Fourtitude.com - Lexus GX460 - Learn me and is it worth it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 03:02 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by HMCS JK View Post
      A “known” issue on the 470 is the main seals are getting old and pretty fragile. My seal went, and took the alternator with it. I had to replace the seals, alternator, and timing belt/water pump. $1700 later, I’m looking at 5ish more years of problem-free driving.

Some things to consider: infotainment is comically bad. You can get a factory BT module for streaming, but I just use a Bluetooth streamer that plugs into the AUX port. I was fine with the barn door until I tried loading the truck after a Costco run during a severe thunderstorm: you and the hatch are completely exposed to the elements. My mileage with +1 A/T tires is in the 10-13 range (all city) and the BEST highway mpg I’ve seen was 15-16. I have yet to see a GX470 without noticeable wear on the leather of the driver’s seat and the steering wheel.

Some advice I read when I got mine: get the 3-row b/c you’ll also get rear a/c, which is a lifesaver in the summer. I took out the 3rd row seats when I got it and never put them back in (it seriously impedes on cargo space). If you want to add an aftermarket head unit with modern goodies, don’t get one with NAV. There was a TSB for a driveline thunk and dealers were replacing driveshafts for free. Mine was never done, so every once in a while, it’ll lurch forward at a stop light (it feels like someone tapped you from behind). The rear air suspension WILL leak/break; you can replace them with coils for pretty cheap.

All in all, it’s been a good truck and if you’re willing to put up with all its faults (awful mileage, barn door during storms, expensive timing belt), it should last you a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'll agree with all of this.

The infotainment got an interface upgrade in 2006 (I think) which helps a bit, but still feels dated. The early UI is usable, but not pleasant.

HMCS: Check your odometer calibration compared to a GPS app for distance. When I went +1 on tires my speedo wasn't off, but my odometer reads 5.5% slow so I'm really getting 5.5% better fuel economy. Also, try cleaning your MAF and running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (I like the Lucas stuff) to gain some empeegees back. It helped my GX.

The third row AC is pretty nice if you have any passengers in the middle or back rows. Mine also has the DVD player which comes in handy for kiddos on long trips.

Toyota drivelines can get sticky due to old grease, a clean and thorough re-grease will help clunks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 03:08 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I’d just get a 4Runner. Toyota cheaper service, parts, same or better reliability(less electronics), marginally better mpgs, and cloth/leatherette durability.

The leather in older versions of this and the GX are likely badly worn, if not torn by now....
      I can't disagree with this either.

Optimally, I would have bought a facelifted V8 4Runner Limited which was a small fraction of 2006-2009 trucks. Good examples were unobtanium at the time and still are for the most part.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      10-04-2019 03:15 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I can't disagree with this either.

Optimally, I would have bought a facelifted V8 4Runner Limited which was a small fraction of 2006-2009 trucks. Good examples were unobtanium at the time and still are for the most part.
      I suggested the same, but a 5th gen. When I shopped around, unless you really want a GX for its for factor, style, 7 seats, or interior, the 4Runner is just as good for less, and is cheaper to operate, and has tons of parts. On my 5th gen, I installed the Car Trim Home T9 9" Android unit that also has Carplay (wired and wireless), and it looks, drives, and feels like a brand new truck.

The 4th gen V8s are awesome too, and as you've pointed out, they are basically unicorns for are going for far too much. The benefit of a 2014+ (facelifted) 4R is that it still looks news, especially since the 2020s are pretty much the same still.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 03:17 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I suggested the same, but a 5th gen. When I shopped around, unless you really want a GX for its for factor, style, 7 seats, or interior, the 4Runner is just as good for less, and is cheaper to operate, and has tons of parts. On my 5th gen, I installed the Car Trim Home T9 9" Android unit that also has Carplay (wired and wireless), and it looks, drives, and feels like a brand new truck.

The 4th gen V8s are awesome too, and as you've pointed out, they are basically unicorns for are going for far too much. The benefit of a 2014+ (facelifted) 4R is that it still looks news, especially since the 2020s are pretty much the same still.
      Yeah, I would have considered 5th Gens but at the time they were out of my budget by at least $5k. Today would be a different story.

6. Member
      Cars
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      10-04-2019 04:33 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

TFL stuff out of the way, what's the collective opinion on a Lexus GX? Can someone clarify the difference between the GX460 and GX470 (besides "ten")?
      I got tired of looking at $12K+ 15yr old Toyotas with 200K miles, so I went the Geman direction and have been extremely pleased with my Daimler Durango. Diesel power, great reliability, fantastic air ride, 24mpg HWY - nuf said. This GL320 CDI with 90K miles was $14K

Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      10-04-2019 04:43 PM #31
      ^
      I hoped you peppered your angus. The DPF and EGR can be costly...does it have air suspension?

Cars
      91 Galant VR-4, 01 S2000, 12 CTS-V Wagon
      10-04-2019 05:45 PM #32
      Bought a GX470 at the beginning of the year after reading about it here. Mine had 169k miles on it when I bought it and currently sits at 173k. Besides some deferred maintenance I did after buying it, I've had no problems.

I was specifically looking for a GX (baby Land Cruiser!), but at the time it seemed that they were going for less than a comparable 4Runner. That might not be the case any more though.

Since buying it I have used it to carry sod, filled the cargo hold with bagged mulch, carried hundreds of pounds of landscaping rocks, and towed a 6x12 Uhaul trailer for 300 miles. Mine still has the rear air suspension which was really helpful for load-leveling. So for me, it was totally worth it. Even at its current mileage, the interior is rattle free.

Some things to look out for - these do suffer from frame rust like the Tacomas (but no recall). I picked my truck up in TX specifically because it was a rust-free example. They tend to get seized brake pistons and end up warping rotors. When I got mine, all 4 rotors were badly warped. I swapped out the front calipers for a pair from a GX460 (~100 for the pair) and GX460 rotors. Supposedly an upgrade.

In terms of tech, mine has the Mark Levinson with the ancient nav screen. I got a Grom VLine2 - essentially an Android computer that interfaces with the stock screen. It adds Carplay and Android Auto as well and makes the tech more up-to-date.

As for the GX470 vs the GX460, the 460 is the next generation after the 470. All different versions of the 460 have just been facelifts, but the 470 was a distinctly different model.
      Past: 08.5 Mazdaspeed3 | 96 Buick Roadmaster Estate | 84 Mercedes 300D | 04 Mazda3 5-dr | 91 Mitsubishi GVR4 | 88 Sterling 825SL | 87 Sterling 825S | 86 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

9. Member
      Cars
      2017 R
      10-04-2019 10:21 PM #33
      HMCS: Check your odometer calibration compared to a GPS app for distance. When I went +1 on tires my speedo wasn't off, but my odometer reads 5.5% slow so I'm really getting 5.5% better fuel economy. Also, try cleaning your MAF and running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (I like the Lucas stuff) to gain some empeegees back. It helped my GX.

Toyota drivelines can get sticky due to old grease, a clean and thorough re-grease will help clunks.
      Awesome, thanks for the tip! I will def look into both of these. Oddly enough, my old Grabber tires read +5mph at 75 but my new Grappler tires are only +2 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      11-07-2019 02:30 PM #34
      I'm revisiting this thread because I'm starting to home in on a GX470 to replace my Mini. I will miss the mileage of the Mini, but it has hit that German Car Threshold where it seems to be falling apart all at once, and I just can't take it anymore. I could really go for some of that Toyota reliability right about now. I'm shopping for GXs at Lexus dealers or other premium dealers to try and find a good local trade with traceable service history. They are few and far between here in STL for some reason, and the only one at a local Toyota dealer was a total pile of trash. But I'm finding a few in the general mid-west region. I'm mildly picky about color - I would prefer red, blue (navy or that silvery blue) or green... but I will live with silver, gray, and possibly white if its really good. Black is at the bottom of the list (St. Louis Summer!) and Del Boca Vista Gowald is also kind of a deal breaker.

I know to look for recent timing belt replacements, suspension function, and good leather as a sign of a well-cared-for truck. I've also been told to check the chassis on northern trucks. Anything else obvious I should look for?
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-07-2019 02:57 PM #35
      I'm revisiting this thread because I'm starting to home in on a GX470 to replace my Mini. I will miss the mileage of the Mini, but it has hit that German Car Threshold where it seems to be falling apart all at once, and I just can't take it anymore. I could really go for some of that Toyota reliability right about now. I'm shopping for GXs at Lexus dealers or other premium dealers to try and find a good local trade with traceable service history. They are few and far between here in STL for some reason, and the only one at a local Toyota dealer was a total pile of trash. But I'm finding a few in the general mid-west region. I'm mildly picky about color - I would prefer red, blue (navy or that silvery blue) or green... but I will live with silver, gray, and possibly white if its really good. Black is at the bottom of the list (St. Louis Summer!) and Del Boca Vista Gowald is also kind of a deal breaker.

I know to look for recent timing belt replacements, suspension function, and good leather as a sign of a well-cared-for truck. I've also been told to check the chassis on northern trucks. Anything else obvious I should look for?
      470s are getting older, but you can still find one with the following if you look hard enough, have patience, and are willing to travel:

-Current on dealer (or good Indy shop) maintenance including timing belt service.
      -Not from a rust-belt state. These are like most Toyotas that don't handle road salt well (not that they're any worse than any other BOF truck).
      -Working air suspension. The stock stuff seems to make it at least to 150k, I actually enjoy mine so I'll replace parts as needed to keep it working as it's really nice for towing.
      -If you're planning to tow, make sure it has the factory tow package with the 6500lb hitch and not the lighter duty 5000lb hitch.
      -Sport package/KDSS is rare and up to you, but I don't personally like KDSS as it's rough on gravel/washboard roads at speed.
      -Keep an eye on the leather front seats, they can wear poorly if not maintained.
      -Keep an eye on the dash, certain years had poorly made dashes that simultaneously cracked and went mooshy in spots. There was a recall for this but it's not open anymore.

I think that's about it.

Some people don't want the Mark Levinson/Nav package as they fear the potential of the integrated headunit failing, but that's a relatively rare issue and I personally love the better audio. If you have kids the third row package is nice as it adds rear seat AC, as is the rear seat entertainment package with DVD player and audio controls. I don't run the actual third row seats for more cargo area but they're on a shelf in case I ever need them.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      11-07-2019 03:28 PM #36

we bought a GX460 and love it. downsides as discussed are MPGs and dated electronics, everything else is damn near bulletproof. ours has the predator face, we like it. i'd drive a 460 before you buy a 470, the 460's are a generation newer, they don't have t-belts, and the leather holds up better. you'll still need to be attentive to the chassis with road salt (as with any BOF truck.

lengthy thread on the subject:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-GX460-content

drop me a PM if you have any questions.

edit: just noticed you commented in the thread i linked, let me know if i can be helpful.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      11-07-2019 03:43 PM #37

Cruise the Plaza Frontenac parking lot and leave notes on windshields you're bound to find some minty older Lexi.

If that doesn't work, then just drive around Ladue and Clayton neighborhoods.

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      11-07-2019 06:37 PM #38
      Thanks for the info, gang. I appreciate it, particularly the tip

There are plenty of them out there, but they're all either A. Trashed B. Just what I want but 1,000 miles away or C. Overpriced off-road rigs.

I want a good honest truck, with good records at a dealer who'll take my sh!tty trade off my hands. Is that too much to ask?

15. Member
      Cars
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      11-07-2019 07:44 PM #39
      I love my GX, it's the best daily I've ever owned. I'll gladly sacrifice 16mpg of 92 octane (mostly city driving) for the stability, power, comfort, offroad capability, and quality I get.

My only gripe is that parts can get expensive really quickly compared to a Toyota. Lexus has a lot of complex systems on their SUVs that most Toyotas don't, and 50% of the parts are Lexus only. Budget for additional maintenance and you'll be fine.

As for the 470 vs 460, it's a budget thing these days.

470s are now 11-17 years old and can be found from the low $20k range for a flawless 2009, down to $5k for a beat 2003. The 470 feels a bit more truck-like to me, even though both are BOF SUVs.

The 460 feels a bit more isolated, but comfortable and refined. You also get much better tech in a 460. I've seen 460s priced as low as $15k for a thrashed example, but you'll easily be in the mid $20k range for a decent one.
      You're honestly better off getting parts for your GX from Toyota UAE warehouses rather than from stateside dealers in many cases.

Cars
      11-07-2019 09:24 PM #40
      Thanks for the info, gang. I appreciate it, particularly the tip

There are plenty of them out there, but they're all either A. Trashed B. Just what I want but 1,000 miles away or C. Overpriced off-road rigs.

I want a good honest truck, with good records at a dealer who'll take my sh!tty trade off my hands. Is that too much to ask?
      if you need me to look for one in MI just let me know. also, TheTopher (POV driving vids on youtube) is a good friend of mine who also has a GX, is in the area and is also a wealth of info.

us having fun in the sand.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      11-08-2019 10:57 AM #41
      ^ That looks like a riot!

Is the consensus that the 460 is equally a brick ishthouse compared to the 470 in terms of reliability? I'm wondering if its worth stretching to one and getting something that's a little fresher. The motivation is for a vehicle I'll enjoy owning, but not have to fix (within reason, of course).
      Last edited by geofftii2002; 11-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-08-2019 01:13 PM #42

Is the consensus that the 460 is equally a brick ishthouse compared to the 470 in terms of reliability? I'm wondering if its worth stretching to one and getting something that's a little fresher. The motivation is for a vehicle I'll enjoy owning, but not have to fix (within reason, of course).
      Yes, but with a caveat... Your "within reason" expectation is a fair one and good to keep in mind. These aren't 1998 Honda Civic reliable where you can neglect it for 5 years, change the oil every 20k miles, and it will keep on chugging along. I've found that late 90s and newer Japanese-built Toyota 4x4s (I'm not talking about US-built Tundras/Sequioas here) are happy with a good maintenance regimen using quality parts, which will keep them happy and reliable 99% of the time. I have noticed patterns of a few issues that keep popping up on various rigs... starters and alternators seem to fail at a normal rate, usually around the 100k mile mark. Every one of my rigs has needed both, and it usually kills the battery at the same time. If you use these rigs offroad, lower control arm bushings and ball joints will wear more quickly and then throw your alignment off. 470s have a potential SAI pump issue depending on year, not sure if that carried over to the 460 engine. That's all that pops in to my head right now.

So I'd give a GX470 a 90% brick sh*thouse rating, and the 460 appears to continue that trend. If I had the budget I'd absolutely open my search to [pre-Predator facelift] 460s which would make it much easier to find potential vehicles.

Cars
      11-08-2019 01:15 PM #43

there are really only a few potential 460 trouble spots and most are rare. the first and probably biggest is a cam tower leak, it's pretty limited, but some of them sprout a leak on the front of the engine cam chain cover. it's usually glaringly obvious when looking at one with a flashlight underhood. it's a fairly price fix ($2k), but again, uncommon. earlier GX (pre-2010) also have a secondary air injection pump issue, which is caused by a crappy foam filter disintegrating and getting sucked into the EGR system. it's a $15 dollar preventative fix that'll take you about 20 mins, but a pricey repair if the foam on the filter fails. 2014+ models resolved this issue. Also, there is some discussion the pre-2014 GX's can lean to one side or the other, i have never seen this, but best to do a walk around on level ground if you're shopping for a 10-13.

might be a good resource for you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...0-present-219/

the other thing i've noticed with ours, the interiors can really look like hell if they aren't respected, the chrome/silver plastic trim for the shifter and radio surround can get knicked up easily. I have a premium model with air ride and the nicer semi-aniline leather, so can't comment on durability vs the base model. however, if you clean mine up nicely (at 53k) a lot of people will think it's brand new.

we've put 15k miles on ours now and it's been really solid. i know my other thread mentioned this, but the LC Prado (aka the GX) is the truck the UN sends to conflict zones, they are exceedingly hard to kill and highly reliable. as with anything it'll have issues, but as a note, the 460 is a lot newer than the 470 and that means all things equal a 460 will be more reliable simply due to age.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-08-2019 01:32 PM #44
      You might find that a really nice 470 isn't much cheaper than a nice 460 at this point. Like you said though, you have to find the right one, for the right price, not on the other side of the country.

Cars
      11-08-2019 01:41 PM #45
      You guys rock, thank you.

I'm stewing in my own juices because my Mini needs an HPFP and I've hit my threshold for spending more money on it... I'm ready for a grown up car for a while. The last big bill was necessary because the car would have been scrap if I didn't sort things out. But this is the last straw.

All this is crashing into our process of trying to buy a house and I don't want to ding my credit. I am trying to stay fairly cash-liquid for that reason. Ideally, I need to find one at a dealer because I have a trade, and I can finance just a smallish amount to keep a low monthly payment on a short loan term. But damn if there just aren't any around here.

Cars
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-08-2019 03:43 PM #46
      I was looking into an LX or GX after lemoning my Colorado, noticed the prices of both of them being crazy and then landed on a $2500 '05 Tahoe LT w/ 184k on it...had a bunch of new stuff so I figured why not. Even if I have to put a trans in it I'll be in it less than a GX.

Hopefully something local-ish pops up.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Cars
      11-11-2019 11:49 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I was looking into an LX or GX after lemoning my Colorado, noticed the prices of both of them being crazy and then landed on a $2500 '05 Tahoe LT w/ 184k on it...had a bunch of new stuff so I figured why not. Even if I have to put a trans in it I'll be in it less than a GX.

Hopefully something local-ish pops up.
      great choice, if i could find a cheaper high mileage tahoe/yukon that wasn't a rust bucket i'd totally do it. the thing is that lexus owners tend to be a different demographic than older tahoe owners (families, abusive soccer mom drivers, and rust have really taken their toll on the tahoe in general).

24. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      11-11-2019 12:10 PM #48
      You guys rock, thank you.

I'm stewing in my own juices because my Mini needs an HPFP and I've hit my threshold for spending more money on it... I'm ready for a grown up car for a while. The last big bill was necessary because the car would have been scrap if I didn't sort things out. But this is the last straw.

All this is crashing into our process of trying to buy a house and I don't want to ding my credit. I am trying to stay fairly cash-liquid for that reason. Ideally, I need to find one at a dealer because I have a trade, and I can finance just a smallish amount to keep a low monthly payment on a short loan term. But damn if there just aren't any around here.

Get out of STL. Make the 500 mile drive to OKC. Out of the rust belt. Lexus of OKC has a couple good looking ones in stock. Naturally your least favorite color..

https://www.eskridgelexus.com/invent...t20x390173515/

https://www.eskridgelexus.com/invent...m7fx8c5036520/

Another couple hundred miles to Dallas.

https://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/u...JM7FXXD5063280

Cars
      11-11-2019 12:18 PM #49
      Thanks for the links!

That dark silver 460 is kind of nice.

I got thrown a curveball this weekend when I went and looked at a 2003 LX470. It is a one-owner, dealer serviced truck but it just felt like it needed a few too many things. I might revisit it after the dealer finishes detailing and servicing it. That started me on the path of looking at 100 series LXs too... equally hard to find, but there's a guy in PA with several PRISTINE examples. While not exactly cheap for damn-near 20 year old trucks, they are impeccable examples.

Why can't I just be happy with a CamCord/Ford Explorer/some other ubiquitous thing?

Cars
      11-11-2019 06:09 PM #50
      I think I'm going to have a look at this one. With the Mini on life-support I've got to act soon. Springfield isn't as northy as STL, so hopefully it's clean underneath. I have asked for pics. Fingers crossed!

https://www.elitemercedes.com/used/L...8ea581d23a.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast