Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-23-2019 07:24 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      You are depending on that steering lock holding for the stability of the trailer. I certainly wouldn't trust it- steering locks are designed to prevent theft, not hold the wheels straight in motion.
      For some reason I thought there was a device that would actually lock the wheel in place. I wasn't referring to relying on the lock pin that's part of the ignition.
      Instagram - efrie004

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      09-23-2019 09:22 PM #27
      3500lbs, that seems low. My wifeís station wagon is rated for 3000.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

4. 09-23-2019 10:00 PM #28
      These may not work and chances are great they won't, but I'm just thinking out loud...

Because you want the S2K there along with the Jeep...

Why not a big UHaul truck, Stookie inside, tow the Jeep? If you can somehow drive the car into the truck on a ramp (top down so you can get out), then you're golden.

Of just pay someone to transport the car... Or have someone follow you? Fly the other driver back?

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-23-2019 10:09 PM #29
      There's a reason why I looked at a grand cherokee and not a wrangler. My corrado weighs a little more than your s2k and i didn't have anything with a tow rating less than 5k lbs on my list.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-23-2019 10:29 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      These may not work and chances are great they won't, but I'm just thinking out loud...

Because you want the S2K there along with the Jeep...

Why not a big UHaul truck, Stookie inside, tow the Jeep? If you can somehow drive the car into the truck on a ramp (top down so you can get out), then you're golden.

Of just pay someone to transport the car... Or have someone follow you? Fly the other driver back?
      Iím just going to make two trips, one in early November and my FIL will drive me back, then Iíll take the Jeep round trip later in November for hunting season.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      14 focus st
      09-23-2019 10:33 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Good luck finding that sub-1,000-lb car trailer, which is most likely going to be aluminum. If you find a place that rents aluminum car trailers, send me the link.

I tow with my Frontier (6,200-lb rating) and I have a 1,500-lb steel trailer with electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch. Even with the trailer brakes, the truck has its limits when it comes to towing that trailer with another vehicle on it. The most Iíve put on it is our 3,500-lb Outback.

Most of the other car towing setups I see that are as marginal as mine, usually involve an aluminum trailer and a SUV of sorts with a 5,000-lb rating. Those guys are towing race cars that probably weigh the same as a street S2000 (when considering tools, fuel, tires). Iíve seen Pilots, Highlanders, MDXís doing car trailer duty.

Given its rating, Wrongler is probably too marginal, even towing on flat terrain. I donít know why Jeep rates them the way they do, but Iím sure thereís reason for it. I donít see many (if any) JKUís pulling car trailers and theyíre rated for the same 3,500 lbs.

With my Frontier, the biggest issue isnít pulling the weight (even though it is slow) itís getting it stopped. Thatís kind of what Iíd consider to be the bare minimum to tow a car trailer on flat terrain. The frame and suspension are beefier than what you get on a Wrangler, but the brakes...I dunno.
      can vouch for that lol. Towed a uhaul car trailer (2100lb) and a 2005 ford escape v6 awd (3200lb ish) with those stupid surge breaks and it wasn't great. going was fine, highway was fine. stopping, nopes.

did a long trip with a 3800lb travel trailer (camper) two weekends ago. having electric brakes with the controller gain up was great. total confidence in that (having the trailer brake a little harder than the truck, which i prefer in most scenarios anyway)

09-24-2019 12:20 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by candy11 View Post
      4dr Jeep? Itís fine. Run it.
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Yeah I think with a four door Jeep and careful driving you'd be fine. S2K is a pretty small/light car. I see cars/suvs towing huge campers all day every day.

YMMV
      Yeah, this is my suggestion too. Do yourself a favor and install a trailer brake, and maybe go with a load leveling and anti-sway hitch on your car trailer. I have an all steel trailer and I've pulled lighter cars on it with my Jeep. Though with my tires and stock non-rubicon 3.45 gearing, its a dog! I really have to wind it out, but it will do it.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

9. 09-24-2019 05:13 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Iím just going to make two trips, one in early November and my FIL will drive me back, then Iíll take the Jeep round trip later in November for hunting season.
      That makes sense. Sometimes people lose sight of the ultimate goal... I've had friends who wanted to transport their kid's furniture and stuff off to college by spending serious money using moving services or renting UHauls etc., until I suggest leaving their stuff at home, buying used or new stuff at, say, IKEA there, and disposing of it or selling it or even donating or abandoning it afterwards. Once they put pencil to paper, they discovered they would save a decent chunk of change...

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-24-2019 08:06 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      No, you will definitely not find a trailer suitable for towing an S2K that weighs less than 1k lb. The absolute lightest thing possible would be an aluminum flatbed with two 2500lb axles, and those are ~1200 lb ready to roll. Not to mention that nobody rents those out, you'll have to drop $5k on it yourself. Rental dollies and trailers are stupid heavy and stout to handle the abuse of renters who generally have little idea what they're doing.

When towing wheelbase is your friend; the longer the tow rig the better due to stability. Likewise, the longer the trailer tongue length, the more stability you'll have. A tow dolly is pretty darn unstable, and I wouldn't tow a RWD car on one anyway unless it was a very short distance at lower speeds.

So if you want to tow an S2K with something rented, just rent the truck and the trailer to have plenty of weight capacity on hand.
      If I really wanted to tow my ND Miata with my Ridgeline (with its 5000lb capacity), I'd have to get myself something like this:

https://www.alumaklm.com/7800ta-esa-...m-deck-utility

The 173" bed version only weighs 975lbs. But it'll be expensive.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 11:05 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      3500lbs, that seems low. My wifeís station wagon is rated for 3000.
      Hell, the sq has shorter wheelbase than his Jeep, isn't body on frame, and has a towing capacity of 4,400Lbs.

Chris, just tow the damn thing and don't worry about it.

Oh yeah, if the trailer starts to walk or sway, DO NOT hit the brakes.

Or do, depending on how good your insurance is.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 11:11 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Hell, the sq has shorter wheelbase than his Jeep, isn't body on frame, and has a towing capacity of 4,400Lbs.

Well it's partially a concern of "will it work" but there's a bigger question of "will anyone rent a trailer to me." I'm pretty sure U-Haul won't because they have "Must have vehicle with 5000lb tow rating" as a requirement on their web site and they are known to be sticklers.

There's a more fly by night place down the street, but I dunno.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

09-24-2019 11:21 AM #37
      Well it's partially a concern of "will it work" but there's a bigger question of "will anyone rent a trailer to me." I'm pretty sure U-Haul won't because they have "Must have vehicle with 5000lb tow rating" as a requirement on their web site and they are known to be sticklers.

Chris, I would pass for a couple of reasons:

Strictly speaking, you're at or near the towing limit for the Wrangler. Now, I wouldn't necessarily sweat this because I see Wranglers towing over their rated weight all the time around here. What gives me reason for pause is the trailer issue - as you are seeing, you likely won't find anyone willing to rent to you.

I wish the Wrangler had a 5K towing capacity. It would literally be the perfect daily for us at that point.

I will make this offer: You're welcome to come out to the house and hook up the boat and take it around the block to see what 4,500 lbs feels like on it. I wouldn't do that regularly but around the neighborhood at slow speeds won't hurt it.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

14. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      09-24-2019 11:30 AM #38
      You could put a tow bar on the S2K and flat tow it.

There are a couple threads about doing that in the S2K forum.

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 11:35 AM #39

You're going about this the wrong way.

Go test drive a new truck, take it by Uhaul, and rent your trailer. On the way back to the dealership drop the trailer off at your house, then return the truck. Now you're set.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      09-24-2019 11:52 AM #40
      Why can't you back the S2000 onto the dolly and lock the steering wheel at top dead center?
      this is a super terrible idea for a host of reasons, starting with its a great way to break something in the front suspension/steering and ending with "you're going to snap your front bumper off backwards" over a curb or speed bump.

Stack, I've toyed with this a lot as you know my long s2000 history. the short answer was simply to buy a truck capable of pulling well over 5k. yes, there are aluminum trailers and some tricks you can pull to get the weight down further (run all the fuel out of the s2000, strip stuff out of the car, run with no spare on the truck, etc). however, these are all small gains and i'd add some further towing related advice for long trips...unless you have a truly built towing vehicle (ie. 2500 or 3500 pickup), running long distance with 80% less of max rating is always going to be the best idea. if the truck can tow 10k, don't plan to go long distance with more than 8k. if your truck is rated for 3500, you really only want to go long distance with around 2,750. this gives you a chance to have some wiggle room on vehicle contents, stress load on axles/tires, etc. i just don't want you setting yourself up for failure. the option that may be easiest is renting a pick-up from uhaul to tow the car trailer itself.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 11:57 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Chris, I would pass for a couple of reasons:

Strictly speaking, you're at or near the towing limit for the Wrangler. Now, I wouldn't necessarily sweat this because I see Wranglers towing over their rated weight all the time around here. What gives me reason for pause is the trailer issue - as you are seeing, you likely won't find anyone willing to rent to you.

I wish the Wrangler had a 5K towing capacity. It would literally be the perfect daily for us at that point.

I will make this offer: You're welcome to come out to the house and hook up the boat and take it around the block to see what 4,500 lbs feels like on it. I wouldn't do that regularly but around the neighborhood at slow speeds won't hurt it.
      I appreciate the offer, but i have a strict "don't mess with other people's stuff you can't afford to replace" rule and this would violate it severely

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 12:07 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      this is a super terrible idea for a host of reasons, starting with its a great way to break something in the front suspension/steering and ending with "you're going to snap your front bumper off backwards" over a curb or speed bump.

Stack, I've toyed with this a lot as you know my long s2000 history. the short answer was simply to buy a truck capable of pulling well over 5k. yes, there are aluminum trailers and some tricks you can pull to get the weight down further (run all the fuel out of the s2000, strip stuff out of the car, run with no spare on the truck, etc). however, these are all small gains and i'd add some further towing related advice for long trips...unless you have a truly built towing vehicle (ie. 2500 or 3500 pickup), running long distance with 80% less of max rating is always going to be the best idea. if the truck can tow 10k, don't plan to go long distance with more than 8k. if your truck is rated for 3500, you really only want to go long distance with around 2,750. this gives you a chance to have some wiggle room on vehicle contents, stress load on axles/tires, etc. i just don't want you setting yourself up for failure. the option that may be easiest is renting a pick-up from uhaul to tow the car trailer itself.
      I'm not going to do it, but I'm kinda of two minds on this. I hear the "80% rule" thing and don't fundamentally disagree, but I think it's situation specific. I know manufacturers need to set tow ratings to be safe in the worst possible conditions. For my Jeep, I know the main issue is cooling-related. So I wouldn't ever want to approach the limits when it was hot and/or I was towing in a stressful manner like up a mountain. So my thought was that I could approach/slightly exceed the limits knowing that A) it would be cool/cold when I did it (November in Chicago/WI) and B) it's essentially flat on my route, no need to worry about mountains.

Given those, the conditions are so far under what would be considered the worst possible, that I wasn't worried about approaching the limits, but again, I think it probably doesn't make sense. I already made arrangements to make two trips, just means an extra weekend/long awkward car ride with the FIL.

19. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      09-24-2019 12:10 PM #43

But your CUV is tier 1.5 tho

20. Senior Member
      09-24-2019 12:36 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Yeah, this is my suggestion too. Do yourself a favor and install a trailer brake, and maybe go with a load leveling and anti-sway hitch on your car trailer. I have an all steel trailer and I've pulled lighter cars on it with my Jeep. Though with my tires and stock non-rubicon 3.45 gearing, its a dog! I really have to wind it out, but it will do it.

Chris

I'm going to amend my intial don't comment based on 2 things.

First being the wheelbase, I had in my head the JLUs were like 108" or so not the 118" that they are, that makes me a little more satisfied with them from a wheelbase stand point.

Second being if you were buying a trailer that was of reasonable weight, not the 2k lbs Uhaul thing. And that trailer had its own brakes and you could properly set everything up with load leveling etc then I'd maybe say you could safely tow 5k range with the JLU.

But the second part comes with that this would just be a terrible investment for most people. If you planned to tow enough to warrant your own trailer then the right tool for the job makes sense and you'd have another vehicle that can handle the 5k+lbs no problem.

Another factor for the JLU is that it seems the payload is 850 lbs. If you had the 5k lbs trailer setup with a 10% tongue weight then you'd have 350lbs left. I'm not sure if that 350lbs is with or without hard top, and it seemed to be on a stripper model too. So once you add in full doors, hard top, bunch of power accessories, you suddenly might be down to you better weigh under 200lbs or you are maxing out the payload.

Since insurance always comes up in every one of these threads.. INSURANCE COVERS DUMB AND ILLEGAL STUFF... This is not a suggestion to do dumb or illegal things nor am I condoning it. But just because your vehicle is rated for 3500lbs and you town 5000lbs does not mean the insurance company gets to just say F off.

If you run a stop sign and hit someone.. you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign while texting and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops in a stolen car and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance (assuming you are named on a policy somewhere) covers it..

If you ran a stop sign drunk while texting running from the cops in a stolen car with an overweight trailer and hit someone...you did something illegal insurance (assuming you are named on a policy somewhere) covers it.. The trailer doesn't suddenly invalidate your insurance coverage..

21. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 12:39 PM #45
      But your CUV is tier 1.5 tho
      It's definitely no Kia SUV.
      Instagram - efrie004

22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 12:41 PM #46
      Chris - Lease a Gladiator.

/thread
      Instagram - efrie004

23. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      09-24-2019 12:41 PM #47
      It's definitely no Kia SUV.
      Itís not named after a fancy ski town thatís for sure.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 12:51 PM #48
      Itís not named after a fancy ski town thatís for sure.
      Mine is named after a pair of dad jeans

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-24-2019 12:53 PM #49
      Chris - Lease a Gladiator.

/thread
      People keep asking me if I'm getting a Gladiator next.

No, and for three reasons:

-I need dry storage more than I need wet/open storage; I carry more luggage than mulch

-My Wrangler JUST fits in my garage now with the workbench and stuff in front of it, any more length and it's a no-go. Got like 6" of error margin here (TWSS). This is important because sometimes I like to leave the doors off for the weekend or for a few days and don't want it covered in dew or spiders outside.

-Crappy breakover angle on the Gladiator and now that I'm a wannabe offroader....

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-24-2019 12:56 PM #50

-Crappy breakover angle on the Gladiator and now that I'm a wannabe offroader....
      This can be fixed with more biggerer tires and lifts.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast