Fourtitude.com - Who Likes/Dislikes The Exterior of the Porsche Macan?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 12-01-2019 08:35 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I would get on your nerves even worse. After watching the video I linked I realized I was pronouncing the name wrong. I would be all up in your face telling you all about my Porsche "Makin,"
      I think the names are weird in general - Macan, Taycun, Cayenne. How about rolling penis enhancer ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      12-01-2019 08:49 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      I think the names are weird in general - Macan, Taycun, Cayenne. How about rolling penis enhancer ?
      The names do nothing for me but they are easier to remember than QX60, XT6. X6

4. 12-01-2019 09:06 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      The names do nothing for me but they are easier to remember than QX60, XT6. X6
      Totally agree. I can't keep any of them straight and that includes Mercedes and BMW.

Cars
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      12-01-2019 10:08 PM #54
      It's ok
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

6. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-01-2019 11:22 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Hahaha! Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. But I thought keeping up with the Jones's was just about purchasing what the neighbors have, not necessarily verbalizing the purchases at every opportunity. Particularly since no one she works with is her actual neighbor. Heck, I don't even live in the same state (and I like my vehicles much more, but that's besides the point)!
      I'm not surprised by that story. I've been at our local dealer a bit for various things, and while most of the people there are awesome, I've definitely seen a subset like this and they're always shopping the base Macan. Hopefully they don't forget any hashtags on their dealership selfies.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-02-2019 10:22 AM #56
      I think it looks best:
      -without the rear lightbar
      -in lighter colors with the black door blades

Like a lot of cars, i think they look pretty good in higher trim levels. Interestingly, I have a co-worker who I directly interact with a handful of times per year and more times than not she brings up her lease spec macan as if it's an actual porsche sports car. She loves "casually" bringing it up by name in conversation. She generally a nice person, but this typically annoys me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Sounds like you should casually talk about the Volkswagen motor in her Porsche sports car.

8. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-02-2019 10:37 AM #57
      Jalopnik had a NP/CP on one just today actually and I voted crack price. I love the way it looks, but not enough to pay a 50-100% premium over a Golf R or SQ5. Will be super interesting to see what happens to sales when they go 100% electric on them.

9. 12-02-2019 12:41 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Jalopnik had a NP/CP on one just today actually and I voted crack price. I love the way it looks, but not enough to pay a 50-100% premium over a Golf R or SQ5. Will be super interesting to see what happens to sales when they go 100% electric on them.
      I have driven the Alfa Stelvio, SQ5, Macan S and the Golf R. The media IMHO greatly exaggerates the handling superiority of the Macan S over the others. Personally I think the Alfa handles just as good if not better and the Golf R is another animal entirely.

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      12-02-2019 12:48 PM #59
      I like the exterior but would never own the vehicle. See no point in a lifted hatchback. Would own a Cayenne though.

11. 12-02-2019 12:50 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      They look good in a roofless garage!

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-02-2019 12:55 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Sounds like you should casually talk about the Volkswagen motor in her Porsche sports car.
      I'm not entirely sure if she would understand the comment. I wanted to ask her a bit more about the car, but I'm fairly certain she would not know what version she has. I would be impressed actually if she actually has a 6-cyl version.

The media IMHO greatly exaggerates the handling superiority of the Macan S over the others.
      I feel like the media great exaggerates about a lot of things in a lot of cars. It's as if they need to keep to certain messaging or in other cases provide controversial messaging to keep readers/views. Things I notice about cars never seem to get mentioned in reviews and things I don't notice seem to be what makes or breaks something. I have read all of the articles on various Tesla products and at least in the more established outlets, the focus is primarily on the acceleration and tech. But I have no sense on what it's like to drive beyond a straight line.

13. 12-02-2019 01:33 PM #62
      I'm not entirely sure if she would understand the comment. I wanted to ask her a bit more about the car, but I'm fairly certain she would not know what version she has. I would be impressed actually if she actually has a 6-cyl version.

I feel like the media great exaggerates about a lot of things in a lot of cars. It's as if they need to keep to certain messaging or in other cases provide controversial messaging to keep readers/views. Things I notice about cars never seem to get mentioned in reviews and things I don't notice seem to be what makes or breaks something. I have read all of the articles on various Tesla products and at least in the more established outlets, the focus is primarily on the acceleration and tech. But I have no sense on what it's like to drive beyond a straight line.
      I read something a while ago where it was mentioned that if you give negative reviews of certain brands they will make sure you dont go to anymore reviews events. I cant remember whom it was.

14. 12-02-2019 01:40 PM #63
      who is naming these god damn things? Macan..Taycan... its just awful! they should stick to numbers IMO.
      ah WTF now?!

15. Member
      Cars
      01 E46 325iT, 03 E39 M5, 18 F87 M2
      12-02-2019 01:43 PM #64
      I like it because it reminds of my of the original Infiniti's FX35 design.

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      12-02-2019 02:16 PM #65
      I think it looks good, as good as any CUV can anyways. There's certainly nothing about the body styling that can be knocked when comparing its competition.

As for those of you trying to compare it to a GTI. Well, I don't know what to tell you. The Macan simply outclasses it in every way. They aren't anywhere near the same league. Granted I have not driven , and would never consider, the base Macan w/ I4, I've only driven the S with the turbo 6, and I've ridden in a Turbo. Perhaps now with the newest M/AMG versions of the X3 and GLA it has some real competition, but prior to this generation the Macan was firmly head and shoulders above any other CUV in terms of performance. As an aside, does the Stelvio fourcheese have the same problems as the Guila?

A Macan S or Turbo daily with a 718 S or 911 is a variation of a perfect garage.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

17. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      12-02-2019 02:16 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_RAT_VW View Post
      who is naming these god damn things? Macan..Taycan... its just awful! they should stick to numbers IMO.
      Numbers are too cold for me. Porsche is all over the place though when it comes to their naming schemes. I like when numbers at least mean something though. Mercedes I once understood how their numerics stood for engine sizes, whereas now, I don't know what they're derived from.

18. 12-02-2019 02:19 PM #67
      What do others think?
      Oh man, this thread is so relevant to my interests, I've been itching to answer it all morning.

First, answer to your main question... the exterior design.

Overall I love it, I think it's gorgeous. Probably the best looking current Porsche after the 911. But... the refresh on the rear lights is clearly a compromise. Because they couldn't change the sheet metal they still have the bulges going up at the corners where all new Porsche clean-sheet designs are just one straight line across. At night when it's lit up it's fine. But during the day it gives it this weird 'kayak paddle' look which is not ideal. By contrast, the new rear lights on the new clean-sheet Cayenne are perfect. But this is a mid-life facelift so you get the lights going up at the edges still.

Now on to everything else being discussed in this thread...

I've been toying with buying one of these ever since 2017 when I instead opted for the Golf R. I've test driven it no less than FOUR TIMES! Including when the dealership let me take it for an entire weekend. And I'm always left feeling, "Ahhhhhhh, I want to love it, but not quite. It just doesn't do it for me."

I think it mostly comes down to I'm just not an SUV guy, even the smallest, most awesomest SUV (I had the Macan GTS for the weekend test drive.) But what also really disappointed me, as mentioned by others is the packaging. It is SMALLER inside than my Golf R! I took my rear-facing child seats straight out of the R and could not fit them into the Macan. They simply would not fit. Unless I pulled the front seats so far forward it was impossible to drive. My wife was like, "Are you ****ing kidding me?"

I still really want to get back into a Porsche and not because I'm a badge-whore as some will say, but because I love how Porsches feel and drive more than anything else. I don't get the same feeling from a BMW, MB, Volvo, Land Rover or Audi.

But the Macan just doesn't quite do it.

19. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 02:23 PM #68
      Yeah, car media has a tendency to draw conclusions from things. Overall I think it's kind of necessary to be interesting; I've seen a few amateur car comparos where they conclude "they're all good!" and it feels like such a boring cop out.

I almost didn't consider my 982 because of sooo many negative press about how the sound ruins the car. I checked one out anyway while looking at used 911s, and while the 6 definitely sounds better, it's not nearly the crisis one would think from the reviews. As always, best to check out cars in person when possible.

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      12-02-2019 02:32 PM #69
      i think it's pretty good looking. way better than the audi/vw it shares a platform with. It's nothing memorable, but it's not hideous either.
      signatures are annoying, right?

21. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 02:33 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      By contrast, the new rear lights on the new clean-sheet Cayenne are perfect. But this is a mid-life facelift so you get the lights going up at the edges still.
      I think the 'kayak paddle' is actually intentional. The tailgate is a new stamping and all the taillight plastics are new, so they could've had the bar coincident with the top of the lights. Also 982 has a different taillight shape than 981 and yet the bar isn't aligned with the top of the lights.

But yes, the rear seat room is an easy deal breaker. If only Porsche made a similar vehicle with a slightly bigger backseat? Or better yet, three? Seriously, if you haven't driven an E3 Cayenne I think you should check it out. Unlike my E2 which is a bit truckish, the E3 IMO drives better than Macan despite the size.

22. 12-02-2019 03:03 PM #71
      Compared to it's small SUV competitors, I think the Macan is much better looking. But that's accounting for the fact that the design is ultimately compromised to fit the segment they are aiming for (like most cars). And I don't think pictures do it justice, in person it looks low, squat, and mean. The horizontal taillight bar is gorgeous looking too, reminds me of the 996 C4S. The clamshell hood that goes over the lights is also a nice touch, giving the hood and fenders a very clean line. It's subtle, but once you see it, it really stands out.

I disagree with the comments about the entry level builds. I do think the Turbo and higher end builds look better (naturally), but I still think the entry level "lease special" looks great, and way more special than the entry level competitors from Audi, BMW, and.. what else?

I know this thread is about the exterior, but I was just in a brand new 4 cyl model one with some nice interior options, and I was really impressed. It reminds me of how I felt about Audi and VW interiors many years ago. That is, just a cut above the rest. If you think your VW golf interior can hold a candle to this thing you need to stop drinking the VeeDub brand cool aid. It kicks the pants of the golf variant interiors as well as the Audi Q5 and A4 interiors. While those are still very nice places to be, the Macan really feels special. It's a good reminder of how these things can flip flop. The first gen Cayenne interior was cheap feeling and looked haphazard with phalanx of buttons and triangles, and compared to the VW/Audi interiors of the time it was way behind (as was everyone). Now, Audi/VW are still very nice and feel well built (and the golf punches way above it's pay grade), but I think Porsche has leapfrogged it's corporate stablemates in a major way.

My bottom line: I really like it... for a small SUV. It's just that I would never buy a small SUV because I don't see the point. I suppose I would put it this way, if my wife insisted on a small SUV, this would be my choice hands down.

23. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-02-2019 03:18 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Yeah, car media has a tendency to draw conclusions from things. Overall I think it's kind of necessary to be interesting; I've seen a few amateur car comparos where they conclude "they're all good!" and it feels like such a boring cop out.
      I think the problem here is the amaeteur part. I haven't read EVO in a while, but I remember they were always able to compare cars without necessarily declaring a winner (or relying on those stupid useless scorecards with "Gotta Have It" correction factors). Good car journalists can compare cars without whittling it down to a ranked contest.

24. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 03:39 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I think the problem here is the amaeteur part. I haven't read EVO in a while, but I remember they were always able to compare cars without necessarily declaring a winner (or relying on those stupid useless scorecards with "Gotta Have It" correction factors). Good car journalists can compare cars without whittling it down to a ranked contest.
      Well sure, but a comparo isn't the only way to draw a conclusion.

It happens in single car reviews as well; most of time the conclusions are bad things (like the sound of the H4 in 718s), but sometimes they can be good too. In the very same reviews they often call the steering 'telepathic' or 'magical'. I mean, the steering is really good and the car obviously handles well, but calling it telepathic is trite. It's still just a car after all, and aside from a few cases such as too much throttle, trail braking, or adding steering while the car is settled at the limit, it has a normal amount of engineered-in understeer.

I guess what I'm saying is that, the best car reviewers are often also entertainers, and that can pull some objectivity. But they're not writing scientific analysis papers for journals after all.

25. 12-02-2019 03:40 PM #74
      They're hideously overpriced, and I'd rather have an S5 SB, but with the right wheels, I think they look absolutely ace.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-02-2019 03:58 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I almost didn't consider my 982 because of sooo many negative press about how the sound ruins the car. I checked one out anyway while looking at used 911s, and while the 6 definitely sounds better, it's not nearly the crisis one would think from the reviews. As always, best to check out cars in person when possible.
      I was also one of those people who was pretty critical of the 982. To some degree I still am because I haven't driven one. I will say though, I have heard a few at cars and coffee and was impressed. I like what they did with the exhaust (at least at parking lot speeds), it doesn't really sound like a typical 2.XL turbo. And certainly better than a stock f8x M car, which just sounds terrible regardless of stock or aftermarket exhaust. I'd like to take a 982 S out for a spin at some point.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast