Fourtitude.com - Snow tires on the M3. Worth it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2018 M3
      11-06-2019 01:25 PM #1
      Hello all,

For the first time in years, I have no "winter car". The Rabbit GTi was suppose to be that, but it had some issues and VW bought it back. Anyway, that leaves me with my 1998 M3, which sits in the garage and does not go out in rain let alone snow. That leaves me with my 2018 M3 which is my daily driver. Honestly, with the 20 inch wheels and competition package, its not the best daily for NYC roads, but that's another thread. I'm trying to figure out if snow tires are worth the $1800 tirerack wants, or will the car be just as stuck either way. I've entertained the idea of a beater, but frankly, $2k doesn't buy you much around here, and then there is insurance and upkeep... so that's not happening. Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks,
      Danny

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      11-06-2019 01:27 PM #2
      I had Blizzaks on my E46 M3 and it was pretty great in the snow. It was definitely worth the peace of mind as it was my daily driver and we got snow often enough.

Even with no snow, it was just better all around on winter tires in freezing temps. Summer tires and anything below freezing felt a bit sketchy.

Cars
      2017 GTI
      11-06-2019 01:30 PM #3
      cost of most expensive snows < cost of any fender bender.
      My glass is half-full of empty

Cars
      05 S2000, 15 M3, 17 GTI Sport
      11-06-2019 01:33 PM #4
      Yeah, they're worth it. I wish my winter set were 18's for slightly cheaper operating costs, but it works.

6. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      11-06-2019 01:34 PM #5
      I drive all winter in my Cayman with snow tires - absolutely worth it. You will be way less stuck
      In fact, I feel more confident with my snow tires on the cayman than I would in an AWD with all-seasons. The key is to take turns very, very smoothly and slowly - no accelerating mid corner and you won't spin out
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 11-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

7. Member
      Cars
      '09 335d
      11-06-2019 01:35 PM #6
      Always worth it.

8. Member
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      11-06-2019 01:37 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      Hello all,

For the first time in years, I have no "winter car". The Rabbit GTi was suppose to be that, but it had some issues and VW bought it back. Anyway, that leaves me with my 1998 M3, which sits in the garage and does not go out in rain let alone snow. That leaves me with my 2018 M3 which is my daily driver. Honestly, with the 20 inch wheels and competition package, its not the best daily for NYC roads, but that's another thread. I'm trying to figure out if snow tires are worth the $1800 tirerack wants, or will the car be just as stuck either way. I've entertained the idea of a beater, but frankly, $2k doesn't buy you much around here, and then there is insurance and upkeep... so that's not happening. Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks,
      Danny
      Totally worth it. It isn't just about snow, but also temperature. We have dedicated snow wheels and tires on our daily drivers, and it is astonishing how much of a difference it makes. Our Highlander was worthless in the snow on its no-seasons. After installing Blizzaks (-1), it is a whole different beast.

PS - More E36 pictures! Sincerely, fellow E36 M3 driver.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-06-2019 01:38 PM #8
      The car straight up needs winter tires but I wouldn't put them on those 20" stock wheels, they're must be a half decent 18 or 19 option that would work and you won't beat the crap out of your nice wheels.

Of course you could always buy a $5k winter beater too.

10. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      11-06-2019 01:39 PM #9
      Can you get fit wheels, like 17s or 18s on the car?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

11-06-2019 01:42 PM #10
      I daily my 2015 M3 in the winter and have a set of 18" winters (Verderstein tires.) Went with a square setup (245/40R18.) It's pretty easy to get around in all but the worst conditions. I wouldn't dream of driving it on the summers in the winter.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-06-2019 01:48 PM #11
      The car won't be the best vehicle in the world in snow, but it will be vastly better than if you were running the standard summer tires. The temps alone would make it worth the change. Before we got the jeep, I used the m3 in the winter on occassion and bought a set of used winter wheels and tires. Even when worn, the snow tires were much better than summer tires.

There's no point in risking catastrophe, just get the winters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cars
      2018 M3
      11-06-2019 01:57 PM #12
      Guess I should clarify. I'm a believer in winter tires. We have a dedicated set for my wife's GTI and between FWD and snow tires, the thing is great. My concern with the M3 was that its really low and I don't feel great about spending $1800 for wheels/tires from tirerack (which are 18s) just to find out I'm not going anywhere anyway.

14. Member
      Cars
      11-06-2019 02:01 PM #13
      Guess I should clarify. I'm a believer in winter tires. We have a dedicated set for my wife's GTI and between FWD and snow tires, the thing is great. My concern with the M3 was that its really low and I don't feel great about spending $1800 for wheels/tires from tirerack (which are 18s) just to find out I'm not going anywhere anyway.
      Well, I can tell you that anyone here will disagree with that sentiment It makes a world of difference.
      The "really low" aspect - well, there's nothing you can do about that. It will plow in real deep snow - but in anything under that you most certainly wont be stuck. I've driven through a 2-3in. covered parking lot in my Cayman without any issues.
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 11-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      11-06-2019 02:06 PM #14

Why not look for a used set of winter wheels/tires? And if you plan on going through deep unplowed snow you simply have the wrong car.

16. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-06-2019 02:10 PM #15
      OP, yes, if it were me I'd go for it. If more than a little snow, preferably studless as opposed to performance. It won't be amazing (and even xDrive with its rear bias on these cars isn't amazing), but based on how our F22 xDrive does with snow tires I don't think an F80 will be unusable at all, even if it's RWD it's a bigger car, and does have a diff.

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      I drive all winter in my Cayman with snow tires - absolutely worth it. You will be way less stuck
      In fact, I feel more confident with my snow tires on the cayman than I would in an AWD with all-seasons. The key is to take turns very, very smoothly and slowly - no accelerating mid corner and you won't spin out
      Sorry to threadjack, but do you mind sharing what setup you have and if you like it? I'm thinking about the OEM 18" package, but like anything Porsche it's $$.
      Last edited by ghost03; 11-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.

17. Member
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      11-06-2019 02:10 PM #16
      It'll be great. In my youth, I drove a VERY low MKII that I fitted with some lovely nokian winters, and that thing didn't care. The snow could be up to the bottom of the front bumper and it would just shove it aside. Only when the snow was intensely wet AND deep did I notice much of an issue. With modern TC, and more power, your M3 will be legendary. In fact, I envy that you'll be having so much fun as I sit in my dad mobile unable to even fully defeat my TC so I can do donuts.

Cars
      2018 M3
      11-06-2019 02:13 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Why not look for a used set of winter wheels/tires? And if you plan on going through deep unplowed snow you simply have the wrong car.

Over at bimmerpost there is nothing local, and most people want around $1500 anyway, and I'd have to go pick them up, so not worth the effort when a new set is $300 more.
      Where I live the snow isn't horrible, once you get to the main road which is only 3 blocks away. A few years ago we had one storm where my wifes car was stuck, and my CRV barely made it. That's not the norm, so maybe I'm overthinking this and should just go buy a set from tirerack and see what happens. In retrospect, I shouldn't have sold that old CRV I had, it was perfect for crappy weather and not giving a crap where you park.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-06-2019 02:14 PM #18
      Well you're not going to be going anywhere in 6" of loose, fluffy snow. Or maybe not even up little hills on 1" of packed snow - But if you even want to go anywhere when roads are cleared, or with a light dusting, or possible patches of ice, you want a winter setup.

20. Member
      Cars
      11-06-2019 02:17 PM #19
      Over at bimmerpost there is nothing local, and most people want around $1500 anyway, and I'd have to go pick them up, so not worth the effort when a new set is $300 more.
      Where I live the snow isn't horrible, once you get to the main road which is only 3 blocks away. A few years ago we had one storm where my wifes car was stuck, and my CRV barely made it. That's not the norm, so maybe I'm overthinking this and should just go buy a set from tirerack and see what happens. In retrospect, I shouldn't have sold that old CRV I had, it was perfect for crappy weather and not giving a crap where you park.
      You essentially recoup some cost as well in time that you're not wearing down your summer tires.
      I somewhat agree with you - stop overthinking it and just get them. There's no reason to handicap yourself and risk a preventable accident just for short term costs.

Cars
      2018 M3
      11-06-2019 02:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      You essentially recoup some cost as well in time that you're not wearing down your summer tires.
      I somewhat agree with you - stop overthinking it and just get them. There's no reason to handicap yourself and risk a preventable accident just for short term costs.
      Oh, I wasn't even considering trying to drive it on the summer tires. I'll either buy snow tires or another car all together. I'm just trying to decide which way to go.

Cars
      2018 M3
      11-06-2019 02:23 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Well you're not going to be going anywhere in 6" of loose, fluffy snow. Or maybe not even up little hills on 1" of packed snow - But if you even want to go anywhere when roads are cleared, or with a light dusting, or possible patches of ice, you want a winter setup.
      good to know, thanks

Blog Entries
      Cars
      11-06-2019 02:24 PM #22
      Gotcha, makes sense. There's only so much one can do with a performance car in the snow, but with the right tires the capabilities are markedly increased. And as you note, you can buy a new winter set and sell them later without losing a ton.

24. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-06-2019 02:30 PM #23
      Beater with a heater and craigslist snow tires an option?
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

25. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      11-06-2019 02:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Where does this perception come from? I've plowed right through more than a foot deep snow just fine in my S4 that's tucking tire under the fender.

Cars
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      11-06-2019 02:39 PM #25
      Get 18" winter performance tires, which are not "snow tires". I had Pirelli Sottozero Serie II on my RS4 while I lived in Salt Lake City, and they're perfect. They'll get you going AND stop you in everything but ice, but they still handle close to summers (during the summer). In other words, you can still drive and push your M3 when the temps drop below 40.

Read the reviews:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast