Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      '16 Golf R MT - '80 Jetta coupe
      10-08-2019 04:04 PM #1
      Hello all !

I am a senior studying Product / Industrial Design and am looking into the driving experience and the future of automotive technology. To kick off my research I have made a quick open ended google survey.

https://forms.gle/JviAYsDJ5J72fNSU6

I would appreciate your time and input!

P.S. I have a MK7 R and it really bothers me when my car decides it slam the brakes for me when going around a car turning off the road.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      10-08-2019 09:33 PM #2
      Done.

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      10-08-2019 10:16 PM #3
      surprisingly fun

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-08-2019 11:08 PM #4
      Done
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, 2005 Century, something else
      10-08-2019 11:16 PM #5
      Good Luck with your research. The two articles that might be of interest to you are:

This is from 2013 but still highly relevant.
      "Driver Distraction: Are We Mistaking a Symptom for the Problem?" by David Curry, John Meyer, Aaron Jones

http://en.sae.org/technical-papers/2013-01-0439/

And then:

Although a pilot study: Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17085632

The manual transmission one was conducted in a simulator, not the real world.
      Abstract
      OBJECTIVE:
      Inattention is a major contributor to driving mishaps and is especially problematic among adolescent drivers with ADHD, possibly contributing to their 2 to 4 times higher incidence of collisions. Manual transmission has been demonstrated to be associated with greater arousal. This study tests the hypotheses that manual transmission, compared to automatic transmission, would be associated with better attention and performance on a driving simulator.

METHOD:
      Ten adolescent drivers with ADHD practice driving on the simulator in the manual and automatic mode. Employing a single-blind, cross-over design, participants drive the simulator at 19:30 and 22:30 hr for 30 min in both transmissions and rate their attention to driving.

RESULTS:
      Subjectively, participants report being more attentive while driving in manual transmission mode. Objectively, participants drive safer in the manual transmission mode.

CONCLUSION:
      Although in need of replication, this pilot study suggests a behavioral intervention to improve driving performance among ADHD adolescents.

Cars
      '16 Golf R MT - '80 Jetta coupe
      10-08-2019 11:45 PM #6
      Thank you!!!! I am up to 24 submissions and starting to see some themes.

The best part of this project is that we chose where we started and I enjoy all things cars so I am starting at the driving experience and what future technology means to it. They can take out pistons but they won’t take out joy!

8. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      10-08-2019 11:56 PM #7
      done.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

9. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      10-09-2019 12:09 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      done.
      This.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      10-09-2019 01:00 AM #9
      Submitted. Hope you share the results with us when you’re done.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

10-09-2019 08:10 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
      They can take out pistons but they won’t take out joy!
      Yes "they" can. Legacy vehicles have long been grandfathered when regulations change. That doesn't mean it will always be the case. It's not difficult to imagine a day soon when highly automated vehicles are demonstrably orders of magnitude safer than human drivers. Nevermind the strong consumer demand to be released from the burdens of driving. Public roads (if there even are such things in the future) may be limited to such highly automated vehicles. Those of us who enjoy legacy vehicles may be relegated to low-speed parades or exclusive country club type environments (think Monticello or The Thermal Club or Motorsport Ranch).

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      10-09-2019 09:18 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Yes "they" can. Legacy vehicles have long been grandfathered when regulations change. That doesn't mean it will always be the case. It's not difficult to imagine a day soon when highly automated vehicles are demonstrably orders of magnitude safer than human drivers. Nevermind the strong consumer demand to be released from the burdens of driving. Public roads (if there even are such things in the future) may be limited to such highly automated vehicles. Those of us who enjoy legacy vehicles may be relegated to low-speed parades or exclusive country club type environments (think Monticello or The Thermal Club or Motorsport Ranch).
      Isn't that already the case with vintage cars? A modern car is demonstrably orders of magnitude safer than a Model T, but you are free to drive your Model T on public roads.

13. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      10-09-2019 09:20 AM #12
      I’d rather die than to be able to not be able to hop in a car and wander where I please.

10-09-2019 09:29 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Isn't that already the case with vintage cars? A modern car is demonstrably orders of magnitude safer than a Model T, but you are free to drive your Model T on public roads.
      That's a 20th century way of thinking. Vision Zero is pushing governments to do more than they have in the past to reduce deaths and injuries. When we reach the tipping point where much of the fleet already consists of highly automated vehicles, it will be much easier to justify getting rid of the few remaining legacy vehicles. There is also an environmental argument to be made that even if all vehicles are battery electric, an automated vehicle is more efficient than a human driver at conserving energy. It may not happen this decade or next decade. But for certain by the later half of this century.

10-09-2019 09:30 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I’d rather die than to be able to not be able to hop in a car and wander where I please.
      Driving is a privilege, not a right. Change is inevitable. Humans will adapt. That won't stop people from whining about it though.

16. 10-09-2019 09:39 AM #15
      Done; good luck on the project!

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      10-09-2019 09:52 AM #16
      That's a 20th century way of thinking. Vision Zero is pushing governments to do more than they have in the past to reduce deaths and injuries. When we reach the tipping point where much of the fleet already consists of highly automated vehicles, it will be much easier to justify getting rid of the few remaining legacy vehicles. There is also an environmental argument to be made that even if all vehicles are battery electric, an automated vehicle is more efficient than a human driver at conserving energy. It may not happen this decade or next decade. But for certain by the later half of this century.
      It's not even certain that fully automated cars will become common in the next few decades. I'm old enough to remember predictions in the early 1990s that we'd all have robot housekeepers soon. I'm still waiting for my robotic housekeeper, and no a roomba is not what they were predicting. I'm not old enough to remember the 1960s, but jet packs and flying cars were supposed to be coming soon back then. All of those technologies (robot housekeepers, jet packs, flying cars) sort of exist, but the technology never overcame the final obstacles to mass adoption.

Automated cars will certainly become common in limited applications, but it may be a very long time until you can walk into any car dealer and leave in a vehicle with level 5 autonomy. Technology always advances, but not always in the direction people think. The next transformative tech may be something that few are talking about today.

18. Member
      Cars
      2012 A4, 1995 Miata. RIP: 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      10-09-2019 10:01 AM #17
      Very cool, thanks for doing this. It allowed me to pause and reflect on why I like driving so much. It's an abstract answer, and I hope that I helped. Please share your results once you have them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

19. Member
      Cars
      2016 GMC ACADIA / 2006 S2000
      10-09-2019 10:08 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Automated cars will certainly become common in limited applications, but it may be a very long time until you can walk into any car dealer and leave in a vehicle with level 5 autonomy. Technology always advances, but not always in the direction people think. The next transformative tech may be something that few are talking about today.
      I agree. I believe that before cars can become 100% autonomous, they will have to have roads built specifically for them. And that will take decades. Also- I don't believe automated cars are being made to make things safer- its just to keep people's hands free so they can keep clicking away on their phones, ordering things on amazon.

20. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      10-09-2019 10:13 AM #19
      Driving is a privilege, not a right. Change is inevitable. Humans will adapt. That won't stop people from whining about it though.
      I didn’t say anything about rights, hold your horses cowboy.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-09-2019 10:21 AM #20
      Done and thank you for considering this!

Here is the story I referenced - A Nice Morning Drive

I think we all just want to drive. It's joyful.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-09-2019 10:36 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by bc View Post
      "Driver Distraction: Are We Mistaking a Symptom for the Problem?" by David Curry, John Meyer, Aaron Jones

http://en.sae.org/technical-papers/2013-01-0439/

And then:

Although a pilot study: Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17085632
      Thank you for the links, @bc. The pilot study is very good reading. The SAE article should be mandatory reading. I've run across it before.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Cars
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      10-09-2019 11:30 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
      Submitted. Hope you share the results with us when you’re done.
      This ! I would also like to know the results.

Op great survey. Made me really think about why i enjoy driving. I sent it to a couple buddies.

24. Junior Member Cradle2theDave's Avatar
      Cars
      German, 'Murican
      10-09-2019 11:37 AM #23
      Done

Cars
      7 Speed RGASM
      10-09-2019 11:37 AM #24
      Did the thing

Keep us posted on the results.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-09-2019 12:07 PM #25
      I also did the thing.

Curious how the "Anything you're not looking forward to?" question turns out.

I put lack of noise from engine.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast