Fourtitude.com - I call upon the powers of Vortex - find me a car that won't depreciate in the next year
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      10-17-2019 08:45 AM #26
      Really sorry to hear about your sister. Nice that you are doing all this to be with her

In terms of car....because Arizona...

Or at least some form of well-maintained vintage pick-up

Last edited by Lujess; 10-17-2019 at 08:50 AM.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      10-17-2019 09:19 AM #27
      Hagerty does a list for this every year.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ll-market-list

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-17-2019 09:25 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post
      Get a 4Runner. Or get the nicest used GX460 you're comfortable with.

They don't depreciate, they do errands and real life stuff well (I understand supporting people who aren't feeling well. While it's tempting to have something "fun" to drive them around in, unless they're diehard car people, riding around in a classic or sports car is kinda miserable). And if y'all are into it and up for it, you can take your sister to some incredible places around Arizona that are outdoorsy and scenic and accessible by 4WD. ie: you can go hiking without having to hike.

If you buy a 4Runner, it won't ask anything of you and it will be as fun or as invisible as you need it to be.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your sister and I admire you doing what you're doing to be there with her. Please let us know if we can help in any way. Heck, if you want a TRD Pro 4Runner with 60k miles on it, I'll give you a TCL get well soon deal on it.
      Everything John said above.

Cars
      autonomous driving and holographs will let us once again watch ayrton senna drive in the rain.
      10-17-2019 09:33 AM #29
      Get a Forester XT. Manual, one owner examples are going for a steady 10k for not-so-clean examples and 15k for STI swaps w/ not so great mileage. If you get a 06-08 you can get the Sports facelift and upgraded climate controls. Any example worth its salt will have full suspension, bolt-ons, brakes, and sticky rubber pre-applied for your most Ken Blocky stunts. I just recently sold mine and profited around 1200 despite it desperately needing a timing belt and water cooler.

6. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      10-17-2019 09:36 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I'm moving damn near halfway across the country to Phoenix next week. I'm going to be with my little sister who is suffering with stage 4 cancer. Quit my job, sold my house, gave away 80% of my possessions, and here we go.
      Good luck. I went through something similar; I lost my little sister a few years back to quick-moving breast cancer that spread to her brain. I commend what you're doing; luckily, I had just left my job, so I had the time (and the $) to fly and visit her in ICU/hospice each week until she passed away.

Get something easy; you don't want to screw with it. GX or 4Runner.

Tom

7. 10-17-2019 10:12 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Good luck. I went through something similar; I lost my little sister a few years back to quick-moving breast cancer that spread to her brain.

That's exactly what she has 😞. Rare form of breast cancer that moved so fast. Gut wrenching stuff, I don't know how to describe it.

Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      10-17-2019 10:19 AM #32
      Go look at sold vehicles on Bring a Trailer, find one you like and in your price range and then go searching for the same vehicle in other places for less money.

9. 10-17-2019 10:27 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      Since you didn't give a price ceiling, might I suggest a car that will not only avoid depreciation, but will probably make you money over that year.
      Imagine some Arizona blue hair door dinging this to the tune of $500k while you're parked at the store.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      10-17-2019 10:36 AM #34
      1st or 2nd gen Ford F150 Lightning.
      Kept in good shape they keep their values. I like the 1st if you find a good one as they can appreciate now.

That's exactly what she has 😞. Rare form of breast cancer that moved so fast. Gut wrenching stuff, I don't know how to describe it.

11. Senior Member
      10-17-2019 10:39 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      1st or 2nd gen Ford F150 Lightning.
      Kept in good shape they keep their values. I like the 1st if you find a good one as they can appreciate now.
      Exactly what I thought of after making my post. A rust free AZ first gen could be worth a ton back east.

Worked with a guy years ago that brought his C10 from AZ to philly, kind of perfect sun damaged patina with obviously no rust. He had people run across intersections banging on his window to hand them a card asking to call when he wanted to sell... (he did eventually and tripled his money.. and this was before they were worth anything)

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      10-17-2019 10:49 AM #36
      Prayers to your sister and you.

I dig the E46 M3 suggestion. A top-down drive on a nice warm day sounds pretty damn healing.

also: not sure how much you're into non-traditional methods, but take a look into fasting and sauna use for cancer. really neat studies being done with fasting.

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      10-17-2019 11:06 AM #37
      So sorry to hear about your sister. That is heartbreaking. I have two older sisters myself and I couldn't imagine going through that with them.

For what its worth, FJ40s are way down in recent years, we've sold lots in the past and the flame has definitely cooled down on them, even restomods are getting tougher to sell. FJ60s and super clean FJ80s are more user friendly and therefore values seem more stable these days. Not appreciating rapidly, but something you probably won't lose your shirt on if you keep it nice. I would also echo others in suggesting a GX as they seem to hold their value extremely well.

Best of luck and I wish your sister comfort.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      10-17-2019 11:13 AM #38
      I have nothing to offer on the car front, but commend you for doing right by your sister.

All the best - to you and family
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

15. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      10-17-2019 11:16 AM #39
      Sorry to hear about your sister, that's terrible.

For the car, do you have a budget in mind? That might help narrow things down. The other thing I would mention is that, if depreciation is your goal, a recession might change the market radically. Experts are saying something like 20-30% chance in the next year, so it's not even close to a sure thing, but it's also definitely possible. I would think that would add deprecation on a lot of cars that traditionally do well, some more than others. E.g., people will still need to do Tacoma stuff, but maybe won't need their sports cars to be cooled with air.

16. Member
      Cars
      Carpooling with the Old Lady
      10-17-2019 12:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      You haven’t looked at mine, I guess. Buy it before I sell it this weekend for basically what I paid new.
      You got a FS link, mang?

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      10-17-2019 12:48 PM #41
      I'd say Wrangler too. Here's why, you and your sister might enjoy cruising around top down etc. If she's able to do it it might be a fun escape.

Another option would be a Minivan. Cheap and if your transporting people or stuff very useful. Not fun at all, just practical. Sounds like your looking for something on the fun side rather then pure utility.

Or Miata convertible if you fit the right height restrictions.
      Last edited by XClayX; 10-17-2019 at 01:06 PM.

18. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      10-17-2019 01:58 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      You got a FS link, mang?
      I dont, but if you’re interested let’s talk.

Shoot me a PM.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

19. 10-17-2019 04:25 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I'd say Wrangler too. Here's why, you and your sister might enjoy cruising around top down etc. If she's able to do it it might be a fun escape.

Another option would be a Minivan. Cheap and if your transporting people or stuff very useful. Not fun at all, just practical. Sounds like your looking for something on the fun side rather then pure utility.

Or Miata convertible if you fit the right height restrictions.
      Yeah I figure I won't be commuting and everything else in life sucks so bad, so maybe get something a little fun. My nephew is 6 and I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time driving around, too.

I'm 6'2" and crammed myself into an Elise once. My Doug Demuro moment.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      10-17-2019 04:30 PM #44
      From experience earlier this summer, an off-menu base Model 3 for $35k. I actually made money on it. But in your case, I'd say an older Miata, S2000, and perhaps a Wrangler you find for a good deal. Good Luck OP.
      Slow Car Fast

21. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-17-2019 04:35 PM #45
      Buy a V6 TRD Tacoma or a Wrangler Rubicon.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      '16 Soul
      10-17-2019 05:49 PM #46
      If she's going to ride, I would suggest giving some consideration to ride comfort, smoothness for her that can provide you an escape to blow off your own steam. Bone rattling Jeeps might need to sit this one out
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      10-17-2019 06:27 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      If she's going to ride, I would suggest giving some consideration to ride comfort, smoothness for her that can provide you an escape to blow off your own steam. Bone rattling Jeeps might need to sit this one out
      This is a solid point. Ride comfort might be a top concern for her depending on the situation. The Model 3 suggested above would give all the giggles, zero noise or smell of any sports car. OP is there any vehicle your sister enjoys? This might be an opportunity to rent something temporarily, then buy what ever daily you want.

24. Member
      10-17-2019 07:16 PM #48
      As a former Tacoma owner, that gets my vote. I bought one new in '11 and put 90K miles on it in 4 years. I only lost about 9K and that was through a dealer trade, I could have done better if I dealt private. Plus they're nice trucks.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

25. 10-17-2019 07:31 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      This is a solid point. Ride comfort might be a top concern for her depending on the situation. The Model 3 suggested above would give all the giggles, zero noise or smell of any sports car. OP is there any vehicle your sister enjoys? This might be an opportunity to rent something temporarily, then buy what ever daily you want.
      4runners, wranglers, and Range Rovers (NO!) are probably her 3 favorite vehicles. Currently combing the web for the right used 4runner.

26. Member
      Cars
      REALLY gave up and bought an Outback
      10-17-2019 08:37 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      4runners, wranglers, and Range Rovers (NO!) are probably her 3 favorite vehicles. Currently combing the web for the right used 4runner.
      Great call. This is mine in AZ last year:

untitled-9243 by John Montesi, on Flickr

I'll be back in Colorado in a couple weeks if you're still in the hunt then. Best of luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast