Fourtitude.com - MK1 Cabriolet (86) - Springs, Shocks, Anti Roll - ADVICE Please
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      '86 MK1 Cabriolet
      09-14-2019 09:09 PM #1
      Hoping for some experience and advice.
      Want to slightly firm up and reduce as much roll as possible in my currently stock 86 Cabriolet. 14' wheels, standard tires. Don't want to Break the Bank <<<$$$

Cabby's are much heavier than tintop MK1s, hence the advice I've been given (including from Neuspeed directly), is that mk1 lower or race springs won't work., too low, particularly rear.
      I have found an ad for AST Springs, that does state Cabriolet, but it doesn't speak to spring rates. I am not familiar with this product, but understand them to be quality.
      Does anyone have AST Springs? On a MK1 or MK1 Cabby?? Comments?

In terms of Shocks, thinking something somewhat cheaper, but wanted opinions or advice please. Looking to keep a daily driver / aggressive weekend fun level of ride comfort.

Finally, although the cabriolets have more metal cross material as part of the frame buildup to compensate for the lack of roof, I am still wondering about anti roll, or even sway bars. I'm thinking rear only, as I am not looking to tighten up the front to the point of (more) oversteer tendency.

Has anyone added Anti Roll? (can you even do so on a MK1 Cabriolet?)
      Thoughts on Sway bars?
      '86 MK1 Cabriolet "Helmut", and Co-Pilot Abby the Lab

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-15-2019 11:59 AM #2
      Anti roll bars and sway bars are the same thing. The only difference is the spelling.

I have heard the Scirocco II is similar in weight as the Cabriolet so maybe it's something to look into.

Way to many people start a project with a tight budget. I suggest that you save until you have the proper money to do it right. Cheap and right rarely work together.

You could try a newer Cabriolet since they have factory sway bars. Make certain you get all the hardware since most of that stuff is not available.

4. 09-15-2019 04:13 PM #3
      Given the relative lack of quality 14" performance tires in the 21st century, an upgrade to lightweight 15" wheels and tires should be on your list. I mean, what good is modifying your suspension to hell and back if you're still running 14" A/S or Touring tires?
      Anyway, a better plan than upgrading springs, and cheaping out on the dampers (shocks/struts), is installing decent performance dampers and using the stock springs. Even better is installing quality springs and dampers at the same time, that way the work, including an alignment, only has to be done once. Koni Sport dampers are rated for the Cabrio as well as the tin top cars. I am not familiar with AST, but for the price they better be good. H&R manufactures a quality spring.
      Also, you kind of have it backwards, installing, or upgrading, a larger front anti-roll bar will increase the tendency to understeer. Installing, or upgrading, a rear anti-roll bar will increase the tendency to oversteer.
      Other than spring and damping rates, the suspension of the Cabrio is identical to that on the tin top cars, so anything that fits on one should fit on the other with no issues.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '86 MK1 Cabriolet
      09-26-2019 04:57 PM #4
      I may have had my words a bit confused... made me do some re-learn, always a good thing!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwmDdMzzDjY

Stress bars vs sway bars was really what I was on about I think.
      upper ties vs lower. Again, I understand the Cabby to have significant structural reinforcement, negating any benefit of stress bars, particularly rear. Is this true?

Appreciate the comments. I will be looking at some H&R and hopefully Koni's. Won't be able to do a wheel upgrade until next summer, regardless.

If I could just get some of the Rolly / Polly body movement out of it on the corners, that'd be great.
      Cheers
      '86 MK1 Cabriolet "Helmut", and Co-Pilot Abby the Lab