Fourtitude.com - 1 year, 12,152 miles, and 3,651 kWh is my Musk Machine ('18 Model 3 Performance)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      09-19-2019 10:34 AM #1
      I've owned my Model 3 Performance (M3P for this post) for 1 full year. I typically don't do reviews like this but I figured there has been so much talk about this car that it would be worth adding my point of view. For background this is my 18th car I've owned in the last 22 years. I've had an e46 M3, B8 Audi S4, a couple turbo Miata's, Chevy SS 6mt and most recently a '15 JGC SRT. I mention that because what I'm about to say needs some context. This is one of the best cars I've owned, and arguably my favorite!

Practicality
      The Model 3 isn't exactly spacious but it's a good size for a family of 4. I have a 4 year old daughter that rides behind my wife who's 5'-5", when I climb into her seat I still have room at 6 ft. even. The rear seats give an illusion of less than adequate headroom but the way the glass roof is constructed makes up for all that. The cargo space is large, every year we head to the beach with my family. I pack the car with a large cooler, bedding, towels, beach chairs, large stroller, suitcases, food for a week... it's a lot of $hit. In my past cars I've had to use a cargo top box for extra storage, this year with the 3 the only thing that went up there was the stroller. Between the frunk and the bottom level of the rear trunk, there's a TON of space.

The other part I wanted to mention in this category is Autopilot. Let me first start by saying the first mistake of Tesla was to call it that. It gives this illusion that you can sit in the car and it drives itself, that your attention is no longer required. This is what continues to get them in trouble recently. Cadillac calls theirs Super Cruise and somehow no one is picking on them. At this point many car manufacturers have the same basic functions as adaptive cruise and lane assist, they "drive themselves" similarly to Tesla's current setup. Enough of the rant, the fact is I purchased Autopilot and Full Self Driving during a sale, figured why not. So far I'm happy I did. My commute in the evenings is completely bumper to bumper for a good 10 miles. Autopilot makes easy work of it. I find my commute to be less stressful when I just let the car take over the stop and go side of the house. Autopilot itself still has it's faults but for me the functionality really helps on a daily basis.

Range and Efficiency
      When I first bought this car I was always worried about mileage and state of charge, constantly looking for the next charger. I would start sweating if the battery dropped below 50%. The truth is I haven't REALLY had anything to worry about, no close calls to speak of. I have a 25 mile commute to work, chargers are usually available on campus, and a 25 mile trip home. I don't currently have a charger at home but on occasion I will use my dryer's electrical connection to charge the car (10-30 plug). Between lots of stop and go and many higher speed drives I'm averaging about 300 watts per mile. That's roughly a realistic range of 250 miles, which is a bummer. With that said, on the highway going 70 mph and climate on I'm averaging around 270 wh/mi which is roughly 280 miles of range, and what I've found is in my old age a stop every couple hours isn't the worst thing. Our longest road trip has been to Baltimore from central NJ, I had to stop on the way down at a supercharger so I could drive around on the weekend without worry. The experience was easy, the charger was at a rest stop on the highway, we parked, plugged in, used the bathroom, grabbed a drink and some snacks, and were on our way.

So for 1 full year I have spent roughly $340 on electricity to charge my car. That's a combination of charging at the ChargePoint stations at work ($0.25 an hour) charging at home ($0.16 kWh) or the occasional Supercharger. That equates to roughly 2.8 cents per mile. My last car (JGC SRT) was roughly 23 cents a mile. My "gas savings" for the year is about $2,400. I know, I know, other variables, spent money to save money, bla bla bla. I get it, just throwing out a real world data point.

Driving Dynamics
      This is what makes this car impressive to me. Yes, the acceleration is disgusting. Instant torque, no drivetrain lag, it's insane how easy it is to propel yourself forward. That's old news however, and to me, isn't the best part of the car. The combination of the steering and low center of gravity is what gets me. The car feels so nimble and quick to respond. You can toss it into a corner with ease. It's extremely predictable and crazy fun. My only complaint is how soft the spring rates are. There is a decent about of body roll still which they obviously did to maintain some comfort. With the lower CG you can get away with softer springs but I think they're just a little too soft. My other complaint is how heavy the wheel and tire package is and how skinny the tires are. I'm sure they did the skinnier tires to maintain efficiency but the 30lbs a piece wheels negate that. You could probably get a set of 275's on there with lower weight than the overall package is today.

General Conclusion
      I love my M3P. I am not a Tesla fanboi (and I quite frankly hate those people) and am getting a little tired of all the Elon tweets and Tesla hate in the media. This car should be seen for what it is, a great driving sports sedan. From a pure transportation perspective it's not revolutionary, it gets you from point A to point B. It's fun, it rides nice, it's f'ing quick, but it's still just a car. I miss those cold starts of my v8's but I do not miss stopping at the gas station and figuring how much each mile cost me to drive. The Tesla is a very easy car to own and drive, we take my car most of the time when we head out as a family and it just fits that need perfectly. It is one of the few cars I've owned that honestly felt like an extension of my own body while driving. I would absolutely recommend anyone who's looking within this price range for a car take a serious look at it. I'd also say that any true car enthusiast needs to take one for a test drive, it won't check all your boxes but if you don't get at least a little excited by it's driving dynamics I'd question your sanity.

Not the best pictures but really it's just a stock Tesla, I think we all know what those look like now.

Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-19-2019 10:50 AM #2
      Thanks for this fanboy-free review. What % of your charging would you say is free? $340/yr to charge is nuts but not far from the $436/yr I calculated for fully charging at your annual mileage. That's not bad at all

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-19-2019 10:52 AM #3
      How's the white interior holding up?

Nice review, I really really like these. Can you talk about purchase price, discounts/type of financing, leasing available, etc? I understand if you don't want to.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      09-19-2019 10:53 AM #4
      Thanks for the write up. Appreciate you sharing your real world perspective with the M3P. Sounds like its working out well for you even without a dedicated home charger.

They are certainly popular at my office. We have 3 charging stations and they are usually taken by the time I get to work - all with Model 3's charging so if I got one I'd probably need to spring for the home charger.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      09-19-2019 11:01 AM #5
      Great review!

My wife wants the new 2020 Sonata and I told her she needs to drive the Tesla Model 3 before we buy the Sonata. She has multiple fast chargers at her office that are free and it would be perfect for the trips to our parent's houses as they are all within 60 miles (easy round trip without charging).

Any really long trip and we would use my vehicle.

Also I'm trying to get her to wait for the Sonata N which a larger engine.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      09-19-2019 11:16 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      How's the white interior holding up?

Nice review, I really really like these. Can you talk about purchase price, discounts/type of financing, leasing available, etc? I understand if you don't want to.
      I don't mind, it's public knowledge really. My car stickered at $72,000. NJ does not charge sales tax on electric vehicles so with destination and document fees it was $73,200. Which in retrospect seemed like a lot however, the Alfa I was comparing it against was about the same price. This was without EAP and FSD. Loans at the time were in the 4+% range so I ended up just paying cash plus my trade-in which was worth $40k. A few months later they made the performance package (wheels, brakes, etc.) free and Elon tweeted he'd refund anyone who paid for the package $5k if we wanted it. Believe it or not they actually made me whole on that one. So in the end it was 73,200 - 5,000 - 7,500 tax credit. So right around $60k. I also purchased EAP and FSD for $5k combined later on so all in all I'm in for $65,700 or so. If you spec my car out now it's $63,990 plus destination charges etc. and the tax credit is significantly lower. In the end the price has really remained quite flat for me.

As I understand it leasing is available but it wasn't when I first bought it. I would certainly go that route if I had to do it again as tech and offerings are changing so frequently in this space.

As for the white seats, mine have done very well. I've cleaned them off about once a quarter with some interior detail spray and it removes most of the dingy-ness. There is some dye transfer from my jeans on the seat that I need to get out, a test area proves it to be easy but we'll see once I tackle the whole seat.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Thanks for this fanboy-free review. What % of your charging would you say is free? $340/yr to charge is nuts but not far from the $436/yr I calculated for fully charging at your annual mileage. That's not bad at all
      I don't think I've gotten any free charging. My office chargers are REALLY cheap though. $0.25 an hour which gives you 6 kW if you're not sharing the machine with someone. That translates into about a cent a mile. Most of my charging is done at work. If charging were to be done only at home it would be in the $550 - $600 range. Which, truth be told, is still a ton less than my old Jeep, or the M3 or Alfa I was planning on buying instead.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-19-2019 11:29 AM #7
      Definetly a cool car, thanks for the write-up. If I wasn't looking for something bigger than the STI for my next vehicle I would really be considering a Model 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      but I do not miss stopping at the gas station and figuring how much each mile cost me to drive.
      iain

09-19-2019 11:32 AM #8
      Regarding pricing and leasing, everything is on Tesla's website.

A Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance that I spec'd out (Pearl white, white interior, no full driving capability) comes in at $56,990. TEsla is now running full leases on Model 3s, and on this example is quoting me a 36m/10k lease with $3,500 down for $626 a month.

It's not a screaming deal, but since it's direct from Tesla, there's no negotiation. You order the car over the website with your credit card and it is what it is. And it protects you from the EV depreciation issue via contractual depreciation, which I would take every single time.

The lease deal isn't all that much different than what 2019 Golf Rs are going for, if you want a comparison.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

09-19-2019 11:33 AM #9
      I'm surprised how nice your seats look. I've seen some seriously beat up white seats on the Teslas around here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      Tesla P3D, BMW e46 M3
      09-19-2019 11:34 AM #10
      Great review! I've had my P3D for almost 10 months and agree with everything you said. Not only do I have no regrets I love the car even more than I expected. The acceleration is still shocking and the range has never been a concern. I drove it on a few 4 or so hour road trips NY to VT, NY to PA and the supercharger network is fantastic. The car has been trouble free aside from wrecking the 20" rims (documented here https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...math_p3d_lost/). The future is clearly electric.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-19-2019 11:51 AM #11
      Thank you for the insightful and bias free review.

Glad you're enjoying the car, and I'm curious to see how these hold up over the next 6-10 years.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      09-19-2019 12:00 PM #12
      I've so seriously considered buying one. My current location and commute have been whats held me back from buying though.

I'm happy to hear a review like this.

On the flip side, even though you're only a year in, any maintenance? Updates? Glitches?

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-19-2019 12:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Regarding pricing and leasing, everything is on Tesla's website.

A Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance that I spec'd out (Pearl white, white interior, no full driving capability) comes in at $56,990. TEsla is now running full leases on Model 3s, and on this example is quoting me a 36m/10k lease with $3,500 down for $626 a month.

It's not a screaming deal, but since it's direct from Tesla, there's no negotiation. You order the car over the website with your credit card and it is what it is. And it protects you from the EV depreciation issue via contractual depreciation, which I would take every single time.

The lease deal isn't all that much different than what 2019 Golf Rs are going for, if you want a comparison.
      Is that lease all-in with IL taxes and everything?

That's some food for thought right there.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-19-2019 12:22 PM #14
      Damn, it's been a year already? I remember when you got that. Thanks for the detailed write up!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

16. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-19-2019 12:33 PM #15
      Thanks for the write-up; quite possibly the most reasonable and bias-free review of a Tesla product I've ever read.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      09-19-2019 12:55 PM #16
      For anyone considering a Model 3 Performance right now, Tesla might still have some stealth models in inventory but you need to call. These "stealth" ones come with the 18 inch aero wheels, no performance Brembos, no carbon spoiler but you save $5k. So its $50k plus $1,200 for delivery. Check my thread history where I picked one up.
      Slow Car Fast

18. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-19-2019 01:02 PM #17
      Another thumbs up for a straight forward review of the car. How has the paint held up? Also is there a spare tire solution for the Model 3 that doesn't involve just putting a full size wheel in your trunk thus killing cargo space? I seem to get flats a few times a year (although admittedly haven't had any since moving to CA from Dallas) and not having one with the X3 is a major PITA.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

19. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-19-2019 01:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      Any really long trip and we would use my vehicle.
      If you're going to North Dakota, then sure. But I'm amazed at how good the CCS DCFC network is today; really improved just in the last year. From Ohio, I'd feel comfortable with a something like a Bolt going to Niagara Falls, Chicago, Nashville, Anywhere in the BOSWASH corridor, etc. Tesla I believe has even better coverage as of today. So these cars are totally viable for most long distance travel.

20. Member
      Cars
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      09-19-2019 01:15 PM #19
      Thanks for the review.

Just a question, instead of relying on your dryer outlet, why don't you just plug it into Level 1 at home every night? A friend of mine has a similar commute (50mi each day), and he just charges on a regular wall outlet. On weekends the car is plugged in roughly 20 hours a day, so he gets over 400 miles of range per week on a Level 1 charger. He only plugs into public chargers on road trips.

If you have cheaper off-peak rates it might save you some money.

Then again, there isn't much to save, your cost per mile is already so low, it's just for the convenience factor of never having to plug into public chargers...
      Last edited by Dubveiser; 09-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-19-2019 01:30 PM #20
      Nice, complete, write up. I have some practical minded questions I thought of as I was reading your review:
      1) Have you noticed any decrease in range as the car/battery has gotten older?

2) Does the battery lose charge if the vehicle is not driven (and not plugged in) for a certain period of time, and if so, how much of a decrease did you notice?

3) Have you noticed a difference in range based on outside temp? Also which has a bigger impact on range, running the heat or the a/c?

Still not sold on this form of propulsion, but certainly every owner review I read certainly helps me form a more informed opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cars
      Tesla P3D, BMW e46 M3
      09-19-2019 01:45 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 03_uni-B View Post
      I've so seriously considered buying one. My current location and commute have been whats held me back from buying though.

I'm happy to hear a review like this.

On the flip side, even though you're only a year in, any maintenance? Updates? Glitches?
      I have the same car, in the 10 months, the only extremely minor issue I had was a cabin temp sensor that needed replacement. The HVAC worked but I had to manually adjust the fan speed (the horror). I scheduled service via the app and the visit took around 40min to replace it. Essentially it's been flawless.

Cars
      Tesla P3D, BMW e46 M3
      09-19-2019 01:48 PM #22
      1) Have you noticed any decrease in range as the car/battery has gotten older? Not yet for me, seems like it's typical to have 97+% of the original range after 5 years based on model S owners.

2) Does the battery lose charge if the vehicle is not driven (and not plugged in) for a certain period of time, and if so, how much of a decrease did you notice? Yes, a few miles a day.

3) Have you noticed a difference in range based on outside temp? Also which has a bigger impact on range, running the heat or the a/c? Cold temperatures have a tremendous impact on range. When it's below freezing you can easily lose 30%

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Nice, complete, write up. I have some practical minded questions I thought of as I was reading your review:

Still not sold on this form of propulsion, but certainly every owner review I read certainly helps me form a more informed opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cars
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      09-19-2019 01:50 PM #23
      It sure is a screaming deal, too bad Peso is weak to the USD, i would jump all over it, but it still almost 2.5 times what i pay for my car, even if i factor in my gas expenses, it still double what i pay for my current car.

But i've been more and more intrigued about them.

Cars
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '15 BMW i3 BEV
      09-19-2019 03:06 PM #24
      Another P3D owner here. While I agree on most said here, I am surprised to see the soft seats get a pass. On a track they become a bit of a detractor as they are not nearly supportive enough.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      09-19-2019 03:30 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Another P3D owner here. While I agree on most said here, I am surprised to see the soft seats get a pass. On a track they become a bit of a detractor as they are not nearly supportive enough.
      I agree with you about the less than M3 like seats for real cornering. I wish there was an available upgrade. Fun Fact: Tesla makes their own seats while most OEMs use one of 3 suppliers. I just wish they made a sportier seat and a black headliner!

Great write OP. One thing I'd do differently in your shoes is in getting the home level 2 charger. My work has straight-up free charging but I rarely use it as I have to switch spots with other EVs and its a whole thing. Nothing like leaving every single day with a full charge from your home charger even if its a few more bucks a month.

BTW, how many of us on TCL have Model 3 Ps now?
      Slow Car Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast