VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone install a remote start

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sanjay24V 
#1 ·
Looking at remote start options for my VR6.

#3 ·
I have not, but others have discussed it here in the past. From what I recall, the Immobilizer is the crux - you either have to disable it or leave a key in the car near enough to the lock cylinder that it can pick up the Immobilizer signal from the key fob.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm looking at this. Haven't found an 8P with it installed but an 8V guy said he had it installed without sacrificing a key. I'm going to see if I can find out if an MK6 or MK7 golf was able to install.

https://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/764

The data sheet says no key required for installation, just for programming.

#5 ·
Remote starters are pretty 90s but yeah iDataLink has developed their bypass module called KLON which doesn't require any keys to be used.

Even on the older-type bypasses that require a key you don't exactly leave the key near to the ignition cylinder, you leave it in a hidden away box which has a wire that loops around the ignition switch, serving as a "transmission" medium to get the signal to the cylinder.

I think the CMVWXA0 already includes the no-key bypass functionality but I'm not sure--all their models of product are pretty confusing as they have a lot of overlap in what different things do.

#7 ·
I have Viper remote start and have module to use my phone to start the car because I don't want another remote attached to our anchor. I have been very disappointed with Viper on this car. Had Viper on my Nissan a few years back and it was great. They've updated their hardware and software and I think it sucks now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.