Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-10-2020 03:17 PM #401
      Quote Originally Posted by AdrockMK2 View Post
      It's really growing on me, and the GT looks way better with the full black "grill" up front.

Can someone explain to me the (lack of) door handles?
      Looks like push-buttons on the door pillars, which probably pop the doors open.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-10-2020 04:42 PM #402
      Quote Originally Posted by AdrockMK2 View Post
      It's really growing on me, and the GT looks way better with the full black "grill" up front.

Can someone explain to me the (lack of) door handles?
      Push buttons on both doors, and a little flipper handle on the front door to meet safety regs.

Full explanation here:

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      06-10-2020 05:07 PM #403
      Created a solution for a problem we didn't have. Thanks Ford.

Looking forward to their 8 recalls on the door handles alone.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2020 08:12 PM #404
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Push buttons on both doors, and a little flipper handle on the front door to meet safety regs.

Full explanation here:

*video
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

6. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-10-2020 08:20 PM #405
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post

Going to be fun in winter!!!!

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2020 08:25 PM #406
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Going to be fun in winter!!!!
      But the cool people don’t live where it snows. Or something.

8. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-10-2020 08:33 PM #407
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      But the cool people don’t live where it snows. Or something.
      The people who engineered this live in icy Dearborn, MI.
      It seems like a willful miss, on their part.

I've had fuel-filler doors, windows, wiper blades, and doors all freeze shut, or become inoperable because they were covered in thick ice.
      Hopefully, the Mach-E uses some of that battery energy to keep the door latches/buttons heated.

9. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-10-2020 09:09 PM #408
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post

But wouldn't this be cool if Tesla did it? Yet when Ford does it, it's unnecessary complication?

^ honest question, not trying to troll

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      06-10-2020 10:23 PM #409
      The people who engineered this live in icy Dearborn, MI.
      It seems like a willful miss, on their part.

I've had fuel-filler doors, windows, wiper blades, and doors all freeze shut, or become inoperable because they were covered in thick ice.
      Hopefully, the Mach-E uses some of that battery energy to keep the door latches/buttons heated.
      I’ve only had one problem I couldn’t solve with the good old ice scraper. The old Chevy Volt’s cord did get frozen to the car one time. I had to get waifu’s hair drier out for that.

From what I hear the model 3 handles tend to melt pretty quick when the car cabin is preconditioned.

11. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      06-10-2020 10:30 PM #410
      electric door... what an useless "innovation" feature. I much rather have camera based side mirror.

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

12. 06-11-2020 01:01 AM #411
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      electric door... what an useless "innovation" feature. I much rather have camera based side mirror.
      Currently not permitted by motor vehicle safety standards in USA and Canada. Given that the Mach E is meant to go on sale in the very near future, that's not happening.

Given that Ford HQ is in Detroit, which has winter, I am thinking that Ford probably thought about what happens in winter. What they did about it, we do not yet know. It's not like conventional door locks and latches aren't capable of getting frozen, either.

13. 06-11-2020 07:18 AM #412
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      When you consider just how fast they can make electric cars, I can see this starting a whole new street racing trend...the police will need some high frequency detectors in their cars.
      Thermal sensors will not work, but you forgot about video capture cameras.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-11-2020 08:36 AM #413
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      It's not like conventional door locks and latches aren't capable of getting frozen, either.
      I've had the old VW door handles break on me in the winter.

And I know of people with '80s and '90s BMWs that had their door handles break in freezing rain.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      06-11-2020 08:53 AM #414
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      But wouldn't this be cool if Tesla did it? Yet when Ford does it, it's unnecessary complication?

^ honest question, not trying to troll
      Telsa's handles on the Model 3/S/Y are electronically actuated (much like the Lincoln Aviator) but at least don't require a separate motor to move the actual door. What really bugs me on the Mach-E is I'd much rather see a minor price reduction and regular reliable mechanical handles rather than this gimmick of a handle that's only purpose is to wow potential clients.

I do get your question. I feel like people (including myself) are a little more tolerant with Telsa's quirks.

16. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-11-2020 09:20 AM #415
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      I've had the old VW door handles break on me in the winter.

And I know of people with '80s and '90s BMWs that had their door handles break in freezing rain.
      That is a superficial problem. The handle works much like a late Beetle handle, but I've literally never heard of one of those failing. I've sold dozens of the Mk1 and Mk2 VW handles back when I sold parts, so that shows where the problem actually lies.

The electronic actuators are different on a fundamental level. how well they'll work remains to be seen, even without taking winter and dead batteries into account, but the benefit compared to the complexity is questionable - at best.

Cars
      06-11-2020 09:35 AM #416
      That is a superficial problem. The handle works much like a late Beetle handle, but I've literally never heard of one of those failing. I've sold dozens of the Mk1 and Mk2 VW handles back when I sold parts, so that shows where the problem actually lies.

The electronic actuators are different on a fundamental level. how well they'll work remains to be seen, even without taking winter and dead batteries into account, but the benefit compared to the complexity is questionable - at best.
      The point is, we have had traditional handles breaking in freezing rain and winter conditions for decades and never sat there and complained about them on normal cars, and hot rodders and customizers have been shaving handles for decades, but let an EV have something like this and it's a goddamn tragedy.

Where are the handles?

And my son's truck that he and I built that is currently in upstate NY:

If you live in an area where doors regularly freeze up, you have to deal with it with traditional handles, as well. Or remote opening gas covers, or like the Volt, the charging port (which also doesn't automatically pop open if it gets freezing rain or snow in it).

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-11-2020 09:44 AM #417
      The point is, we have had traditional handles breaking in freezing rain and winter conditions for decades and never sat there and complained about them on normal cars, and hot rodders and customizers have been shaving handles for decades, but let an EV have something like this and it's a goddamn tragedy.

Where are the handles?

*pics of custom cars

And my son's truck that he and I built that is currently in upstate NY:

If you live in an area where doors regularly freeze up, you have to deal with it with traditional handles, as well. Or remote opening gas covers, or like the Volt, the charging port (which also doesn't automatically pop open if it gets freezing rain or snow in it).
      Firstly, people bitched and moaned all the time about breaking door handles on VWs of the era. I know because I was behind the parts counter. I heard it almost every time. They were right in their griping, because it was a poor design or materials issue. If they were going to use plastic it needed to be thicker or of better material or... something. They broke and people hated it.

Secondly, you're showing pictures of custom cars owned by a tiny percent of a percent of the population, all of which are car enthusiasts and most of which aren't for daily drivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with production cars nor the general population and very little to do with winter conditions.

Thirdly, it's a "keeping up with the Teslas" gimmick. Regular door handles are not a problem and even if you want aerodynamic solutions that's been solved for decades without electronics. Look no further than the C3 Corvette or Subaru XT. I'm sure there are other examples, too. It's an electric gee-gaw and there's a good chance it will bite them or the owner in the ass and for what? What gain is there? It's to make people say "OooOOOOoooh!" and nothing more.

Cars
      06-11-2020 09:51 AM #418
      Firstly, people bitched and moaned all the time about breaking door handles on VWs of the era. I know because I was behind the parts counter. I heard it almost every time. They were right in their griping, because it was a poor design or materials issue. If they were going to use plastic it needed to be thicker or of better material or... something. They broke and people hated it.

Secondly, you're showing pictures of custom cars owned by a tiny percent of a percent of the population, all of which are car enthusiasts and most of which aren't for daily drivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with production cars nor the general population and very little to do with winter conditions.

Thirdly, it's a "keeping up with the Teslas" gimmick. Regular door handles are not a problem and even if you want aerodynamic solutions that's been solved for decades without electronics. Look no further than the C3 Corvette or Subaru XT. I'm sure there are other examples, too. It's an electric gee-gaw and there's a good chance it will bite them or the owner in the ass and for what? What gain is there? It's to make people say "OooOOOOoooh!" and nothing more.

We have electric openers in millions of current vehicles, from Corvettes to mini****ingvans. Think about modern tailgates and hatches that have push button openers, and minivans with automatic sliding doors. Hell, even Ford's innovation of swiping your foot under the rear bumper to open the hatch on crossovers and SUVs that is now spreading to other manufacturers. Don't talk to me about a "tiny percentage of enthusiasts." All of these motorized and electrically opened hatches and doors have been put through the ringer of winters and it seems like they are not going anywhere. So I have no doubt that the Ford stuff will work better than hand wringing, pearl clutching luddites will admit.

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-11-2020 10:02 AM #419
      We have electric openers in millions of current vehicles, from Corvettes to mini****ingvans. Think about modern tailgates and hatches that have push button openers, and minivans with automatic sliding doors. Hell, even Ford's innovation of swiping your foot under the rear bumper to open the hatch on crossovers and SUVs that is now spreading to other manufacturers. Don't talk to me about a "tiny percentage of enthusiasts." All of these motorized and electrically opened hatches and doors have been put through the ringer of winters and it seems like they are not going anywhere. So I have no doubt that the Ford stuff will work better than hand wringing, pearl clutching luddites will admit.
      I've had two Toyota Siennas with automatic sliding doors. One had one automatic one and one had two. All three failed. On a minivan it makes more sense because the doors are difficult for some people of small stature to open (especially on hills) and they're family vehicles where people are much more likely to be carrying babies or dealing with small children, so there's a practical aspect to it. The same is true with the rear hatches. They're there and work well if your hands are full so there's a practical benefit. All of those cars also had standard doors somewhere and even the sliders could be rocked open conventionally in icy conditions (I don't know about the rear hatches, as I've never had one).

These things merely crack the door open for you and you still have to deal with them conventionally, so there's no gain. If your hands are full of groceries or kids or... how do they help? As I said, this is an electronic gee-gaw and nothing more.

Not impressed.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      06-11-2020 09:15 PM #420
      I've had two Toyota Siennas with automatic sliding doors. One had one automatic one and one had two. All three failed. On a minivan it makes more sense because the doors are difficult for some people of small stature to open (especially on hills) and they're family vehicles where people are much more likely to be carrying babies or dealing with small children, so there's a practical aspect to it. The same is true with the rear hatches. They're there and work well if your hands are full so there's a practical benefit. All of those cars also had standard doors somewhere and even the sliders could be rocked open conventionally in icy conditions (I don't know about the rear hatches, as I've never had one).

These things merely crack the door open for you and you still have to deal with them conventionally, so there's no gain. If your hands are full of groceries or kids or... how do they help? As I said, this is an electronic gee-gaw and nothing more.

Not impressed.
      My SO's family has a ~2003 Odyssey with both power sliding doors. Car has ~400k km and they still work somehow.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

22. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-12-2020 09:36 AM #421
      My biggest gripe, in this door handle debate, isn't with the Ford Mach-E.
      It's with the Lamborghini Urus.
      The door handles on the Urus are unsightly, and not placed on the vehicle in a pleasing fashion.
      I would much rather see an exotic rare car like the Urus use these kinds of door opening tricks/electronics, versus the Mach-E.

06-24-2020 01:33 PM #422
      Order guide has been released... you can google it. Reservation holders will now be able to convert their reservation to orders with their dealers.

Here is the summary on order guide:

Appearance package: 19" wheels, black roof and trim + comfort features (cargo cover, hands free hatch, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, driver seat and mirror memory)

Tech package: Co-Pilot 360 2.0 prep, 360 degree camera + comfort features (cargo cover, hands free hatch, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, driver seat and mirror memory)

100A Select RWD - appearance package or tech package but not both, standard range or extended range

100A Select AWD - appearance package or tech package but not both, standard range or extended range

200A CA 1 RWD (AWD not offered) - Select RWD with tech package and 19" wheels, extended range only

300A Premium RWD - no options just colors, standard range or extended range

300A Premium AWD - no options just colors, standard range or extended range

301A First Edition AWD - no options just colors, extended range only

GT order bank will be open later.

24. 06-24-2020 03:14 PM #423
      My biggest gripe, in this door handle debate, isn't with the Ford Mach-E.
      It's with the Lamborghini Urus.
      The door handles on the Urus are unsightly, and not placed on the vehicle in a pleasing fashion.
      I would much rather see an exotic rare car like the Urus use these kinds of door opening tricks/electronics, versus the Mach-E.
      Urus rear door handles are horrible esp for the price of that thing.

The fact that Ford can implement their design on a significantly lower cost vehicle just demonstrates how Lambo phoned it in on that part of the design.

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      06-30-2020 09:16 AM #424
      I saw a white Mach E the other day. It looks really good in person.
      From behind, I thought it was an Italian semi exotic SUV.

They also have the configurator on ford.ca

26. 06-30-2020 10:08 AM #425
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      I saw a white Mach E the other day. It looks really good in person.
      From behind, I thought it was an Italian semi exotic SUV.

They also have the configurator on ford.ca
      Awesome to hear. I hope this is a success. I think Ford executed it really well.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast