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much the same exact car, BUT it has a lot more space. I am an avant/wagon guy all the way, always grew up with them in Europe, but the SQ5 fit more than the allroad, maybe just due to the height of the interior (from floor to roof?) but we've carried all sorts of things and I've been really impressed. We can tow with it and that's a big plus. The car is APR stage 2+ and is a hoot to drive, I will be lowering it to euro ride height soon and apparently it will make the car feel more planted.

      To the guy saying a Macan is a GTI+, get real. Drive one and you'll see how much the GTI is lacking. Yes, it does have little space, but I can see why this thing sells like hot cakes. My neighbor has a GTS and it is A LOT of fun to drive.
      Your points about the SQ5 are true. I have been given Q5 loaners multiple times, they are not a GTIs. The GTI drives better! Its smaller and lighter. IMHO there is a difference in the driving between the SQ5 and the Macan but it is not night and day despite what the media says. Yes the Porsche drives better but its not 20K+ better.

      Ultimately it comes down to what your needs and wants are. I only carry people in the back occasionally so it being tight is not a big deal. What I do care about is that it has 4 doors, a hatch and a seat that can be folded for when I need to carry things.

      When you own a home you go to Home Depot A LOT. I would not be able to function without a car that couldnt carry things. When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.

    21. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      47,904
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      12-03-2019 01:19 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      When you own a home you go to Home Depot A LOT. I would not be able to function without a car that couldnt carry things. When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.
      Have owned homes for the last 10 years and I wouldn't say I go to Home Depot a lot. If I do and I need more space I grab my dad's Golf wagon or my buddy's F-150.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,690
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-03-2019 01:26 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.
      Once upon a time we actually fit an in-wall microwave in the back seat of our Jetta. I had thought I'd be strapping it to the roof rack but surprisingly it cleared by a quarter inch or so.

    23. 12-03-2019 01:45 PM #97
      One guy I know autocrosses his and puts respectable times on it, but he also uses it to tow his champcar e46 bmw lol

    24. 12-03-2019 03:01 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Have owned homes for the last 10 years and I wouldn't say I go to Home Depot a lot. If I do and I need more space I grab my dad's Golf wagon or my buddy's F-150.
      If you are doing renovations you will . So far I have done the kitchen and both upstairs baths. Plus other stuff.

    25. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,333
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-03-2019 03:09 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      If you are doing renovations you will . So far I have done the kitchen and both upstairs baths. Plus other stuff.
      I've owned two houses. The first was brand new, and I went to HD only occasionally.

      The second is 60 years old and I gut-rehabbed the basement and it was to the point where when I left the house at any time other than 8AM on a weekday, the predictive analytics on my iPhone would tell me how long it would take me to get to Home depot.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    26. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      7,258
      Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      12-03-2019 03:19 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      One guy I know autocrosses his and puts respectable times on it, but he also uses it to tow his champcar e46 bmw lol
      As I said before, that sort of capability is the one thing that makes me like it. It's not the best tool for any specific job, but if you need to tow and want something you can have fun in, there really aren't many alternatives. They do seem to depreciate nicely, which means they aren't a terrible deal used.

    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •