VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Fisker's affordable all-electric SUV is called 'Ocean'

60K views 538 replies 99 participants last post by  chucchinchilla 
#1 ·

Click on above link if photos don't show up in quote below.

The sub-$40,000 vehicle will debut on January 4th, 2020.

Earlier this year, Fisker revealed that it's planning to release a relatively affordable electric SUV in 2021. Now, the automaker has revealed that the vehicle will be called the "Fisker Ocean." Fisker will forego building a showcar and will debut what it says is "a fully running production intent prototype sitting on the actual, completely engineered platform" on January 4th, 2020. It will be private event, but the company promises to put a livestream up that everyone can watch.

The Ocean will have a full-length solar roof to help boost the vehicle's range, and Fisker believes it will provide up to 1,000 extra clean miles a year. It will also use carpeting made from abandoned fishing net waste pulled from oceans, as well as vegan materials for the interior.

Before the vehicle itself debuts, Fisker will launch its mobile app first. You can use the app, which will be available on November 27th, to lease the vehicle with no long-term contracts. Fisker will take early reservations and reveal more details about the vehicle, including its pricing, on the same day. It previously said that the SUV will cost less than $40,000, though, making it one the relatively affordable electric vehicles you can buy. The company also said that Ocean's target range is approximately 250 to 300 miles and that it may come with an 80 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.

The vehicle is scheduled to go into production by the end of 2021, with the first high-volume deliveries slated to happen sometime in 2022.

#15 ·
I think you are failing to give credit that Henrik Fisker is more than “anyone with a name”. Even though the Karma ended up being sold off, he brought a car from idea to market in a few years. Other than Tesla, nobody else has really done that. If the original Fisker Automotive had as much capital as Tesla, the first effort may likely still be around. Instead, it still exists, just owned by the Wanxiang group as Karma Automotive. That car exists, is produced in the US, and is well regarded in its latest iteration. So while I agree the EV market is nascent and open, I think you don’t give Henrik enough credit for what he accomplished the first time around.

My Karma, #007 ever built, still runs great and turns heads, even almost 8 years after I took delivery in December 2011. It came out before Tesla, but would have been better off waiting a year or two longer.

#26 ·
True, and it still looks good after all these years. If Fisker came out that SUV first though, they'd be a company I could easily ignore.

#19 ·
I placed my deposit on a Fisker Ocean, using the new Fisker App. $250 to hold a place in line. Yes, it’s not until 2022, but that’s just around the corner, car-wise.

Fisker is seeking to be something different this time: a”mobility” provider. They are targeting a $379/mo “subscription”, with $2999 down and 30,000 miles a year! Free maintenance and you can turn the car in at any time to cancel the subscription. It’s a wildly different model which should appeal to people who really don’t want to own the car. The App will be the central platform for drivers, offering everything from insurance to delivery and maintenance. IMO, it’s a first step toward an app that could be used for other things like driverless ride sharing, etc.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ll-digital-experience-unveiled-300965984.html

#29 ·
How do you feel about buying a car from a "new" manufacturer, or in the case of Fisker, as start-up with a history of failure on its record?
I am not criticizing the company, the car, or your purchase decision.
I just don't think I'd have the courage to make a major purchase from a company that is new. (What if the company goes under? What happens to the resale value/warranty/etc...?)

#20 ·
Interesting. That fits my needs almost ideally. Has me thinking hard...

Also, vegan this vegan that :facepalm:

#21 ·
Vegan is what the kids want these days... everything sustainable! No steak in your EV!

Funny addendum: I head from the company after my deposit/reservation. According to their Artificial Intelligence marketing system, the system listed me as a "chronic car enthusiast"

Chronic! My wife might agree.

#25 ·
whitejeep1989;113928131 Is that worth a facepalm emoji? What's wrong with the use of the word "vegan" anyway? [/QUOTE said:
Because people (companies) are using a dietary lifestyle to market a steering wheel

“My seat is made from fast food materials.”

It’s ridiculous.

Just sat materials created from sustainable materials. Don’t try to get points by using the overtly over the top Vegan community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Because people (companies) are using a dietary lifestyle to market a steering wheel

“My seat is made from fast food materials.”

It’s ridiculous.

Just sat materials created from sustainable materials. Don’t try to get points by using the overtly over the top Vegan community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Vegetarian" is the dietary lifestyle, but vegetarians can still choose to wear leather or other animal derived products.
"Veganism" is the general philosophy of not using animals for their flesh, skin, eggs, or any other by-products.

Also, why is any of this "over the top"?
Why be mad at people choosing not to consume/wear another living creature?

(I am not vegan or vegetarian, BTW)

#41 ·
So... 1k miles a year from the solar panel or 2.7 miles a day. That's almost useless. I want to see the math for solar panel charging range (even on a sunny California outing) vs the same vehicle's range without the weight of the solar panel.

#43 ·
It’s not meaningful, but it is a small start to a technology that can improve over time. An extra “free” few miles can’t hurt. I have the solar roof on my Fisker Karma, and it’s intent in 2011 was mainly to provide power to run a cooling fan on hot days to keep the battery cool. It does mostly nothing, and the company first offered it as an option, but virtually every customer of the first units ordered the option, so they made it standard on the 3000 or so produced. There exists no Karma without it. I think now on the new Fiskers it’s a design, aesthetic, and conversation piece that can someday grow into something more as battery and PV panel technology evolves. Gotta start somewhere! The first car air conditioners didn’t do much, either. Everything evolves.

#64 ·
I don't disagree, but the option for "animal-free" should exist for people whose religion or lifestyle is opposed to consuming animals (or cows, specifically).

It has always seemed odd to me that a rapidly depreciating Ford Taurus would be lined with the skins of a formerly living being(s).
That just feels upside down on the Karma index.

#57 ·
Don't you bring Subaru's into this.

#97 ·
Okay, I'm in.

Timing will fit nicely with when my current daily is about to retire. And all I have to lose right now is $25. A little nervous, the idea of driving an EV. I suppose there has to be a charging station somewhere on I-95 when I make trips north.

#101 ·
Didn't mean they would be compatible - just in general, if the market is turning toward putting them in Wawa gas stations, I'm sure other places will be popping up with universal stations (if they haven't already).

I'm pretty sure the rest areas on the turnpike sections in MD and DE have charging stations.

#108 ·

Fisker Ocean will charge seamlessly with Electrify America

Fisker Ocean will charge seamlessly with Electrify America

And in a new teaser, we get our best look yet at the side profile.

The Fisker Ocean is less than a month away from its debut at CES, but like a drizzly rain, the electric car startup has dribbled a little more information.

Fisker on Thursday said the Ocean electric SUV will charge seamlessly with Electrify America. For future owners, Electrify America stations will automatically recognize the Fisker for automatic charging release and payments. If you're not familiar with the EV charging world, that's a big deal, as payment, membership and more can get overwhelming between various companies. Unlike gas pumps, credit cards aren't the norm at charging stations.

With the announcement, Fisker also revealed yet another image that I'm not sure even counts as a teaser anymore. With this photo, we've basically seen the entire SUV. The side profile once again highlights the high-mounted side indicator lights. When charging, they double as a charging status light. A green bar means the Ocean is completely charged, as shown in the photo.

Speaking of charging, all the juice will flow into an 80 kilowatt-hour battery that will provide an estimated 300 miles of range. When plugged into a 350-kilowatt charger, drivers can expect to see 200 miles of range added in 30 minutes.

In addition, the startup also said we'll finally learn more about its open-air experience dubbed "California Mode." This feature, which will be standard on all Ocean SUVs save for the base model, will supposedly let passengers "experience the sun, fresh air and an open feeling without being in a convertible," according to Fisker.

Fisker previously dished out some other important details about the Ocean ahead of its CES debut next month. We know this electric SUV will primarily be available via flexible lease program. No long-term contracts here, and each agreement will come with 30,000 miles. The starting payment will be $379 per month after a $2,999 down payment. Order books opened at the end of November to reserve an Ocean.

We'll get the full scoop on the Fisker Ocean when it's shown in the metal next month. The car will be a fully production-intent prototype on a real platform, the startup underscored. There, we'll finally see its super sustainable interior, too.

#109 ·
I’m going to have to try the Electrify America charging station near me to see how simple they make it. It seems I have had to try multiple apps lately, and I want something more standardized! Chargepoint was always easy to use, and now I have Greenlots as well, but what I don’t want is to have to have 4-5 different apps on my phone just so I can have multiple charging options when in the road away from home.

#110 ·
what I don’t want is to have to have 4-5 different apps on my phone just so I can have multiple charging options when in the road away from home.
This would definitely annoy the piss out of me. Ideally, I would want to have one app, from the manufacture, which allowed for many different options for charging and car settings within the same app.

I know its possible, someone just needs to do it.