Fourtitude.com - Back To My Roots: A Suzuki Samurai Project
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      11-18-2019 10:06 PM #101
      I mean, I'd just pull the front clip just for better ingress/egress in cleaning that engine bay. It's like Godzilla emptied his vacuum bag in it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      11-19-2019 09:03 AM #102
      It's going to be so satisfying to steam clean that engine bay once the motor is pulled, yuck!

4. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      11-19-2019 09:09 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by fizay View Post
      I mean, I'd just pull the front clip just for better ingress/egress in cleaning that engine bay. It's like Godzilla emptied his vacuum bag in it.
      Nah, it isn't that much dirt. It looks more like Mighty Joe Young did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      It's going to be so satisfying to steam clean that engine bay once the motor is pulled, yuck!
      Indeed! That's a nasty bay and the feelgood will go waaaay up when it's clean.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

5. Member
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      11-20-2019 03:33 PM #104
      Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been in bed with the flu for literally the last 7 straight days. Last night I felt good enough to go out into the garage and pull a few more things out. I got the clutch cable disconnected and the radiator, fan, and AC condenser out. Not much, but something.

What do I do with the AC system? I'm not using it with my ABA swap. Should I toss it or do you think there's any market for it? I'm not on any Samurai forums and I don't think my local craigslist would generate much interest. The radiator immediately went in the trash, as there was evidence of some leaking. I will say, the petcock and the drain tube on this thing made it a pleasure to drain the coolant. I will miss that.

All that's left is the tranny bolts (if I choose to pull just the engine), fuel lines, and engine mounts. I need to get my hands on an engine hoist as well. Then cleanup can begin!

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      11-20-2019 04:58 PM #105
      always love updates with greasy bits

make sure to get a leveler with your engine hoist if youre yanking the whole thing as a package. looks like plenty of room to maneuver though

in for more

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      11-21-2019 08:42 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post
      What do I do with the AC system? I'm not using it with my ABA swap. Should I toss it or do you think there's any market for it? I'm not on any Samurai forums and I don't think my local craigslist would generate much interest.
      I hate throwing away stuff like that, because you know that at some point, somebody will be desperately looking for it. It's a constant struggle between not throwing things like that away, but also not being a hoarder.

8. Member
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      11-21-2019 08:54 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      I hate throwing away stuff like that, because you know that at some point, somebody will be desperately looking for it. It's a constant struggle between not throwing things like that away, but also not being a hoarder.
      Sadly, my gut is telling me it will end up in the dump.

9. Member
      Cars
      11-22-2019 11:40 AM #108
      Acme Adapters Transmission Adapter, Flywheel, and Engine Mount Brackets have been ordered!

http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php

Cars
      current cars 68 fastback, 78 911, 81 caddy, 87 2dr jetta, 91 golf, 00 tt, 03 tt, 07 s8
      11-22-2019 05:51 PM #109
      looking forward to where this goes once you get the vw motor set in! i had a blast each time i completed one of these aba/sam swaps....... for a clutch i ended up using a clutch master setup (FX200: 04104-HDKV) but if your just street driving you are probably fine with the more OE style disk (FX100: 04104-HD00). keep the photos coming!
      Last edited by carsluTT; 11-22-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Cars
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      11-23-2019 07:03 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      My theory is if it doesn't look good hanging on a wall, it goes.

12. Member
      Cars
      11-25-2019 09:03 AM #111
      I had a very busy weekend!

I arranged to borrow an engine hoist from my buddy (and longtime Vortex member) a2WOB16v and got rolling on getting the Samurai 100% ready for the pull out:

The engine and transmission were disconnected from their mounts, and I removed the transmission to transfer case driveshaft:

I also figured it would be a good time to remove the front bumper, which I'm going to replace due to the fact that previous owner's wife backed into it at some point of their ownership:

Once the bumper was removed, it was the perfect opportunity to remove the tow bar bracketry, which was an eyesore and will never be towed by any RV that I'll ever own:

All of the tow bar bracketry parts:

This will result in a much cleaner looking front end, once everything is put back together:

The engine hoist has arrived!

When I got it all out of transport mode, I tried to pump up the piston to see how high the boom raised. It did not lift whatsoever. I panicked for a moment, but figured I'd check the oil level in the piston. It appeared to be nearly empty. a2WOB16v told me, when I picked it up, that he hadn't used it in about ten years. I was worried that one of the seals had let go. Luckily one quart of hydraulic fluid remedied the problem and the hoist was ready for action:

I asked my buddy Turner to come over to give me a third hand while attempting to get the engine and transmission out, as one unit, without removing the radiator support. With the good advice from the contributing members of this forum, who suggested an engine leveler earlier in the thread, thank you! It worked out great!

Probably my favorite pic, thus far, in this thread:

The engine was out! One lesson learned, that I'd like to point out, is to drain the gear oil out before you lift the engine/transmission at a 45 degree angle. All the gear oil that was in the transmission poured out thru the hole were the driveshaft usually resides. MY wife has complained for two days now that the garage "smells like onions" and she isn't wrong:

Man, I've REALLY got my work cut out for me with the Samurai's engine bay. Thankfully, the majority of the grime appears to come off fairly easily:

Once we were all clear, I took the time to inspect the lump that we just removed. As mentioned way earlier in this thread, the engine had a really bad oil leak. It was coming from the valve cover gasket and dripping down the rear of the engine, onto the bellhousing. I also noticed the rear of the transmission was pretty wet, as well. I think it's the seal for the driveshaft, but it could also be shift lever area that is leaking. When I pulled the shifter, I noticed that there was zero gasket or sealant between the tower and the transmission. The previous owner informed me that he did do the shifter bushing at some point, so perhaps it was never resealed:

Either way, I'm going to replace the shaft seal and properly seal up the shift tower when everything goes back together. The inside of the bellhousing is extremely gross, as well. I'm not sure if I'm dealing with an input shaft seal leak or just the engine oil leak dripping in and contaminating it. I may replace that seal also, to play it safe.

Engine and transmission separated:

One thing I love about this vehicle is that the transmission weights next to nothing, which should make future repairs pretty easy. Here is the transmission, covered in disgustingness. Time to get DIRTY:

The last engine swap I did, on my own vehicle, was my 1.8T Mk2 GTI...17 years ago. At the time I was dealing with a 11 year old daily driver, with plenty of oil leaks and a disgusting engine bay, just like this one. Since then, I've done plenty of wiring jobs for people, but the dirty work was always left to the owner.

Back then, the engine/engine bay cleaning chemical of choice for me was Castrol Super Clean. I hadn't seeked that product out since then, but I was happy to find out that it still exists. However, there is no mention of Castrol on the label anymore. They must have sold off its rights between now and then. Regardless...I grabbed a bottle of that, and some dollar store duct tape, a spray bottle, and my trusty scrub brush and prepared to begin the cleanup process:

I got the transmission degreased and looking proper yesterday. I did this in my garage that was built in the late 1940's, which luckily has a "grandfathered floor drain" that leads to parts unknown. I'm not sure where the dirty water, used Super Clean, and years of oil, grease, and dirt ended up, but it wasn't on my transmission anymore:

And that's where I'm at today. Next on the agenda is to clean up the ABA, which should be MUCH easier than cleaning the Samurai transmission was. I also need to find a quick home for the Suzuki engine. I'm only working in an 18'x18' garage, so floor space is at a premium. I may put it up on craigslist for $100 or so and see if anyone bites. If not, there's this Mechanical Engineer dude that I ride the commuter bus with that mentioned he may want it to build (i think) "a wood-fired engine" with it???? So I might just give it to him and let him have fun with it.

Once the engine and transmission are all cleaned up, I shall tackle that engine bay. But until then, here's one last pic of the scene that currently is the chaos of my garage:

Last edited by Veedubgti; 11-25-2019 at 09:12 AM.

13. Member
      Cars
      11-25-2019 11:12 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by carsluTT View Post
      looking forward to where this goes once you get the vw motor set in! i had a blast each time i completed one of these aba/sam swaps....... for a clutch i ended up using a clutch master setup (FX200: 04104-HDKV) but if your just street driving you are probably fine with the more OE style disk (FX100: 04104-HD00). keep the photos coming!
      carsluTT, I was thinking about the Petroworks clutch kit. Any experience with that kit at all? Clutch Masters are a bit more than I was planning on spending on a clutch kit. Plans with the Samurai include normal street driving for the most part, but also some minor offroading, and nothing ever over a 29" tire.

http://www.petroworks.com/high-perfo...by-petroworks/

14. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      11-25-2019 11:19 AM #113
      Nice work! That transmission came out really nice.

But, we're all waiting for the engine bay clean up.

Cars
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      11-25-2019 02:02 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

x2

That turned out great!
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>> -- My IG

16. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      11-25-2019 02:10 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

This. One thing at a time, but this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

17. Member
      Cars
      12-03-2019 12:31 PM #116
      I got a TON of stuff done over my Thanksgiving break!

Since the transmission came so clean, it only made sense to make sure that the engine was equally as nice. I spent a good portion of Friday night taping up all the holes with the dollar store duct tape, in preparation of its Super Clean bath. I scrubbed for not nearly as long as I did with the transmission, but I struggled with the intake manifold. No matter how hard I scrubbed, it just wouldn't come clean. I ended up trying an SOS pad and that took care of it. It still required a bunch of elbow grease, but I'm pleased with the results. So if staining on cast aluminum gets you down, I suggest SOS pads.

My Acme Adapters order was not supposed to be delivered until today (Tuesday), coming from the west coast, but surprisingly it showed up on Saturday! I tore into that box like a child on Christmas morning to finally get a look at these "magic" pieces, which promise to mate a VW engine to a Samurai chassis, in person. Visually, they look AMAZING. The quality is there, for sure. From the consistency of the welds to the zinc plating on all the parts and hardware, I was impressed.

Passenger Side Engine Mount Bracket:

Driver Side Engine Mount Bracket:

Bellhousing Adapter Plate:

Suzuki Flywheel with bolt holes for VW Crankshaft:

Placing a former-transversely mounted VW engine into a longitudinal engine bay requires special mounts, provided by ACME Adapters. Not a problem, because the VW block has provisions for longitudinally mounted brackets as well, because in case you missed it, VWs are Lego cars. Easy peasy....well, not quite. The block has the threaded holes for said mount brackets, but seeing that this engine has been in a Northeast car, in the saltbelt for nearly 20 years, meant that all the holes I was aiming for were pretty corroded, gunked up, and essentially unusable. Enter the tap.

Where the hell am I going to find and M10x1.5 tap on a Saturday night, after 8PM you ask? Lowe's of course. Somehow they stock a handful of metric taps, and that size just happened to be one of them. So I spent my Small Business Saturday night with the good folks in the red aprons. I got home, installed my newly acquired M10x1.5 tap to my tap handle and got turning. All of the holes used for the mount brackets required cleanout. Luckily, no casualties.

Rear of the engine block (now passenger side):

New Passenger Side Mount Bracket installed:

Front of the engine block (now driver side):

Another hiccup was a small clash between this mount bracket and the engine block itself. When placing the bracket in position, a portion of the block interfered with it, preventing the bracket from sitting flush and the bolt holes aligning. Lucky, my Dremel took care of this clearance issue:

New Driver Side Mount Bracket installed:

And more pics of the cleaned up engine with the new Mount Brackets installed:

I've got more coming that I think you are going to like.....stay tuned:

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      12-03-2019 12:46 PM #117
      Are you going to supercharge that 2.0?? I'm sure they don't make a ton of power but likely a nice bump for a small SUV.

19. Member
      Cars
      12-03-2019 12:53 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Are you going to supercharge that 2.0?? I'm sure they don't make a ton of power but likely a nice bump for a small SUV.
      Not a chance. The stock Samurai engine produces 60hp. The ABA that is going in produces 115hp. That's essentially doubling it. That's more than enough for the me and the purposes of this vehicle.

20. Member
      Cars
      12-03-2019 01:42 PM #119
      Back to Thanksgiving break. Sunday was the day....it was time to clean the engine bay. It seems like that's what most everyone on here wants to see, so here it is...

If you recall, this was the engine bay immediately after the engine was pulled. Extreme grossness:

My buddy thinks that it's diesel soot from being towed behind an RV for a good portion of its life. He could be onto something, it comes off (not clean, but off) with very little effort. Once again, I taped up all the holes with the dollar store duct tape in preparation of its first bath in 34 years. Thankfully (no pun intended), I have a floor drain in my garage that leads to parts unknown. It was freezing outside, so the Samurai was definitely getting its bath indoors. This is after a simple rinse down with the garden hose:

I started at the highest point, which was the underside of the hood. My formula for the cleaning process was a bucket filled with Meguiar's Gold Car Soap and hot water. I used a plain old bath towel to do the scrubbing. Prior to scrubbing, I lightly sprayed the surface with Super Clean and let it soak in for a couple of minutes.
      With minimal effort, all of the grime came off. Once I hosed it down, it actually looked pretty darn good, minus the weird staining that the painted undercoating exhibited:

OK, moving on to the radiator support area and behind the headlights. Same process, but this was even easier. The lack of that textured undercoating that the hood had made things pretty simple. Just a lot of nooks and crannies. But as you can see, things were taking shape:

At this point, my little floor drain had backed up and I was standing in 1-2 inches of water. This is where I left off, which was around 11:30 in the morning, to let the drain catch up. I went inside and watched the movie Elf with my wife and kids.

Finally, around 7PM, things were dry and it was time to finish cleaning the engine bay. More of the same, hose down, spray Super Clean, scrub with soap and hot water. Again, the nooks and crannies of this (and most) engine bays took its toll on my hands. After a couple more hours, everything had been cleaned and I must say that I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not building a show car, just a clean survivor, so I didn't go absolutely crazy. There is staining in the paint that would not come out with just a wash. I'm sure that with paint correction, the majority of it would come out, but this is as far as I plan to take it.

Anyways, without further ado, the moment you've all been waiting for:

And that is where I'm at now. I will begin modifying the ABA engine and Samurai transmission to accommodate the bellhousing adapter within the next few days. I had to order a clutch kit (I went with the PetroWorks clutch) and a couple of odd sized drill bits needed to prep the transmission. One of the required modifications that needs to be done to the engine is to cut the snout off of the crankshaft. I'm not thrilled about that, nor excited to do the physical cutting. Seems like a big risk, but it is what it is.

More updates soon.

12-03-2019 01:53 PM #120

That looks so nice! I was super pumped to see an update from the OP.

Looks like its coming together nicely.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

12-03-2019 02:05 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post

What's going on with the scaling on the upper right-ish portion of the block? Looks like it traverses an entire side?

12-03-2019 02:08 PM #122
      also,

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      12-03-2019 02:11 PM #123
      wow! thats incredible!
      should loo like new with that engine in there. awesome

are those little rust spots behind/under the couple brackets under the hood? or is that weirdness in the picture of some sort of undercoating?

25. Member
      Cars
      12-03-2019 02:17 PM #124
      What's going on with the scaling on the upper right-ish portion of the block? Looks like it traverses an entire side?
      Engine block paint separating from the block. New England winters, man, they are killer.

also,

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      wow! thats incredible!
      should loo like new with that engine in there. awesome

are those little rust spots behind/under the couple brackets under the hood? or is that weirdness in the picture of some sort of undercoating?
      Those are indeed rust spots.

12-03-2019 02:20 PM #125
      It's a shame I lost the box of random VW parts during one of my moves, I had an 8v Schrick cam I would have totally donated to the cause.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast