Fourtitude.com - Ever Had Regrets Half Way Into a Project?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      11-17-2019 09:00 PM #1
      I did.. mainly because I completely underestimated the task, the timeline (took way longer than expected) and the huge mess.
      The wife said "you're handy right, you should be able to do this and we can save a lot of money" I said sure, but I will need some help.
      Well, the wife and kids were supposed to "help" but guess who got stuck doing 99.5% of the work?

The actual spraying didn't take long at all, but the prep work seemed endless

Last edited by Senior Member; 11-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-17-2019 09:29 PM #2
      Every year my wife says “we” should paint the cabinets white. And I say yeah, then “we” can scrub 10 times as often after “we” paint them. This has been happening since 2012.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

4. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      11-17-2019 09:41 PM #3
      Yes, when I turned my outdated kitchen into this and completely gutted my kitchen

A three month project turned into a six month ordeal. Glad I did it but might reconsider at the next house. BTW, I did 95% of the work while working and taking care of family stuff.

Try not to loose your mind Senior Member and know when to call for more help.

Cars
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      11-18-2019 03:46 AM #4
      We have cabinets just like those and my wife has been bugging me for 5 years to paint them white. I plan to do it in the spring, but will be buying new doors to avoid the prep work
      You have more patience than I do when it comes to sanding, those turned out nice.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      11-18-2019 07:56 AM #5
      Spraying is the easy/fun part, once you get the technique down, but OMG prepping stained inlay cabinet doors? Yeah... I'll choose waterboarding.

It looks good though. The work paid off.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      11-18-2019 11:57 AM #6
      The cream color is pretty nice.

Yes, I have gotten too deep into a project before. However, now I spend a lot more time on getting the demand catalogue/requirements together. A good R-Spec really does make for a good project.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      11-18-2019 01:16 PM #7
      My wife wants white cabinets. They're maple now. Shaker-style.

Initially she said we should just paint them like what they do on the HGTV shows... I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.

It'd be a big summer project because it's a domino project. New paint leads to new countertops, new farmhouse sink, new island top, and while we're doing all this, might as well do new floors, too.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      11-18-2019 01:28 PM #8
      Looks good.

But our old house needed this, plus some siding, foundation work, new HVAC and electrical updates.

We sold it.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      11-18-2019 01:30 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.
      If the interiors are the light finish, and in good shape, you can use a Foam Roller for the Bases and fronts. You can typically roll the face without having to mask anything else, and it looks must better than using a brush.

If you have to paint the interiors, you have to put shelf liners in, because the paint will stick to anything you put in there.

11. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      11-18-2019 01:35 PM #10
      my rule is I will do most projects if I have two of them (bathrooms/bedrooms/LR's) but only one kitchen meant it was time to pay someone. It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho

Mrs Mud one day after watching HGTV. "instead of buying a china hutch all we need to do is buy a bookcase and put doors on it"
      Last edited by Strange Mud; 11-18-2019 at 01:38 PM.
      My glass is half-full of empty

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      11-18-2019 02:47 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      If the interiors are the light finish, and in good shape, you can use a Foam Roller for the Bases and fronts. You can typically roll the face without having to mask anything else, and it looks must better than using a brush.

If you have to paint the interiors, you have to put shelf liners in, because the paint will stick to anything you put in there.
      We have a light finish interior, so that's the only reason why I'll consider painting the cabinets. My sister is basically Martha Vila, and she did their kitchen without spraying it. It looked good from afar, but up close it did not look "factory." At minimum, I would have to spray the doors and drawer fronts.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

13. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      11-18-2019 02:48 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      my rule is I will do most projects if I have two of them (bathrooms/bedrooms/LR's) but only one kitchen meant it was time to pay someone. It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho

Mrs Mud one day after watching HGTV. "instead of buying a china hutch all we need to do is buy a bookcase and put doors on it"
      IKEA has a solution for that.

14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-18-2019 03:02 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Looks good.

But our old house needed this, plus some siding, foundation work, new HVAC and electrical updates.

We sold it.
      You did the right thing.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      11-18-2019 03:03 PM #14
      As a fellow man with painted white kitchen cupboards, I feel your pain.

Sidenote: Don't avoid it and then allow your wife and mother in-law to spend a Saturday pulling all of the cupboards apart only to come home from working Saturday til 4pm to a mess...

I ended up finishing all the painting and they had ****ed up the majority of the hinges etc when pulling them apart. Total PITA.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      11-18-2019 03:05 PM #15
      I would have to spray the doors and drawer fronts.
      Spraying the Doors and Drawer-fronts is a given. Too many nooks and crannies for anything else to look right.

11-18-2019 03:54 PM #16

Initially she said we should just paint them like what they do on the HGTV shows... I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.

It'd be a big summer project because it's a domino project. New paint leads to new countertops, new farmhouse sink, new island top, and while we're doing all this, might as well do new floors, too.
      You can try to brush the cabinet bases but you need to hit it with a foam roller to smooth it out.

My neighbor got a near-factory looking finish on his by using a HVLP electric sprayer from amazon, and he still had to hit a few drips with a roller and then sand and touchup spray. Doors and drawers have to be sprayed unless you want a brush finish.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

18. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      11-18-2019 04:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      You can try to brush the cabinet bases but you need to hit it with a foam roller to smooth it out.

My neighbor got a near-factory looking finish on his by using a HVLP electric sprayer from amazon, and he still had to hit a few drips with a roller and then sand and touchup spray. Doors and drawers have to be sprayed unless you want a brush finish.
      i just wrote brush to not be confused with spray. brush/roller/foam/whatever. Spray is the best way to do it, but not as easy.

the leveling agents in the paint don't work as well as they advertise, from what I've heard.

11-18-2019 05:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has been happening since 2012.
      I bought the new hardware 2 years ago and every time I wanted to start the project something else came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      A three month project turned into a six month ordeal.
      I thought this would take me 3 weeks max, It took 6, including one week where I didn't do anything due to being sick after I took the flue shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      We have cabinets just like those and my wife has been bugging me for 5 years to paint them white. I plan to do it in the spring, but will be buying new doors to avoid the prep work
      You have more patience than I do when it comes to sanding, those turned out nice.
      Most new doors are pressboard garbage, that's why we decided to paint instead of replaceing.

Spraying is the easy/fun part, once you get the technique down, but OMG prepping stained inlay cabinet doors? Yeah... I'll choose waterboarding.

It looks good though. The work paid off.
      I agree with the waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The cream color is pretty nice.
      Thanks

HGTV shows make everything look so easy. As for the domino project, the flooring guy just finished measuring for an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Looks good.
      We sold it.
      Thanks, but selling is not an option at this point, at least not yet. We are in a good school area and my youngest has 2+ years of high school to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho
      It's always more, regardless of how you calculate. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      As a fellow man with painted white kitchen cupboards, I feel your pain.

Sidenote: Don't avoid it and then allow your wife and mother in-law to spend a Saturday pulling all of the cupboards apart only to come home from working Saturday til 4pm to a mess...

I ended up finishing all the painting and they had ****ed up the majority of the hinges etc when pulling them apart. Total PITA.
      Both boys ran away from helping with 100+ excuses, my oldest said "my time is too valuable to do stuff like that" my wife and daughter helped with TSP/tack-cloth prep.

Spraying the Doors and Drawer-fronts is a given. Too many nooks and crannies for anything else to look right.
      HPLV spraying was given, since I also sprayed the inside of the cabinets, inside/side of the drawers too.

11-18-2019 05:58 PM #19
      Did popcorn ceiling removal a couple weeks ago. Had regrets after room 1. Tore up the drywall pretty good... I hate that crap.

Cars
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      11-18-2019 07:47 PM #20
      We paid someone to do ours. He came highly recommended and we hadn't even moved in to the house yet. Dude did an APPALLING job, charged us $1100 and has since totally disappeared and won't answer . Didn't sand anything, claimed the primer he was using didn't require sanding to adhere well. Didn't tape ANYTHING, there's paint marks on the walls, horrible unsmooth lines and worst, didn't even fully pull the drawers put so under most of the drawers, it's still primer. I wish I had done it myself at this point because I now have a 10X bigger project.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      11-19-2019 01:23 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Did popcorn ceiling removal a couple weeks ago. Had regrets after room 1. Tore up the drywall pretty good... I hate that crap.
      Its a 5 minute job IF ceiling has never been painted before!

My last house has been a regret. Though I do it for profit, kept me away from making money which was guaranteed as I never thought I'd be that busy. Now the house is on the market and no idea how much money I will make.

11-19-2019 03:16 AM #22
      This summer we had a freak wind storm that knocked down my fence, and gate.

After a few outrageous quotes from contractors we decided to do it ourselves. My shoulder was all jacked at the time.

One thing led to another, and the scope changed from 2 fence posts to a complete overhaul of our area with 100 feet of wood fence panels, jackhammers, 2 man augers, missing prints from the gas company, endless runs for more dirt. In the end we tripled the highest estimate.

Worth it for sure, long run, but torpedoed my budget this year that I am trying to cut back on extravagances.

Next year we are tearing down our whole laundry area and rebuilding it from scratch. Should be fun.
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 11-19-2019 at 03:30 AM.

11-19-2019 12:49 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      Its a 5 minute job IF ceiling has never been painted before!

My last house has been a regret. Though I do it for profit, kept me away from making money which was guaranteed as I never thought I'd be that busy. Now the house is on the market and no idea how much money I will make.
      Yeah, the bits with the least coats of paint were the easiest. It was unfortunately painted over with gloss paint and it was pretty thick.

Cars
      2011 Golf R-line, 1990 Golf Country TDI, 2012 Touareg TDI Exec
      11-19-2019 03:27 PM #24
      Home project? Nope.

But I still own a barely running Golf Country TDI
      because F**khole, Canada isn't a real town.

26. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      11-19-2019 04:02 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast