Fourtitude.com - 2019 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack vs. 2019 Kia Stinger GT: Which Sports Sedan Packs a Bigger Punch?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-16-2019 05:17 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post

I've been daily driving one for 6 1/2 years. In reality it's just somewhere in the middle. It's not great, but it's also nowhere near as bad as the dashstrokers make it out to be. If you want to be accurate, you can just say "average".
      "Average" is a dirty word around here. It's either the best or the worst. IMO, the 6.4L chargers and challengers are experience cars. They're modern enough, the interior is fine (average from a design perspective, just like my e92, imo). But the sound and experience of tooling around in one of these is really fun. They're not gt3 rs fun, but frankly the kind of fun that far more people will appreciate and can access. I don't know why I like my Jeep, but does it ever make me smile when i drive it. The 6.4l is a big part of it.

These cars have what euro old heads used to refer to as soul. I refer to it as charm. That's been lost in 90% of current european cars. Which is why my first big ticket new car purchase was not european.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-16-2019 05:32 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      "Average" is a dirty word around here. It's either the best or the worst. IMO, the 6.4L chargers and challengers are experience cars. They're modern enough, the interior is fine (average from a design perspective, just like my e92, imo). But the sound and experience of tooling around in one of these is really fun. They're not gt3 rs fun, but frankly the kind of fun that far more people will appreciate and can access. I don't know why I like my Jeep, but does it ever make me smile when i drive it. The 6.4l is a big part of it.

These cars have what euro old heads used to refer to as soul. I refer to it as charm. That's been lost in 90% of current european cars. Which is why my first big ticket new car purchase was not european.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      The sounds that the pedestrian 5.7L makes on a full throttle upshift with the factory exhaust in "sport" mode is absolutely giggle-inducing.

I really like the Charger and the Stinger and they're really different cars. You can't go wrong. It's a great time to be a car enthusiast. Two factory four-door cars that go like stink and have a ton of tech/comfort standard. You'd need to spend a lot of coin on something with a much "worse" interior to get this kind of fun ten years ago.

The Charger was like the opposite of my BRZ in how it delivered its fun. A lot of little doses everyday around town instead of a ton of "zen" for a few days each year on a track/perfect back road.

Cars
      2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack (Vortex user since 2002)
      10-16-2019 06:38 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      The sounds that the pedestrian 5.7L makes on a full throttle upshift with the factory exhaust in "sport" mode is absolutely giggle-inducing.
      You should hear the sound that the 6.4L makes full throttle in track mode. It's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. *sploosh*

... which is probably why my Scat Pack gets such horrible gas mileage. HaHaHa

5. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF, 2017 Genesis G90
      10-16-2019 10:11 PM #104
      I don't think anyone is knocking how fun or how much personality these cars have. People (journalists included) are calling out how below average the interior is relative to the competitors.

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      10-17-2019 08:01 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I don't think anyone is knocking how fun or how much personality these cars have. People (journalists included) are calling out how below average the interior is relative to the competitors.
      Still trying to knock it down even lower than "average" huh? Did a Charger run over your dog?

7. Member
      Cars
      10-17-2019 10:21 AM #106
      Still trying to knock it down even lower than "average" huh? Did a Charger run over your dog?
      When I think average, I think mainstream like the new Accord. The materials are okay and the interior design looks dated. Also, you missed the qualifier of "relative to its competition". So yeah, I would put it as below average.

Meanwhile, Dodge may have dropped an Easter egg on when we can expect the next Challenger/Charger:

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Cars and Trucks
      A few months ago, it was announced that the next generation Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger would be delayed from their projected 2021 model year release. Rumors at the time suggested that the new American muscle cars would instead arrive for the 2023 model year, but it seems that Dodge recently may have gone out of their way to quietly confirm this.

While looking over the press release photos for the 2020 Dodge Challenger, Mopar Insiders noticed that images of the car’s instrument cluster show 2023 miles on the odometer. While this could just be a coincidence, it is much more likely that wanted to drop fans of the muscle car a hint as to when they can expect the next generation car to hit the market.
      Source: https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...enger-by-2023/

For what it's worth, Dodge has done a great job of milking this platform and it looks like the Challenger/Charger will live on, whereas the Stinger's future is dubious.

Cars
      10-17-2019 10:42 AM #107
      When I think average, I think mainstream like the new Accord. The materials are okay and the interior design looks dated. Also, you missed the qualifier of "relative to its competition". So yeah, I would put it as below average.
      I didn't miss any of your "qualifiers", I just don't care. I'm not really sure why you keep returning to this thread to criticize a car that you don't own, except to tell those of us who actually own the car that our opinions are wrong about it.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      10-17-2019 11:26 AM #108

Meanwhile, Dodge may have dropped an Easter egg on when we can expect the next Challenger/Charger:

Source: https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...enger-by-2023/

For what it's worth, Dodge has done a great job of milking this platform and it looks like the Challenger/Charger will live on, whereas the Stinger's future is dubious.
      Given that Dodge often does this easter egg/teaser thing it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the odo mileage was entirely intentional.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

10. Member
      Cars
      10-17-2019 11:36 AM #109
      I didn't miss any of your "qualifiers", I just don't care. I'm not really sure why you keep returning to this thread to criticize a car that you don't own, except to tell those of us who actually own the car that our opinions are wrong about it.
      I'm sorry. I missed the part where we were not allowed to discuss one of a car's criticisms in a comparison test article. I will leave it at we will have to agree to disagree.

10-17-2019 01:04 PM #110
      Sorry, there's no way I'm picking a Stinger over the Charger. If I needed a Korean luxury sedan, I'd probably go out and find a used G70 3.3T instead.

12. 10-17-2019 02:00 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      The SS and G8 didn't sell well enough to stick around.
      I'm far from a GM fanboy, but I don't think this is correct.

One of the big reasons why the G8 GT/GXP and Chevy SS didn't sell in volume is because of corporate CAFE standards. GM didn't want to sell lots of V-8 cars when their CAFE wasn't high at the time. That plus the decision to shut down Holden's production in Australia. I know at the time of the Chevy SS launch, GM execs were stating CAFE as the reason why the SS was positioned as a low volume, premium car, as opposed to a more "family sedan" type product.

If I'm wrong, please correct me and post up the real story.

That being said, I'm glad the Charger is still around- the car doesn't really work for me (too big, too thirsty, too heavy) but I still want one, make mine a 392 of some sort (Scat Pack, Daytona, etc.).

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-17-2019 02:08 PM #112
      Pretty sure GM sold every SS and G8 they made. Neither were ever intended to sell in large numbers.

14. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-17-2019 02:49 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Pretty sure GM sold every SS and G8 they made to TCL members.
      It was incredible seeing everyone step up and actually buy one!
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      10-17-2019 03:13 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      That being said, I'm glad the Charger is still around- the car doesn't really work for me (too big, too thirsty, too heavy) but I still want one, make mine a 392 of some sort (Scat Pack, Daytona, etc.).
      That's not something I will debate.

The size and weight have grown a little tiresome over time. It's been fun owning what will probably be one of the last big V8 sedans, but my next vehicle will be at least a midsize instead of full size.

16. 10-17-2019 04:07 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      It was incredible seeing everyone step up and actually buy one!
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

17. 10-18-2019 12:00 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      I'm far from a GM fanboy, but I don't think this is correct.

One of the big reasons why the G8 GT/GXP and Chevy SS didn't sell in volume is because of corporate CAFE standards. GM didn't want to sell lots of V-8 cars when their CAFE wasn't high at the time. That plus the decision to shut down Holden's production in Australia. I know at the time of the Chevy SS launch, GM execs were stating CAFE as the reason why the SS was positioned as a low volume, premium car, as opposed to a more "family sedan" type product.

If I'm wrong, please correct me and post up the real story.

The SS was Thirstier than a Viper...

18. 10-18-2019 12:52 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post

No.

Just no.

Cars
      10-18-2019 02:27 PM #118
      My Charger Scat Pack is more thirsty... I average 9.9mpg's. (80% city driving, on 91 octane).

20. 10-18-2019 07:22 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      No.

Just no.
      https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...ge_Viper.shtml

15 combined MPG
      12 City MPG:
      21 Highway MPG:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...rolet_SS.shtml
      16 combined MPG
      14 City MPG
      20 Highway MPG

Remember this is a 640hp 8.4L V10 and it just about matches the figures for a 415hp V8.

and for added ****s & Giggles

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Charger.shtml (SRT 392)

18 combined MPG
      15 city MPG
      25 highway MPG

This is a Large 4400lb sedan with a low tech 485hp V8 and gets better mileage than a Lightweight Large 415hp Sedan.. .. Hellcats get the same Mileage as a SS.

21. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-18-2019 08:03 PM #120
      https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...ge_Viper.shtml

15 combined MPG
      12 City MPG:
      21 Highway MPG:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...rolet_SS.shtml
      16 combined MPG
      14 City MPG
      20 Highway MPG

Remember this is a 640hp 8.4L V10 and it just about matches the figures for a 415hp V8.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Charger.shtml (SRT 392)

18 combined MPG
      15 city MPG
      25 highway MPG

This is a Large 4400lb sedan with a low tech 485hp V8 and gets better mileage than a Lightweight Large 415hp Sedan.. .. Hellcats get the same Mileage as a SS.
      Ok
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2015 Chevy SS
      10-19-2019 09:28 AM #121
      6 speed vs 8 speed...and nobody buys either of these for their mileage, so who cares?

I’ve had my SS for 4 1/2 years now and am averaging 14.8 mpg. My commute though is short and a lot of stop and go.

No ****s given.
      Last edited by silverxt; 10-19-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Cars
      10-21-2019 12:04 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by silverxt View Post
      6 speed vs 8 speed...and nobody buys either of these for their mileage, so who cares?

I’ve had my SS for 4 1/2 years now and am averaging 14.8 mpg. My commute though is short and a lot of stop and go.

No ****s given.
      EXACTLY.... I knew what I was getting myself info and still didn't/don't care. It's totally worth it.

24. 10-21-2019 12:46 PM #123

I'm not quite sure of the point of this argument, since no one is claiming the SS (or any of these cars) sip fuel.

But boss man, if you really believe a Viper is getting better real world mileage than an SS, I don't know what to tell you.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/viper

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/ss

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345