Fourtitude.com - CCTA upper Timing covers, Rein, CTP, Aluminum
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      10-22-2019 12:30 PM #1
      Have a 2009 CC and a 2010 TT with the CCTA. The upper timing covers are absolute garbage... (I know about the other areas that are prone to leaks like the Cam adj valve, etc). And I am also aware of the tightening sequence to prevent cover distortion.

After dealing with constant leaks years back, I decided to replace the CC's and ponied up the bucks ($180) for the Factory Revision (think it was G at the time) and it is still dry.

The TT came with a bad leak and visible cover was warped. So, I decided to buy the CTP aftermarket cover. After a couple of weeks it started leaking again, and then like a sieve.. Pressure test looks like leaks around most of the seal. Took it apart last night and the cover appears straight, but It looks like the seal actually shrunk up The seal has the VAG logo and PN FYI. I don't get it.

So, after futile searching, I can't decipher if the Rein version and the CTP (Continental, Contitech) are actually the same cover since I think part of the same company these days.

Also, I see that China is making an Aluminum cover (which to me sounds like a great idea) EBAY. I just ordered one but looks like it will take a week or two.

In the mean time, I replaced the seal on the CTP cover and this time used a light finger coat of some of the Grey RTV as used on the Lower Timing Covers. We shall see how this concept works. If this doesn't work while I wait for the Al cover, I may shorten the metal screw spacers to squeeze the seal a tad more.

Anyone have anything to add regarding the aftermarket covers or anything else? Anyone use one of the AL covers from China?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      10-22-2019 02:10 PM #2
      I ran into this issue at work quite a few times over the years. I have started to rtv every single cover and no problems since. I know you're not supposed to, but I cannot have leaks coming back.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

Cars
      10-22-2019 02:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      I ran into this issue at work quite a few times over the years. I have started to rtv every single cover and no problems since. I know you're not supposed to, but I cannot have leaks coming back.
      Good to know and agree 100%. I just did a shake down on the TT and all is dry.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      10-22-2019 04:05 PM #4
      I wonder why you're not supposed to RTV? Does anyone know? Only thing I can think of is that the silicone eventually dries hard and little pieces might fall into the oil channels and clog them.

Also, I used Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing on my 1.9 TDI valve cover gaskets before. Would it work better for our TSI/TFSI engines?

Cars
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      10-22-2019 10:25 PM #5
      Name brand Rtv such as Permatex stays in place very well and stays flexable. Most other car manufacturers use Rtv on the timing covers and oil pans instead of seals or gaskets. I haven't used that stuff in your link yet, but I'll definitely give it a shot. And see how it goes.
      Last edited by jiffyjetta; 10-22-2019 at 10:28 PM.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

Cars
      10-23-2019 09:59 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by findalex View Post
      I wonder why you're not supposed to RTV? Does anyone know? Only thing I can think of is that the silicone eventually dries hard and little pieces might fall into the oil channels and clog them.

Also, I used Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing on my 1.9 TDI valve cover gaskets before. Would it work better for our TSI/TFSI engines?
      It's more that "you shouldn't have to" and some may shun you just because of that... But I don't care about that. Then again, the factory cover shouldn't warp, the factory seal shouldn't shrink up, etc. It is really a poor design and anxious to get the Aluminum one I ordered.

RTV will not hurt rubber or silicone seals, etc. It gets hard, but it doesn't really harden. Excess getting into the engine is always a concern but the lower timing cover and other areas are sealed only by RTV. Care should be taken not to use excess.

We used regular old GE Clear RTV for Years and years on Harleys in various areas, seals, orings and gaskets. never had any problem resisting oils etc once set and the only sure cure.

With that said, there are more suitable RTV sealers and the grey stuff (various brands including VW) works really well.

I have not used that Permatex, but swear by some of their other products. Will definitely check it out.

Cars
      11-11-2019 04:45 PM #7
      The Grey RTV did the trick and has been leak free. Used the old fingers to shine up both sides and assembled.

I received the Aluminum one today from CN. Looks to be a spectacular piece, however, before making any assumptions, I will take some measurements against an old one. Since the car is sealed up tight right now and I don't necessarily like sticking pointy sticks in my eye for the sake of doing so, I will probably keep the Aluminum one on hand until needed. The CC and TT can fight it out as to who will start leaking again first

I'll post a pic or two of the Cover. Took a couple of weeks to get.

Cars
      09 GTI
      12-14-2019 11:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      The Grey RTV did the trick and has been leak free. Used the old fingers to shine up both sides and assembled.

I received the Aluminum one today from CN. Looks to be a spectacular piece, however, before making any assumptions, I will take some measurements against an old one. Since the car is sealed up tight right now and I don't necessarily like sticking pointy sticks in my eye for the sake of doing so, I will probably keep the Aluminum one on hand until needed. The CC and TT can fight it out as to who will start leaking again first

I'll post a pic or two of the Cover. Took a couple of weeks to get.
      You got pics of this aluminum cover??
      Quote Originally Posted by pigg08 View Post
      Plasti dipped them white, terrible idea i will never plasti dip wheels again.
      Quote Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
      people start threads with your exact same question weekly.

Cars
      12-18-2019 10:07 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
      You got pics of this aluminum cover??
      Here is the product on Ebay with Pics. This the guy who I got it from and it looks identical to the pics and seems like nice quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0T-Engine...4AAOSwX65dR947

However, As mentioned, I have not fitted it because I got the plastic replacement one to seal using the Grey RTV. So, this one is sitting in my parts stash, until the time comes when one of my CCTAs starts leaking again

If I get time, I may try to take some measurements against the old stock cover I have.

Cars
      09 GTI
      12-19-2019 01:01 PM #10
      Thanks for the link. I'll keep this in mind if mine develops the leak.
      Quote Originally Posted by pigg08 View Post
      Plasti dipped them white, terrible idea i will never plasti dip wheels again.
      Quote Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
      people start threads with your exact same question weekly.