Fourtitude.com - Input on $27.5k Sports Cars (911, Cayman S, M3, Z4 M Coupe...)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2013 GTI
      11-17-2019 06:30 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      FWIW motor mounts are one of the easiest DIY jobs on a 99X 911.
      Thank you, good to know for sure.

It’s the 8 previous owners and no maintenance history that’s keeping me from that one. And the fact that they’re both on BHPH lots.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      11-18-2019 02:21 AM #177
      Sad that the 40th car was so beaten on in the last 20k miles.

Cars Dawydiak actually has a 70k mile 996 in their inventory currently for the same asking price as the ex-Dawydiak car at the BHPH lot, $22.9k. I'd imagine this one is mint given the quality of their inventory.

DESCRIPTIONThis low mileage 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe (996) is a California car in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. Other than 2 small rock chips on the front bumper the Artic Silver Metallic paint is absent any noticeable imperfections. The black interior is very well kept and clearly shows the previous owners treated this 911 with the utmost respect. No rips, punctures, or tears. The only modification to the entire car is the GT3 center consul delete which gives the cabin a more spacious feel. (Original trim included).

This 911 started its life in San Diego where it was serviced by Porsche of San Diego until 2012. It then made its way to Northern California in 2013. The most recent local services were performed by German Motor Works (San Carlos) and High Performance House (Redwood City). The 320hp 3.6L flat six combined with an excellent 6-speed manual transmission makes for a very pure Porsche driving experience. From behind the wheel every aspect of this 911 feels tight and right.

Options include: 6-spd manual, full leather, premium audio, power seats, GT3 center consul delete-(original trim included), Alpine audio unit, 18 two piece OEM wheels,

If you prefer different sytle wheels we have a set of (replica) 996 5-spoke sport wheels with brand new tires that can swapped for the factory wheels free of charge. (see last picture)

Car comes complete with service records, owners books, 3 keys, tool kit, wheel lock key, spare tire and a clean Carfax history.
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd...014406739.html

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

4. Junior Member
      Cars
      Greyvdub since 2005; '18 Stelvio Sport, '14 Abarth, '16 4C Spider, '99 M-Coupe
      12-06-2019 02:34 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by kidshorty View Post
      This was me at your age, and I picked up a 2008 TT 3.2 6MT. It's been a great car, and I can even use the rear seats in a pinch for the kids who are 7 and 10. Not comfy, but it gets the job done if I have to plus I still have a Jetta.

I find myself looking toward a Cayman and F-Type in the next year. Not sure if the Jag is on your radar.

Cayman always a good choice.

Cars
      '94 FD RX-7
      12-06-2019 03:14 PM #179
      I'll step out of line here since I don't ride the Porsche shaft. Why not an FD RX-7? It is a more affordable car over time that is appreciating and still has lots of aftermarket support. There's one on BaT right now but I'd suggest buying something listed on RX7Club or from a private party. Get a '94+ car that has the best looking black or red interior you can find.
      https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-mazda-rx-7-35/

6. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      12-06-2019 03:58 PM #180
      RX-7 sounded like a reliability nightmare when it was new, as a 25 year old car I'd think it would be absolutely terrifying to own.

Now that said, I had heard way back that there was a good set of mods that could make an RX-7 semi reliable (real temp gauge, upgraded rad, single turbo swap) but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Still think the FD3S RX-7 is one of the top 5 best looking cars of the last 40 years.

If I was buying a Japanese sports car I'd rather have the RHD SW20 GT-S that's on BAT right now.

Cars
      '94 FD RX-7
      12-06-2019 04:10 PM #181
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      RX-7 sounded like a reliability nightmare when it was new, as a 25 year old car I'd think it would be absolutely terrifying to own.

Now that said, I had heard way back that there was a good set of mods that could make an RX-7 semi reliable (real temp gauge, upgraded rad, single turbo swap) but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Still think the FD3S RX-7 is one of the top 5 best looking cars of the last 40 years.

If I was buying a Japanese sports car I'd rather have the RHD SW20 GT-S that's on BAT right now.
      Keyword: "Sounded". It's the same stigma as IMS bearings and other "systemic" Porsche cooling issues, they require an owner with awareness and not ignorance.

Basic maintenance and fluid changes are all they needed or need to run in stock form for a long time, minor reliability mods (coolant thermo switch, metal AST, catless downpipe, and a Power FC) would make them last even longer. Turning up the boost without proper fuel and tuning is where people had problems and started detonating engines.

8. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      12-06-2019 04:56 PM #182
      Even with being mindful of those things I thought the tip seals would be done by 100,000km? I've also read the RX-8 horror stories of flooded engine when cars were started and turned off shortly after. One owner said his car was never the same after his wife moved it from one side of the driveway to another.

9. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      12-06-2019 05:08 PM #183
      I'd love an FD. I still don't feel like I can afford one. When I had a 25k budget for a car I considered the FD but its fuel mileage made it a nonstarter for a daily. I did really enjoy driving the one I finally got to drive. Too bad they are even harder to find in good shape at a non crazy price over here. Most that I found when I looked again here before getting the M2 were JDM and I'm not bout it bout it enough to RHD my daily driver.

10. Member
      Cars
      2013 GTI
      12-07-2019 12:01 AM #184
      I don’t know about riding the Porsche shaft, but other than that thanks for the comments and bringing this back up.

The search continues and has not strayed much from the two main suspects: an e92 M3 and a 996.

However, it’s proving much more difficult to find one that I want to buy. Lots of hope here locally and on BaT, but can’t seem to come to an agreement on price and consistently outbid. Many conversations with cars within a couple hundred miles, but always sell before I can find a shop to PPI. An M3 I should have jumped on, but sold by the time of thought it was a winner. It’s damn near impossible to find a nice 996 that isn’t silver. Who knew.

Gonna have to pass on the RX-7.

I am beginning to look at Audi TT’s and begrudgingly even starting to look at M235i’s...

And it’s become somewhat of an addiction. My eyeballs hurt from the countless hours I spent scouring the internet for possible cars.
      Last edited by WRX2GTi; 12-07-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      12-07-2019 12:48 AM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by WRX2GTi View Post
      And it’s become somewhat of an addiction. My eyeballs hurt from the countless hours I spent scouring the internet for possible cars.
      Make no mistake: it is a sickness experienced by many. Right one will pop up soon enough.

12. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-07-2019 01:01 AM #186
      I am beginning to look at Audi TT’s and begrudgingly even starting to look at M235i’s...
      I wouldn't begrudge M235i's...those are arguably a better performance value than many of the things you're looking at here. Our M240i feels like less of an occasion than our Cayman, but I definitely wouldn't say we have less fun in it. In many ways it feels more "naughty" if that makes sense. I think your budget could swing an M240i though--the B58 is a gem and might make it less of a compromise for you.

The TT I might begrudge though. It will be fast, sporty, and have the sense of occasion, but it will drive more like the cars in your past and less like the others you're looking at here. Maybe that's what you want--and if so there's not anything wrong with that--but I get the sense you're looking to tackle something rear-biased here.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh

Make no mistake: it is a sickness experienced by many. Right one will pop up soon enough.
      Is it a sickness if I enjoy it?

13. Member
      Cars
      MK VI Jetta GLI, MKV GTI
      12-07-2019 11:58 AM #187

What do you think I am doing right now? Its Sat morning and I've been online since 6:30 AM lol. Oh yeah, and I have a new car that's not even 2 years old.
      Good luck finding the right one.

14. Member
      Cars
      2013 GTI
      12-07-2019 12:46 PM #188
      Thanks again for the words of encouragement everyone.

I think I’m going to have to at least take an M235/40i for a test drive.

15. Member
      Cars
      E300/981/912
      12-07-2019 01:31 PM #189
      Best $26k I’ve ever spent. Base 2.7 manual with some goodies and full service history. It has 70k miles but looks and drives like a 30k mile car. I just sold my manual 991.2 and this car is almost twice the fun at 1/3 the cost.

The first week I had it I took it out to my favorite twisties every night after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      12-07-2019 02:33 PM #190
      In for an update.
      Also for a quick stroll down memory lane a decade ago I was in a very similar situation as OP. I was 25, had a similar budget, similar requirements, and even looked at some of the same cars mentioned itt. I ended up shelving everything modern and bought a 1963 Porsche 356 for $27K. It's been the single best purchase decision I've made in my life both from an enjoyment, longevity, emotional, and financial perspective. Here's the thread which is due for a 10 year update next month..

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ught-a-porsche

Now while I'm not using this to suggest you buy a 356, I am suggesting you consider the last 50 years of great sports cars and perhaps find something you like. What you'll end up with something that doesn't have the fastest lap time round the 'Ring but will offer you something different to look at, a more involved/better driving experience, your car might actually appreciate vs depreciate, easier to work on, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

17. 12-07-2019 07:40 PM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronan1 View Post
      Best $26k I’ve ever spent. Base 2.7 manual with some goodies and full service history. It has 70k miles but looks and drives like a 30k mile car. I just sold my manual 991.2 and this car is almost twice the fun at 1/3 the cost.

The first week I had it I took it out to my favorite twisties every night after work.

I'm planning on picking up a base 2.7 981 soon as a weekend play car for my wife and I. She dailies an SUV and me the GTI, but we miss our old 996 and 986. A 981 should fill the those shoes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

18. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      12-08-2019 11:25 AM #192
      Cayman. Base is plenty. S is nice, too, but not required for fun. I wrote blog post a couple years ago titled:

"Cayman S: the only car you'll ever need"

And it still holds true. It does everything well. As I said in that post I've used it for long road trips, fishing trips, camping, back road excursions, daily commuting, grocery store runs, auto crossing, Time Trials, and all kinds of track days with the SCCA, NASA, Trackmasters, and Hooked on Driving.

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-09-2019 07:14 PM #193

You bought that boxster for $26k? 981 are that cheap now? Wow

20. Member
      Cars
      E300/981/912
      12-09-2019 11:48 PM #194
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Yes indeed and it was at a Nissan dealer... The guy who traded it in needed an SUV for work so the Boxster had to go.

I’m assuming the trade in value couldn’t have been that much less. Two owner car, managed to get all the service records since 8k miles and a full frontal clear bra and other parts of the car have a clear wrap.

For the money it’s hard to beat!

Last edited by Ronan1; 12-09-2019 at 11:53 PM.

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-10-2019 11:44 AM #195
      Yes indeed and it was at a Nissan dealer... The guy who traded it in needed an SUV for work so the Boxster had to go.

I’m assuming the trade in value couldn’t have been that much less. Two owner car, managed to get all the service records since 8k miles and a full frontal clear bra and other parts of the car have a clear wrap.

For the money it’s hard to beat!

I need to start looking

22. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      12-10-2019 04:59 PM #196
      2005 Carrera S, 68K on clock, $30K, located in Half Moon Bay.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...035718518.html

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      all the diesels, and an mg
      12-10-2019 05:04 PM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      In for an update.
      Also for a quick stroll down memory lane a decade ago I was in a very similar situation as OP. I was 25, had a similar budget, similar requirements, and even looked at some of the same cars mentioned itt. I ended up shelving everything modern and bought a 1963 Porsche 356 for $27K. It's been the single best purchase decision I've made in my life both from an enjoyment, longevity, emotional, and financial perspective. Here's the thread which is due for a 10 year update next month..

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ught-a-porsche

Now while I'm not using this to suggest you buy a 356, I am suggesting you consider the last 50 years of great sports cars and perhaps find something you like. What you'll end up with something that doesn't have the fastest lap time round the 'Ring but will offer you something different to look at, a more involved/better driving experience, your car might actually appreciate vs depreciate, easier to work on, etc.
      all of this ^^

i think i eluded to something similar earlier in the thread so im not sure if it got commented on again, but i think its hard to go wrong going old for that budget. some neat stuff out there

24. 12-10-2019 05:27 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      all of this ^^

i think i eluded to something similar earlier in the thread so im not sure if it got commented on again, but i think its hard to go wrong going old for that budget. some neat stuff out there
      ^^ also agree. Not as vintage but I passed on an NSX for a much newer 996 and, well, yeah. Y'all can laugh, it's ok.

If I had grabbed a 964, that NSX, or maybe an Esprit I'd probably still have that car instead of having cycling through 4 toys since the 996.

I am thinking about going much older if I get a second car in a few years. Like a Lancia Fulvia or a 928

25. Member
      Cars
      01 911 Turbo
      12-10-2019 09:53 PM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      ^^ also agree. Not as vintage but I passed on an NSX for a much newer 996 and, well, yeah. Y'all can laugh, it's ok.

If I had grabbed a 964, that NSX, or maybe an Esprit I'd probably still have that car instead of having cycling through 4 toys since the 996.

I am thinking about going much older if I get a second car in a few years. Like a Lancia Fulvia or a 928
      Which 996?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      12-10-2019 10:10 PM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      A manual car with Sport Chrono... He stole that at $26k, 70k miles or not.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast