Fourtitude.com - on the hunt for 185-200 hp...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      Cars
      MK3 GTi VR6 Drivers Edition
      11-20-2019 10:07 AM #1
      Hello Folks, I have a bone stock mk3 vr6 and I'm trying to achieve somewhere near 185-200 hp, N/A.
      So far I have:
      -1.8 IAT sensor (Noticed the difference)
      -All engine and tranny mounts are BFI Solid.
      -Drivetrain bushings replaced with Prothane.
      -LSD on a stock tranny.
      What I have in mind is this:
      -Schricks 268 Cams.
      -Supertech Valve springs and retainers.
      -ECS tunning LW Pulleys
      -LW Flywheel.
      -2.9 clone Manifold.
      -Light port and polish on the head as well as intake/exhaust manifold by a professional.
      -TT Chip.
      -MK4 Metal HG
      -Still have the OEM Airbox, not sure if I should modify it or get a cone filter or something.
      -Test pipe and 2.5 complete muffler system.

My question is this:
      Would that accomplish my goal?
      What is your suggestion?
      Thank you.
      Last edited by MKIIIGTIDE; 11-20-2019 at 10:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      95' VR6 GLX Passat 87'16VT Scirocco Custom, 00'VR6 Jetta
      11-20-2019 10:25 AM #2
      Should I got 210 out of similar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I like Turbo's
      Markeysscirocco

4. Junior Member
      Cars
      11-20-2019 02:00 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by markeysscirocco View Post
      Should I got 210 out of similar!

Cool, can you post what you have done to yours?
      Any Dyno graph?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      11-20-2019 04:56 PM #4
      I made low 180s at the tire with a similar setup but 262 and stock head.
      -Paul
      1992 Corrado - ALL MOTOR Drag Project [email protected] and falling
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning

7. Junior Member
      Cars
      11-25-2019 12:44 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      I made low 180s at the tire with a similar setup but 262 and stock head.
      Any recommendations on the intake?
      I just don't want to plug a cone filter and call it a day.
      Is it okay to drill holes or make a big hole on the bottom of the airbox?

Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      11-25-2019 01:06 PM #6
      Something like the Autotech or Turn2 have worked best for me.
      -Paul

9. 12-19-2019 04:28 PM #7
      I am not sure Need_A_VR6 asked but do you have an OBD1 or OBD2? If you have an OBD1 to get a bit more air flow and better throttle response have your throttle body ported to the Euro 2.9TB size b/c that bump in the U.S. TB just messes some stuff up. When you get your 2.9L Intake Manifold makes sure the neck where the TB hooks up to your Manifold is also ported as well. If I am correct(Paul Correct me if I am wrong)when people get cloned 2.9L intake manifolds they don't see much gain b/c the neck is largely ignored. Some inexpensive mods you can do relatively easily is port and gasket match your exhaust manifold and lower intake manifold as well. I would also do mild to race motor/tranny mounts as well, but this is dependent on how serious your are with your build. Autotech262's are great Shrick 268's are expensive and net a bit more power up top. When I had my MKIII VR6 Jetta I was lucky enough to get DRC268's. I liked the DRC268's b/c they gave almost as much if not the same power as Schrick 268's but were $400 to $500 less at the time than Schrick 268's. It has been so long since I've been in the game that I have no idea if John Doherty is even in the car business anymore. If you can pick up a cheap and working pair of DRC268's I highly suggest them if not Autotech 262s will work. One of the biggest day and night mods I have ever done(it doesn't give you power but changes the power band)is when I put a 3.94 Final Drive into my VR6. I am not sure things have changed or new information has been learned about The 12v VR6 but the VR6 head is where all the problems are b/c of it low ability to flow air. Head work is the key. Proper Head work for that matter. So be careful who you have work on your head and make sure they have had experience/positive results with P&P'ing The VR6 head. Good luck and if you can get a Turn2 CAI go for it b/c they are probably hands down the best but went out of business a long time ago. When it comes to chips I am not even sure who is in the business anymore. Is GIAC even around anymore? Is United Motorsports still around? Hmmm Well as for exhaust go with a Techtonics b/c they are reliable and probably the best one out there for your level of modding. With what you plan on when it comes to your mods 185 should be easily attained now 200whp is not so easy or cheap for that matter. If our 12v VR6 heads flowed like a B16,B18, or K20 life for N/A VR6's would be much nicer but we wouldn't get that VR6 Wookie Growl either.
      Last edited by VR6DPLMT; 12-19-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Cars
      95' VR6 GLX Passat 87'16VT Scirocco Custom, 00'VR6 Jetta
      12-20-2019 06:55 AM #8
      United Motorsports is still around!

I like Turbo's
      Markeysscirocco

11. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-20-2019 09:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6DPLMT View Post
      I am not sure Need_A_VR6 asked but do you have an OBD1 or OBD2? If you have an OBD1 to get a bit more air flow and better throttle response have your throttle body ported to the Euro 2.9TB size b/c that bump in the U.S. TB just messes some stuff up. When you get your 2.9L Intake Manifold makes sure the neck where the TB hooks up to your Manifold is also ported as well. If I am correct(Paul Correct me if I am wrong)when people get cloned 2.9L intake manifolds they don't see much gain b/c the neck is largely ignored. Some inexpensive mods you can do relatively easily is port and gasket match your exhaust manifold and lower intake manifold as well. I would also do mild to race motor/tranny mounts as well, but this is dependent on how serious your are with your build. Autotech262's are great Shrick 268's are expensive and net a bit more power up top. When I had my MKIII VR6 Jetta I was lucky enough to get DRC268's. I liked the DRC268's b/c they gave almost as much if not the same power as Schrick 268's but were $400 to $500 less at the time than Schrick 268's. It has been so long since I've been in the game that I have no idea if John Doherty is even in the car business anymore. If you can pick up a cheap and working pair of DRC268's I highly suggest them if not Autotech 262s will work. One of the biggest day and night mods I have ever done(it doesn't give you power but changes the power band)is when I put a 3.94 Final Drive into my VR6. I am not sure things have changed or new information has been learned about The 12v VR6 but the VR6 head is where all the problems are b/c of it low ability to flow air. Head work is the key. Proper Head work for that matter. So be careful who you have work on your head and make sure they have had experience/positive results with P&P'ing The VR6 head. Good luck and if you can get a Turn2 CAI go for it b/c they are probably hands down the best but went out of business a long time ago. When it comes to chips I am not even sure who is in the business anymore. Is GIAC even around anymore? Is United Motorsports still around? Hmmm Well as for exhaust go with a Techtonics b/c they are reliable and probably the best one out there for your level of modding. With what you plan on when it comes to your mods 185 should be easily attained now 200whp is not so easy or cheap for that matter. If our 12v VR6 heads flowed like a B16,B18, or K20 life for N/A VR6's would be much nicer but we wouldn't get that VR6 Wookie Growl either.
      Wow, thanks for the reply.
      Very helpful one.
      Regarding the Schricks i got them from a friend, they were used lightly. and they cost me the same as a DRC set.
      Also got from him a Bully Clutch.
      My Car is OBD2.
      Ill try porting my TB and the Intake neck, same with gasket matching the exhaust side and the intake lower portion.
      Already have Engine/Tranny Mounts from BFI solids. as well as an LSD Peloquin.

12. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-20-2019 09:54 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6DPLMT View Post
      Regarding the 3.94 final drive ratio, the only thing i need is the 3.94 'Crown'? or i need the pinion changed as well?

13. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      12-20-2019 09:57 AM #11
      Do not port an obd2 tb with a stock ecu it will buck like crazy.

For 3.94 you need both the ring and pinion gears and a quite thorough transmission disassembly.
      -Paul

14. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-20-2019 10:32 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      Do not port an obd2 tb with a stock ecu it will buck like crazy.

For 3.94 you need both the ring and pinion gears and a quite thorough transmission disassembly.
      Thanks Paul.
      i just went through the tranny to add the LSD, i dont think i want to disassemble it again...

15. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      12-20-2019 02:56 PM #13
      Easier the 2nd time!
      -Paul

16. Junior Member
      Cars
      01-11-2020 11:43 PM #14
      What do you guys think of the TT downpipe piece?
      Have you seen any gains with it?

17. Junior Member
      Cars
      01-11-2020 11:49 PM #15
      What do you guys think of the TT downpipe piece?
      Have you seen any gains with it?