Fourtitude.com - What does Alfa's future look like here in the US?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      11-27-2019 11:31 AM #26
      FYI: If you want to keep Alfa here, there are some incredible deals out there right now on leftover 2019s; $10k to $12K off Giulia Ti's can easily be found.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

11-27-2019 11:33 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      FYI: If you want to keep Alfa here, there are some incredible deals out there right now on leftover 2019s; $10k to $12K off Giulia Ti's can easily be found.
      My friend I referenced above told me leftover Giulia Ti Sports can be had on leases for under $400 a month.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

4. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      11-27-2019 11:50 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Nope, but they certainly have cooler fresher offerings. Even some cool electric models that actually might sell..
      Fresher, sure. Cooler? What PSA offerings are cooler than a 4C or Giulia 4 cheese?

I would hope that anyone who bought an Alfa car or franchise went in understanding the high possibility that they would pull out of the US market at any minute. By my count there are about 15 brands in the US in some kind of existential crisis and Alfa is definitely on the top of that list. There are too many brands/models on offer. Any kind of stress on the US market is gonna start plucking these brands off.

Personally I dont understand why anyone would throw their hat in the sport sedan ring these days. The F30 reigned supreme despite being worse overall than a few of its competitors, including the Giulia IMO. How do you compete against that?

5. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      11-27-2019 11:59 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      But the problem is it's not enough. I seriously hope the Tonale is a hit - right now, Alfa's fortunes in the US rely on that car being every bit as attractive and desireable as the Giulia and the Stelvio are.

My hope is they come up with a small sport sedan off that car as a bone to enthusiasts like me.
      You would want a small sport sedan on an economical transverse FWD platform over the Giulia that's already so good and not that big?

The Tonale will be important in Europe, but in the US, Compact, Mid-size and Full-size premium CUVs crush the sales of Subcompact premium CUVs, so I don't see the Tonale meaning much to the US market. IMO, they need a larger CUV and a midsize sportback or something. I see the Stelvio as being an Italian alternative to the Macan, and I'd like to see what Alfa could do with something in that Panamera, A7, AMG 4-door realm

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      11-27-2019 12:05 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      They should have sold it to VAG back when Piech wanted to buy it.
      I fear it would've been sanitized into FWD/AWD with the same corporate 2.0T and 3.0T motors.

Audi with flair.

Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      11-27-2019 12:37 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I fear it would've been sanitized into FWD/AWD with the same corporate 2.0T and 3.0T motors.

Audi with flair.
      This. I test drove a Giulia months back and was floored by the driving experience. A VWAG-Alfa would have been exactly what CostcoP says. And the joy in the Alfa is the drive; even though I've been a VW/Audi fan for years, I would hate it if the Giulia drove like a tarted up A4.

8. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      11-27-2019 12:49 PM #32
      This. I test drove a Giulia months back and was floored by the driving experience. A VWAG-Alfa would have been exactly what CostcoP says. And the joy in the Alfa is the drive; even though I've been a VW/Audi fan for years, I would hate it if the Giulia drove like a tarted up A4.
      With you completely. I really loved our B9, but was considering the Alfas because the driving experience was so different.

In the end, I wimped out (at least for now), and part of it was the far distance of the dealers from our home/work.

11-27-2019 12:57 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

Audi with flair.
      That's what they ended up with under Fiats leadership until recently anyway. And this new attempt to make Alfa Romeo into something different have turned out to be a complete disaster.

10. 11-27-2019 12:57 PM #34
      Alfa is baked and done in the US. Move on. I live in one of the most affluent parts of the US and rarely see them and there is an Alfa dealer no more than 10 miles from my house. I occasionally see the Stelvio and Giulia at my gym. But at my gym you regularly see Lambos, Ferraris and Bentleys...

A few things have killed them in my opinion:

-Questionable reliability. They haven't lived down their reputation from the past.

-Inadequate parts network. There are stories of people waiting for a month or months for a part.

-Inadequate dealer network. These are higher end cars and people expect to be treated better. FSA better wake up.

Right around the Alfa dealer by me there is Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Acura. All of these companies have DECADES of experience being an import car company in the US. Some going back 70 years at this point.

Why would anyone spend $60-70K+ on a car that has questionable reliability/sales/service when you can do the sure thing and buy from one of the companies that has been in the US for a long time?

I could very well see Alfa owners being screwed and being very difficult to get parts in the future.

Its unfortunate because they are cool cars. But whatever...

11. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      11-27-2019 12:58 PM #35
      There's a reason why its said that every petrolhead should own an Alfa, but only once. Flaky reliability, questionable build quality and stunning performance are in the DNA. Blisteringly expensive maintenance isn't an issue when the car is overall fairly reliable, something Alfa has never been.

A good friend owns a Stelvio. Loves the car. Regularly road trips it from MD to CT. He also said flat out that soon as the warranty is up, it is gone like a fart in the wind.

If Alfa and FCA wants to right the ship here in the US, new models may help but it won't fix the "Alfa experience." Do like Hyundai did to change its image- give the best warranty coverage in the segment. Stand behind the product. It will boost sales over time.

I'd argue that could be stretched to the entire FCA portfolio, too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

11-27-2019 01:01 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post

Right around the Alfa dealer by me there is Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Acura. All of these companies have DECADES of experience being an import car company in the US. Some going back 70 years at this point.
      Alfa Romeo have almost 11 decades(or 110 years) with experience in Europe yet they are seeing a bigger decline in Europe than in the USA.

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-27-2019 01:02 PM #37
      Dealer in LA is offering 22k off a QF

14. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-27-2019 01:04 PM #38

Why would anyone spend $60-70K+ on a car that has questionable reliability/sales/service when you can do the sure thing and buy from one of the companies that has been in the US for a long time?
      Well most are $40-$50k, but either way no ones paying those prices and if they are, well... there's a saying for that.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      11-27-2019 01:49 PM #39
      I was toying with the idea of getting a steal on a 2018 for a second "fun" car.

Then looked up dealer network and realize my local is now gone.

I didn't realize it was this bad for Alfa. They really are in intensive care.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#3e63f57f2d08

16. 11-27-2019 02:41 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      Alfa Romeo have almost 11 decades(or 110 years) with experience in Europe yet they are seeing a bigger decline in Europe than in the USA.
      Has Alfa produced millions of cars?

I have been to Europe many, many times and dont recall seeing to many of them even in Italy.
      Last edited by tincanman99; 11-27-2019 at 02:52 PM.

11-27-2019 03:10 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      The decline in Europe is mostly because Mito is discontinued and Giulietta is getting really old. Two vital products that FCA has decided not to bother to replace. Very questionable product decision that is going badly for Alfa at the moment and may have been a vital mistake.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-27-2019 03:15 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Dealer in LA is offering 22k off a QF
      On an 2019, or a 2018, which would account for depreciation (along with a discount)?

11-27-2019 03:47 PM #43
      Has Alfa produced millions of cars?

I have been to Europe many, many times and dont recall seeing to many of them even in Italy.
      Alfa have definitively produced million of cars through their life. They used to sell around 200.000 annually Europe during the '90s.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      The decline in Europe is mostly because Mito is discontinued and Giulietta is getting really old. Two vital products that FCA has decided not to bother to replace. Very questionable product decision that is going badly for Alfa at the moment and may have been a vital mistake.
      While that is certainly factor, even the Giulia have seen a considerable decline in sales in Europe.

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car...-romeo-giulia/

Cars
      2017 GTI
      11-27-2019 03:55 PM #44
      just a thought...

1. wait 2 years buy low mileage (4c or Gulia Quad) at rock bottom price
      2. cover it in cosmoline wait 25 years
      3. profit?
      My glass is half-full of empty

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      11-27-2019 04:22 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      just a thought...

1. wait 2 years buy low mileage (4c or Gulia Quad) at rock bottom price
      2. cover it in cosmoline wait 25 years
      3. profit?
      I am rolling on the floor.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

11-27-2019 04:36 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I personally think the roll out of Alfa has been a disaster. They needed the cars to be reliable, and instead they have had very high profile failures in the hands of journalists. My friend is a Honda junkie and has very little tolerance for reliability issues, and he just test drove a Giulia, and he got multiple warnings and failures on the test drive.

Picture of friend?

Kidding...would like to hear what he ends up with. Seems like a Honda/Acura car would likely be his choice.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      11-27-2019 04:42 PM #47
      A friend of mine just leased (I hope) a Stelvio with 2500 miles on it. Somehow he got them to cough up an extra year of warranty coverage.

He's already had to go back once because of an issue with the blinker out warning (fast blink signal indicator, but all working fine).

I really wish he had talked to me first. And I really hope he leased it.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-27-2019 04:49 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      A friend of mine just leased (I hope) a Stelvio with 2500 miles on it. Somehow he got them to cough up an extra year of warranty coverage.

He's already had to go back once because of an issue with the blinker out warning (fast blink signal indicator, but all working fine).

I really wish he had talked to me first. And I really hope he leased it.
      So FCA has a really good extended warranty plans for Alfa, and they're pretty affordable too, including for the QF. The issue is finding a dealer, as they're becoming extinct at a fast rate, and the also availability of parts seems to be challenging in some cases.

So while an extended warranty sounds good, it's a bit different in reality.

Now, if your Alfa isn't your primary car, then I suppose it's no big deal, as you can tow it to a far away dealer, and let them take their time fixing it.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      11-27-2019 04:54 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      So FCA has a really good extended warranty plans for Alfa, and they're pretty affordable too, including for the QF. The issue is finding a dealer, as they're becoming extinct at a fast rate, and the also availability of parts seems to be challenging in some cases.

So while an extended warranty sounds good, it's a bit different in reality.

Now, if your Alfa isn't your primary car, then I suppose it's no big deal, as you can tow it to a far away dealer, and let them take their time fixing it.
      It’s his daily driver. They have an older BMW his kids used to drive, so he has that when they’re not home from college.

Still if he’d asked I probably would’ve suggested an F-Pace over the Stelvio. Shrug. He seems to get bored every 3 years or so.

It’s a least nicer than the lifted, slightly bro-dozed Jeep WK he traded.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

11-27-2019 04:54 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      Picture of friend?

Kidding...would like to hear what he ends up with. Seems like a Honda/Acura car would likely be his choice.
      He's amused and slightly aroused, but he said to say you're not his type.

He currently has a Subaru STi, and a Challenger Hellcat for nicer days. The Sti is on lease and about to go back and he's running into the same problem I am - the cars he likes are all way out of the price range, and there's nothing else in-range that captures his interest.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast