VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Identify metal in oil pan. I found this in bottom of oil pan

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  GTI's 
#1 ·
I had a working car with a engine light , I replace tensioner chain and re-timed and now a oil low pressure warning. i did not have one b4

Figure my oil pickup on pump was clogged. i found some pieces of plastic and this in my oil pan .. But can not identify them .. maybe someone with more experience could tell me what exactly broke apart in my pan..?

this is a 3/8 drive with a long 10mm on it for size

does this engine have any springs that look like that?

Is that part of a cylinder? it does not look like a rod or anything that i can identify in the engine. I am trying to verify what these came from..

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
too small

The spring pieces are far to small to be High pressure fuel pump spring.

does this ea113 engine have a spring anywhere in here that small? i keep thinking the tensioner for the oil pump. but what are thous half rounded pieces.. certainly not even close to anything HPFP

The big plastic pieces i am not sure where they came from because there was nothing broken with black plastic in there.

i am starting to get the feeling that the pieces where left over from something else and the dealer was to lazy to clean out the oilpan or worse it sat on the floor or something and crap fell in and they only fished out and some got left and they buttened it up with crap in my oil pan and no one knoticed?@
(car was dealer maintained, Owasco Whitby, ontario.. i have hear bad things)

#4 ·
There is a spring in the tensioner for the intake camshaft chain. Do you have a rattle on startup or any other symptoms? That tensioner uses nylon guides to apply pressure to keep the chain tight. It's on the transmission side of the cylinder head. I just replaced mine not long ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
i changed the variable cam timing sprocket, i took the vw/audi labled one off and put a cheep Chinese one on that has no mention let alone a stamp of vw/audi so that is clearly not it.. but gives me something to research/compare..

gives a stronger argument to lazy left over metal

The pump looks new maybe leftover from a pump that broke.. but the pieces do not look like anything on the pump. i have not removed the pump yet I do not want to (excess work if this is left over crap.)

I changed the chain and spring tensioner for the intake camshaft chain but the one I took off seemed in good condition. it was starting to darken in colour but no cracks . it was a solid.. only removed because of how the car sounded. i also replaced some lifters.

Any more ideas.. if I could find the parts that have a spring like that or pieces like that where identifiable i would know that something is broke in the engine. but at this point scouring along engine rebuilds i see nothing (youtube) that looks remotely like thous pieces.

#9 · (Edited)
update091619

Ok i checked against the tensioner (oil) and the spring is far thinner.. and the tensioner is still on this one.. its like from previous owner it was left in here.. no one wants to see this..

The rounded piece is far more smaller rounding held up to a spare adjuster so that's not it either will get pics today

taking oil filter off today to analyse

good thing all my metal screens are intact..
hoping after i clean this up and fresh filter that i get oil pressure again? anything place i should check for blockage?

#12 · (Edited)
best answer

Thats the best answer so far

The pump is perfect in mine i am guessing there was alot more parts in the oil pan just the LAZY OWASCO (whitby, Ontario Audi dealer)people did not clean out the oil pan

every day i feel better now hopefully when i button it up the error of low oil pressure goes away,, Guessing some of those big plastic pieces where getting sucked up.. Hoping..

now my oil filter had little specks of metal i figure from my eaten cam follower.. So fresh filter Clean out of oil pan.. new oil.. hopefully thats all it was..

Now I still wounder is it worth it to take off the oil pump even though it solid looks like it was replaced to check if there is any more to clean up.. i have no idea how to time that. figure i leave it alone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.