Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      09-24-2019 01:03 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      People keep asking me if I'm getting a Gladiator next.

No, and for three reasons:

-I need dry storage more than I need wet/open storage; I carry more luggage than mulch

-My Wrangler JUST fits in my garage now with the workbench and stuff in front of it, any more length and it's a no-go. Got like 6" of error margin here (TWSS). This is important because sometimes I like to leave the doors off for the weekend or for a few days and don't want it covered in dew or spiders outside.

-Crappy breakover angle on the Gladiator and now that I'm a wannabe offroader....
      All of these things are easily fixed.
      Get a bed cover.
      Build a bigger garage or move the work bench.
      Get bigger tires and a lift.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 A4 Titanium, '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      09-24-2019 01:14 PM #52
      I towed my Cabrio VR6 a couple of times with my 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport with one of those uHaul trailers and man, it was a sketchy experience. It had plenty of power and it was reasonably stable at freeway speeds, but stopping was a real problem... like, soil your shorts if you weren't absolutely focused six cars ahead in traffic and you need to stop from 40 mph or more.

It had a transmission cooler and was rated for 6,500 lbs (IIRC) but man, towing that same car on the same trailer with a full-size truck is a night and day difference.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 01:17 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      All of these things are easily fixed.
      Get a bed cover.
      Build a bigger garage or move the work bench.
      Get bigger tires and a lift.

Orrrrr I could just stay with a JLU. I don't need or want a Gladiator.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

5. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 01:25 PM #54

Orrrrr I could just stay with a JLU. I don't need or want a Gladiator.
      Hey man, you're the one that can't tow a compact car.

We're just here to help.
      Instagram - efrie004

6. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      09-24-2019 01:40 PM #55
      Mine is named after a pair of dad jeans
      Uff da.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-24-2019 01:51 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I towed my Cabrio VR6 a couple of times with my 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport with one of those uHaul trailers and man, it was a sketchy experience. It had plenty of power and it was reasonably stable at freeway speeds, but stopping was a real problem... like, soil your shorts if you weren't absolutely focused six cars ahead in traffic and you need to stop from 40 mph or more.

It had a transmission cooler and was rated for 6,500 lbs (IIRC) but man, towing that same car on the same trailer with a full-size truck is a night and day difference.
      Biggest problem with those Uhaul trailers (Besides the fact that they are ridiculously heavy and hard to load) is that they are designed to fit just about any possible vehicle. That means they are WAY too big for small cars like a Cabrio or S2K and it's difficult to avoid having too much tongue weight because the tie down points are at the front. That makes the front end light, which certainly can't help your braking. Heavier duty trucks can handle more tongue weight without the suspension sagging since they are designed for a lot of weight in the back.

It would be nice if someone rented light weight aluminum trailers. I would like to tow my Alfa behind the Ascent next summer, but I don't think the Uhaul trailer would be doable due to the tongue weight issue. With one of those nice Trailex or Aluma trailers, I'd only be using about 3k lbs of the 5k lbs tow capacity, which would be more than doable. Just not ready to spend $5k on a trailer + store the trailer.
      Last edited by Nealric; 09-24-2019 at 01:54 PM.

8. Member
      Cars
      2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
      09-24-2019 02:18 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      I'm going to amend my intial don't comment based on 2 things.

First being the wheelbase, I had in my head the JLUs were like 108" or so not the 118" that they are, that makes me a little more satisfied with them from a wheelbase stand point.

Second being if you were buying a trailer that was of reasonable weight, not the 2k lbs Uhaul thing. And that trailer had its own brakes and you could properly set everything up with load leveling etc then I'd maybe say you could safely tow 5k range with the JLU.

But the second part comes with that this would just be a terrible investment for most people. If you planned to tow enough to warrant your own trailer then the right tool for the job makes sense and you'd have another vehicle that can handle the 5k+lbs no problem.

Another factor for the JLU is that it seems the payload is 850 lbs. If you had the 5k lbs trailer setup with a 10% tongue weight then you'd have 350lbs left. I'm not sure if that 350lbs is with or without hard top, and it seemed to be on a stripper model too. So once you add in full doors, hard top, bunch of power accessories, you suddenly might be down to you better weigh under 200lbs or you are maxing out the payload.

Since insurance always comes up in every one of these threads.. INSURANCE COVERS DUMB AND ILLEGAL STUFF... This is not a suggestion to do dumb or illegal things nor am I condoning it. But just because your vehicle is rated for 3500lbs and you town 5000lbs does not mean the insurance company gets to just say F off.

If you run a stop sign and hit someone.. you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign while texting and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops in a stolen car and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance (assuming you are named on a policy somewhere) covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops in a stolen car with an overweight trailer and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance (assuming you are named on a policy somewhere) covers it.. The trailer doesn't suddenly invalidate your insurance coverage..
      This must be regional. If you are dui and get into a collision, insurance will NOT cover your damages here.

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 02:20 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
      This must be regional. If you are dui and get into a collision, insurance will NOT cover your damages here.
      My insurance company will cover them, they’re required to, especially if there is a lien on the title.

And then they’ll drop you and put you on a blacklist.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      09-24-2019 02:21 PM #59
      I'm not going to do it, but I'm kinda of two minds on this. I hear the "80% rule" thing and don't fundamentally disagree, but I think it's situation specific. I know manufacturers need to set tow ratings to be safe in the worst possible conditions. For my Jeep, I know the main issue is cooling-related. So I wouldn't ever want to approach the limits when it was hot and/or I was towing in a stressful manner like up a mountain. So my thought was that I could approach/slightly exceed the limits knowing that A) it would be cool/cold when I did it (November in Chicago/WI) and B) it's essentially flat on my route, no need to worry about mountains.

Given those, the conditions are so far under what would be considered the worst possible, that I wasn't worried about approaching the limits, but again, I think it probably doesn't make sense. I already made arrangements to make two trips, just means an extra weekend/long awkward car ride with the FIL.
      i completely agree that you're situation specific and you pretty much live in the flatlands were big hill climbs and long stops are highly unusual. there are always factors to consider, but keep in mind that warranty work and your personal liability will increase if a trailer is overloaded. your insurance may cover you, but civil liability and criminal liability for negligence are real things if something goes wrong.

this brings me to my favorite reminder about when things go wrong in towing something or hauling a heavy load - force is mass times acceleration...you're just adding mass and that means whatever you hit you're going to hit harder. i just wouldn't want to see you in a panic braking situation where suddenly your trailered s2000 is overtaking you.

you may have extra cooling capacity due to temperature, but keep in mind the delta due to lower air temps doesn't change coolant temps that much particularly when really working a motor. you could consider adding something like an external oil cooler to assist the radiator.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 02:24 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i completely agree that you're situation specific and you pretty much live in the flatlands were big hill climbs and long stops are highly unusual. there are always factors to consider, but keep in mind that warranty work and your personal liability will increase if a trailer is overloaded. your insurance may cover you, but civil liability and criminal liability for negligence are real things if something goes wrong.

this brings me to my favorite reminder about when things go wrong in towing something or hauling a heavy load - force is mass times acceleration...you're just adding mass and that means whatever you hit you're going to hit harder. i just wouldn't want to see you in a panic braking situation where suddenly your trailered s2000 is overtaking you.

you may have extra cooling capacity due to temperature, but keep in mind the delta due to lower air temps doesn't change coolant temps that much particularly when really working a motor. you could consider adding something like an external oil cooler to assist the radiator.
      If they sued everyone who drove an overloaded trailer from Chicagoland to Wisconsin.....

Also note I wasn't intending on egregiously overloading the thing; my initial thought was I could get a 1000-1200lb trailer to tow my 2700lb car, so 3700-4k on a Jeep rated for 3500. I think you'd have more of a point if I was looking at towing with that 2200lb UHaul trailer and I was 1500lbs+ overweight, not a few hundred pounds.
      Last edited by The_Real_Stack; 09-24-2019 at 02:27 PM.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      09-24-2019 02:34 PM #61
      If they sued everyone who drove an overloaded trailer from Chicagoland to Wisconsin.....

Also note I wasn't intending on egregiously overloading the thing; my initial thought was I could get a 1000-1200lb trailer to tow my 2700lb car, so 3700-4k on a Jeep rated for 3500. I think you'd have more of a point if I was looking at towing with that 2200lb UHaul trailer and I was 1500lbs+ overweight, not a few hundred pounds.
      HA! I swear I could put up a lawn chair on an I75 overpass to watch all the cool toys heading to Northern MI on a summer Friday afternoon!

i agree you weren't doing anything super crazy and you're probably still within specs, but everything has a failure point. my latest thing has been looking for a trailer for utility/yard/hauling stuff for the truck. first thing i'll do is swap to a matching hub pattern electric brakes axle. why you ask? because then i only need to carry one spare and the e-brakes, even on a sub 2k trailer can help in many bad news or annoying scenarios. a great example is the old military trailers that often have axles rated for 3x or more what the trailer is rated for...they knew in some situations overloading would be needed and terrain/off-road is really hard on a trailer. smarter to build in way too much cushion if you're getting shot at need to haul a ton of junk out of trouble in your 1/4 ton spec trailer.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

13. Member
      Cars
      09-24-2019 02:37 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      My insurance company will cover them, they’re required to, especially if there is a lien on the title.

And then they’ll drop you and put you on a blacklist.
      Right, they have to cover the other party's damages, but your car and your injuries they will not.

14. Senior Member
      09-24-2019 02:48 PM #63
      have a source saying that they don't?

Laws do vary, but even in Canada never heard/read this anywhere.

And if you are a repeat offender here you can be forced to get insurance where you head of time agree that in an accident if you are under the influence again your coverage is limited. This is not the case with standard insurance.

The point is that people seem to pick and chose the limits they think that insurance companies apply depending on what they believe the egregiousness of the offense is, that isn't how it works.

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 02:49 PM #64
      Right, they have to cover the other party's damages, but your car and your injuries they will not.
      Nah, they'll cover my vehicle and injuries. I had this conversation with them because I was genuinely curious what they do in these circumstances.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      09-24-2019 03:00 PM #65
      Nah, they'll cover my vehicle and injuries. I had this conversation with them because I was genuinely curious what they do in these circumstances.
      I hope you had that conversation while holding a flask

17. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 03:09 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I hope you had that conversation while holding a flask
      I was actually at my house drinking a beer while talking to my agent on the phone.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 03:14 PM #67
      I was actually at my house drinking a beer while talking to my agent on the phone.
      "hey man, let me ask you...I'm a 12er deep, if I go for a drive, am I covered?"

"Cabin got plastered and drove through a Head Start preschool, September 24th 2019. We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two."

19. Member
      Cars
      09-24-2019 04:07 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      have a source saying that they don't?

Laws do vary, but even in Canada never heard/read this anywhere.

And if you are a repeat offender here you can be forced to get insurance where you head of time agree that in an accident if you are under the influence again your coverage is limited. This is not the case with standard insurance.

The point is that people seem to pick and chose the limits they think that insurance companies apply depending on what they believe the egregiousness of the offense is, that isn't how it works.
      https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/302476

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 04:10 PM #69
      Kind of sounds like Canada sucks.
      Instagram - efrie004

21. Senior Member
      09-24-2019 04:15 PM #70
      "Liability and Accident Benefits coverage will still respond but the company does not have to repair or replace your vehicle. "

So they do cover medical and damage to other property.

Possibly not your car.

It seems unclear on whether they cover your injuries.

So about what your response to Cabin covered, not as blanket denial of coverage that your initial response implied.

Cars
      17 Ram 4x4(Daily Hemi), '84 Rabbit (Slowly progressing project)
      09-24-2019 04:16 PM #71
      For car insurance? Absolutely. One of the biggest government mandated scams going. Our rates are stupid.

Car insurance companies in Ontario have overcharged Ontarians by $5 billion over the last five years.

Ontario’s auto insurers made $1.5 billion pre-tax income in 2016, up nearly 60 per cent over the last four years alone.
      Source

G
      █ ♣ █ Army

ig: @gdmonteith

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 04:30 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by D_B_Jetta View Post
      Absolutely.
      My takeaway.

Blame Canada. See my avatar.

24. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      09-24-2019 04:36 PM #73
      Did the US Army originally commission Willys Jeep as a towing vehicle to begin with?

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-24-2019 04:39 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      This trailer would probably fit a S2K and weighs 715lbs in stripped down form:

https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...7031-17p43.htm

However, I doubt you would find one for rent unless it's a private party sort of deal. They aren't cheap to buy either- I've heard around $6-7k (trailers are super annoying in that you can't even get a quote for many models without talking to a dealer). Even then, you'd be right at the tow limit. I'd be comfortable doing that around town, but not for a trip of any length.
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      If I really wanted to tow my ND Miata with my Ridgeline (with its 5000lb capacity), I'd have to get myself something like this:

https://www.alumaklm.com/7800ta-esa-...m-deck-utility

The 173" bed version only weighs 975lbs. But it'll be expensive.
      I had briefly shopped for aluminum car haulers (until I saw the prices) but I never saw anything this small and light! Those are nice options if you have a compact racecar like an S2K, a midsize tow rig, and $5-7k to spend on a trailer.

26. Senior Member
      09-24-2019 04:51 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Did the US Army originally commission Willys Jeep as a towing vehicle to begin with?
      No I don't believe a tow capacity was an original spec.

Even if it was towing at 15mph in a convoy is not the same as towing 60mph on a highway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast