Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
      Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-11-2019 01:41 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by mrbrettw View Post
      You think that's because of the grill or the styling of those models? It has nothing to do with their stale products, or most of their cars that don't compete very well in their respective segments, or their in car technology that's 10 years behind everyone? You're probably right, it's the grill.
      I wouldn't claim styling is the only thing holding them back, but it's part of it. The sort of person who wants a staid boring car that emphasizes comfort and reliability over all else also wants conservative styling to match.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2018 M4
      09-11-2019 01:44 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I don't recall anyone here saying these wouldn't sell. If Mercedes can sell the CLA I'm convinced the German 3 can sell absolutely anything. And I checked the forum rules- you don't need to own or be in the market for a car to express an opinion on it.

I think the grill is ugly, and unlike Audi/Lexus' grilles, a bastardization of one of BMW's trademark design elements. The rest of the car doesn't look bad, but unlike the F32/4 there's absolutely nothing to differentiate it as a BMW. If that doesn't deter you, god bless... again I don't think anyone here was commanding folks not to buy this car. Nobody cares what you do with your money
      Where did I say people were telling me what do with my money or anyone else's money? I was just countering the people in this thread and others that are swearing off the brand because of this styling exercise and claiming that this is the end of BMW. I just think the response is just a tad bit dramatic and I believe that people will get used to the design.

Cars
      E82M / W177 A35 / MSX125
      09-11-2019 01:46 PM #103
      This is probably going to be the first time the kidney grills will be bisected on the horizontal with a license plate front bar. Man that's going to look like ass.

It's almost as if Adrian's been there too long and has looked at too many BMW's over the years. I think the man needs a break.
      Last edited by MrRoboto; 09-11-2019 at 01:49 PM.

5. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-11-2019 02:01 PM #104
      Bigger Grill = Bigger Money!!

I mostly only care about interior design in cars, but I have no issues with this. Might as well make it stand out and differentiate it from the lease spec 3ers. Make it look special even if a bit controversial. This is truly what BMW needs to do since they hit a point in their portfolio where they had too many independent models that lacked differentiation from each other. It's either give a product line a reason for existing, or get rid of it.

6. Member
      Cars
      2018 M4
      09-11-2019 02:08 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I wouldn't claim styling is the only thing holding them back, but it's part of it. The sort of person who wants a staid boring car that emphasizes comfort and reliability over all else also wants conservative styling to match.
      Don't you guys remember when Lexus was getting all kinds of sh*t because of how boring their cars were and they needed more exciting designs, etc. etc.

Well, they responded with their spindle grill and their new design language (Nike swooshes everywhere) around 2014 and sales went up for a while. I would argue recently sales have reduced in the last couple of years because of the things I previously mentioned. Also, Tesla is stealing all kinds of luxury sales from everyone, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc.

And really, this is where car styling is going, almost all car makers are going with large in your face grills. Lexus - huge grills, Mercedes - huge grills, Audi - huge grills, Toyota - huge grills, Mazda - huge grills, Hyundai - huge grills, and now BMW.

Cars
      05 330ci ZHP conv; 15 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD; 15 535i
      09-11-2019 02:10 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      The car is striking and its bringing some boldness back to BMW. That I appreciate. However, the execution of the grille in particular is ridiculous. I'm sure we'll all get used to it in due time but I can't help but think BMW should've gone with this if they just had to do the chipmunk thing:

As noted above, it's not so much the size as the execution. If it were less angular, less fussy (simple vertical ribs as has been the tradition), and if the kidneys were separated by a painted area, I think it would be much less jarring. The sharp curves, grill ornamentation, and connection make it look less BMW. It's possible to be bold and advance brand identity--I don't think their latest efforts do that.

And don't get me started on the kink...

09-11-2019 02:25 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by mrbrettw View Post
      Also, Tesla is stealing all kinds of luxury sales from everyone, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc.

And really, this is where car styling is going, almost all car makers are going with large in your face grills. Lexus - huge grills, Mercedes - huge grills, Audi - huge grills, Toyota - huge grills, Mazda - huge grills, Hyundai - huge grills, and now BMW.
      Well, there is one car manufactures that is not going in that direction ... And that is also happen to be the manufactures which is stealing all the sales.

9. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-11-2019 02:29 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      Well, there is one car manufactures that is not going in that direction ... And that is also happen to be the manufactures which is stealing all the sales.
      Tesla sells like 300K cars a year globally vs millions for all its competitors... try again

09-11-2019 02:33 PM #109
      Tesla sells like 300K cars a year globally vs millions for all its competitors... try again
      Stealing all the sales which mrbrettw was referring to. Not stealing all the sales that those companies have.

Context. Try it.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-11-2019 02:39 PM #110
      I suppose I'll have to see it, but wow. That's terrible. All I see from behind the B pillar is the current mustang. The e92 isn't the prettiest 3 series coupe, but not in the same league as this.

Ultimately though, this confirms my interest in moving to a c7 or porsche sports car after the e92. I'm sure the 4 series cars will drive well, but man do they have the potential to be heinous. And for the record, I still think the bangle 5 series and 7 series look terrible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-11-2019 03:25 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I suppose I'll have to see it, but wow. That's terrible. All I see from behind the B pillar is the current mustang. The e92 isn't the prettiest 3 series coupe, but not in the same league as this.

Ultimately though, this confirms my interest in moving to a c7 or porsche sports car after the e92. I'm sure the 4 series cars will drive well, but man do they have the potential to be heinous. And for the record, I still think the bangle 5 series and 7 series look terrible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Yeah, I see a snouty Mustang.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

13. 09-11-2019 03:41 PM #112
      I don't recall anyone here saying these wouldn't sell. If Mercedes can sell the CLA I'm convinced the German 3 can sell absolutely anything. And I checked the forum rules- you don't need to own or be in the market for a car to express an opinion on it.

I think the grill is ugly, and unlike Audi/Lexus' grilles, a bastardization of one of BMW's trademark design elements. The rest of the car doesn't look bad, but unlike the F32/4 there's absolutely nothing to differentiate it as a BMW. If that doesn't deter you, god bless... again I don't think anyone here was commanding folks not to buy this car. Nobody cares what you do with your money
      On the contrary, what you do with money is the only thing car companies care about. Cars are made for people with money, not for armchair Art experts.

Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      09-11-2019 04:21 PM #113
      That new 4 takes everything that was fantastic about Edsel styling and doubles it for your pleasure.

Cars
      2002 VW Golf
      09-11-2019 07:29 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      That new 4 takes everything that was fantastic about Edsel styling and doubles it for your pleasure.

Cars
      05 330ci ZHP conv; 15 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD; 15 535i
      09-11-2019 08:41 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post

Dammit that's a brilliant fusion of old and new.

Cars
      Group B WRC, Group A DTM, and BHRC Cat 3.
      09-11-2019 11:10 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post

That is when the artists at BMW starting hitting the rock...

If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

What is a Homologation car you ask?
      http://www.fia.com/list-previously-homologated-cars

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      09-12-2019 12:00 AM #117
      So I avoided this thread and then had to click once I saw it was five pages. Saw the OP and actually belly laughed. Oh man

19. 09-12-2019 12:28 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      So I avoided this thread and then had to click once I saw it was five pages. Saw the OP and actually belly laughed. Oh man

Cars
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, 2005 Century, something else
      09-12-2019 03:08 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      The sort of person who wants a staid boring car that emphasizes comfort and reliability over all else also wants conservative styling to match.
      That's me. How did you get into my head? Can you get out now? Are you still in here?

Cars
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      09-12-2019 11:41 AM #120
      I guess this was too much to ask for.

22. 09-12-2019 11:46 AM #121
      Yikes. You're going to really have to want an M3 with that grille on the front.

I just don't know what they were thinking.

It's a shame, because the 3 series is a really good looking car. And the top version is going to be ruined by German gaudiness.

I mean, what is it going to look like with license plates on the front???? Even a Euro plate is going to be horrific on this thing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345