Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-25-2019 06:25 PM #1
      Man does 5 years fly by fast almost as fast as the miles pile on. In December of 2014 I picked up a late 2002 996tt with 51k miles, the car was a stock low option car with a good stack of receipts ($9k in the last 6 months by the PO), the owner in his late 60's traded it in on a 750i

Work done by prior owner:
      New Factory K16 Turbos due to stuck Wastegates (old guy never driving in boost)
      Turbo Oil lines
      Check Valves
      GT2 Clutch/PP/Flywheel along with a new slave setup while in there.

The car had some paint work at some point on the hood and fenders, had a newer light on the drivers side but no reported accidents. After sending the car for PPI which came back in tip top shape other than the tires needing to be replaced I haggled with the dealer and ended at $37,500 for the car. My goal with the car was to build my own 996 GT2 with my own twist on it. I always hated black but every other car that showed up in the 6 months I was shopping had carbon or wood or was a gray interior car, but alas I rationalized that at some point I would wrap or paint it down the road, black on black was the perfect starting point.

A stock 996 Turbo is actually pretty damn boring, I had some doubts on the ride home with a friend following me in my 540i that this felt like a more stiff 2 door version of that car. Power was ok, steering was meh, brakes were good but not great. Compared to my track built MK1 Audi TT, the 6TT felt like it would beat it in a straight line at the top, but would bet its ass handed to it in the corners as it was pushy and heavy. Of course that quickly resulted in me scouring the internet for the first round of mods.

Within the next couple weeks I chased down an exhaust, some headers to port, coils, some buckets and much more aggressive pads for. While in there items were new oxygen sensors, new coils, new plugs and a complete fluid flush. Starting with coils/exhaust/GT2 Buckets and a new tune in the first couple weeks of ownership. This was a nice setup but still lacked the experience I was going for, it was loud, fast and handled pretty good but was a bit scary at times in handling. The Speedtech 3" X-pipe offered that 935 sounds which was enjoyed by many except the neighbors.

By the end of 2016 it now had additional aero, monoball full adjustable suspension that I had built and some extra power with additional cooling/exhaust work. The front lip helped the grip and my control arms finally got the handling to be almost where it needed to be, yet the steering was still annoying from the weight of the front axle resistance.

Then fast forward to today where she is RWD, bigger brakes and almost maxed out power on K16's. Wearing Factory GT2 body parts perfection has almost been achieved. Converting to rear wheel drive was one of the best things I did, the steering is now spot on, the ability to run outside the normal tires allows for big 315's on the rear and 245's on the front. Acceleration with less weight leaves a 991.2 Turbo S in the dust as the savage power delivery and grip just slingshots you to the next corner at terminal speeds.

Everyone is all about the N/A Mezger, all the hype is about how they are the drivers car and thus are easily worth the premium over their turbo brothers. Jumping into a modded 997 GT3 leaves me always waiting for the power....just cannot match that experience of the turbo! Being rear wheel drive and having well over 100hp more than the original 996 GT2, the car does demand a solid amount of respect as a driver, dialing out a lot of the sketchiness comes from the taller tires that have a little more give rather than bouncing you out of the corner.

Over the past 5 years this is what I replaced/serviced. Overall the only major issues were a vacuum leak from one of the wastegates in 2015 right after getting the car, the slave began to fail in 2017 so that was replaced, and the GT2RS intercooler failing. The 996tt offers one of the most enjoyable driving experiences with these current modifications, nimble like the 997 GT3 but with a raw savagery that leaves you grinning ear to ear. The backfires and fire balls from the exhaust at night stands your hair on end.

From an ownership standpoint the car has been very solid, having now 69,994 miles on the car it has been on many road trips to breweries to off-roading in a corn field lost. Say what you will about the headlights, but when push comes to shove the 996tt is a much better car to own long term compared to the 997tt. Parts are readily available, working on the 996 is a fairly straight forward experience with most of the work able to be done on jack stands or a small lift with basic tools.

Spring overhaul is going into 2020 is a long heavy list of tearing the entire car apart, which should seem like a walk in the park to the current home renovations that just seem to consume my soul and wallet.

Pull Motor
      Weld Coolant Fittings
      964RS Flywheel and 4.0RS Clutch/764PP
      Manthey Carbon Doors
      GT3 RS Hood
      Evoms Inlets
      Cup Car 60/40 LSD
      GT2 Trans Cooler
      Tarrett Monoball Strut Mounts
      Wheel Bearings
      Rear 350mm Brake Setup
      Zim Speed Carbon Rear Euro Bumper

Overall this is one of the ones that will never leave the garage, it is just such an awesome car with the bang for the buck factor of a reliable supercar that you can maintain yourself.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      11-25-2019 06:29 PM #2
      Wow.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      11-25-2019 06:33 PM #3
      I see you swapped out the Rennline solid engine mounts for RSS mounts later on. Thoughts?

Oh and this is a PROPER build. Nicely done.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      11-25-2019 06:42 PM #4
      I'm scared to ask what you've spent not including the purchase price.

Scared... but I also really want to know

I won't dig on you for not wanting to share though. Awesome job with all the work and it looks great though

6. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-25-2019 06:51 PM #5
      996, Turbo, RWD Conversion...this is full of excellent stuff.

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      all the diesels, and an mg
      11-25-2019 06:59 PM #6
      so awesome

had no idea people were converting these to rwd

8. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-25-2019 07:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      so awesome

Yeah it's really cool car to convert. Not that the world needs another 911 configuration, but for a while I've thought there was room for Porsche to sell a 911 Turbo 2. For a daily I like the road-going performance aspects of the Turbo models, but I'm not a huge fan of AWD and with as much motive traction as the rear-engine gives, I don't know if it's super necessary.

For a weekend/track car I'd want a GT3 RS or even GT3 Cup+Trailer, but for a daily+track car, I think a Turbo 2 would be where it's at.

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      11-26-2019 01:50 AM #8
      How do I know you own a Porsche Turbo, you dont have a price column in the spreadsheet lol.

That being said, its so cool you can do this. The 996tt is a fantastic platform.

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      11-26-2019 02:20 AM #9
      Too much car for me but I like it!

Cars
      2018 911 T
      11-26-2019 07:32 AM #10
      Excellent execution - good to see somebody enjoying a car so thoroughly!

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      11-26-2019 07:57 AM #11
      What a thing. It's inspiring to see folks do so much DIY on cars like this. I really should tear down my car and make some changes. Nicely done!

13. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      11-26-2019 09:09 AM #12
      Awesome!

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      11-26-2019 09:23 AM #13
      Very cool and thanks for posting all the details. I'll keep an eye out the next time I'm in western MA

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-26-2019 09:51 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      I see you swapped out the Rennline solid engine mounts for RSS mounts later on. Thoughts?

Oh and this is a PROPER build. Nicely done.
      The Rennline mounts were causing noise to be transmitted from the engine carrier to the knock sensors, resulting in timing being pulled and power down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I'm scared to ask what you've spent not including the purchase price.

Scared... but I also really want to know

I won't dig on you for not wanting to share though. Awesome job with all the work and it looks great though

~30k to get to this point with all the other parts that have not made it onto the car, I dont keep track of how many hours thing take to get done....so the labor cost would most likely double that bill and then some.

When I was shopping for a 996 a GT2 in similar condition would set you back around 100k, now they tend to be 100-130k depending on stories. If you want to build your own using a 996tt is the best way to go, while it will be 30-50k to build one, you will have a much faster and better handling car vs a stock 996 GT2.

Being that there were right around 300 total GT2's for North America, they are pretty damn rare as we got over 600 Carrera GT's! There were over 9,000 996 Turbos made for USA, so using them as a base gets you a hell of a lot of car for the money. Granted prices have jumped up since I bought mine by about 15-25k for a comparable car, some good deals can be had for higher mile early cars.

The 2001's suffered many more issues with gear boxes than the 2002 and up cars. Granted if you get an early 996 that does not have the pop out issue in 2nd gear it is a $1 fix with a ball bearing detent to not have the issue. However if it grinds into 2nd then there can be issues.

The GT2 factory body parts are hard to come by these days, however there are some good after market carbon items that can be sourced at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      so awesome

20 minutes and RWD

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      How do I know you own a Porsche Turbo, you dont have a price column in the spreadsheet lol.

That being said, its so cool you can do this. The 996tt is a fantastic platform.
      Thanks Shannon! Yeah after the first 5 years of Corrado ownership I tallied that up once....then said never again, it cost what it costs to get to the goal. Whenever at a financial hold pattern I just park things away and go work on other projects for some extended time.
      Last edited by TheDeckMan; 11-26-2019 at 10:59 AM.
      -Noah

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      11-26-2019 10:46 AM #15
      nice build

It's good to hear that your 996 Turbo has been mostly reliable and solid.

I have a lowly Carrera, but it's been a surprisingly reliable car and is still tight as a drum, even though it's been driven hard throughout its life. In comparison, my TT has led a much more pampered life and yet is a maintenance nightmare relative to the 996. Parts are expensive on Porsches, but they are generally high quality and seem to last a while. The 996 is also a pretty simple car for the most part, which helps with reliability.

11-26-2019 11:00 AM #16
      Awesome car! Black on black is a very classic look for these 911 Turbos. As much as I hate to clean black cars, they sure do look pretty when detailed.

I never understood the purpose of converting to RWD but your explanation helps me understand better the reasons why someone might want to, namely: better steering feel, weight savings and the ability to run non-OEM size tires without making the AWD system complain or break.

What's the deal with the GT2RS intercoolers only lasting 3 years and 9k miles?

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-26-2019 11:13 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Awesome car! Black on black is a very classic look for these 911 Turbos. As much as I hate to clean black cars, they sure do look pretty when detailed.

I never understood the purpose of converting to RWD but your explanation helps me understand better the reasons why someone might want to, namely: better steering feel, weight savings and the ability to run non-OEM size tires without making the AWD system complain or break.

What's the deal with the GT2RS intercoolers only lasting 3 years and 9k miles?

Issues with factory manufacturing, the clamp force on them is not enough and the seal will give out. Many use JB weld on the end tanks to help cure this, but it is easier to have aluminum end tanks and not go through the issues. When the IC failed it threw off the air fuels enough to cause a back fire that wrecked one of the cats

Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      nice build

It's good to hear that your 996 Turbo has been mostly reliable and solid.

I have a lowly Carrera, but it's been a surprisingly reliable car and is still tight as a drum, even though it's been driven hard throughout its life. In comparison, my TT has led a much more pampered life and yet is a maintenance nightmare relative to the 996. Parts are expensive on Porsches, but they are generally high quality and seem to last a while. The 996 is also a pretty simple car for the most part, which helps with reliability.

-Noah

19. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-26-2019 11:27 AM #18
      Thanks for the review.

If I may ask, what kind of power is it putting down? I'd like to be able to try and imagine what it's like in car.
      Instagram - efrie004

20. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      11-26-2019 11:51 AM #19
      IIRC by now most of the AWD systems basically don't work on the cars anyway. I don't remember if it's failure of the front diff clutches or what, but from what I recall it's just dead weight on the 996TT. I never got around to disconnecting mine, but it was on the list.

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-26-2019 11:53 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Thanks for the review.

If I may ask, what kind of power is it putting down? I'd like to be able to try and imagine what it's like in car.
      Est~475-490whp/550wtq at 3200lbs

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4sY-_Fg..._web_copy_link
      -Noah

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      all the diesels, and an mg
      11-26-2019 12:21 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      20 minutes and RWD

via some kind of traction system re-flash, or is it that easy to drop the front diff?

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      11-26-2019 12:36 PM #22
      I think the 996's look great and I'd love to own one! I really like the wing you put on yours, makes it look great. The RWD conversion sounds interesting, curious to read about it.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      '19 Odyssey, '19 Macan, '06 Solstice
      11-26-2019 01:29 PM #23
      Fantastic

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      11-26-2019 01:31 PM #24
      Thanks for the write-up! Cheers to the next five and more.

If I may ask, does converting to RWD involve taking out any of the front axles/switching to different knuckles?

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-26-2019 01:37 PM #25
      The RWD conversion has TCL on the edge of our seats.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast