VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rear parking lights at full intensity

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  ceese 
#1 ·
I recently picked up an 08 A3 (FSI engine)...and I just discovered that the rear parking lights are the same brightness as the brake lights. So if the lights are on and I step on the brake pedal...there isn't a change in the brightness of the lights. Only way you can tell is the third brake light will come on. With the lights off...the brake lights come on as normal. Its just that when I turn on the lights...the parking lights are the same intensity as the brake lights. The inner lights come on also.

Does anyone know why the car is doing this? Did someone mess with the coding of the taillights? I checked the bulbs and I'm coming up with a single filament bulb. #7506 for Sylvania.

Also does anyone know the configuration of the tail lights?

I'm lost here :banghead:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#2 ·
It would be hard to say for sure without access to VCDS to see how the coding has been changed, but my money is on someone put the facelift LED tail lights on that car and coded them accordingly, then probably swapped them back at some point and did not reverse the coding.

#3 · (Edited)
I do have an OBDeleven. Would you know by chance where I can look to see if any of the coding was changed? Its probably under Central Electrics somewhere.

Also do you know what light is what? Like which is the parking lights and which is the brake lights? I really don't get how they are supposed to be a brake and parking light with only a single filament bulb.:confused:

#6 ·
This definitely sounds like a coding issue. With the stock tails, you should have the surround only lit up with the lights on, and then the inner lights come on when you brake, reverse, or signal (not the same inner light, it's dependent on what you're doing).

I realize that's probably not a ton of help, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

#7 ·
With the stock tails, you should have the surround only lit up with the lights on, and then the inner lights come on when you brake, reverse, or signal (not the same inner light, it's dependent on what you're doing).
npace,

"surround only", sounds like you're describing LED (facelift) tail lights ?

abt cup has '08, pre-facelift tails ...

#10 ·
I believe there is a lights setting somewhere with options "North America" vs. "Rest of the World" (meaning European mainly).
Iirc, I might have to switch from NA to Euro when I installed my LED tail lights. So if one of the previous owners had installed LED tails, he might have switched to Euro and then forgot to switch it back to NA when putting the original tails back on ... just a thought ...

#11 ·
Someone up the thread mentioned they swapped to LED tails and then back. You might want to look for LED upgrade threads they might have the default codings listed.

#12 ·
I though the LED lights require a different harness? I’m not really interested in modding this car too much. I already have a Mk7 GTI to mod. The A3 is basically my runabout. The car we’ll be taking when we go mountain biking.

I did see an A3 tonight and all three lights on the back of the car become brighter when the brakes are applied.

Does anyone one have the coding information for the rear taillight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.