VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2006 2.0t FSI Audi A3 with misfire only under idle.. searched, tried a bit already and losing hope.

14K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  CODeton8Rob 
#1 ·
I have a new to me 2006 Audi A3 2.0t FSI. 120k miles DSG
I bought it cheap for it had this P0302 and the P0300. Code has never been anything other then P0302 #2 cylinder misfire other than the P0300.

What I have done already:
1. Replaced with genuine Audi/VW from ECS
A. Spark Plugs (all 4)
B. Coils (all 4)
C. Cam Follower
D. Fuel Filter
E. Fuel Injectors (all 4)
2. I also cleaned out the intake manifold, TB and the intake valve areas on the heads . Carbon cleaned it with a brass wire brush attachment on my rotary tool.
3. It only runs rough at idle, around town and anything over 1150 rpms is solid and fast. Runs even better with those changes above but idle still sucks/

These were the basics of my searches across the web. I also found people that did the above and still had issues, some change out the connectors for the coils, some upgraded the ground. some did seafoam (i have already done it on this car). Some people just gave up and I never saw another post..

Anyway I would love to know others experience in getting rid of this. I have an OBDEleven and can do the coding but I dont see that being the issue. I was going to order the chain tensioner kit, timing belt kit (not sure it was done), catch can, diverter valve and MAF sensor. But before I drop even more money into it, I thought I would ask you all.. I appreciate any help. I saw another guy have similar problems but his randomely goes from cylinder to cylinder. Mine is only at idle.

thanks again
Rob

See less See more
#6 ·
Looking at MAF test instructions it looks like it isnt my MAF..
I do appreciate you reply, I hope someone else might reply is there a better forum that might get a little more views etc? or even help that would be awesome. I guess forums arent what they used to be. Anyone know of any FB groups or something.. Last resort is taking it to the shop.

#7 ·
I have the same issue on an 08 Passat. It has a TSI engine but exact same symptoms. Changed everything mentioned in your post except the cam follower. Most of my misfires are on cyl #1 with a smaller amount on the other 3. An increase in the idle of a few 100 RPM and the misfires go almost down to 0. I have ODBEleven as well. The only thing I can come up with is I have lower compression on cyl #1. Have you done a compression check?

#8 ·
Finally! Someone with my exact same issue! Only difference is I have a misfire on cylinder 4. I've done everything you've done as well along with changing a MAF earlier today to no avail. I've also tried to find vacuum leaks everywhere and nothing. So far no clue what it is but I'll be sure to chime in if something comes up! Please do as well if you figure something out.

Going to take the car in tomorrow to an indie shop to see if I can get their opinion.

#9 ·
Alright, I will do the same as I am going to try the Diverter Valve.. But I would think it would have a CEL for the appropriate thing. I mean misfire for Cylinder two.. I cannot get it to follow an injector, coil or spark plug, It is just number two no matter what I did.. **** I did compression test on the cylinder. I will update on anything in here.. Sorry you are having this issue too VLUONG. I would think if there are many people having this issue there would be a definitive fix. Makes me resent buying an Audi.. This is my daily driver I want to put more into it but cant until this is fixed.

#12 ·
Alrighty CODenton! I've got news for us. Although not the greatest thing in the world, its something. I popped off my valve cover to see what might be going on and sure enough there is some MAJOR wear on my intake cam lobe on cylinder 4 (related to my low rpm under 2k P0304). Looks like the roller seized up and over time wore the crap out of the cam. I got the idea of looking under the valve cover when I heard of the collapsed lifter TSB along with another members horror story of his valve cover breaking apart and jamming up his valve springs. Its worth a look! I am 95% sure this is my problem.

#15 ·
You are awesome brother. and SO DAMN glad you got it fixed.. I am gonna take a look under the valve cover tomorrow. I noticed something strange today when the DSG shifts it makes this grunting.. I know it might be the diverter valve letting pressure out but it is strange to me that it sounds like a couple of deep low grunts.

I will also try what GvFx is saying because now I can get down to the injectors in about 30 minutes or less. lol. I am also just for S&Gs gonna upgrade the grounds to the coils and injectors, tap in and beef up to another common ground, maybe a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.