Fourtitude.com - Snow tires on the M3. Worth it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      MT: 244'80 V70R'07 340x'16
      11-06-2019 09:09 PM #51
      I'll also sing to the choir: get a dedicated set of snow tires & wheels. You'll recoup part of the purchase cost upon selling them and it is a lot cheaper than buying another car. Moreover, the idea of owning an M3 and driving a beater instead for half a year just doesn't make sense. The whole idea of a beater car doesn't make sense to me.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Cars
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      11-07-2019 03:03 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
      I'll also sing to the choir: get a dedicated set of snow tires & wheels. You'll recoup part of the purchase cost upon selling them and it is a lot cheaper than buying another car. Moreover, the idea of owning an M3 and driving a beater instead for half a year just doesn't make sense. The whole idea of a beater car doesn't make sense to me.
      Meh, it depends on your definition of 'beater'. In my case, it's a 58k mile Tiguan.

And it's not just for winter: hauling stuff for projects, driving to work meetings where an F80 is a bit ostentatious, there are lots of uses for another car.
      Last edited by Abe Froman; 11-07-2019 at 03:06 AM.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      11-07-2019 03:45 AM #53
      Well probably unhelpful advice:

I had snow tires on my Mustang GT and it went fine. Altimax Arctics. Totally different car and it was stock height but I could push snow with the bumper and did that a few times with it. it was pretty unstoppable and actually pretty fun. the trac-loc axle helped a lot with that, as did the manual transmission for controlled launches.

I say go for it but try to get smaller size if that's going to save you any money. I'm assuming standard 3-series wheels won't fit over the brakes?
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

Cars
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      11-07-2019 05:58 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      If it's got LSD you don't need snow tires.
      Yeah, true, an LSD helps a so much with stopping and steering, too.

Cars
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-07-2019 07:07 AM #55
      I'd go for the snows as well as a set of smaller wheels to mount them on. Should allow for more sidewall to some extent.

I remember when I had my first 20th moving out to MT. The first storm we had was about 2-3" of snow. With the stock Michelin Pilot Sports I could barely move out of my parking space. Threw on a dedicated set of snows on steelies and literally was able to climb mountains in that car.

I will always have my snows mounted on a second set of wheels.

- Cheaper to do changeovers buy about half (more than that because I do them myself) but without wheels a changeover is about $80 with wheels it is half that.
      - I can do my changeover at my convenience, no getting to the tire store two hours before opening to wait in line.
      - Less damage to wheels with tires not being swapped off of them every 6 months.
      - Run a smaller wheel with more sidewall to help with pothole damage.

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      11-07-2019 01:03 PM #56
      We get small amounts of snow(usually 6-12" at a time), and with WS80s my car is so much fun in the snow. Mine is also RWD, with an LSD and 50/50 weigh distribution.

If you can get 18" snow tires/wheels, do it. The cost of another car will be much more than a set of tires(and has been pointed out, it will save wear on your summer setup), with insurance, maintenance, wear and tear, depreciation and tires too.

Cars
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-07-2019 01:47 PM #57
      I vote snows on M3.

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Yeah, true, an LSD helps a so much with stopping and steering, too.
      It's right in the name. Lowers Stopping Distance.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Cars
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      11-07-2019 02:03 PM #58
      Low doesn’t matter, all my winter cars have been low for the last 25 years, I’ve been “hung” up once in thick slushy unplowed snow. My GolfR plowed right through this after I took the picture.

11-07-2019 02:27 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      Hello all,

For the first time in years, I have no "winter car". The Rabbit GTi was suppose to be that, but it had some issues and VW bought it back. Anyway, that leaves me with my 1998 M3, which sits in the garage and does not go out in rain let alone snow. That leaves me with my 2018 M3 which is my daily driver. Honestly, with the 20 inch wheels and competition package, its not the best daily for NYC roads, but that's another thread. I'm trying to figure out if snow tires are worth the $1800 tirerack wants, or will the car be just as stuck either way. I've entertained the idea of a beater, but frankly, $2k doesn't buy you much around here, and then there is insurance and upkeep... so that's not happening. Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks,
      Danny
      OH Don't get me started. Follow my M3 thread. I bought wheels/tires for my M3, Michelin Alpin's. NYC and even long island has their roads plowed to blacktop. do NOT use snow tires on blacktop. All Seasons are where its at. Conti-Extreme Contact DWS 06. thats what I outfitted on my car. in fact. just had them put back on Tuesday.

Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed Manual Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed Manual | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed Manual | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed Manual | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed Manual | 2001 Honda Accord

Cars
      2018 M3, 1998 M3 Convertible, 2009 GTI
      11-07-2019 02:33 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I'd go for the snows as well as a set of smaller wheels to mount them on. Should allow for more sidewall to some extent.

I remember when I had my first 20th moving out to MT. The first storm we had was about 2-3" of snow. With the stock Michelin Pilot Sports I could barely move out of my parking space. Threw on a dedicated set of snows on steelies and literally was able to climb mountains in that car.

I will always have my snows mounted on a second set of wheels.

- Cheaper to do changeovers buy about half (more than that because I do them myself) but without wheels a changeover is about $80 with wheels it is half that.
      - I can do my changeover at my convenience, no getting to the tire store two hours before opening to wait in line.
      - Less damage to wheels with tires not being swapped off of them every 6 months.
      - Run a smaller wheel with more sidewall to help with pothole damage.
      The one I was looking at was 18 inch. Nothing smaller will fit the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      We get small amounts of snow(usually 6-12" at a time), and with WS80s my car is so much fun in the snow. Mine is also RWD, with an LSD and 50/50 weigh distribution.

If you can get 18" snow tires/wheels, do it. The cost of another car will be much more than a set of tires(and has been pointed out, it will save wear on your summer setup), with insurance, maintenance, wear and tear, depreciation and tires too.
      between your car and the various SS's posted, I'm pretty convinced with the right tires I *should* be alright, or at least I'll have interesting stories to tell

Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I vote snows on M3.

Learn something every day... I was always under the impression that it stands for Lysergic Acid Diethylamide

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderips View Post
      Low doesn’t matter, all my winter cars have been low for the last 25 years, I’ve been “hung” up once in thick slushy unplowed snow. My GolfR plowed right through this after I took the picture.
      You do know the M3 is not awd, yes? But good for you, I suppose

11-07-2019 02:38 PM #61
      The one I was looking at was 18 inch. Nothing smaller will fit the brakes.

between your car and the various SS's posted, I'm pretty convinced with the right tires I *should* be alright, or at least I'll have interesting stories to tell

Learn something every day... I was always under the impression that it stands for Lysergic Acid Diethylamide

You do know the M3 is not awd, yes? But good for you, I suppose
      18"s will NOT CLEAR THE BRAKES!!!!! DON'T DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      And.... need to reorder those tires. My parts manager is gonna be pissed. The 18”s don’t clear the brake calipers in the front. Offset and everything should clear them but they miss by millimeters.... I’m in trouble tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed Manual Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed Manual | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed Manual | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed Manual | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed Manual | 2001 Honda Accord

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-07-2019 02:43 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post

This guy gets it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      84 GTI, 07 Civic, 13 Tiguan
      11-07-2019 02:44 PM #63
      I have little experience with high powered vehicles, but I have years and years of experience in Canadian winters with snow, ice, sleet etc... I have only ever run either Nokians, Gislaveds or Semperits. I find that they are equivalent or better than Blizzaks or Toyos, but they wear much longer. I can easily get 4 winters out of either of them without a great reduction in traction.

I will never drive in a car in the winter in areas that regularly get snow and hover or go below freezing without winter tires. I am actually required by law to have them here. Tires are no longer " snow" tires. They are cold weather tires. Designed to remain resilient and soft to grip on cold surfaces...even dry ones. There is a reason that they freeze hockey pucks and keep them in a freezer during games. It reduces the friction. Same goes for AS tires and even worse on high performance summers.

There are few die hard Car guys in the media and I truly respect and admire for their passion and common sense approach to cars. Appreciating how fun and cool they are while having a clear respect for the danger that car can pose when not used correctly. Harry Metcalf is one of those guys. He takes all of his cars on trips, he drives them and uses them as meant to be. On his YT channel Harry Garage, he has done 2 trips in high powered Jags he owns. XJR and the SVO Project 8. Both times in the winter and both times had snows put on. If he does it just for a road trip, then I would tend to think that it must be worth it. Of course, he can also afford it without thinking, but I'm certain the thought that if it saves one fender bender, they've paid for themselves.

Cars
      11-07-2019 02:45 PM #64

Well then, 19s it is. Off to tirerack I go

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-07-2019 02:46 PM #65

If TR shows an 18" option, they will fit.

17. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      11-07-2019 02:49 PM #66
      The full answer is that not all 18s will fit. Some will, others will not. Tire Rack is very conservative and if they say that a particular 18 will fit then it'll definitely work.

18. 11-07-2019 02:54 PM #67

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      If TR shows an 18" option, they will fit.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      The full answer is that not all 18s will fit. Some will, others will not. Tire Rack is very conservative and if they say that a particular 18 will fit then it'll definitely work.
      And this.

Not all 18's will fit the SS either. I ended up swapping to G8 GXP fitment front pads that don't have the larger anti-squeal dampers - that got me a fair bit of clearance.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

19. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-07-2019 03:38 PM #68
      Pretty sure there was a factory 18" wheel option on the earlier year F80s.

20. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Cars
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      11-07-2019 03:51 PM #69

He's wrong.

If 18s don't clear the brakes, then why is the M3 available with 18s as standard?

You just need to get the right 18s. There's a whole thread about them.

I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

21. 11-07-2019 04:03 PM #70
      Hello all,

For the first time in years, I have no "winter car". The Rabbit GTi was suppose to be that, but it had some issues and VW bought it back. Anyway, that leaves me with my 1998 M3, which sits in the garage and does not go out in rain let alone snow. That leaves me with my 2018 M3 which is my daily driver. Honestly, with the 20 inch wheels and competition package, its not the best daily for NYC roads, but that's another thread. I'm trying to figure out if snow tires are worth the $1800 tirerack wants, or will the car be just as stuck either way. I've entertained the idea of a beater, but frankly, $2k doesn't buy you much around here, and then there is insurance and upkeep... so that's not happening. Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks,
      Danny
      I don't think you have that much more than snow me in Philly, but I had no issues getting around in a NA Miata with snow tires and 100 lbs. of sand in the trunk. Open diff, no traction control, just my own driving skill to keep it moving. The only time it got dicey was when I was stuck in traffic on a hill that was a bit icy- that was hard, but I still didn't get stuck and managed to get moving again.

Your M3 has limited slip (which helps a lot), snow(winter) tires will help a lot and will keep you unstuck unless you get into deep snow. I'd downsize as far as your brakes will allow and go as narrow as possible on the wheel and tire size.

Cars
      11-07-2019 04:08 PM #71
      Good to know about the 18s being able to fit, because the 19s are over $2200 and have very limited tire choices

23. Member
      Cars
      2011 335i, 08 GTI (sold)
      11-07-2019 04:20 PM #72
      I run a set of Blizzak WS80's on my RWD 335i with an open rear diff and Dinan tune. It's a bit higher compared to your M3 but I've taken it on many ski trips through fairly gnarly conditions in the northeast without any real issues. Steep hills are about the only thing I can't get through in icy conditions. It's definitely not pointless if you plan on driving in the snow.

24. 11-07-2019 04:26 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Well you're not going to be going anywhere in 6" of loose, fluffy snow. Or maybe not even up little hills on 1" of packed snow - But if you even want to go anywhere when roads are cleared, or with a light dusting, or possible patches of ice, you want a winter setup.
      I don't agree with this at all- I had no problem with 4-6" of snow with my NA Miata on snows, I don't see much worse it would be with an M3, considering it's far heavier.

25. 11-07-2019 04:29 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      If it's got LSD you don't need snow tires.
      That's just plain bad advice- summer tires don't work in sub 40F conditions. I've BTDT, as have many other people. Add moisture and you're talking outright dangerous to drive on summers.

That's along the same lines of advice as "If you have AWD, you don't need winter tires." 4x0=0, 2x0=0. Net result is zero traction. AWD works for acceleration, does not help for cornering or braking, you need proper tires that work for the conditions.

26. 11-07-2019 04:30 PM #75
      Your problem won't be the snow.
      My dad has been driving a 2009 cts-v in Toronto winters for 10 years now. No problems with the snow. But when the slush that snow plows pile in front of driveways freezes into a solid block of ice then being the lowest car will do damage to your front spoiler. I don't know what an M3 is like but my dad has given up on repairing his cts-v spoiler.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast