VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Looks like I might have a coil pack(s) that is going out - how to tell which one?

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  SpazzyD 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had a coil pack go out on my earlier VW (a New Beetle), so I know what symptoms the engine shows for that. Of course, I will go to AutoZone and get the CEL codes done, but I have a hunch it's the coil pack - although this thread shows pretty much exactly what I am getting, and it be other stuff:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1878282-Flashing-Check-engine-light-rough-idle-power-gone

For the record, the CEL alternates from flashing to always-on :mad:, and I already have an existing issue with the thermostat stuck open (although I don't think that is problem now as it is not so cold in my area). It's a 2003 Jetta Wagon with 166K miles.

I wonder if the CEL code gives which one of the packs is bad; if it does not, then how does one ascertain which ones need replacing? :confused:

#3 ·
Here's the readout:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

P0300 Random Misfire Detected

P2181 Cooling System Performance (I've had this for years :rolleyes:)

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0300 Random Misfire Detected

P3081 Engine Temperature Too Low (see P2181)

P0130 O2 Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

OK, so it looks like the #3 coil pack is out. I wonder if the P0130 is indicative of that, or is a whole new problem. :mad:

The AutoZone rep said that sometimes the exact pack doesn't show properly, but I have a feeling that he is trying to make a bigger sale. :rolleyes:

So it looks like I will just purchase an change the #3 pack - but I wait for some responses here to buttress this decision.

#10 ·
Status

OK, so I got the Bosch coil pack and installed it, and I'm still getting the same issue. :mad::mad:

After clearing the codes by detaching the battery for 10 minutes, the new codes no longer show the O2 sensor, but still show #3 as misfiring. The guy at AutoZone says to check the plug carefully (I will make sure to clean the contacts well), and after that the spark plug - and if not that, an injector problem, which unfortunately sounds like a PITA to do myself and/or something expensive. :( I'll need to wait until it's daytime to continue.

Any ideas?

#11 · (Edited)
If the misfire didn’t move when you swapped plugs, then why did you order a new coil? Or did you NOT do that test?

Next would be to check the condition of #3 spark plug. Ie: gap and condition ( is it covered in oil,fuel,burnt)
If that passes then check #3 injector and wiring and lastly compression

Don’t be lazy and do the tests. Otherwise just throw parts at it until it’s fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
OK, an update. I am still waiting for my Amazon Prime 2-day package with the Bosch spark plug to get delivered. :mad: However, I did about 80 miles of mostly highway driving today, and I didn't notice the hesitation problem like I had a week ago. I wonder if the injectors were just a bit clogged, but got unclogged by a certain amount of use? Perhaps I should look into some fuel treatment to continue working away at any clogging that could still be there (or is building up)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.