VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

OBD2 engine controls on different engine (hypothetical scenario)

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dustinicus 
#1 ·
Seems like the best place to put this question.

From what I understand, my 97 jetta technically only needs certain sensors to run the engine. Let's say I were to take the sensors/distributor/etc off the engine, and put them on a mazda 2.0l engine. Other than fitting the different engine control sensors, distributor, and crank trigger; is there anything that would absolutely prevent the engine from running?

I understand that there is a lot more to doing this type of thing that just bolting on some sensor, but this is more of a hypothetical question.
From what I understand about most engine control systems, this is a plausible thing that could work.

I know that ideally a standalone like mega squirt would be more suited for this type of thing, but I dont care about that so much. This is more of a question like people who put GM ignitions on a ford or mopar type of thing.

Finally, the reason I ask is because I have a 98 golf that has been partially parted out, but if you put a battery in it, it will run (smokes, knocks and eventually gets hot). The car itself isnt worth much other than the scrap. But I have the option of getting a 03 kia sportage that effectively has no working wiring in it, but good running gear. I was thinking of Frankensteining the Golf wiring and engine controls onto it so i can use at as a ******* kind of ghetto tractor type rig to putt around my property on.
Worse case scenario, I dont get it to work and the only thing I am out is a few dollars and some time, and i just scrap them anyway.

thanks,
Dustin

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, i know just finding another harness would be easiest. My thought was more of a proof of concept, and I thought it would be fun to try and make it work. I just like tinkering with things. As for the crank trigger, I was thinking of just getting it mounted to the crankshaft pulley and building a bracket. The distributor will most likely make it a non-starter.
Either way thank you for you input.

Dustin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.