Fourtitude.com - Point Me or Help Guide Me on P0301 Issue or Misfire (no Flame, i searched)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 10-06-2019 05:30 PM #1
      Daughters 2012 Tiguan, 2.0, SEL Premium with AWD, bought used at 70,000. No issues until last four months. It had a P0299 start about 30 days after purchase but never seemed to be an issue. OBDII code reader said underboost but live diagnostics with Torque and right foot italian tune up or test always showed positive boost levels and it ran like it should.

Two weeks before leaving for college it threw a P0301, did some shuddering at start up a few times, and went away. No CEL flash. By now we are at 85,000 miles, OIC interval is good, full syn, not burning hardly anything. Used to us with good history records.

So.

Replaced all four spark plugs with a new set of NGks pregapped rom DAP and a new Bosch coil for Cyl 1. Did well for four weeks. No misfire, no shake, no CEL. If it did show a CEL, you could clear and it would run fine for 3-5 days. No flashing CEL or any CEL most days. You could get on interstate and romp at 90+.

Three weeks later it flashes CEL at ignition, and ignition only, briefly, disappears and then sometimes retains a CEL or doesn't but still has shake at startup and doesnt like going beyond 4K . It also threw P0300 and P0301 for two days but I've now put three additional Bosch Coils in and moved the new replacement installed four weeks ago from Cylinder 1 to 4 and put a new coil in on Cylinder 1. P0300 is gone. No change in code readings other than P0300 has disappeared and never returned. After the three new coils and swap it ran just fine for 4 days. No code, no shimmy or shake. Then....it went sideways again.

It still flashes a CEL light at start-up for like 2 seconds and never stays, idles up kinda rough, then comes down and smooths, doesnt always throw a code, doesnt like to roll beyond 4k but does some rough idle and engine pull. The flashing CEL never remains. Its short and gone.

I've checked harness wiring to coils and they seem fine. Nothing loose. Fuel MPG is roughly usual but can't clarify since she does not drive it every day. Oil level still good. It does not want to rev above 4K on highway though according to her. I may have to check. No other cylinder misfire code was ever present.

Any help is thanked in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-06-2019 05:32 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by jefftb View Post
      Daughters 2012 Tiguan, 2.0, SEL Premium with AWD, bought used at 70,000. No issues until last four months. It had a P0299 start about 30 days after purchase but never seemed to be an issue. OBDII code reader said underboost but live diagnostics with Torque and right foot italian tune up or test always showed positive boost levels and it ran like it should.

Two weeks before leaving for college it threw a P0301, did some shuddering at start up a few times, and went away. No CEL flash. By now we are at 85,000 miles, OIC interval is good, full syn, not burning hardly anything. Used to us with good history records.

So.

Replaced all four spark plugs with a new set of NGks pregapped rom DAP and a new Bosch coil for Cyl 1. Did well for four weeks. No misfire, no shake, no CEL. If it did show a CEL, you could clear and it would run fine for 3-5 days. No flashing CEL or any CEL most days. You could get on interstate and romp at 90+.

Three weeks later it flashes CEL at ignition, and ignition only, briefly, disappears and then sometimes retains a CEL or doesn't but still has shake at startup and doesnt like going beyond 4K . It also threw P0300 and P0301 for two days but I've now put three additional Bosch Coils in and moved the new replacement installed four weeks ago from Cylinder 1 to 4 and put a new coil in on Cylinder 1. P0300 is gone. No change in code readings other than P0300 has disappeared and never returned. After the three new coils and swap it ran just fine for 4 days. No code, no shimmy or shake. Then....it went sideways again.

It still flashes a CEL light at start-up for like 2 seconds and never stays, idles up kinda rough, then comes down and smooths, doesnt always throw a code, doesnt like to roll beyond 4k but does some rough idle and engine pull. The flashing CEL never remains. Its short and gone.

I've checked harness wiring to coils and they seem fine. Nothing loose. Fuel MPG is roughly usual but can't clarify since she does not drive it every day. Oil level still good. It does not want to rev above 4K on highway though according to her. I may have to check. No other cylinder misfire code was ever present.

Any help is thanked in advance.
      FYI....the P0301 did not move with the coil move. Swap coils and it stays at P0301.

4. Member
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      10-07-2019 12:47 AM #3
      Since you've replaced the plugs and moved the coil and the problem didn't follow, I wonder if the coil connector is bad? Might be something to research?

I know this says it's not for the Tiguan but this is what I mean. https://www.shopdap.com/vw-audi-igni...4b0973724.html
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, HPA DSG tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      10-07-2019 01:31 AM #4
      It sounds like carbon on the intake valves. It will cause misfires and rough idle on start up because the carbon is hard. As it gets warmer, it will run better because the carbon softens up.

I would also recommend replacing the PCV assembly at that milage as preventative maintenance. When the PCV diaphragm goes bad, it causes low boost codes, misfires, and will also blow the rear main seal out. 80-100$ now can save you 1000$ later.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

7. 10-10-2019 05:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      It sounds like carbon on the intake valves. It will cause misfires and rough idle on start up because the carbon is hard. As it gets warmer, it will run better because the carbon softens up.

I would also recommend replacing the PCV assembly at that milage as preventative maintenance. When the PCV diaphragm goes bad, it causes low boost codes, misfires, and will also blow the rear main seal out. 80-100$ now can save you 1000$ later.
      Yeah, I was worried about possible carbon build on valves being a possibility . PCV was replaced 16,000 miles ago for reasons listed.

I will look into the harness at this point as well.
      Last edited by jefftb; 10-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.