Fourtitude.com - 2019 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack vs. 2019 Kia Stinger GT: Which Sports Sedan Packs a Bigger Punch?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cars
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      10-14-2019 11:07 AM #1
      https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...9-kia-stinger/

America's leading (and only) V-8 muscle sedan takes on Korea's upstart rear-drive hatchback in a battle of power versus poise.

The Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack and Kia Stinger GT exist for entirely different reasons and cater to entirely different audiences. Yet, they both have rear-wheel drive, powerful engines, starting prices around $40,000, four doors, and reasonably roomy rear seats. Sounds to us like the makings of a natural comparison test.

While Kia has pitched the Stinger as a direct shot at the BMW 3-series, it doesn't fit so neatly into the compact luxury-sport sedan segment. It's larger than many of the four-doors in that class, and its character is somewhat less than luxurious. If the Stinger were an athlete, it would play rugby rather than golf. While it can't quite be considered a muscle car—not least of all because it doesn't offer a V-8—we think it serves as an interesting foil for America's leading (and only) muscle sedan, the Charger.

The Matchup
      We might miss a V-8 more if the Stinger GT's twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V-6 weren't so strong. It makes 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque, and in our experience, it feels even more powerful than those numbers suggest. The base $40,915 GT model we tested doesn't bother with extraneous features available on the GT1 and GT2 trims, focusing instead on the standard performance bits such as a limited-slip differential and Brembo brakes. Without the optional all-wheel drive, this lightly optioned Stinger is somewhat of a featherweight, weighing 3921 pounds, or 236 pounds less than a fully loaded Stinger GT2 AWD we previously tested.

The Charger R/T Scat Pack sounds rowdy based on its name alone, and that rings true—even if it isn't the full-bore, supercharged SRT Hellcat model. With a massive naturally aspirated 6.4-liter V-8 underhood, the Dodge has the Kia beat on power, making 485 horses and 475 lb-ft of torque. This $45,930 example also came equipped with performance upgrades such as adaptive dampers, more aggressive 20-inch wheels and tires, and Brembo brakes. Like the Kia, it's also rear-wheel drive (all the better for smoky burnouts) and routes power through an eight-speed automatic transmission. Its big muscle advantage is offset somewhat by its mass, as it weighs in at a whopping 473 pounds heavier than the Kia.

On the Road
      The difference in size between these two cars is the single biggest factor in how they drive. Where the Charger is big and brutish, the Stinger is agile and nimble. The Dodge feels twice as wide on narrow twisty roads, even though it's only 1.4 inches wider in actuality. This makes it somewhat less eager to change direction than the Stinger, which exhibits sharp turn-in responses and a nice sense of balance. But that's not to say the Charger doesn't know how to dance. It's fun to drive in its own special way, with satisfyingly heavy steering and a high grip threshold. The Dodge's extra weight also makes it feel more planted and buttoned-down than the Kia, which lacks a measure of wheel control on bumpier roads that sometimes can make it feel skittish.

At the test track, the burly Dodge surprised us by beating the Stinger in both lateral grip (0.95 g to the Kia's 0.92 g) and in 70-to-zero-mph braking; the Dodge came to a halt in a short 150 feet, or nine feet longer than the Stinger could manage. Tires are certainly a factor here. Both cars were fitted with summer tires, with the Charger shod with aggressive 275-width Pirelli P Zero rubber all around, and the Stinger sporting a staggered Michelin Pilot Sport 4 setup with 225-width tires in the front and 255s in the rear.

Subtlety is not the Charger's strong suit. The Hemi V-8 makes a stir everywhere it goes, with a distinctive roar that turns heads and a loud exhaust that has a way of disturbing the peace. It's not all for show, either, as the Charger bolted from zero to 60 mph in an impressive 3.9 seconds, outmuscling the Kia's still quick 4.4-second run by a half second. The margin is similar through the quarter mile, where the Dodge runs 12.3 seconds at 115 mph versus the Stinger's 12.9-second pass at 110 mph.

When you're not at the drag strip, though, the Dodge struggles to puts its power down smoothly. Its throttle feels like an on-off switch, making it hard to roll into the V-8's generous torque without overdoing it. The Kia's considerably quieter V-6 may not have the presence or charisma of a V-8, but it responds to throttle inputs more naturally, giving it a lively feel without being jumpy. The twin turbochargers spool up quickly, and its eight-speed transmission kicks down effortlessly, meaning the Stinger gains speed with more poise and precision than the Dodge's brute-force approach. Plus, to no one's surprise, the Stinger dominated the Charger in fuel economy. The V-6–powered Kia sipped fuel at a rate of 23 miles per gallon compared to the V-8 Dodge's 17 mpg.

Subtlety is not the Charger's strong suit. The Hemi V-8 makes a stir everywhere it goes, with a distinctive roar that turns heads and a loud exhaust that has a way of disturbing the peace. It's not all for show, either, as the Charger bolted from zero to 60 mph in an impressive 3.9 seconds, outmuscling the Kia's still quick 4.4-second run by a half second. The margin is similar through the quarter mile, where the Dodge runs 12.3 seconds at 115 mph versus the Stinger's 12.9-second pass at 110 mph.

When you're not at the drag strip, though, the Dodge struggles to puts its power down smoothly. Its throttle feels like an on-off switch, making it hard to roll into the V-8's generous torque without overdoing it. The Kia's considerably quieter V-6 may not have the presence or charisma of a V-8, but it responds to throttle inputs more naturally, giving it a lively feel without being jumpy. The twin turbochargers spool up quickly, and its eight-speed transmission kicks down effortlessly, meaning the Stinger gains speed with more poise and precision than the Dodge's brute-force approach. Plus, to no one's surprise, the Stinger dominated the Charger in fuel economy. The V-6–powered Kia sipped fuel at a rate of 23 miles per gallon compared to the V-8 Dodge's 17 mpg.

The Inside View
      As ostentatious and attention-grabbing as it is on the outside, especially in our test car's attractive F8 Green paint, the Charger's interior is decidedly dour and unimpressive. Our test car was equipped with ordinary-looking cloth upholstery with a houndstooth pattern, and the dashboard materials fall closer to the rental-car end of the spectrum than you'd think given its $40K-plus pricing. The Stinger is luxurious in contrast and comes closer to living up to its pricing with a far more modern-looking dashboard design and eye-catching red leather upholstery.

The Dodge's cabin feels claustrophobic, although the rear seats are comfortable thanks to thickly padded cushions. The Stinger's rear quarters feel airier and more spacious, although the seat's bottom cushion is too low to be truly comfortable for adults, and there's not much foot room under the front seats. The Charger has a big trunk for a sedan, at 17 cubic feet, but the Stinger's capacious 23-cubic-foot hatchback beats it soundly.

Both cars feature easy-to-use infotainment systems. The Dodge's 8.4-inch touchscreen uses Fiat Chrysler's logically laid-out Uconnect software and responds quickly to prods from your fingers. The Stinger's smaller 7.0-inch touchscreen is not as visually impressive, but it, too, has a menu structure that's simple to navigate. Higher Stinger trim levels come with a larger touchscreen and a digital instrument cluster, but we didn't miss those extras much given how well everything works inside the Kia.

The Bottom Line
      How you feel about the difference in price between the $45,930 Dodge and the $40,915 Kia will depend on what you're willing to pay for. The Charger has the clear edge in terms of outright performance, and it's exactly as loud, mean, and brash as a V-8–powered American sedan should be—even more so if you opt for the Scat Pack's new-for-2020 widebody package that adds fender flares and even fatter tires. If a true muscle car is what you're after, it's the only choice here.

But for several thousand dollars less, the Kia strikes us as the better-rounded choice of the two, with performance numbers only slightly behind the Dodge's and a more premium demeanor and distinctive appearance that make it feel like a considerably more special vehicle overall. Although we appreciate the Dodge's in-your-face attitude, it's the Stinger's more nuanced approach to sports-sedan excellence that sways us.

2019 Kia Stinger GT

VEHICLE TYPE
      front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED
      $40,915 (base price: $40,295)

ENGINE TYPE
      twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
      Displacement
      204 cu in, 3342 cc
      Power
      365 hp @ 6000 rpm
      Torque
      376 lb-ft @ 1300 rpm

TRANSMISSION
      8-speed automatic

CHASSIS
      Suspension (F/R): struts/multilink
      Brakes (F/R): 13.8-in vented disc/13.4-in vented disc
      Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4, F:225/40R-19 (93Y) R:255/35R-19 (96Y)

DIMENSIONS
      Wheelbase: 114.4 in
      Length: 190.2 in
      Width: 73.6 in
      Height: 55.1 in
      Passenger volume: 96 cu ft
      Cargo volume: 23 cu ft
      Curb weight: 3921 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS
      Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
      Zero to 100 mph: 10.7 sec
      Zero to 130 mph: 18.7 sec
      Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.9 sec
      Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.5 sec
      Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.0 sec
      Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 110 mph
      Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 167 mph
      Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
      Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

C/D
      FUEL ECONOMY
      Observed: 23 mpg
      75-mph highway driving: 27 mpg
      Highway range: 420 miles

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
      Combined/city/highway: 20/17/25 mpg

2020 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack

VEHICLE TYPE
      front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED
      $45,930 (base price: $41,740)

ENGINE TYPE
      pushrod 16-valve V-8, iron block and aluminum heads, port fuel injection
      Displacement
      392 cu in, 6417 cc
      Power
      485 hp @ 6100 rpm
      Torque
      475 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm

TRANSMISSION
      8-speed automatic

CHASSIS
      Suspension (F/R): multilink/multilink
      Brakes (F/R): 15.4-in vented, grooved disc/13.8-in vented, grooved disc
      Tires: Pirelli P Zero, 275/40R20 (106Y)

DIMENSIONS
      Wheelbase: 120.0 in
      Length: 200.8 in
      Width: 75.0 in
      Height: 57.8 in
      Passenger volume: 104 cu ft
      Trunk volume: 17 cu ft
      Curb weight: 4394 lb

C/D
      TEST RESULTS
      Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
      Zero to 100 mph: 9.1 sec
      Zero to 130 mph: 15.9 sec
      Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.3 sec
      Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.2 sec
      Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.6 sec
      Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 115 mph
      Top speed (drag limited, mfr's est): 175 mph
      Braking, 70–0 mph: 158 ft
      Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.95 g

C/D
      FUEL ECONOMY
      Observed: 17 mpg
      75-mph highway driving: 25 mpg
      Highway range: 460 miles

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
      Combined/city/highway: 18/15/24 mpg

Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-14-2019 11:17 AM #2
      My lizard brain wants a Skat Pack Widebody VERY badly. But my more practical side tells me the Stinger's lower price plus AWD makes it a better choice for me up here in Vermont.

3. 10-14-2019 11:23 AM #3
      I would take the Scat Pack.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      10-14-2019 05:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      My lizard brain wants a Skat Pack Widebody VERY badly...
      My lizard brain wants the 'Murican V8 sedan (even with the rental car interior), before they're gone for good.

My practical brain says none of the above.
      Epstein is alive.

Cars
      2018 VW Golf R - Tornado Red - APR Stage 2
      10-14-2019 11:28 AM #5
      stinger for me in this comparison. I find the stinger turns my head more, looks really great and sounds good, I like the mod path for it, and like the AWD.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the odd reflectors that wrap around the side from the rear brake assembly. Why??? I feel like it ruins the styling. Takes A- down to solid B for me.

I would color match that to hide it more, but there will still be some body lines that make it somewhat obvious.

6. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      10-14-2019 12:26 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SLYMK6 View Post

The only thing I don’t like about it is the odd reflectors that wrap around the side from the rear brake assembly. Why??? I feel like it ruins the styling. Takes A- down to solid B for me.
      Because those reflectors are required by law.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      2018 VW Golf R - Tornado Red - APR Stage 2
      10-14-2019 12:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Because those reflectors are required by law.
      Right, the incorporation felt like an afterthought. Like, “Wait, don’t we need those things on the rear sides?” It’s the only thing that throws off otherwise stellar styling.

I am sure in the next update of the car it won’t stick out like an afterthought.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      10-14-2019 01:16 PM #8
      Tough choice here. The interior of the Dodge sucks unless you pay for the package that includes the dash "stitching" which helps. But not much.

You only live once - I'd take the Scat because big V8.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

9. Member
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      10-16-2019 02:08 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Tough choice here. The interior of the Dodge sucks unless you pay for the package that includes the dash "stitching" which helps. But not much.

You only live once - I'd take the Scat because big V8.
      Yup. This is amplified by the fact that once the Charger is gone, the big V8 RWD sedan will be gone forever. The SS and G8 didn't sell well enough to stick around. Once the Charger is redone, the new platform will not be V8 friendly. Mustang and Camaro will likely continue but neither of them is a big 4 door family-friendly vehicle. The future is electric long term, turbocharged 4 or 6 in the short term...thumping V8s are on borrowed time and the only reason the Charger/Challenger even exist in 2020 is because cash-strapped FCA can't afford to replace them. Had they been made by a good car company, they'd be on a second or even third platform by now.

Charger Scat Pak in F8green. Not that fast, but a lovely relic of a time long gone, and like an old warship with a proud history being de-commissioned, carries fond memories forever.

10-14-2019 01:13 PM #10
      My head says liftback body, AWD, and better interior, Stinger FTW.

My heart wants to sit in the Scat Pack and do cold starts in my garage all day.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      10-14-2019 01:17 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      My head says liftback body, AWD, and better interior, Stinger FTW.

My heart wants to sit in the Scat Pack and do cold starts in my garage all day.
      Pretty much. Except the one they tested was RWD.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

12. 10-14-2019 01:20 PM #12
      I just drove an AWD Stinger GT and it was awesome. I am also a big fan of the Charger but have only tried the 5.7L flavor.

For me, the Stinger wins. I am currently debating a Stinger, Guilia, or Model 3 to replace both the Focus and BRZ. They are all awesome in different ways. Charger was on the list but it falls short of these three in driving dynamics and cannot be had in AWD+V8 anymore.

Cars
      2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack (Vortex user since 2002)
      10-14-2019 02:47 PM #13
      I was debating between these two cars... 2019 Kia Stinger GT-2 vs. 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack (with Daytona Package).

After test driving both and going over the pros & cons, it was an easy decision... I went with the Charger Scat Pack. With my credit union's auto-broker connections and discounts, I got the Charger with almost every option possible for $48.5K OTD. The Stinger GT-2 would have been $51K OTD.

Sure... the Kia has a (slightly) nicer interior & better warranty, but my heart wanted the Charger... I felt way more "connected" with it. The pure brut-force power, the intoxicating exhaust rumble, the MUCH better sound system... I was sold. I just didn't feel any REAL excitement when driving the Stinger. Sure, it's fast, low to the ground, but something just felt like it was "missing." Also, at the time I was in the market to buy, you could ONLY get a red interior with a black exterior with the Stinger GT-2 package and that was a HUGE deal-breaker for me. Black on black for me only.

Anyway... LOVE my Charger. It puts a HUGE smile on my face every time I drive it and I'm constantly getting compliments on it.
      Last edited by HorrorPunk; 10-14-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-14-2019 12:25 PM #14
      This is a mind vs heart thing for me. I want the charger more, but the stinger is cheaper to buy and more fuel efficient while still putting down decent numbers. The last 3 cars I bought had v8s, so that's probably where I would lean in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cars
      2007 VW Jetta GLI
      10-14-2019 12:29 PM #15
      I would take the Kia too, but they should have wiped down the engine bay for the pic. It looks flithy.
      Something about buying a Chrysler product still doesn't sit well with me.

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      10-14-2019 12:29 PM #16
      Performance in me says go for the scat pack. But my wallet in my pocket says go for the Stinger. Hmmm. Who has bigger discounts/rebates?
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 10-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      10-14-2019 12:39 PM #17
      Dodge is running some slick deals on the current scat line-up. I drove a hellcat charger recently and let me say they are absolutely like driving a giant burning hot sledgehammer around - it is incredibly satisfying.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

18. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      10-14-2019 12:35 PM #18
      Stinger.

Better seating position
      Hatch
      Cheaper
      Doesn't make everyone slam on their brakes in front of you because you might be a cop...

10-14-2019 03:23 PM #19
      Used stingers are going to be a great buy in a few years

20. Member
      Cars
      REALLY gave up and bought an Outback
      10-14-2019 03:38 PM #20
      I had a rental spec Charger R/T with the smaller V8 a few months ago and it was one of the most fun vehicles I've driven in a long time. Even with super cheap gas and all-season tires, it went fast, sounded INCREDIBLE, and felt incredibly solid. The way it handled bumps in the road was intoxicating, but it still went around corners plenty well for this SUV driving idiot. I absolutely got online and priced out Scat Packs after that experience.

The green on this example looks so good. If I were a little less reliant on off-road capabilities, I'd absolutely drive a Charger. Autotragic and all. We'll look back someday and reminisce on how good those things were. The mass accessibility of that level of V8 and chassis solidity is something we probably won't ever see again.

Cars
      06 4runner
      10-14-2019 05:04 PM #21
      I have a 18 Charger R/T with the Daytona Package and I wouldn't buy a Charger without that package. I actually like the interior. The sports seats are are lot nicer then the standard seats in the R/T. The dashboard is still hard plastic, which I could see being a turnoff by some, but for $35K I can't really complain (It looks like the scat pack has a padded dash).

Cars
      2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack (Vortex user since 2002)
      10-14-2019 05:20 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hatch View Post
      The dashboard is still hard plastic, which I could see being a turnoff by some, but for $35K I can't really complain (It looks like the scat pack has a padded dash).
      The new "live-stitch" dash option is a MUST. It makes a huge difference and is really nice... I love it on my Charger.

23. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      10-14-2019 05:30 PM #23
      Not that it surprises me but I can see why Car & Driver calls the Charger's interior "rental car" especially compared to the Stinger's.

24. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      10-14-2019 05:14 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Used stingers are going to be a great buy in a few years
      With a warranty most probably attached to them (5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain) it's gotta be a safer deal than anything from FCA (3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain)

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-14-2019 07:41 PM #25
      Not to mention the screen placement based on the pics is so much nicer in the dodge. I hate with a passion the stuck-on-tablet look. Not being able to integrate the screen into the design of the dashboard looks horribly dated and cheap---and yeah, I feel the same way about audis and mercedes with the tablet look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast