Fourtitude.com - Back To My Roots: A Suzuki Samurai Project
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      09-24-2019 07:57 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Is that rust popping up under the adhesive under where the driver's seat goes? Unless you already know otherwise I'd get into that and check it out before there are big holes. :/

As far as your bird's nest is going, at least you're not undoing hippy wiring. I've had a few Microbuses back in the day and man, they don't know a damn thing about wiring! Id bet you don't have wire nuts and lamp cord in there, anyway.
      I assure you that it is not rust protrusion. It's factory glue remnants that used to glue down the orange/brownish sound deadening pads under the carpet. I could have gotten it all off with a little more effort, but I would have had to scrape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Man, that thing is nice! Interesting choice on the 2.0 ABA. It will feel super torquey in that little tin-top.

Definitely a rad ride!

Chris
      Thanks! I'm hopeful that is the case. I'm a bit worried about ABA clearance issues, but we won't know until we try.

Today is the first day of the Daily Commute. Hopefully there will be many more. It really is frightening when you compare the size of it to that Honda Pilot next to it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      crusty S'charged AW11, R32 Skyline GTS-T, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata
      09-24-2019 08:03 AM #27
      Hell yeah, love Sammi's. As a kid I was subscribed to Peterson's 4Wheel Offroad, great magazine. I recall GM 4.3s being popular swaps, the ABA will still nearly double your power.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      09-24-2019 08:09 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I like the aba swap idea.

the rotary swap samuari is as puerto rican as you can get lol, my PR friend loves rotaries, but hates the samurai swapped ones, and they are plenty of these in Florida:

I never realized how much I wanted a rotary swapped Samari until now.

Cars
      2000 VW Cabrio, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      09-24-2019 08:43 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post
      Since you asked... Clean it all up and fix whatever I can with available stock parts.
      The third plan may be quite controversial, so I'm putting myself out there, here it goes....

I'm pretty sure I will be performing a VW 2.0L ABA swap in the relatively near future. This thing is carbed with a manual choke, leaks oil like a sieve, and is quite loud. And as much as I'd like to keep it "all original", I just don't see myself directing that effort into this engine. I'm very familiar with VWs (they are my comfort zone), I've wired a million of these engines in my day, and those engines are bulletproof. Plus, I'd like to blend a little bit of what I was into in the past with what I'm into in the present.

TDI Samurais are pretty popular with the offroad boys. So much so, that there are a couple companies that make TDI conversion parts for these vehicles. Engine mount brackets, flywheels, and bellhousing adapters to run TDIs with Samurai drivetrains. And if you know VWs, you know that TDI blocks and 2.0L ABA blocks have the same mounting and transmission provisions.

That's the plans as of right now.
      OMG

First, GREAT tin-top....I have always LOVED these little guys...I've never owned one, as all the ones in Ohio are also dented, destroyed "rock crawlers"....but I have owned a Tracker and LOVED IT!

Second, the VW 2.0 ABA swap is EXACTLY what I want to do as well (even listed such in the Car/Engine swap thread)

....and as you noted, lots of TDI conversion bits are available, so you sir are my spirit animal!
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

6. Member
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      09-24-2019 09:47 AM #30
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 09-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-24-2019 09:55 AM #31
      I assure you that it is not rust protrusion. It's factory glue remnants that used to glue down the orange/brownish sound deadening pads under the carpet. I could have gotten it all off with a little more effort, but I would have had to scrape it.
      Good!

Yeah, I can relate to that, too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

8. Member
      Cars
      09-30-2019 10:36 AM #32
      Here are some updates from over the weekend. I didn't get as much as I had hoped I would checked off the list, but I still made decent progress. The Samurai came to me with carpeted, blue floor mats that looked like they were period correct judging by their condition. I promptly disposed of those and went on the hunt for something All Weather and size-appropriate for the little footwells in this vehicle. Unfortunately, nothing vehicle-specific could be located, even thru WeatherTech. I headed to my local Parts Store and found these "cut to fit" gems for $24.99. I did just that and the fit was actually quite good.

I also secured an engine for the ABA swap. It is coming out of a 2001 Cabrio with 82,000 miles on it. Dealer maintained and the timing belt was just performed. It belongs to a good friend of mine, who is in the midst of a AFP VR6 swap in that car. This is basically one of the last of the good, low mileage ABA engines around here. Unfortunately these Mk3.5 Cabrios have Immobilizers in the ECUs, and I didn't want to deal with that, so I had to find an earlier model ECU and harness. I tracked one down at a local independent foreign auto shop local to me, out of a 1998 Cabrio which does not have an Immobilizer.

I gutted the harness, removing all the unnecessary items within. This one shall remain unwrapped until the Samurai wiring integration is all figured out, because I feel like I'm going to have to add wiring to this harness.

Harness as received:

Gutted harness:

Remnants to be saved for future wiring projects:

I also replaced the door window weatherstripping. The stuff that was in there was completely dry rotted and wilting into fibers. Completely missing in many places, I thought this stuff would basically fall out while removing it....boy, was I wrong. For some unknown reason, the old stuff did not want to come out and fought for dear life the entire time. I finally won, and got all the old stuff out and into a pile of felt rubble on the driveway.

The existing weatherstripping, what was remaining, as received:

The old stuff:

I removed the door cards for access to the lower channels. The Vapor Barriers were in rough shape and partially held on with duct tape. I will address this:

New Weatherstripping:

New Weatherstripping installed:

Next up was the Radio Antenna. It broke at some point in its life and resulted in terrible reception. A direct replacement was ordered and installed with great results.

Antenna, as received:

New Antenna:

Removing the old Antenna and fishing the new cabling through:

And finally, the new Antenna installed:

Another issue with the Samurai is the large bullseye in the upper passenger side portion of the glass. I went to the local glass company to see if this could be epoxy filled. I was doubtful, but they said it IS repairable. Just for the heck of it, I got an estimate on a full glass replacement, $289. This would be out of pocket to me, because I only have liability on the Samurai. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yet. It is 1-1/4" long from crack to crack.

The oil leak has been monitored and it isn't fixing itself. It appears to be coming from the valve cover in a couple of places. I'm not sure I'm going to address this one, since an engine swap is in its very near future. What you see in the pan is about 12 hours of drips collected:

Last up for this past weekend was to sort out the headliner, or at least get started on it. The Samurai came to me sans-headliner. The previous owner told me that he was "driving with the windows down and the wind caught an edge and the the thing let go like a sail".

The early Samurais had their headliners glues directly to the roof panel, no backer board. All that remains from the old one is glue and old foam.....LOTS of glue and old foam. The replacement I had in my mind was to make a backer board with headliner material glued to that, instead of attempting to install headliner material directly to the roof and also deal with scraping all the old glue and foam. The old foam will also act as a vibration reducer between the top of the new backer board and the underside of the roof panel.

I went to the local Joanne Fabrics and purchased two yards of light grey "headliner material" and to Lowes to pick up a 1/8" sheet of hardboard for the new backer. I measured twice and cut once:

There's a stiffener bar that goes left to right under the roof that I plan to use as my seam concealer. The new headliner will be two-piece for ease on install. The board slides nicely between the roof sheet metal and the roof frame.

Once both pieces were test fit, I placed the stiffener bar back in and determined that the 1/8" thick hardboard is too thick to anchor the bar back in its original place. I'm going to re-think 1/8" hardboard and most likely go with sheet plastic, which is considerably thinner. I'm not sure if that will work or not, it may be too thin and sag....we shall see.

Anyways, here's what it looks like with both panels installed and the stiffener bar mocked in place:

That's all for now.....stay tuned.
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 10-02-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Cars
      1986 XJ Cherokee, 2004 Pathfinder
      09-30-2019 10:55 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      I never realized how much I wanted a rotary swapped Samari until now.
      Came here to mention that I'm living in PR again and Samurais are some of the most popular cars to modify and cruise around in. They are E V E R Y W H E R E on Sunday afternoon and night, the approved "cruise time". Rotaries are pretty common. usually when you hear a loud Brap Brap it's either a very clean RX-3 or a Samurai!

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      09-30-2019 11:13 AM #34
      awesome on all fronts

that headliner is gonna look great

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      09-30-2019 11:35 AM #35
      was wondering about how your shipping experience went the other day. Looks like everything (-windshield?) went well
      Dave

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-30-2019 11:48 AM #36
      The project is looking really good. I had a couple of friends back in the day, one a soft top and another a tin top. They were fun little buggers to flog around town.

Something to consider, depending how you're putting the headliner backer board in, is that some manufacturers now are using crazy strong magnets hot-bonded to the back of the headliner shell, and it just attaches nicely to the underside of the roof without extra lateral stiffeners or bars showing. It gives a cleaner look, especially in these days of big moon roofs, side curtain airbags, overhead vents, etc.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

13. Member
      Cars
      09-30-2019 11:53 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      was wondering about how your shipping experience went the other day. Looks like everything (-windshield?) went well
      Hey Dave. Yes, the shipping experience was fantastic. Montway was the broker and charged me $220. They arranged for the shipping company (a Massachusetts company) to pick up the Samurai and when they showed up in Portsmouth, I paid them $850. FYI, it was $500 cheaper to deliver to Portsmouth, NH then it would have been to ship to my home, 40 miles north. Had I chose to fly out to Houston, TX and drive it home, it would have cost me the price of a flight, fuel, overnight expenses, tolls, etc. All in a vehicle I've never looked at, which is incapable of going more than 65mph. Had it broken down on the 2000 mile journey (which was VERY likely), I still would have had to arrange transport and book a new flight home for myself. It wasn't worth the potential risk for nearly the same amount of money.

The windshield is a bit of a mystery. The seller didn't disclose any glass damage, nor was anything noted on the bill of lading at initial check in. The Samurai arrived to me and the driver did not go over the report with me, nor did I remember to go through it, myself (too excited to think straight). After the driver left, I noticed the bullseye. I mentioned it to the seller (not looking for anything) and he then informed me that there was a "small rock chip" in that area in question. Was there actually one initially, was it the same one, did this one occur on the car carrier, who knows. If that's the worst that happened over this whole ordeal, I'm not complaining.

When I gave my survey to Montway, I mentioned the damage that was not on the bill of lading and the driver not going over the vehicle with me. They suggested I file a claim, which I did not do, because otherwise, I was completely satisfied.

14. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      09-30-2019 12:04 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      I love the tin tops. Looks like you found a great one.

Much cheaper to ship in a clean one than fix rust.
      x2 on the tin top.

Lift it.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-30-2019 12:21 PM #39
      The windshield is a bit of a mystery. The seller didn't disclose any glass damage, nor was anything noted on the bill of lading at initial check in. The Samurai arrived to me and the driver did not go over the report with me, nor did I remember to go through it, myself (too excited to think straight). After the driver left, I noticed the bullseye. I mentioned it to the seller (not looking for anything) and he then informed me that there was a "small rock chip" in that area in question. Was there actually one initially, was it the same one, did this one occur on the car carrier, who knows. If that's the worst that happened over this whole ordeal, I'm not complaining.

When I gave my survey to Montway, I mentioned the damage that was not on the bill of lading and the driver not going over the vehicle with me. They suggested I file a claim, which I did not do, because otherwise, I was completely satisfied.
      Personally, I'd send a pic of the damage to the PO just to confirm it wasn't there and then file a claim. Shipping damage goes unchecked far too often.

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      09-30-2019 12:22 PM #40
      The Samurai arrived to me and the driver did not go over the report with me, nor did I remember to go through it, myself (too excited to think straight).
      Feel like I do this on every car purchase. Always end up missing something (although usually not a big deal).

Nice to hear it was easy other then that. I'm less enthusiastic about the idea of flying out to get a car then I was back in my younger days....
      Dave

Cars
      09-30-2019 12:24 PM #41
      I freaking this thread!

...that's all I got, keep up the good work!
      #ImWithHim

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-30-2019 01:15 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      Came here to mention that I'm living in PR again and Samurais are some of the most popular cars to modify and cruise around in. They are E V E R Y W H E R E on Sunday afternoon and night, the approved "cruise time". Rotaries are pretty common. usually when you hear a loud Brap Brap it's either a very clean RX-3 or a Samurai!
      Really? Huh. I figured you guys had too much salt in the air for either of those cars to still be anything but a pile of rust! I haven't seen an RX3 in many, many years, and it's been quite a while since I've seen a Samurai, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-30-2019 02:05 PM #43
      . After the driver left, I noticed the bullseye. I mentioned it to the seller (not looking for anything) and he then informed me that there was a "small rock chip" in that area in question. Was there actually one initially, was it the same one, did this one occur on the car carrier, who knows. If that's the worst that happened over this whole ordeal, I'm not complaining.
      I had a monster chip like that in my old Sidekick that I repaired with an at-home plunger kit with surprisingly decent results. You might give that repair place a try before you go in on a new windshield, unless you're trying to make this thing mint.

Looks like a fun project! I'm pretty sure the 65mph top speed on these things was actually a safety feature though- be careful with it when you put the new engine in!
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

20. Member
      Cars
      09-30-2019 02:27 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      I had a monster chip like that in my old Sidekick that I repaired with an at-home plunger kit with surprisingly decent results. You might give that repair place a try before you go in on a new windshield, unless you're trying to make this thing mint.
      The epoxy repair is $70.

New windshield is $289.

Is it worth 4x the price of the repair for new glass and seal, which is dry rotted to hell? I don't know. I certainly don't ever expect this thing to be mint, just a clean survivor. Open to suggestions.

21. Member
      09-30-2019 03:45 PM #45

Not all heros are big

Cars
      4 Cars, 30 cylinders, 2 turbos, 1500hp and 23 gears
      09-30-2019 04:03 PM #46
      love it

you should check out chillmatic on IG, he has built a nice little rotary swapped samurai as well.

23. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      09-30-2019 04:23 PM #47
      The epoxy repair is $70.

New windshield is $289.

Is it worth 4x the price of the repair for new glass and seal, which is dry rotted to hell? I don't know. I certainly don't ever expect this thing to be mint, just a clean survivor. Open to suggestions.

I'd replace it just to get the new seal. Those old dry rotted seals let water into the channel and hold it there letting rust start.

Pull the old windshield yourself. Clean up the channel then have the pros come out and install the new one. Considering it's flat glass you could probably install it yourself but for $289 I'd just let them do it.

Cars
      09-30-2019 04:39 PM #48
      I'd replace it just to get the new seal. Those old dry rotted seals let water into the channel and hold it there letting rust start.

Pull the old windshield yourself. Clean up the channel then have the pros come out and install the new one. Considering it's flat glass you could probably install it yourself but for $289 I'd just let them do it.
      I second this...I know the vacu-seal epoxy fixes are actually quite good, but a whole new glass and NEW SEAL totally worth it
      #ImWithHim

25. Member
      Cars
      10-01-2019 07:11 AM #49

I think you guys are right. A new windshield is the way to go.

Cars
      '94 FD RX-7
      10-01-2019 01:38 PM #50
      I have a friend in Northern VA who is selling the running pullout from his '94 RX-7. It's the engine, turbos, downpipe, trans, EMS, and all peripherals- he'd probably let it go for around $3K; he got some stupid idea to do an LS swap.

Cool project- I'm interested in following it regardless of the engine choice.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast