Fourtitude.com - Dashboard Brake Light....surprise!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2015 Audi S3
      09-30-2019 05:32 PM #1
      So a week ago my wife tells me the dashboard brake light has come on and the message tells her the brakes need to be replaced. Our RS3 has 45k miles on it so Im not shocked by that but the shocker was right around the corner at the dealership. Since the tires needed to be replaced as well, I told them to do both. Tires were about $1300 installed for the 4 which is about what Ive been used to for my S3 and RS3 to date but they called me up to “talk” about the brakes. Apparently they want over $2000 because “the pads on this car are expensive” and the “rotors must be replaced as well”.

Im used to my brake jobs being in the $500-$700 range all around, is this really necessary? Arent there better and more cost effective options than padding Audis pockets for their over priced parts?

Any advice appreciated, pretty agitated atm. Love my car but a surprise $2k bill is not what I need right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2018 Audi RS3
      10-01-2019 10:43 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Xanlith View Post
      So a week ago my wife tells me the dashboard brake light has come on and the message tells her the brakes need to be replaced. Our RS3 has 45k miles on it so Im not shocked by that but the shocker was right around the corner at the dealership. Since the tires needed to be replaced as well, I told them to do both. Tires were about $1300 installed for the 4 which is about what Ive been used to for my S3 and RS3 to date but they called me up to “talk” about the brakes. Apparently they want over $2000 because “the pads on this car are expensive” and the “rotors must be replaced as well”.

Im used to my brake jobs being in the $500-$700 range all around, is this really necessary? Arent there better and more cost effective options than padding Audis pockets for their over priced parts?

Any advice appreciated, pretty agitated atm. Love my car but a surprise $2k bill is not what I need right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      if you're able to do the work yourself you'll save a boat load just in labor alone. i worked in the automotive industry for 5+ years and just recently got out. the trend lately has been to replace both pads and rotors due to the price in parts (mainly rotors) dropping. I know the RS3 had drill front rotors which prevents those from being turned, but the rears may be able to be turned instead of replacing them. asking your service adviser what the thickness measurement is of all 4 rotors and then ask what the minimum thickness spec if from audi.
      2018 Audi RS3 - APR Stage 2
      2001 Mercedes SLK230 *SOLD*